Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • edinburgher
    • By edinburgher 30th Oct 17, 5:22 PM
    • 11,099Posts
    • 59,509Thanks
    edinburgher
    The Edcawber Principle
    • 30th Oct 17, 5:22 PM
    The Edcawber Principle 30th Oct 17 at 5:22 PM
    I think I promised a new and improved positive diary earlier on in the summer

I'll try my best to keep it short and sweet, (unlike my credit card statements). Cutting a long story short, after renovating the house and an accidental car purchase (hey, it could've been a house!) we are probably better candidates for DFW

We're now left with a much more relaxing house (we just finished our bedroom), a new car and 20,000 in credit card debt

The new job goes fairly well, all things considered and our budget is starting to balance on a month-to-month basis. Basically I've said yes to everything, which is lovely, but immature. Mrs E realises the lie of the land and is supporting efforts to get back on an even keel. I'm eb@ying, saving cashback and making overpayments every Monday.

DD and Mrs E are doing fabby, DD is the apple of our eye and remains chatty, affectionate and madcap
Page 22
    • edinburgher
    • By edinburgher 9th Feb 18, 9:50 AM
    • 11,099 Posts
    • 59,509 Thanks
    edinburgher
    I have lost another 1.6lbs, meaning I've lost a stone in less than month with no particular stinting or hardship

56.22 paid off a CC (sold 2 books on Am@zon and recycled some vouchers for a toy for DD and a few presents for her little friends)
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 9th Feb 18, 3:38 PM
    • 52,904 Posts
    • 208,208 Thanks
    beanielou
    I have lost another 1.6lbs, meaning I've lost a stone in less than month with no particular stinting or hardship

56.22 paid off a CC (sold 2 books on Am@zon and recycled some vouchers for a toy for DD and a few presents for her little friends)
    Originally posted by edinburgher
    Wow, excellent weight loss in a month
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger.
    • Suffolk lass
    • By Suffolk lass 10th Feb 18, 9:41 AM
    • 1,916 Posts
    • 20,233 Thanks
    Suffolk lass

As beanie says, that is excellent! Had that weight been gathered over a long-term period or was a it a period in particular, if you don't mind me asking? Just thinking we both gathered in about a stone and a half (each!) in the period I was pregnant and for the year following and have never successfully kept it off since then
    MFiT T4 #2 update 51.75% after Q8 5,203 behind where I should be
    Save 12k in 2018 #53 - after Feb 13.3%/10,000
    OS Grocery Challenge 2018 spent 452.64/3,000 including stores so far
    My DFD is here
    • edinburgher
    • By edinburgher 10th Feb 18, 1:33 PM
    • 11,099 Posts
    • 59,509 Thanks
    edinburgher
    I have always been a bit of a yoyo when it comes to weight SL, although the trend definitely got more predictable over the last 2 years (house renovations and the exhaustion of parenting). What is making the difference now is a) regular exercise and b) financial restraint (oddly enough). When your pocket money is getting cut every few months, you are really forced to prioritise the spends and guess what? Takeaways aren't that important

Finished my second last run from C25K at the gym this morning, then had a coffee and went to W@itrose for our Valentine's dinner. We had a 10 voucher from Christmas, so it worked out quite bargainous. Also picked up the obligatory free coffee, Saturday paper and free food magazine

Now off to try and watch a little bit of rugby, although DD doesn't want to nap and is having a strop!

10.55 paid off a CC (another Am@azon sale, a tiny bit of cashback and a TT).

Happy weekend friends
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 10th Feb 18, 2:37 PM
    • 52,904 Posts
    • 208,208 Thanks
    beanielou
    Happy weekend edinburgher & friends
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger.
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 10th Feb 18, 5:59 PM
    • 29,008 Posts
    • 165,128 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Enjoy the rugby, Ed, and I hope DD settled down
    Retired August 2016
    • rtandon27
    • By rtandon27 10th Feb 18, 8:50 PM
    • 2,150 Posts
    • 13,655 Thanks
    rtandon27
    That would suit me fine - I'm one angry !!!!!!! when someone ticks me off ...
    Ed - I'm starting to wonder if you are a long lost relative!
    ONE YEAR & 5 MONTHS DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 12th Feb 18, 6:48 AM
    • 4,172 Posts
    • 46,485 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Fantastic result on the rugger ed - really enjoyable game to watch.

I had meant to ask you last week - what on earth have y'all been feeding Jonny Gray up there? Surely he can no longer be called the 'little' brother of Ritchie - he seems to have morphed into a giant in a season!

Greying X
    'Ich habe genug'

'I am not in the pursuit of happiness, only in the discovery of joy' - Joyce Grenfell
    • edinburgher
    • By edinburgher 12th Feb 18, 9:22 AM
    • 11,099 Posts
    • 59,509 Thanks
    edinburgher
    I was very pleased Greying - had to move away from the living room light as I was jumping up and down so much

I believe Jonny is thriving on a diet of cow pie and protein shakes! Even the 'small' players are pretty massive these days, I think all the professional rugby players focus a lot more on strength work and nutrition. That's probably true of most sports - go back 40 years and international players looked like random guys from the high street - now they're very obviously sporting professionals

Edit: FIL actually had the pleasure of cooking for Mr Gray for several months while being in charge of the catering for one of his club sides. Reading between the lines, rugby clubs are very demanding customers and it sounded like they made very little profit despite the prestigious contract. That said, he always had a good word for the players, who were a lovely bunch and very appreciative. Apparently the quantities are ridiculous - multiple portions of fastidiously sourced lean meats, 2lbs of carbs per player and cauldrons of veg!
    Last edited by edinburgher; 12-02-2018 at 9:26 AM.
    • edinburgher
    • By edinburgher 12th Feb 18, 9:46 AM
    • 11,099 Posts
    • 59,509 Thanks
    edinburgher
    DD has a cold again - oh joy!

I had to abandon my bed last night to save Mrs E having to jump up every half hour with her. Felt awful for Mrs E, but apparently DD settled down about midnight. So feeling a wee bit like a half shut knife this morning.

Back at work and trying to keep a lid on annoyance with troublesome colleague, keeping my head down without accepting any nonsense

Spreadsheets updated and our NW has plunged along with that of most of the developed world over the last few weeks. Equities have shed 2k+ of value, our notional house price has dropped 9k (not a problem, I only track home equity vs. real purchase price) and my credit score has also taken a might whack because I closed a CC.

I have paid 220.91 off a CC and am looking forward to payday tomorrow. I know that 1k+ a month is still a very fast rate of repayment, but I am an impatient lad and pressing on the brake doesn't suit me

Behaving myself today with a NSD (had breakfast before I left the house and brought a cheap and nutritious packed lunch with my first HM yoghurt (delicious) <<<--- speaking of which, I believe our 15 bags @ 1.49 a bag arrive today along with the other constituents of our bizarre subscribe and save order (including hippy laundry detergent and biodegradable chewing gum)!
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 12th Feb 18, 12:06 PM
    • 29,008 Posts
    • 165,128 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Not that I use chewing gum, but biodegradable sounds a big deal, thats great!

Bags at 1.49 ... coffee? she said hopefully ...
    Retired August 2016
    • edinburgher
    • By edinburgher 12th Feb 18, 2:46 PM
    • 11,099 Posts
    • 59,509 Thanks
    edinburgher
    To be fair, I think that's the normal price of the L1dl Rainforest Alliance certified own brand stuff? I managed to pick up some nice Taylors of Harrogate stuff on offer, something like 7.50 down to 5.50 for a 3 pack of beans with another 15% off for putting through 5 seperate subscribe and save orders for the same thing

Could use some now, I am flagging!
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 12th Feb 18, 2:50 PM
    • 4,172 Posts
    • 46,485 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    I was very pleased Greying - had to move away from the living room light as I was jumping up and down so much

I believe Jonny is thriving on a diet of cow pie and protein shakes! Even the 'small' players are pretty massive these days, I think all the professional rugby players focus a lot more on strength work and nutrition. That's probably true of most sports - go back 40 years and international players looked like random guys from the high street - now they're very obviously sporting professionals

Edit: FIL actually had the pleasure of cooking for Mr Gray for several months while being in charge of the catering for one of his club sides. Reading between the lines, rugby clubs are very demanding customers and it sounded like they made very little profit despite the prestigious contract. That said, he always had a good word for the players, who were a lovely bunch and very appreciative. Apparently the quantities are ridiculous - multiple portions of fastidiously sourced lean meats, 2lbs of carbs per player and cauldrons of veg!
    Now you see ed, I was going to reference Desperate Dan's 'Cow Pie' - but I thought a youngling such as yourself would wonder what the hickey I was wittering on about! Yes, the 'shape' of rugger players has most definitely changed, hasn't it? Nobody looks like Brian Moore, anymore........ But even so - Jonny's transformation seemed particularly spiffing. I guess without Ritchie to 'stand-next-to' this year, perhaps he's come into his own and has a greater prescence as a player. And I'm delighted - as a vegetarian - to learn that top-flight strapping rugger players, eat.their.veg!

