Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Beartricks
    • By Beartricks 30th Oct 17, 4:36 PM
    • 126Posts
    • 154Thanks
    Beartricks
    Affordable Mobiles Shady Business Practices
    • 30th Oct 17, 4:36 PM
    Affordable Mobiles Shady Business Practices 30th Oct 17 at 4:36 PM
    I bought a phone on a new contract from Affordable Mobiles on Friday. At the time it guaranteed me that it would be delivered the next day pending a credit check. The phone was showing as 'limited stock' when I bought it.

It didn't arrive on Saturday. I logged in to my order this morning and it said that I had passed the check, but that the phone was out of stock and they were waiting to get it back in. When I clicked on the phone itself, it was still saying 'limited stock' on the page at the exact same time that my order was saying they were waiting to get some in. To me, limited stock means that they have stock in ready to go, not that they don't have any stock at all.

Anyway, at some point this afternoon their page changed to say deliverable within 2-3 days.

I know affordable mobiles has mixed reviews but I know a few people who ordered from them and they got the phone the next day. I also know that online reviews skew towards the negative so I took what I thought was a relatively small chance.

My problem is that I'm pretty sure selling something that you don't have is a dubious practice legally. At the very least it's false advertising to outright say that they have the phone in stock and it'll be delivered the next day when they clearly know that it wont. Aside from affordable mobiles themselves, who do I complain to about this? Unfortunately I don't have screenshots as I was trying to sort this out at work while doing a ton of other stuff. Normally I wouldn't care, but not having the phone over the weekend was a pain in the backside and the clear deception on their site has got my back up somewhat.

Any help would be appreciated, if there's anything I can do at all.
Page 1
    • mobilejunkie
    • By mobilejunkie 30th Oct 17, 5:16 PM
    • 7,819 Posts
    • 2,549 Thanks
    mobilejunkie
    • 30th Oct 17, 5:16 PM
    • 30th Oct 17, 5:16 PM
    Such a "deception" is actually quite common with other dealers too. The last phone I ordered took about 3 weeks to arrive (a different dealer, though I've nver had a phone from them yet which arrived as promised).

Unless there is a clause in the T&C you agreed to (and even if there is) your only real option is to cancel the order.
    • pmduk
    • By pmduk 30th Oct 17, 5:35 PM
    • 8,823 Posts
    • 6,567 Thanks
    pmduk
    • 30th Oct 17, 5:35 PM
    • 30th Oct 17, 5:35 PM
    You could complain to the Advertising Standards Authority who if they agree with you, will tell them not to do it again.
    • jnm21
    • By jnm21 9th Aug 18, 9:14 AM
    • 661 Posts
    • 172 Thanks
    jnm21
    • 9th Aug 18, 9:14 AM
    • 9th Aug 18, 9:14 AM
    That advice above is wrong - ASA will only deal with things not on their own website. Trading Standards are who you should complain to. If BBC Watchdog got a few similar complaints they may do a sting & test it out.

Did your phone ever arrive? Other than the stock issue, any feedback on affordable mobiles?
    • pmduk
    • By pmduk 9th Aug 18, 9:28 AM
    • 8,823 Posts
    • 6,567 Thanks
    pmduk
    • 9th Aug 18, 9:28 AM
    • 9th Aug 18, 9:28 AM
    Trading Standards doesn't take complaints directly from the public now.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,196Posts Today

8,203Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin