Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • chockydavid1983
    • By chockydavid1983 27th Oct 17, 11:29 AM
    • 598Posts
    • 361Thanks
    chockydavid1983
    Savings accounts accepting DD's
    • 27th Oct 17, 11:29 AM
    Savings accounts accepting DD's 27th Oct 17 at 11:29 AM
    Current list accepting new customers:
    Tesco (only until 04/18 for anyone)
    Scottish Widows Internet Saver Account (10 minimum DD and 10 minimum balance). Note: Seems to be unavailable atm (not sure if temporary or permanent)
    Post Office Online Saver (can only DD in from one nominated account, sketchy customer service feedback)
    Chip and Plum (app based)
    Birmingham Midshires Internet Saver Account (can only DD in from one nominated account, open with payment by cheque only, can change the linked account after)
    SAGA Telephone Easy Access Account (age 50+)
    https://www.wealthsimple.com/en-gb/ (unverified- see post #132)

Other DD ideas:
    Paypal (reported as in the process of being removed)
    Credit cards
    Charities
    Credit Unions
    Christmas Savings (not FSCS protected)
    http://www.littledebits.org

If you notice any of this information becomes incorrect or new accounts appear, PM me and I'll update this post :-).
    Last edited by chockydavid1983; 17-04-2018 at 10:20 AM.
Page 29
    • pauljoecoe
    • By pauljoecoe 8th May 18, 7:29 AM
    • 219 Posts
    • 39 Thanks
    pauljoecoe
    Check the M&S account to see if PayPal is showing as a direct debit. Once they are linked, when you spend with PayPal, PayPal pulls the cash from your account by direct debit, linking them is basically setting up the direct debit.
    Originally posted by Lungboy
    Thanks for that. Will take a look later - so am I understanding correctly in that you don't set up a regular dd but need to buy something on paypal and then it pulls the money from the bank account?
    • Anon
    • By Anon 8th May 18, 7:55 AM
    • 13,209 Posts
    • 148,105 Thanks
    Anon
    Their website logs you out when you apply for another account though.
    Originally posted by ffacoffipawb
    If you login, then click on the link on the top menu and Apply, it says it is logging you out - yet it asks for fewer details on that page than if you apply straight from the home page (it doesn't ask for address etc) so it seems to be still logged in somewhere in the system or at least recognises you as an existing customer.
    • latinaid
    • By latinaid 8th May 18, 8:12 AM
    • 88 Posts
    • 173 Thanks
    latinaid
    If you login, then click on the link on the top menu and Apply, it says it is logging you out - yet it asks for fewer details on that page than if you apply straight from the home page (it doesn't ask for address etc) so it seems to be still logged in somewhere in the system or at least recognises you as an existing customer.
    Originally posted by Anon
    I have two PO accounts, with a separate online login for each. If you make sure you are logged out of your online account, you should be able to apply for a new account from the PO home page. You'll get a new online user id though, which is a pain. At least, this is how it worked back in October - I don't know if they have got smarter at cross-referencing now to see if you already have an account.
    • Anon
    • By Anon 8th May 18, 9:25 AM
    • 13,209 Posts
    • 148,105 Thanks
    Anon
    I have two PO accounts, with a separate online login for each. If you make sure you are logged out of your online account, you should be able to apply for a new account from the PO home page. You'll get a new online user id though, which is a pain. At least, this is how it worked back in October - I don't know if they have got smarter at cross-referencing now to see if you already have an account.
    Originally posted by latinaid
    Yes if you go from the homepage you create a new user. If you follow the links from your existing account and logout it adds a new account to your existing login, or did when I applied yesterday .
    • DennisTenus
    • By DennisTenus 8th May 18, 10:50 AM
    • 235 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    DennisTenus
    I have 2 PO accounts but under the same user ID, not really sure how I did it!
    • hgt
    • By hgt 8th May 18, 2:17 PM
    • 216 Posts
    • 148 Thanks
    hgt
    I have 2 PO accounts but under the same user ID, not really sure how I did it!
    Originally posted by DennisTenus
    I think it let's you have multiple accounts under the same user ID if the accounts are different issues. I've got 3 PO accounts under the same user ID, but they were opened over a period of months so are all a different issue number.
    • DennisTenus
    • By DennisTenus 8th May 18, 3:58 PM
    • 235 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    DennisTenus
    I think it let's you have multiple accounts under the same user ID if the accounts are different issues. I've got 3 PO accounts under the same user ID, but they were opened over a period of months so are all a different issue number.
    Originally posted by hgt
    Ah yes that makes sense.