Greying X
    'Ich habe genug'

'I am not in the pursuit of happiness, only in the discovery of joy' - Joyce Grenfell
    • Goldiegirl
    • By Goldiegirl 12th Feb 18, 3:42 PM
    • 8,320 Posts
    • 48,797 Thanks
    Goldiegirl

Spreadsheets updated and our NW has plunged along with that of most of the developed world over the last few weeks. Equities have shed 2k+ of value, our notional house price has dropped 9k (not a problem, I only track home equity vs. real purchase price) and my credit score has also taken a might whack because I closed a CC.
    Our SIPPs and ISAs have lost a lot in the last couple of weeks. However, it's money for the long term, so this is to be expected from time to time, just got to ride it out. My app tells me that the markets are all 'green' today, so hoping things might settle a bit
    Early retired - 18th December 2014
    If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough
    • Goldiegirl
    • By Goldiegirl 12th Feb 18, 3:44 PM
    • 8,320 Posts
    • 48,797 Thanks
    Goldiegirl
    On the subject of Cow Pie, there's a restaurant near us which, for the last nearly 40 years, has a signature dish called Desperate Dan Cow Pie, complete with pastry 'horns'
    Early retired - 18th December 2014
    If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough
    • edinburgher
    • By edinburgher 12th Feb 18, 4:51 PM
    • 11,099 Posts
    • 59,509 Thanks
    edinburgher
    Our SIPPs and ISAs have lost a lot in the last couple of weeks. However, it's money for the long term, so this is to be expected from time to time, just got to ride it out. My app tells me that the markets are all 'green' today, so hoping things might settle a bit
    Originally posted by Goldiegirl
    You're right there Goldie, if anything youngish people should be praying for prices to fall as we're going to be buying for a long time...

I'm no longer as phased as I might have been since I have a DB pension again that I fully expect to provide the 'floor' for my retirement income. It gives me reasonable comfort to maintain dizzingly high levels of equities. I'm not allowed to leave the public sector until I pass my SIPP value again

Shouldn't take more than 4 years or so.
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 12th Feb 18, 8:21 PM
    • 29,008 Posts
    • 165,128 Thanks
    Karmacat
    To be fair, I think that's the normal price of the L1dl Rainforest Alliance certified own brand stuff? I managed to pick up some nice Taylors of Harrogate stuff on offer, something like 7.50 down to 5.50 for a 3 pack of beans with another 15% off for putting through 5 seperate subscribe and save orders for the same thing

Could use some now, I am flagging!
    I didn't know that my best price here is 2.30 which is almost exactly the price of the return rail fare to my nearest Lidl... and I'm passing another one on Friday ... okay, I have to make more of an effort to coordinate my shopping, 4 packs would compensate me for the rail fare, then I'd be quids in. Must do better.
    Retired August 2016
    • pavlovs_dog
    • By pavlovs_dog 13th Feb 18, 5:33 AM
    • 9,753 Posts
    • 23,657 Thanks
    pavlovs_dog
    we have a rugby academy attached to my school and the boys who enter go in as typical string bean teenage types and come out like brick outhouses
    know thyself

MFW 2018 #22 - 1700.05 /6,000 (28%)
    MFi3 v4 #29 target 75,000

Nid wy'n gofyn bywyd moethus...
    • edinburgher
    • By edinburgher 13th Feb 18, 9:30 AM
    • 11,099 Posts
    • 59,509 Thanks
    edinburgher
    Feeling very run down today - DD and Mrs E unwell and sleep is non-existent.

The 15 bags of coffee was slightly ridiculous - they'd stuck it all in a giant box along with a bulk container of F@ith in N@ture laundry detergent and then rammed the whole thing sideways in our wheelie bin!

In other first world news, I am disappointed with my biodegradable chewing gum I bought it because 1) normal chewing gum is basically plastic and 2) all their publicity shots just show basic cardboard packaging. Somewhat disappointed with what arrived, every individual package shrink wrapped and another layer over the bulk box. It also loses its flavour very quickly. Somewhat annoying as I'd paid over the odds for something that (I thought) would be better for the environment. I wonder if it's just one of those areas of life where there are bigger fish to fry? After all, how much chewing gum can one person put in the bin over a lifetime? Say 25 pieces a week for 45 years.... What's that? A cubic foot of gum?

On a more positive note, it is payday and I am looking forward to getting home after the gym this evening so that I can give the spreadsheets a good workout. Based on the logic that we can't afford a new car like the current one at the present time, a Council Tax free month and the first round of budget trimming, I think I can free up over 1,000, which will pay off the next smallest credit card and take us down to 4.
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 13th Feb 18, 10:56 AM
    • 29,008 Posts
    • 165,128 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Take care of yourself, Ed, being rundown and taking care of ill people is tough ...

Argh to the coffee/laundry detergent, and double argh to the chewing gum. Can I go back to basics and ask why you use it? Could anything else do its job, or do you just like it? Is there a HM recipe online or is it impossible? I never got into chewing gum, so its a closed book to me, but I'm interested, its really demonised around street rubbish collection etc ...

Erm, you're not well. Ignore above questions!
    Retired August 2016
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,811Posts Today

8,596Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Facebook today admitted in parliament that after it heard of my defamation lawsuit against it for 50 fake scam ads? https://t.co/XttOnyH9sq

• RT @jamiesusskind: After more than 10 years, and with such sadness, I am leaving Labour. I'm doing it for the same reason that I joined: be?

• RT @Deeangelique_: I suggested @MartinSLewis get 'I Don't Do Ads' tattooed to his forehead yesterday. Today he posted this. I gave Martin L?

• Follow Martin