Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • chockydavid1983
    • By chockydavid1983 27th Oct 17, 11:29 AM
    • 581Posts
    • 352Thanks
    chockydavid1983
    Savings accounts accepting DD's
    • 27th Oct 17, 11:29 AM
    Savings accounts accepting DD's 27th Oct 17 at 11:29 AM
    Current list accepting new customers:
    Tesco (only until 04/18 for anyone)
    Scottish Widows Internet Saver Account (10 minimum DD and 10 minimum balance). Note: Seems to be unavailable atm (not sure if temporary or permanent)
    Post Office Online Saver (can only DD in from one nominated account, sketchy customer service feedback)
    Chip and Plum (app based)
    Birmingham Midshires Internet Saver Account (can only DD in from one nominated account, open with payment by cheque only, can change the linked account after)
    SAGA Telephone Easy Access Account (age 50+)
    https://www.wealthsimple.com/en-gb/ (unverified- see post #132)

Other DD ideas:
    Paypal (reported as in the process of being removed)
    Credit cards
    Charities
    Credit Unions
    Christmas Savings (not FSCS protected)
    http://www.littledebits.org

If you notice any of this information becomes incorrect or new accounts appear, PM me and I'll update this post :-).
    Last edited by chockydavid1983; 17-04-2018 at 10:20 AM.
Page 27
    • ColdIron
    • By ColdIron 15th Apr 18, 3:11 PM
    • 4,159 Posts
    • 5,245 Thanks
    ColdIron
    Most banks with a high street presence assign a notional branch to you, if you have a cheque book use the one named on that. When Opening my BoS accounts I visited a few on Google street view and chose one in a real dump because I felt sorry for them but with a heartfelt desire never to have to actually visit it. I don't think it really matters and I usually leave the fields blank on ISA transfer forms. I think either your local branch or head office will be fine
    • redhammer
    • By redhammer 20th Apr 18, 8:49 PM
    • 34 Posts
    • 383 Thanks
    redhammer
    Well, as expected, despite having a letter confirming no more DDS, Tesco took money out of an account on 20th of this month.
    • Roseanne1
    • By Roseanne1 20th Apr 18, 9:06 PM
    • 131 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    Roseanne1
    Well, as expected, despite having a letter confirming no more DDS, Tesco took money out of an account on 20th of this month.
    Originally posted by redhammer
    I believe the final day for the DDs is 22nd so I'd expect they would cancel any dated 23rd onwards.
    • Roseanne1
    • By Roseanne1 20th Apr 18, 9:08 PM
    • 131 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    Roseanne1
    Does anyone on here use Plum at all to deposit amounts monthly. When I try to type a message saying I want to deposit 50 monthly, I get a message saying they don't understand.

I don't want them to take money automatically because I want to have some control over what is going out of my account.
    • surreysaver
    • By surreysaver 20th Apr 18, 10:03 PM
    • 2,463 Posts
    • 1,371 Thanks
    surreysaver
    Does anyone on here use Plum at all to deposit amounts monthly. When I try to type a message saying I want to deposit 50 monthly, I get a message saying they don't understand.

I don't want them to take money automatically because I want to have some control over what is going out of my account.
    Originally posted by Roseanne1
    Can you arrange a regular deposit? You might just have to do it ad-hoc
    I consider myself to be a male feminist. Is that allowed?
    • Roseanne1
    • By Roseanne1 20th Apr 18, 10:20 PM
    • 131 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    Roseanne1
    Can you arrange a regular deposit? You might just have to do it ad-hoc
    Originally posted by surreysaver
    I thought you could but can't find anything and their web chat thing isn't open now until Monday.
    • Herbalus
    • By Herbalus 20th Apr 18, 10:25 PM
    • 2,086 Posts
    • 1,699 Thanks
    Herbalus
    I believe the final day for the DDs is 22nd so I'd expect they would cancel any dated 23rd onwards.
    Im curious about ones dated 22nd. As that happens to be Sunday. So payments would be pushed back to Monday.
    • youngretired
    • By youngretired 20th Apr 18, 10:37 PM
    • 197 Posts
    • 111 Thanks
    youngretired
    If Plum is like Chip then there is no automatic regular monthly saving that you can request, you need to do it manually when you want it to be done. I do 4 manual request straight after 1 another (though Chip you need to leave 24hrs between each 1) to fulfil my Co-op account.
    • Roseanne1
    • By Roseanne1 20th Apr 18, 10:38 PM
    • 131 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    Roseanne1
    Im curious about ones dated 22nd. As that happens to be Sunday. So payments would be pushed back to Monday.
    Originally posted by Herbalus
    Yeah, that crossed my mind too.
    • surreysaver
    • By surreysaver 20th Apr 18, 10:45 PM
    • 2,463 Posts
    • 1,371 Thanks
    surreysaver
    If Plum is like Chip then there is no automatic regular monthly saving that you can request, you need to do it manually when you want it to be done. I do 4 manual request straight after 1 another (though Chip you need to leave 24hrs between each 1) to fulfil my Co-op account.
    Originally posted by youngretired
    Me too. I normally find the automatic ones are sufficient, but keep an eye on it during months with Bank Holidays in them
    I consider myself to be a male feminist. Is that allowed?
    • Herbalus
    • By Herbalus 21st Apr 18, 7:19 AM
    • 2,086 Posts
    • 1,699 Thanks
    Herbalus
    Yeah, that crossed my mind too.
    I think the sloppiness of my post caused you to think I'd just repeated what you said.

I have some DDs dated 22nd, which I would expect to go through. The actual day of debiting though will be 23rd, as 22nd is a Sunday. The query is whether the DDs from 22nd will go through and be dated 22nd.

The reasoning is banks are aware of the 'pull' on at least the working day prior to the day of debit. So if Tesco have not cancelled DDs planned on 22nd, these should already have been communicated to the banks that will send the money. NatWest used to reduce customer's available balance prior to the weekend if any DDs landed on the weekend. Where other banks do not, the order should be in the system for Sunday, which will then default to Monday and be paid as Tesco will not have time to cancel.

Same principle with today. Tesco have not said they have cancelled DDs on 21st, so banks should have instruction to pay them on next working day, which is 23rd.
    • EarthBoy
    • By EarthBoy 21st Apr 18, 12:31 PM
    • 1,855 Posts
    • 1,154 Thanks
    EarthBoy
    Doesn't the direct debit process start two or three working days before the actual payment date? In which case, DD payments due on the 23 April will have been initiated last Wednesday or Thursday, so the payments might still go through.

When Tesco say they will cancel DDs on 23 April, are they referring to the payment due date, or the date they start to initiate the payments?
    • soulsaver
    • By soulsaver 21st Apr 18, 11:48 PM
    • 1,678 Posts
    • 667 Thanks
    soulsaver

When Tesco say they will cancel DDs on 23 April..
    Originally posted by EarthBoy
    To be accurate, Tesco didn't say 23rd, they said they'll be automatically cancelled on the 22nd.
    • redhammer
    • By redhammer 22nd Apr 18, 3:03 AM
    • 34 Posts
    • 383 Thanks
    redhammer
    Had a DD last month which was due to go out at end of month, but due to holidays etc didn't go till April, but still got March interest, so must work back
    • koenig
    • By koenig 26th Apr 18, 1:14 PM
    • 102 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    koenig
    Has anyone had any PO online saver accounts closed or DD's cancelled?
    • soulsaver
    • By soulsaver 26th Apr 18, 2:13 PM
    • 1,678 Posts
    • 667 Thanks
    soulsaver
    Has anyone had any PO online saver accounts closed or DD's cancelled?
    Originally posted by koenig
    All mine seem to be working OK... (touching wood)
    • Katiehound
    • By Katiehound 26th Apr 18, 10:33 PM
    • 4,403 Posts
    • 38,794 Thanks
    Katiehound

M&S just says you need two active DDs to get the monthly saver so I assume two pulling money into the same savings account in one calendar month would do?

M&S just needs 2 x active DDs- which could be annual ones- they don't need to be monthly.The DDs need to be coming out of your current a/c not pulling money in- unless I am misreading something here!
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything!
    If you found my posting helpful please hit the "Thanks" button!
    Many thanks

2018 Wombling : Entrant 8 ..2280 cc+.2205mm (2.20.5) + RK 5.21= 30.25.5
    • Mitzberg
    • By Mitzberg 27th Apr 18, 9:36 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Mitzberg
    Thanks. Yeah, by reading the T&Cs I figured it didn't need to be from different mandates, but I wouldn't be surprised either if they were just being vague and 3 paypal DDs wouldn't work in the end... I'm still waiting on mt Tesco account to be open and then I'll try and see what works. I shall be able to come back here and confirm my findings in a month's time.
    Originally posted by Mitzberg
    In case there was any doubt, I can now confirm that 3 Paypal DD's work perfectly well with Tesco Bank.
    So now I am running 2 Tesco Bank Current Accounts and feeding 6 DD's out of one single Paypal account.
    Sweet times.
    • Roseanne1
    • By Roseanne1 27th Apr 18, 7:25 PM
    • 131 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    Roseanne1
    Well my Scottish Widows accounts are open and I see my nominated account but only see the option to view it rather than change it. Can this be done online or do I need to send them a paper form?
    • Badger50
    • By Badger50 27th Apr 18, 9:36 PM
    • 99 Posts
    • 98 Thanks
    Badger50
    You need to send a paper form, a new dd mandate and a recent bank statement from the new linked account. It's easy enough to find the forms on their website but if you ask them via online messaging to send the forms they will post them with a reply paid envelope.
    Last edited by Badger50; 27-04-2018 at 9:37 PM. Reason: spelling correction
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,722Posts Today

5,960Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin