Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • anotheruser
    • By anotheruser 28th Oct 17, 6:55 PM
    • 2,601Posts
    • 1,526Thanks
    anotheruser
    Wood Burning Stoves
    • 28th Oct 17, 6:55 PM
    Wood Burning Stoves 28th Oct 17 at 6:55 PM
    Hi

I have a couple of questions about wood burning stoves.

We have an open fire at the moment and burn wooden logs. Although the chimney sweep says coal is more efficient in terms of heat per money spent.

Looking at a log burner then, what makes these so much more efficient? I guess it limits the amount of heat that goes up the chimney, redirecting it into the room instead?

Will you not just go through twice the amount of logs?

Can you burn coal in them?

How much do they cost to install? I realise prices will vary but a guide price would be good.

Thanks
Page 2
    • MX5huggy
    • By MX5huggy 11th Jan 18, 9:27 PM
    • 4,117 Posts
    • 2,689 Thanks
    MX5huggy
    We are currently in the process of buying a house which as 2 wood burners..they are beautiful..but are they easy to take out as one in the living room is taking up a lot of space to thinking of Taking that one out?
    Originally posted by Happydee83
    Depends on what you mean by take out. The stove is just a metal box connected to a flue pipe. Disconnect it lif stove out job done. But youll be left with a open flue pipe a hearth at least.
    • Eric_the_half_a_bee
    • By Eric_the_half_a_bee 11th Jan 18, 9:44 PM
    • 1,143 Posts
    • 5,894 Thanks
    Eric_the_half_a_bee
    They are expensive, taking the significant cost of the flue into account. But once installed, there is simply no comparison with an open fire. I would guess from experience in our home to create the same heating effect as an open fire requires 1/4 of the quantity of logs. From what I understand there are at least 3 factors that go into this:

1) a smaller percentage of the heat is lost up the chimney
    2) a far smaller "draw" of air up the chimney means that a lot less cold air is sucked into the house to replace that lost air (apparently this effect can be enormous with an open fire, severely limiting its ability to heat a house as a whole,as opposed to the 10 feet of the house in front of the fire)
    3) the (usually cast iron) stove itself is a much better radiator of heat into the room than the (brick?) surround of the open fire
    • FreeBear
    • By FreeBear 12th Jan 18, 10:29 AM
    • 1,647 Posts
    • 2,417 Thanks
    FreeBear
    we can hear the water running down into the stove when it is raining.
    Originally posted by eithnemc
    Do you have a cowl fitted to the top of the chimney and is it in good condition ?

It is also possible that the flaunching at the top of the stack is breaking up, and if you don't have a full length liner, water could get in this way.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
    • FreeBear
    • By FreeBear 12th Jan 18, 10:34 AM
    • 1,647 Posts
    • 2,417 Thanks
    FreeBear
    3) the (usually cast iron) stove itself is a much better radiator of heat into the room than the (brick?) surround of the open fire
    Originally posted by Eric_the_half_a_bee
    The brickwork will also absorb some of the heat and act like a storage heater. The chimney breast above my inset stove can reach 120C just above the fire (have temperature sensors embedded in the wall) - After the fire burns out overnight, the room is still at a reasonable 18C on a cold, frosty morning.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
    • Tincancat
    • By Tincancat 24th Jan 18, 10:03 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Tincancat
    They are relatively easy to take out but you need to think what you are replacing it with?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

66Posts Today

1,936Users online

Martin's Twitter