I just tried to open another one not logged in, separately and it said there was "technical difficulties" hmmm not sure I believe that!
    • ffacoffipawb
    • By ffacoffipawb 8th May 18, 7:12 PM
    • 2,496 Posts
    • 1,656 Thanks
    ffacoffipawb
    Ah yes that makes sense.

I just tried to open another one not logged in, separately and it said there was "technical difficulties" hmmm not sure I believe that!
    I got that this morning. I tried again tonight and now have 3 accounts, one for each of my Halifax / BOS Reward accounts. All version 29 I think.

Let's see how long the DDs take to credit these from HBOS.

I wasn't logged in (different PC in fact) but it seems to have remembered my user ID from their system.
    • DennisTenus
    • By DennisTenus 9th May 18, 12:09 PM
    • 235 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    DennisTenus
    I got that this morning. I tried again tonight and now have 3 accounts, one for each of my Halifax / BOS Reward accounts. All version 29 I think.

Let's see how long the DDs take to credit these from HBOS.

I wasn't logged in (different PC in fact) but it seems to have remembered my user ID from their system.
    Originally posted by ffacoffipawb
    Something odd going on with mine... I just tried applying again logged in and not and still get technical difficulties message

Also tried to transfer some money back to my linked account and it just say's it can't be completed at this time

Hmmmmmmmm
    • Lungboy
    • By Lungboy 9th May 18, 1:55 PM
    • 1,465 Posts
    • 1,452 Thanks
    Lungboy
    Thanks for that. Will take a look later - so am I understanding correctly in that you don't set up a regular dd but need to buy something on paypal and then it pulls the money from the bank account?
    Originally posted by pauljoecoe
    Yes, that's what it's doing for me. I haven't checked yet to ensure that that is sufficient for Lloyds. It shows in my account as a DD but not labelled as monthly, so hopefully it's ok.
    • surreysaver
    • By surreysaver 10th May 18, 8:21 PM
    • 2,561 Posts
    • 1,481 Thanks
    surreysaver
    Just perusing the Post Office website, and there is an Issue 30 Online Saver available. Don't know how long that's been there for!
    I consider myself to be a male feminist. Is that allowed?
    • KTF
    • By KTF 11th May 18, 5:30 PM
    • 4,678 Posts
    • 1,913 Thanks
    KTF
    Originally posted by hgt
    I opened 5 of the current issue today with no problems. All are now showing under my single login.
    • DennisTenus
    • By DennisTenus 11th May 18, 6:03 PM
    • 235 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    DennisTenus
    I opened 5 of the current issue today with no problems. All are now showing under my single login.
    Originally posted by KTF
    Wow, I tried again and still can't - I even tried with a different linked account that I haven't used before...... just get same "technical difficulties" message almost immediately when I submit the form!

Saying that, must be something wrong with my account because I can't withdraw money either... arrrggh! haven't been able to for days
    • surreysaver
    • By surreysaver 11th May 18, 6:04 PM
    • 2,561 Posts
    • 1,481 Thanks
    surreysaver
    I accidentally opened two Issue 30s last night, both linked to the same current account. I thought one application didn't go through, so did another one, but both went through! I now have 1 Issue 24, 1 Issue 25, 3 Issue 26s, 1 Issue 27, 1 28, 1 29 and 2 30s.
    I consider myself to be a male feminist. Is that allowed?
    • DennisTenus
    • By DennisTenus 11th May 18, 6:06 PM
    • 235 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    DennisTenus
    I accidentally opened two Issue 30s last night, both linked to the same current account. I thought one application didn't go through, so did another one, but both went through! I now have 1 Issue 24, 1 Issue 25, 3 Issue 26s, 1 Issue 27, 1 28, 1 29 and 2 30s.
    Originally posted by surreysaver
    How is this working for all of you but not me!?!?
    • AirlieBird
    • By AirlieBird 11th May 18, 6:34 PM
    • 1,039 Posts
    • 849 Thanks
    AirlieBird
    Have you tried different browsers or devices? The technical difficulties message is a catch all error message.

On your withdrawal issue, have you made a withdrawal before? The message you get sounds like the common issue many people have on making their first withdrawal and the only solution is to ring them during office hours so the technical team can resolve it.
    Did you really mean to put loose?
    Lose: no longer possess, not to retain, unable to find
    Loose: not firmly or tightly fixed in place
    • latinaid
    • By latinaid 11th May 18, 7:42 PM
    • 88 Posts
    • 173 Thanks
    latinaid
    Might be obvious, but have you tried doing it on someone else's computer? Or even a different browser?
    • DennisTenus
    • By DennisTenus 11th May 18, 9:38 PM
    • 235 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    DennisTenus
    Yes tried different computers and my tablet and different browsers.

It must be related to my withdraw problem. I have withdrawn money before which worked fine.

I guess I will have to call them to sort it out.
    • KingL
    • By KingL 12th May 18, 9:43 AM
    • 1,653 Posts
    • 751 Thanks
    KingL
    You have to set the date of the direct debit to 14 working days ahead otherwise you keep getting the pop up advising you that a standing order is better and no direct debit is then set up on the account.
    Originally posted by typistretired
    Hi yes, I did that when setting up the original (overarching) linked account, but when it came to setting up a regular DD to draw from it, I couldn't even get as far as seeing that option.

I spent the next week tearing my hair out trying to setup a regular DD into the Post Office Bank. I think I've got it figured out now. These were the problems. It might help someone who is having similar problems (as the staff on the support desk certainly can't).

1) First-up, you have to set up a linked account/DD relationshop and then wait the standard ten working days for the link to your linked-account to be set up

<scroll 2 weeks later>

2) When you click "move" (to setup your regular DD) and select the "from linked account" tab you will be presented with a screen saying:
    • one-time / regular
    • amount
    • Next

the "one-time / regular " fields are radio buttons. 'One-time' is greyed-out. "Regular" is bright red and looks like it is already ticked (by default). However, despite appearances, it actually _isn't_ ticked and you have to actively tick if you want to get any further (if you don't tick it, the 'next' button will do nothing when you click it (well, it will change colour when you mousever it, but otherwise it will do nothing).

After you click the radio button for 'regular' you will get some more buttons like frequency and start/end dates for payments.

3) Even though you have waited for ten working days for the linked account to be linked, you have to set the date for your regular DD to be at least another 4 working days away. If you set a date sooner than that, when you click 'next' it will bounce you to the main menu and you won't know whether or not you were successful (you weren't). If you set the date far enough out, you will get a green tick mark to indicate that the DD was set up.

You can check active DDs on your account. Look for the circle with three horizontal dots in it. Click on that to see further options. New DDs appear instantly - if it ain't there, then it doesn't exist.

4) On the main page for the account there is a section called 'Linked Account'. If you click on "edit/add", it gives details (sort code etc) about your linked account. On mine, there is a line that says "Your account will be ready for withdrawals in 1 business days". It has been like that for over a week. I thought that this might have something to do with why I couldn't set up regular DD, but it seems not. As long as I have more than the minimum balance (1) in the account I CAN make withdrawals, despite the online banking app saying the opposite. Don't be misled by that red-herring.

The staff on the help desk don't have much insight on what is going on in your account (indeed, in many cases, they can see even less about your account than you can). They are nice people, but haven't been given the systems to disgnose problems and are left with 4 standard responses "oh, it shouldn't do that"; "I'll tell our IT people about that"; "set-up a push standing order from the other account instead" and "have you tried another browser?"

Anyway, having discovered the problems/workarounds in 2 and 3, above, it seems to be working now.

If you are having similar problems, Good luck.

usecase details: (PO Account Issue 29. Chrome browser (same in opera, firefox, edge). Apparently Chrome IE and Firefox are the only officially supported browsers).
    Last edited by KingL; 12-05-2018 at 9:45 AM.

• Roseanne1
    • By Roseanne1 12th May 18, 1:02 PM
    • 133 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    Roseanne1
    Was looking at my mother's PO savings account last night - two of her DDs seem to have been cancelled by the PO. I know this because any cancelled by me were "user cancelled" but two of the ones I'd set up to come out her Co-op account said "mandate cancelled". Does anyone know why they would unilaterally decide to cancel a DD without being asked. They definitely weren't cancelled by us as they were set up explicitly to meet the four DDs condition for Everyday Rewards.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

879Posts Today

7,888Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Dora_Haf: @MartinSLewis So many people on here saying they're great until you get your PROPER job. What if Your proper job Is ON zero?

• RT @hslt88: @MartinSLewis I?m a trustee for a youth charity. We only have a limited pool of funds for flexible youth workers for holiday sc?

• RT @Dan_i_elle_88: @MartinSLewis Loved working zero hour agency care work. Never out of work and I loved having the flexibility! Only left?

• Follow Martin