Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • edinburgher
    • By edinburgher 30th Oct 17, 5:22 PM
    • 11,118Posts
    • 59,698Thanks
    edinburgher
    The Edcawber Principle
    • 30th Oct 17, 5:22 PM
    The Edcawber Principle 30th Oct 17 at 5:22 PM
    I think I promised a new and improved positive diary earlier on in the summer

I'll try my best to keep it short and sweet, (unlike my credit card statements). Cutting a long story short, after renovating the house and an accidental car purchase (hey, it could've been a house!) we are probably better candidates for DFW

We're now left with a much more relaxing house (we just finished our bedroom), a new car and 20,000 in credit card debt

The new job goes fairly well, all things considered and our budget is starting to balance on a month-to-month basis. Basically I've said yes to everything, which is lovely, but immature. Mrs E realises the lie of the land and is supporting efforts to get back on an even keel. I'm eb@ying, saving cashback and making overpayments every Monday.

DD and Mrs E are doing fabby, DD is the apple of our eye and remains chatty, affectionate and madcap
Page 28
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 3rd Mar 18, 7:00 PM
    • 53,900 Posts
    • 213,229 Thanks
    beanielou
    Lead acid?! I was assuming lithium...

Those do cost - about half is postage...

I'd wait and see how March shapes up before dismissing it as anything other than eminently sensible...there's a low headed in at the end of next week which may "bless" Scotland with northerlies as it passes...
    Originally posted by ZTD
    What does this mean pplease?
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger.
    • edinburgher
    • By edinburgher 3rd Mar 18, 7:17 PM
    • 11,118 Posts
    • 59,698 Thanks
    edinburgher
    Low pressure, northerly winds, cold?
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 3rd Mar 18, 7:46 PM
    • 53,900 Posts
    • 213,229 Thanks
    beanielou
    Low pressure, northerly winds, cold?
    Originally posted by edinburgher
    Can cope with that.
    But hopefully not more snow?

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Keep plodding***
    • edinburgher
    • By edinburgher 3rd Mar 18, 7:57 PM
    • 11,118 Posts
    • 59,698 Thanks
    edinburgher
    Yeah, CBA with more snow
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 3rd Mar 18, 8:10 PM
    • 53,900 Posts
    • 213,229 Thanks
    beanielou
    Yeah, CBA with more snow
    Am so sick of it.
    Oh well day 5 & counting

***Keep plodding***
    • ZTD
    • By ZTD 4th Mar 18, 12:59 AM
    • 23,730 Posts
    • 42,865 Thanks
    ZTD
    What does this mean pplease?
    Originally posted by beanielou
    Basically, a low pressure system has winds spiralling in anticlockwise - think of the cliched bathtub swirl.

If we have a low pressure system come in, southish and close, the top part of it will draw in winds from the north and east. Those are cold winds, as that where the pole and siberia are...

So, we have this...

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/en/topkarten.php?map=1&model=gfs&var=1&run=18&time=78 &lid=OP&h=0&mv=0&tr=3#mapref

Winds in Scotland look to be coming from the east (think anticlockwise spiral). If the system moves eastwards (the prevailing wind direction), then the winds will gradually come from the north. Either of these are cold.

So caveats...

I've upset people in the past with my contempt about the accuracy of weather forecasts - there's lies, damned lies, statistics, Government statistics, then way out there are weather forecasts.

It may not happen, and certainly won't happen like the weather forecasts say - but certainly don't be mocking Mrs E and her heated throw until it hasn't happened...
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "We were born and raised in a summer haze." Adele 'Someone like you.'
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 4th Mar 18, 12:44 PM
    • 29,165 Posts
    • 166,409 Thanks
    Karmacat
    I have the muscle tone of droopy plasticine
    I laughed out loud, and I'm still sniggering at that one

38.57 paid off a CC (Am@zon voucher recycling)
    Oh .... that's interesting, Ed, I have 50 of Am@z vouchers sitting there at the moment, cos of the "free" SB thing. I can find useful purchases, sure, but that sounds useful too. V quick summary?
    Retired August 2016
    • edinburgher
    • By edinburgher 4th Mar 18, 4:36 PM
    • 11,118 Posts
    • 59,698 Thanks
    edinburgher
    Buy something from Amazon with a voucher, save the money the voucher let you not spend in cash.

I am a horrible father. 5 days housebound with a sick toddler and I cannot wait to get into work for a rest
    • PositiveBalance
    • By PositiveBalance 4th Mar 18, 7:15 PM
    • 710 Posts
    • 3,627 Thanks
    PositiveBalance
    Buy something from Amazon with a voucher, save the money the voucher let you not spend in cash.

I am a horrible father. 5 days housebound with a sick toddler and I cannot wait to get into work for a rest
    That is the line that literally every single working mother I know uses about going to work.
    Original debt to source: 11,640.02; debt repaid: 6201.01 (53%); remaining debt: 5439.01
    0% CC balance: 4999.67 now 3997.54
    Emergency Fund (#187): 0/1000
    Terrimundi: 30.00ish
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 4th Mar 18, 10:39 PM
    • 29,165 Posts
    • 166,409 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Oh! The normal
    I thought you had some supery-dupery new deal to wring some extra dosh out of them sorry

I've fixed that first bit for you:

"I am a horrible completely normal father."

Hope DD feels better soon, thats a long time for a littl'un.
    Retired August 2016
    • edinburgher
    • By edinburgher 5th Mar 18, 9:35 AM
    • 11,118 Posts
    • 59,698 Thanks
    edinburgher
    DD seems a bit chirpier this morning, although she was a wee bit upset as decided to get herself out of bed, but got stuck in the barrier Might want to adjust that when I get home

Another day, another dollar. 215.82 paid off a CC (regular payment, H@lifax reward, a few in interest from some defaulted P2P loans). It is all feeling a bit interminable again - I'll need to try and use the magic Am@zon seller app to scan a few more coffee table books for sale this evening. Credit utilisation has snuck under 65%, which is something I suppose is helpful (MSE Credit Club suggests that lenders won't even talk to you unless you're under 60%, which will affect my prospects for any BTs next year unless I resolve it).

Back to work and high drama has ensued about a mooted transfer of some responsibilities. I am taking a page out of "Don't Sweat the Small Stuff" to heart and am not getting caught up in it I will speak to the various parties with an open mind and if it is manifestly unreasonable, well that's why I'm in a union.
    Last edited by edinburgher; 05-03-2018 at 12:29 PM.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 5th Mar 18, 1:57 PM
    • 53,900 Posts
    • 213,229 Thanks
    beanielou
    Good news on the credit utilsation

***Keep plodding***
    • edinburgher
    • By edinburgher 5th Mar 18, 3:21 PM
    • 11,118 Posts
    • 59,698 Thanks
    edinburgher
    The work thing didn't work out amicably. Such is life

Edit: and it would appear that DD has chicken pox
    Last edited by edinburgher; 05-03-2018 at 4:07 PM.
    • edinburgher
    • By edinburgher 5th Mar 18, 4:14 PM
    • 11,118 Posts
    • 59,698 Thanks
    edinburgher
    Let's hope my decision to cut the CC debt will pay off
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 5th Mar 18, 4:27 PM
    • 53,900 Posts
    • 213,229 Thanks
    beanielou
    The work thing didn't work out amicably. Such is life

Edit: and it would appear that DD has chicken pox
    Boo to the work thing.
    Poor DD

I do hope that the decision to pay off is right. I am sure it will be the right thing.

***Keep plodding***
    • AlexLK
    • By AlexLK 5th Mar 18, 10:27 PM
    • 6,066 Posts
    • 32,094 Thanks
    AlexLK
    Sorry to hear about the work issues and your daughter having chicken pox.

You should easily clear another 5% off your cards before next year. I'd bet you'll be looking at being at c.30% by next year.
    2018 totals:
    Savings 7,600
    Mortgage Overpayments 1,750
    • edinburgher
    • By edinburgher 6th Mar 18, 6:08 AM
    • 11,118 Posts
    • 59,698 Thanks
    edinburgher
    That would be lovely Alex, although probably at the high end of what we can accomplish. I'd estimate maybe 9-10k over the next 12 months, taking us down to 40%. I'm thinking this will be sufficient to at least BT the remainder for another couple of years. After the BTs, the debt will either be gone, or will be repaid aggressively after we remortgage
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 6th Mar 18, 8:43 AM
    • 1,638 Posts
    • 9,594 Thanks
    themadvix
    Just catching up. Glad to hear you made it to Mrs E's gran's funeral, despite the weather. Sorry to hear about the chickenpox though!
    OPs 2017 = 3103
    S&S ISA 2017 = 626
    OPs 2016 = 6142.12
    Starting balance 2012: 132000; balance Dec 2017: 96,822
    MFW2017 no. 38
    • edinburgher
    • By edinburgher 6th Mar 18, 9:19 AM
    • 11,118 Posts
    • 59,698 Thanks
    edinburgher
    Thanks Vix - she seems surprisingly chipper and not too many spots. Apparently all kids are affected differently and some aren't discomforted too much

Finally got TCB to pay out 26.25 for a CC application that failed to track - 10 blimmin' months of chasing!!! I have paid it off a CC, seemed fitting

A bit random, but for anyone with Ghibli fans in the family (or kiddies who can sit through a story), this book looks lovely, has lots of wholesome messages and is a steal at less than 3 I've picked up a copy to give DD at

*Edit: and another 5 paid off a CC - recycled a Mr M's voucher last night.
    Last edited by edinburgher; 06-03-2018 at 9:38 AM.
    • Eager_Elephant
    • By Eager_Elephant 7th Mar 18, 5:45 AM
    • 4,349 Posts
    • 24,569 Thanks
    Eager_Elephant
    Thanks Vix - she seems surprisingly chipper and not too many spots. Apparently all kids are affected differently and some aren't discomforted too much
    Sorry to hear DD has chicken pox.

Although you are only supposed to get chicken pox once in your life my DD was the same as yours, she only got about 10 spots and life carried on as normal but about a year later she caught it again and was defnitely a lot worse than the first time.
    I asked the GP about it and he said that if the first time is very slight they dont get the immunity they need to prevent them catching it again.
    Ninja Saving Turtle No. 34 for April
    NSD - 0/15
    (up to 2/4/18)
    My Diary is here - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2175629 (Eager Elephants Effective Everyday Excursion)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,589Posts Today

6,712Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin