Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • angela2011
    • By angela2011 26th Oct 17, 5:37 PM
    • 454Posts
    • 132Thanks
    angela2011
    bitcoin trading.
    • 26th Oct 17, 5:37 PM
    bitcoin trading. 26th Oct 17 at 5:37 PM
    Thinking of investing some cash in to trade in bitcoins. Been looking at cryptoallday and was wondering if anyone had used them before.

Any advice would be great...

TIA...
Page 4
    • bowlhead99
    • By bowlhead99 22nd Dec 17, 5:35 PM
    • 7,974 Posts
    • 14,509 Thanks
    bowlhead99
    Coincase seems to get a very bad review here ??
    https://www.trustpilot.com/review/coinbase.com

If you google it, there are a lot of positive reviews reagrding coinbase. But most of them come from cryptocurrency associated webpage, so coinbase might have ome level of influence. Trustpilot is trustworthy independenr review.
    Originally posted by pantaiema
    Trustpilot is not an amazingly trustworthy independent review - as it is quite easily manipulated and only a minority of customers will submit their experiences anyway. Still, if you err on the side of caution and place more faith in the negative reviews you see on the internet than the positive ones, you have a better chance of not being disappointed.
    For MSEr what is your personal experience using coinbase to buy and sell Cryptocurrency ??
    My only experience was going to their website to see whether it was true that they charged 1.5% on transactions as I'd heard people mention on a few sites. On realising that it was true, and therefore six times as expensive as Bitstamp which is a large and highly credible European-based exchange I've used over the last few years, I concluded there was no point opening an account with coinbase for the privilege of paying those huge fees.
    • ivormonee
    • By ivormonee 22nd Dec 17, 6:19 PM
    • 167 Posts
    • 102 Thanks
    ivormonee
    If you're still interested in investing in Bitcoin be aware that it's dropped 19% so far today!
    • 4 Pete's Sake
    • By 4 Pete's Sake 23rd Dec 17, 12:52 AM
    • 268 Posts
    • 187 Thanks
    4 Pete's Sake
    Duplicate Post, see full post below.
    Last edited by 4 Pete's Sake; 23-12-2017 at 1:04 AM.
    IF THIS POST HAS BEEN HELPFUL - PLEASE CLICK ON THANKS
    • 4 Pete's Sake
    • By 4 Pete's Sake 23rd Dec 17, 1:00 AM
    • 268 Posts
    • 187 Thanks
    4 Pete's Sake
    In fact Bitcoin dropped from $19,694 on 17th December to $10,891 at 2.22pm intra-day on 22nd December (a fall of 45%) but recovered to $13,866 at end of play on 22nd December, a drop of almost 30%. I'm sure that this is its biggest ever retreat and spells massive danger. Some may think this is the time to buy. However others may feel that it has now reached its peak and now is the time to take profits whilst there are still profits to be taken. I do feel for those who bought on what was a huge spike.
    Last edited by 4 Pete's Sake; 23-12-2017 at 1:05 AM. Reason: Grammar
    • JohnRo
    • By JohnRo 23rd Dec 17, 12:20 PM
    • 2,608 Posts
    • 2,421 Thanks
    JohnRo
    I'm sure that this is its biggest ever retreat
    Originally posted by 4 Pete's Sake
    Not even close to it.

No one should be putting anything into BTC at this stage which they're not prepared to lose.
    'We don't need to be smarter than the rest; we need to be more disciplined than the rest.' - WB
    • 4 Pete's Sake
    • By 4 Pete's Sake 23rd Dec 17, 3:43 PM
    • 268 Posts
    • 187 Thanks
    4 Pete's Sake
    Not even close to it.

No one should be putting anything into BTC at this stage which they're not prepared to lose.
    Originally posted by JohnRo
    Maybe not its biggest drop in percentage terms (45%) but certained its biggest drop in terms of a bitcoin's value (minus £8,803 per bitcoin).
    • onomatopoeia99
    • By onomatopoeia99 23rd Dec 17, 4:25 PM
    • 4,275 Posts
    • 9,640 Thanks
    onomatopoeia99
    If you're still interested in investing in Bitcoin be aware that it's dropped 19% so far today!
    Originally posted by ivormonee
    Looking at an exchange right now (gdax in this case) shows a 23.3% rise in BTC/GBP in the last 24h.

The lesson is that BTC is very volatile. Which we already knew
    INTP, nerd, libertarian and scifi geek.
    Home is where my books are.
    • planteria
    • By planteria 23rd Dec 17, 6:14 PM
    • 5,000 Posts
    • 1,110 Thanks
    planteria
    i hadn't come across Bitstamp, bowlhead.. thank you.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=73608821#post73608821
    • AlexTheLion
    • By AlexTheLion 23rd Dec 17, 9:30 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    AlexTheLion
    Sounds like Pokemon cards for adults.
    Fresh air investment.
    It wont end well.
    Originally posted by Marktheshark
    Very much agreed that it won't end well for a lot of people. Personally think the issue is that people invest in whatever is on the market that has a % next to it with the hope of gains. The key in my opinion is to invest in the crypto as a technology and not a short term % gain/loss. Some examples:

IOTA - Tangle technology that has a partnership with BOSCH and Volkswagen

Ripple - Connections with large banks in India/Japan etc to improve global payment transaction system

Stellar Lumens - Partnership with IBM

Amongst a fair amount of others including Cardano, Verge, there's tons. And 99.9% of them will be useless in a few years. But to get a small amount of investment in the right one may well pay dividends in the end. Or it will 100% be worthless.
    • adindas
    • By adindas 24th Dec 17, 11:56 AM
    • 3,548 Posts
    • 2,200 Thanks
    adindas
    On realising that it was true, and therefore six times as expensive as Bitstamp which is a large and highly credible European-based exchange I've used over the last few years, I concluded there was no point opening an account with coinbase for the privilege of paying those huge fees.
    Originally posted by bowlhead99
    Those who are buying Bitcoin or Ethereum either from Coinbase or Bitstamp, which type of wallet are you using ??

Saving it in the exchange web wallet /Vault (e.g Coinbase or Bitstamp) is the easiest way to manage it. But what about if they run away with your money and let their company / platform to default ??

Using your own Secure key / wallet seems to be a solution if you wanted to have a full control of it. But How to do it ??

Is there any particular software software to use ? If so does it mean we are depending on the mercy of the software developers. What about the compatibility with operating systems which keep developing. Could it happen that someday we are not able to access it (trade / sell it) when it is not compatible with the new development of OS ??
    Last edited by adindas; 24-12-2017 at 3:07 PM.
    • adindas
    • By adindas 24th Dec 17, 3:35 PM
    • 3,548 Posts
    • 2,200 Thanks
    adindas
    Originally posted by ivormonee
    If you are worried the value of BC drop by 19% or even larger then 30% then unless you have a crystal ball, you should not touch Bitcoin even with a barge pole.

Since the introduction of BC, the history has shown that BC has dropped 30% or more multiple times before it rises again to a new high. It is a very volatile. You should consider BC as a speculative move rather than investment. But some people have become millionaires from this speculative move.
    Last edited by adindas; 24-12-2017 at 4:10 PM.
    • planteria
    • By planteria 24th Dec 17, 6:29 PM
    • 5,000 Posts
    • 1,110 Thanks
    planteria
    they have, and i suspect many more are still to do so as a result of backing cryptocurrencies.
    • 4 Pete's Sake
    • By 4 Pete's Sake 24th Dec 17, 6:59 PM
    • 268 Posts
    • 187 Thanks
    4 Pete's Sake
    If you are worried the value of BC drop by 19% or even larger then 30% then unless you have a crystal ball, you should not touch Bitcoin even with a barge pole.

Since the introduction of BC, the history has shown that BC has dropped 30% or more multiple times before it rises again to a new high. It is a very volatile. You should consider BC as a speculative move rather than investment. But some people have become millionaires from this speculative move.
    Originally posted by adindas
    That may be true, but a 45% drop in a 5 day period is alarming. It has bounced a bit but is now dropping again and back around the $13,000 mark.

I wonder how many of those who have Bitcoin have tried to sell it, or as is often the case, part of it. Bitcoin Brokers rarely let you sell all your holding, just a part of it.

To think that it will keep rising forevermore is very naive . Those who bought over $19,500 are likely to be very nervous now. Remember the saying, "If it seems to good to be true then it probably is".
    • BananaRepublic
    • By BananaRepublic 24th Dec 17, 8:06 PM
    • 1,192 Posts
    • 874 Thanks
    BananaRepublic

And many more will lose the shirt off of their backs. That is the nature of pyramid schemes and their ilk. I freely admit not seeing the Bitcoin craze coming, and would have bought in early had I known. Though there is part of me that says it is immoral and quite unlike equities which finance the creation of a company that benefits us all. Except for Piers Morgan's production company, of course, which is evil.
    • fun4everyone
    • By fun4everyone 24th Dec 17, 8:16 PM
    • 995 Posts
    • 1,529 Thanks
    fun4everyone
    Pyramid scheme lol. Could always try reading and understanding instead of repeating ill informed hysterics.

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Myths
    • BananaRepublic
    • By BananaRepublic 24th Dec 17, 8:35 PM
    • 1,192 Posts
    • 874 Thanks
    BananaRepublic
    Pyramid scheme lol. Could always try reading and understanding instead of repeating ill informed hysterics.

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Myths
    Originally posted by fun4everyone
    Well that was a pile of nonsense. Bitcoin seems to have turned into a religion, with its swivel eyed fanatics accusing the rest of the world of dishonesty, and ignorance. Admittedly the owners of aforementioned swivelling eyes are often rather wealthy.
    • fun4everyone
    • By fun4everyone 24th Dec 17, 8:37 PM
    • 995 Posts
    • 1,529 Thanks
    fun4everyone
    We will see who was spouting the nonsense in a few years.
    • adindas
    • By adindas 24th Dec 17, 10:13 PM
    • 3,548 Posts
    • 2,200 Thanks
    adindas
    That is the nature of pyramid schemes and their ilk. .
    Originally posted by BananaRepublic
    Bitcoin, Pyramid schemes, rofl
    Noone say that those who bought it at $19.000 should not be worry especially in a short term, but those who compare Bitcoin with Ponzi / Pyramid scheme should study more about Bitcoin and Ponzi Pyramid scheme before making such a sweeping statement ...

Admittedly the owners of aforementioned swivelling eyes are often rather wealthy.
    Is there any evidence News that the creator of Bitcoin Satoshi Nakamoto is wealthy ??
    Last edited by adindas; 24-12-2017 at 11:23 PM.
    • BananaRepublic
    • By BananaRepublic 24th Dec 17, 10:34 PM
    • 1,192 Posts
    • 874 Thanks
    BananaRepublic
    Bitcoin, Pyramid schemes, rofl
    Noone say that those who bought it at $19.000 should not be worry especially in a short term, but those who compare Bitcoin with Ponzi / Pyramid scheme should study more about Bitcoin and Ponzi Pyramid scheme before making such a sweeping statement ...
    Naah. If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck ....
    • adindas
    • By adindas 24th Dec 17, 10:48 PM
    • 3,548 Posts
    • 2,200 Thanks
    adindas
    Naah. If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck ....
    Have you googled it: Ponzi scheme, Bitcoin Pyramid.
    What is the fundamental difference between Ponzi and Bitcoin ???
    What did you find ???
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,866Posts Today

8,496Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Nearly at the Cheshire Show. Doing an @itvMLshow there today and tomorrow. Do say hi if you're there or ask a question.

• Good morning. I'm on the train to go to the Cheshire Show today to film for an @itvmlshow Roadshow. Looking forwa? https://t.co/T0uKOKyj4I

• Early days, but so far a huge majority - 19 in 20 people - support legalising cannabis for medical use. Whereas t? https://t.co/a3gJipQITc

• Follow Martin