Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • chockydavid1983
    • By chockydavid1983 27th Oct 17, 11:29 AM
    • 584Posts
    • 355Thanks
    chockydavid1983
    Savings accounts accepting DD's
    • 27th Oct 17, 11:29 AM
    Savings accounts accepting DD's 27th Oct 17 at 11:29 AM
    Current list accepting new customers:
    Tesco (only until 04/18 for anyone)
    Scottish Widows Internet Saver Account (10 minimum DD and 10 minimum balance). Note: Seems to be unavailable atm (not sure if temporary or permanent)
    Post Office Online Saver (can only DD in from one nominated account, sketchy customer service feedback)
    Chip and Plum (app based)
    Birmingham Midshires Internet Saver Account (can only DD in from one nominated account, open with payment by cheque only, can change the linked account after)
    SAGA Telephone Easy Access Account (age 50+)
    https://www.wealthsimple.com/en-gb/ (unverified- see post #132)

Other DD ideas:
    Paypal (reported as in the process of being removed)
    Credit cards
    Charities
    Credit Unions
    Christmas Savings (not FSCS protected)
    http://www.littledebits.org

If you notice any of this information becomes incorrect or new accounts appear, PM me and I'll update this post :-).
    Last edited by chockydavid1983; 17-04-2018 at 10:20 AM.
Page 14
    • sparky0138
    • By sparky0138 6th Jan 18, 9:13 AM
    • 235 Posts
    • 324 Thanks
    sparky0138
    Well SW would confirm that in a telephone call, wouldn't they?
    And you/she could ask them how they could do that without notice?

And I suspect they'll refer to a notification that hasn't been received; or received, not acted upon. Or maybe an email that's gone to junk?
    Originally posted by soulsaver
    You may be right about a missed e-mail. That's why I asked how people had found out/been notified.

She messaged YB and they've said that as she has 4 DD's they class as active, she's still in line for her bonus in that respect so at least that's something.

Probably less hassle to just set up another nominated account for SW (after she's received her YB bonus), perhaps to replace a Tesco DD on another account, rather than phone them to ask whether they gave notice. Especially as it doesn't seem to have affected her bonus after all.
    • DiegoJC
    • By DiegoJC 6th Jan 18, 2:35 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    DiegoJC
    It still works!!

I have just instructed to pull money from the five accounts I have registered on my account.

You are unable to use the website to pull via DD but you can using the app.

Westie983
    Originally posted by Westie983
    Could you please confirm that the app sill works?
    I was able to use it till December but not from the new year; if it does, I don't know whether I shall update it since a couple of months ago, to prevent any eventual update removing the functionality, I decided to stop its automatic update on google play :|
    • polymaff
    • By polymaff 6th Jan 18, 5:12 PM
    • 2,117 Posts
    • 917 Thanks
    polymaff
    Oh well, OK - but as it still relies on you taking my word for it. it all comes down to whatever my reputation is on MSE.

About a year ago I had a call from Tesco Bank on an entirely different matter. As a) the lady from Tesco seemed to be pretty well-informed and b) Tesco were paying for the call, I asked about the rumours that Tesco were culling bank accounts. She told me that this was an ongoing thing since 2015. What was the basis? Making many trivial external transactions - especially DD pulls, she replied.
    Last edited by polymaff; 06-01-2018 at 7:51 PM.
    • polymaff
    • By polymaff 6th Jan 18, 5:44 PM
    • 2,117 Posts
    • 917 Thanks
    polymaff
    I could just as easily airily claim that they had too many account opening applications from 37-year-old green lobsters in Chalfont St Giles, safe in the knowledge that nobody could disprove that, but that wouldn't really constitute a particularly constructive line of debate!
    Originally posted by eskbanker
    That conversation must have been at least 49 weeks ago, as it was before I spent some of Jan and more of Feb in hospital.

You'll know the one - just the other side of the M25 from green lobster land.
    • bristolleedsfan
    • By bristolleedsfan 6th Jan 18, 7:37 PM
    • 7,524 Posts
    • 9,640 Thanks
    bristolleedsfan
    Oh well, OK - but as it still relies on you taking my word for it. it all comes down to whatever my reputation is on MSE.

About a year ago I had a call from Tesco Bank on an entirely different matter. As a) the lady from Tesco seemed to be pretty well-informed and b) Tesco were paying for the call, I asked about the rumours that Tesco were culling bank accounts. She told me that this was an ongoing thing since 2015. What was the basis? Making many trivial external transactions - especially DD pulls, she replied.
    Originally posted by polymaff
    DD pulls - Tesco Bank Account ---- We are all doing it via Internet Saver---
    • polymaff
    • By polymaff 6th Jan 18, 7:47 PM
    • 2,117 Posts
    • 917 Thanks
    polymaff
    DD pulls - Tesco Bank Account ---- We are all doing it via Internet Saver---
    Originally posted by bristolleedsfan
    Quite right, my mistake, we ARE talking Internet Savers.
    • talexuser
    • By talexuser 6th Jan 18, 8:08 PM
    • 2,403 Posts
    • 1,903 Thanks
    talexuser
    Well Tesco decided their terms and conditions, maybe we all should have pulled 100 a month from each account and immediately replaced it (instead of 1), but they could just as well have come to the same conclusion that it was not worthwhile for them now.

It was good for a while and nothing lasts forever, I'll just end up closing my 3 BoS accounts and paying the 3 on the Lloyds POA for my Mum... I don't have enough DDs left. The Halifax, Nationwide, TSBs and Santanders can still run.
    • YorkshireBoy
    • By YorkshireBoy 6th Jan 18, 8:42 PM
    • 30,157 Posts
    • 18,015 Thanks
    YorkshireBoy
    I'll just end up...paying the 3 on the Lloyds POA for my Mum... I don't have enough DDs left.
    Originally posted by talexuser
    The 3 fee isn't dependant on DDs, just on a 1,500 monthly credit. But if you don't want the hassle (and/or aren't bothered about the lifestyle benefit) just downgrade it to Classic?
    • Katiehound
    • By Katiehound 6th Jan 18, 8:49 PM
    • 4,444 Posts
    • 38,868 Thanks
    Katiehound

It was good for a while and nothing lasts forever, I'll just end up closing my 3 BoS accounts and paying the 3 on the Lloyds POA for my Mum... I don't have enough DDs left. The Halifax, Nationwide, TSBs and Santanders can still run.
    Have you searched high and low for replacements?
    For example do you still need DDs for Nationwide? I discovered that I needed them for the switch but not afterwards (so that was 2 less!)
    In the end I needed 5 new ones if I remember correctly.
    There were some interesting suggestions on different threads which were helpful.
    I'd have thought the BoS were better to keep than the Halifax.....
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything!
    If you found my posting helpful please hit the "Thanks" button!
    Many thanks

2018 Wombling : Entrant 8 ..2319 cc+.2205mm (2.20.5) + RK 5.21= 30.64.5
    • talexuser
    • By talexuser 6th Jan 18, 8:53 PM
    • 2,403 Posts
    • 1,903 Thanks
    talexuser
    The 3 fee isn't dependant on DDs, just on a 1,500 monthly credit. But if you don't want the hassle (and/or aren't bothered about the lifestyle benefit) just downgrade it to Classic?
    Originally posted by YorkshireBoy
    Thanks, I was getting mixed up with my Halifax where I forgot to buy something with one of my cashback credit cards one month and didn't get the 5 because only one DD went out.

The POA LLoyds monthly credit is not a problems with her pension, private pensions and ISA dividends. If situations change I will go down to the classic.... if free banking is still available then
    Last edited by talexuser; 06-01-2018 at 9:08 PM.
    • talexuser
    • By talexuser 6th Jan 18, 9:08 PM
    • 2,403 Posts
    • 1,903 Thanks
    talexuser
    Have you searched high and low for replacements?
    For example do you still need DDs for Nationwide?
    Originally posted by Katiehound
    I've never needed DDs for my Nationwide (started 2013), just switched moneys to the Santanders and back for external funding, and used both the regular savers continuously.

I've read the entire thread as it went along and frankly can't see anything easy which doesn't chip away at the interest too much, making an easy access 1.3% look not too bad compared with the hassle involved with BoS 2%. Still looking though and open to suggestions, was going to use gocardless but they have increased their fees too.
    • Speculator
    • By Speculator 7th Jan 18, 12:24 AM
    • 1,776 Posts
    • 1,382 Thanks
    Speculator
    Thinking about moving my Broadband DD from 123 to BOS since it's only earning about 69p per month in cashback at 123.

Another DD idea is the "Schoolgateway" for paying your childrens school dinner money.
    • DIYhelp76
    • By DIYhelp76 7th Jan 18, 10:51 AM
    • 55 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    DIYhelp76
    Many thanks for all the useful contributions to this thread.

It's a real headache (understatement!) trying to find so many replacement DDs for me and family member accounts.

Am I right that most of the options listed here only allow 1 nominated account and thus 1 DD? e.g. Post Office, Scottish Widows, B Midshires etc?

If so, the only option is to open multiple accounts - Post Office it seems limits to only 1 per person.

Does anyone have experience of successfully opening multiple accounts with the others, e.g. several Scottish Widoes or several of the B Midshires? Or any other suggestions?

Many thanks.
    • clivep
    • By clivep 7th Jan 18, 11:18 AM
    • 328 Posts
    • 164 Thanks
    clivep
    Many thanks for all the useful contributions to this thread.

It's a real headache (understatement!) trying to find so many replacement DDs for me and family member accounts.

Am I right that most of the options listed here only allow 1 nominated account and thus 1 DD? e.g. Post Office, Scottish Widows, B Midshires etc?

If so, the only option is to open multiple accounts - Post Office it seems limits to only 1 per person.

Does anyone have experience of successfully opening multiple accounts with the others, e.g. several Scottish Widoes or several of the B Midshires? Or any other suggestions?

Many thanks.
    Originally posted by DIYhelp76
    2 x SW but currently unavailable for new applications.

BM I'm not sure if there's a limit but I have 2.

PO 1 and 1 joint but this seems to be per issue and they change this fairly often. I wasn't aware of the restriction and successfully opened 2 x sole and a joint issue 26 in October which all are working correctly. I've just opened a further sole & joint issue 28.

All only allow 1 nominated account and thus 1 DD per savings a/c.
    • DIYhelp76
    • By DIYhelp76 7th Jan 18, 7:37 PM
    • 55 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    DIYhelp76
    Clivep - just to say thanks so much for taking the time to reply - the information is really useful.

• Katiehound
    • By Katiehound 7th Jan 18, 9:32 PM
    • 4,444 Posts
    • 38,868 Thanks
    Katiehound
    Another place to look is to see if your local Credit Union takes DDs.
    Mine didn't!

there's also Saga telephone saver- poor rate - and even slower then BM!!- but helps towards overall goal of earning on those a/cs

The annoying thing is that I actually left my money in Mr T's savings !
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything!
    If you found my posting helpful please hit the "Thanks" button!
    Many thanks

2018 Wombling : Entrant 8 ..2319 cc+.2205mm (2.20.5) + RK 5.21= 30.64.5
    • Westie983
    • By Westie983 8th Jan 18, 2:16 AM
    • 4,355 Posts
    • 14,911 Thanks
    Westie983
    Could you please confirm that the app sill works?
    I was able to use it till December but not from the new year; if it does, I don't know whether I shall update it since a couple of months ago, to prevent any eventual update removing the functionality, I decided to stop its automatic update on google play :|
    Originally posted by DiegoJC
    Yes still works, I am waiting for DD coming out of three accounts.

Westie983
    Save 12k in 2018 #10 Total (25,000)+10,000/12,000 = 83.33%
    Sealed Pot Challenge ~ 11 #97 Total (410) + 40/500 = 8.00% ( x 11)
    Xmas 2018 1 a Day #2 Total 62.59/365 = 17.14%
    Virtual Sealed Pot #1 Total 900/1,000 = 90.00%
    2 Savers Club 2018 #16 Total (1,500)+-480/2,000 = 51.00%

Total 12,022.59/15,865 = 75.78%

I'm a Board Guide on Budgeting & Bank Accounts, Debt-Free Wannabe, Disability Money Matters, and Savings & Investments. I'm a volunteer helping the boards run smoothly, but I'm not a moderator, and do not read all posts. If you see an inappropriate/illegal post then email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • DiegoJC
    • By DiegoJC 9th Jan 18, 10:25 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    DiegoJC
    Many thanks Westie983.
    Don't know whether my post was clear enough because I was quoting a message replying to a post (that's not been included in my post) stating that through the Paypal app it's still feasible adding money to the paypal account using DDs.

That does not seem to be the case anymore, does it?
    • polymaff
    • By polymaff 10th Jan 18, 7:33 PM
    • 2,117 Posts
    • 917 Thanks
    polymaff
    ...Still looking though and open to suggestions, was going to use gocardless but they have increased their fees too.
    Tried it. They booted me out when they worked out that the payee and the paid were connected.
    • Westie983
    • By Westie983 11th Jan 18, 4:25 PM
    • 4,355 Posts
    • 14,911 Thanks
    Westie983
    Many thanks Westie983.
    Don't know whether my post was clear enough because I was quoting a message replying to a post (that's not been included in my post) stating that through the Paypal app it's still feasible adding money to the paypal account using DDs.

That does not seem to be the case anymore, does it?
    Originally posted by DiegoJC
    Correct, You cant fund your account by DD, but you can pay someone else and pay by DD.

I send money to my sister she sends it back to me straight away then I withdraw it and put it in the accounts the DD are coming out of.

I have done this for four accounts this months, as a trial before I need to use it in April.

Westie983
    Save 12k in 2018 #10 Total (25,000)+10,000/12,000 = 83.33%
    Sealed Pot Challenge ~ 11 #97 Total (410) + 40/500 = 8.00% ( x 11)
    Xmas 2018 1 a Day #2 Total 62.59/365 = 17.14%
    Virtual Sealed Pot #1 Total 900/1,000 = 90.00%
    2 Savers Club 2018 #16 Total (1,500)+-480/2,000 = 51.00%

Total 12,022.59/15,865 = 75.78%

I'm a Board Guide on Budgeting & Bank Accounts, Debt-Free Wannabe, Disability Money Matters, and Savings & Investments. I'm a volunteer helping the boards run smoothly, but I'm not a moderator, and do not read all posts. If you see an inappropriate/illegal post then email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,047Posts Today

8,021Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LaraLewington: ...and mine suggested I'd achieved a lifelong ambition of being sawn in half by a magician - at our wedding. Wasn't. Don?

• We are working on it - I think BA has behaved awfully on this. Those flight were no obviously a glitch. It should? https://t.co/8pvtXtUEqi

• RT @thenicolabryant: Absolutely. We need mental health and financial health as advocated my @MartinSLewis , to be taught in schools. So muc?

• Follow Martin