Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • chockydavid1983
    • By chockydavid1983 27th Oct 17, 11:29 AM
    • 594Posts
    • 360Thanks
    chockydavid1983
    Savings accounts accepting DD's
    • 27th Oct 17, 11:29 AM
    Savings accounts accepting DD's 27th Oct 17 at 11:29 AM
    Current list accepting new customers:
    Tesco (only until 04/18 for anyone)
    Scottish Widows Internet Saver Account (10 minimum DD and 10 minimum balance). Note: Seems to be unavailable atm (not sure if temporary or permanent)
    Post Office Online Saver (can only DD in from one nominated account, sketchy customer service feedback)
    Chip and Plum (app based)
    Birmingham Midshires Internet Saver Account (can only DD in from one nominated account, open with payment by cheque only, can change the linked account after)
    SAGA Telephone Easy Access Account (age 50+)
    https://www.wealthsimple.com/en-gb/ (unverified- see post #132)

Other DD ideas:
    Paypal (reported as in the process of being removed)
    Credit cards
    Charities
    Credit Unions
    Christmas Savings (not FSCS protected)
    http://www.littledebits.org

If you notice any of this information becomes incorrect or new accounts appear, PM me and I'll update this post :-).
    Last edited by chockydavid1983; 17-04-2018 at 10:20 AM.
Page 30
    • fabsaver
    • By fabsaver 12th May 18, 2:14 PM
    • 885 Posts
    • 1,781 Thanks
    fabsaver
    Wow, I tried again and still can't - I even tried with a different linked account that I haven't used before...... just get same "technical difficulties" message almost immediately when I submit the form!

Saying that, must be something wrong with my account because I can't withdraw money either... arrrggh! haven't been able to for days
    Originally posted by DennisTenus
    I can't seem to open Issue 30 either, using Chrome. When I click submit it thinks about it for a while then says "Sorry there has been an error".

I tried twice and same result both times. However I have received an acknowledgement email for both applications, so they might have gone through. Not showing under my existing login yet though.
    • niceyl
    • By niceyl 12th May 18, 9:37 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    niceyl
    Did Tesco send anyone else a voucher for a decent amount of clubcard points this month? I did wonder if it was a bribe to stay with them after cancelling my direct debits.
    • Anon
    • By Anon 13th May 18, 8:45 AM
    • 13,104 Posts
    • 147,321 Thanks
    Anon
    Did Tesco send anyone else a voucher for a decent amount of clubcard points this month? I did wonder if it was a bribe to stay with them after cancelling my direct debits.
    Originally posted by niceyl
    No, I received 7 off 50 and two 5 off 50 vouchers to encourage me to spend even more.
    • littly_kitty
    • By littly_kitty 13th May 18, 11:10 AM
    • 99 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    littly_kitty
    So reading through this thread it seems you can have multiple Post Office Online Saver accounts and set up different Direct Debits from them. Is that true, or have I got it wrong?
    • soulsaver
    • By soulsaver 13th May 18, 11:36 AM
    • 1,831 Posts
    • 768 Thanks
    soulsaver
    So reading through this thread it seems you can have multiple Post Office Online Saver accounts and set up different Direct Debits from them. Is that true, or have I got it wrong?
    Originally posted by littly_kitty
    From their Online Saving Terms & Conditions, page 5 -

12) You may not open more than one Account in your sole name and one Account jointly in your name and that of someone else.

https://www.postoffice.co.uk/dam/jcr:148d19fd-ca62-4604-9560-3548d9f74ca9/online-saver-key-information-pack.pdf
    • castle96
    • By castle96 13th May 18, 11:40 AM
    • 1,684 Posts
    • 287 Thanks
    castle96
    regardless of what the T&Cs say, many people seem to have opened multiple a/cs
    • pafpcg
    • By pafpcg 13th May 18, 12:58 PM
    • 256 Posts
    • 241 Thanks
    pafpcg
    Cancelled DDs by Post Office
    Was looking at my mother's PO savings account last night - two of her DDs seem to have been cancelled by the PO. I know this because any cancelled by me were "user cancelled" but two of the ones I'd set up to come out her Co-op account said "mandate cancelled". Does anyone know why they would unilaterally decide to cancel a DD without being asked. They definitely weren't cancelled by us as they were set up explicitly to meet the four DDs condition for Everyday Rewards.
    Originally posted by Roseanne1
    Are you saying that you had set-up four DDs on a single Coop account? The trick with the Coop account is NOT to use four separate DDs per month, but to set-up a single regular DD on the Coop account which takes a payment WEEKLY (ie at least four DD payments per month) which appears to satisfy the Coop's terms and conditions for the Everyday Rewards.
    • pafpcg
    • By pafpcg 13th May 18, 1:14 PM
    • 256 Posts
    • 241 Thanks
    pafpcg
    Operating outside the T&Cs
    regardless of what the T&Cs say, many people seem to have opened multiple a/cs
    Originally posted by castle96
    Sadly, that may be true, but when the Post Office (Bank of Ireland) realise the extent of the abuse and close accounts, get ready for the torrent of outrage on this forum!

What worries me is that the Post Office may do as Tesco did and remove the DD facility entirely rather than just close multiple accounts.
    • fabsaver
    • By fabsaver 13th May 18, 4:31 PM
    • 885 Posts
    • 1,781 Thanks
    fabsaver
    From their Online Saving Terms & Conditions, page 5 -

12) You may not open more than one Account in your sole name and one Account jointly in your name and that of someone else.

https://www.postoffice.co.uk/dam/jcr:148d19fd-ca62-4604-9560-3548d9f74ca9/online-saver-key-information-pack.pdf
    Originally posted by soulsaver
    I thought it was one of each separate issue allowed, a bit like the Virgin Money regular savers.

They only have one issue number available for opening at any one time. Therefore the terms and conditions linked would relate to that specific issue only.

That's how I'm interpreting it anyway, until PO tell me otherwise
    • Mee
    • By Mee 15th May 18, 1:41 PM
    • 1,110 Posts
    • 1,044 Thanks
    Mee
    Ditto
    Same here:
    My PO accounts have different issue numbers and interest rates.
    He who accepts evil without protesting against it is really cooperating with it. [MLK]
    • castle96
    • By castle96 15th May 18, 2:22 PM
    • 1,684 Posts
    • 287 Thanks
    castle96
    mmm mine are 2 x Iss 27 and 4 x Iss 29
    • Roseanne1
    • By Roseanne1 15th May 18, 11:29 PM
    • 133 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    Roseanne1
    Was looking at my mother's PO savings account last night - two of her DDs seem to have been cancelled by the PO. I know this because any cancelled by me were "user cancelled" but two of the ones I'd set up to come out her Co-op account said "mandate cancelled". Does anyone know why they would unilaterally decide to cancel a DD without being asked. They definitely weren't cancelled by us as they were set up explicitly to meet the four DDs condition for Everyday Rewards.

I've been back in my mother's PO account again and another two DDs have been cancelled. I phoned up both the PO and Co-op about this before when two other DDs were cancelled and neither of them could explain what had happened. Does anyone have any experience of this happening and have you had a straight answer from either the bank or the PO. Her everyday rewards depend on these going through.

Thanks for the help.
    • Roseanne1
    • By Roseanne1 15th May 18, 11:31 PM
    • 133 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    Roseanne1
    Are you saying that you had set-up four DDs on a single Coop account? The trick with the Coop account is NOT to use four separate DDs per month, but to set-up a single regular DD on the Coop account which takes a payment WEEKLY (ie at least four DD payments per month) which appears to satisfy the Coop's terms and conditions for the Everyday Rewards.
    Originally posted by pafpcg

Ah thank you. That is what I did. It seemed to work when I did it with my own though so still a bit none the wiser why they would cancel them because of this.
    • AirlieBird
    • By AirlieBird 16th May 18, 5:07 AM
    • 1,039 Posts
    • 849 Thanks
    AirlieBird
    I've been back in my mother's PO account again and another two DDs have been cancelled. I phoned up both the PO and Co-op about this before when two other DDs were cancelled and neither of them could explain what had happened. Does anyone have any experience of this happening and have you had a straight answer from either the bank or the PO. Her everyday rewards depend on these going through.

Thanks for the help.
    Are you sure they were set up to operate indefinitely and not to only run for a specified time period?
    Did you really mean to put loose?
    Lose: no longer possess, not to retain, unable to find
    Loose: not firmly or tightly fixed in place
    • Roseanne1
    • By Roseanne1 16th May 18, 1:30 PM
    • 133 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    Roseanne1
    Are you sure they were set up to operate indefinitely and not to only run for a specified time period?
    Originally posted by AirlieBird
    Yep, the first payments were due out 14th, 15th, 16th and 17th May and I set it to monthly rather than one off. I've got some others set up to replace the cancelled ones so will be keeping a close eye. As I say, I set mine up similarly and they have worked fine. The PO has said that they can't cancel the DDs only myself or the bank can and I am sure I definitely didn't.
    • clivep
    • By clivep 17th May 18, 8:44 AM
    • 331 Posts
    • 164 Thanks
    clivep
    Yep, the first payments were due out 14th, 15th, 16th and 17th May and I set it to monthly rather than one off. I've got some others set up to replace the cancelled ones so will be keeping a close eye. As I say, I set mine up similarly and they have worked fine. The PO has said that they can't cancel the DDs only myself or the bank can and I am sure I definitely didn't.
    They certainly can be cancelled by them. My wife missed out on a 5 TSB reward one month and on investigation it turned out that the DD for this on one of her PO a/cs had been cancelled for no known reason.

In trying to correct this they managed to cancel the DDs on ALL her PO a/cs (they were still showing as active in her PO a/cs but had been cancelled with the respective banks!!!).

Best advice is not to seek their help but just set the DDs up again yourself. Make the dates early in the month and monitor that they are working and still active. If need be then you still have time to set up a new mandate to draw payment before the end of the month.
    • KTF
    • By KTF 18th May 18, 10:24 AM
    • 4,677 Posts
    • 1,912 Thanks
    KTF
    I had 6x PO accounts and 2x Santander esaver accounts with 3x DD each as my backup plan but it seems that Santander have removed all DD from the esaver accounts now which is a bit of an issue
    • Steve_xx
    • By Steve_xx 18th May 18, 10:53 AM
    • 6,554 Posts
    • 2,741 Thanks
    Steve_xx
    I had 6x PO accounts and 2x Santander esaver accounts with 3x DD each as my backup plan but it seems that Santander have removed all DD from the esaver accounts now which is a bit of an issue
    Originally posted by KTF
    I have two Santander e-Savers and note the they have pulled DD's to them on 8th and 16th May!
    • KTF
    • By KTF 18th May 18, 10:56 AM
    • 4,677 Posts
    • 1,912 Thanks
    KTF
    I hadn't used them for a while so maybe they were removed automatically. I can schedule the pull on the Santander website but the DD is no longer showing on the Halifax/BoS account.

Time to send in the forms again (although too late for this month now).
    • DennisTenus
    • By DennisTenus 18th May 18, 11:59 AM
    • 222 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    DennisTenus
    I have two Santander e-Savers and note the they have pulled DD's to them on 8th and 16th May!
    Originally posted by Steve_xx
    Do they still offer money being pulled to them by DD?

Website says "Deposits can be made at any time via standing order, one-off payments or online transfers."
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

185Posts Today

1,276Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin