Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sleepyjones
    • By sleepyjones 26th Oct 17, 10:19 AM
    • 4,074Posts
    • 306,061Thanks
    sleepyjones
    Advents, what, where? (Notes about posting advents)
    • 26th Oct 17, 10:19 AM
    Advents, what, where? (Notes about posting advents) 26th Oct 17 at 10:19 AM
    Same questions come up every year in the run up to Christmas and the advents, so here goes :

What is an Advent?
    Basically, think of the Advent Calendars you got a kid (or the Gin one you get now!), you open a box each day and got a "treat". Advents are basically that, you open todays box and enter that days competition.

So a site may do a standard advent which opens on the 1st December and closes on the 25th December, each day of the advent there will be a new competition with (generally) a new / different prize. So you would return to the site every day (open that days window) and enter the competition. Some advents will for example not open until the 15th December, some may close on the 15th December, some may run straight through to the New Year etc etc

Why all the fuss / stress?
    It can be tricky to keep on top of the advents because there might be 200 sites running advents, on various platforms (ie Twitter / Facebook / Instagram / fill out a form etc), with varying prizes ... while all this is going on you will still have the standard competitions being posted (generally there are probably more competitions that will get posted in the run up to Christmas that aren't necessarily "advents"), so it can get a bit "busy".

How are Advents typically posted?
    Planning to change the way the advents are posted this year, so read on! ... Advents are usually posted on the main Competitions forum starting with an A: instead of the usual E:, Someone, generally (whoever posted the advent) will then add a link onto the Advent thread (more on that later). However, this year we're going to trial that all advent posts are posted with an A: instead of the usual E: ... this is so that when a user sorts the forum by name, the advent threads will all appear together. It would also be nice to keep thread titles to a bare minimum, so instead of posting something like :

E: 24/12 Thorntons ADVENT - Win Chocolates daily

We'd like the title to simply become :

A: 24/12 Thorntons

You can then also add the usual (TW) / (FB) / (Weekly) type monickers at the end.

If you see an advent post who's title goes overly into detail or uses an E:, please post a reply asking them to change the title so that the admins don't have to spend time editing titles.

So, the A: advent threads will just be the same as normal competition posts, you click the link and it takes you to the Advent post for that competition where the "chat" for the advent should take place.

On the main board, it's usually a sticky at the top of the first page, you'll find the "2017 Advents Thread", this will list all of the Advent posts ordered into categories. This thread should only be used for informing the "Master of Advent ceremonies" that a new Advent has been posted and it needs to get added to the list, please keep all chat related to a specific advent in the advents competition thread (not the 2017 Advents thread).

Here are some previous advent threads to give you an idea of what I'm oan aboot :

Is it worth it, do you win?

Yes and yes, a lot of MSE'rs win on the advents, some don't win anything, it's no different from any other type of competition really. The thing with Advents is that a "competition" will only run for 1 day then the next day there will be another one. This will generally mean that it won't have as many entries as some of your standard competitions ... but then a lot more people will pick up "comping" in the run up to christmas ... so who knows.

Do you have to enter every day?
    Nope, not unless it specifically says to, generally you would just enter for the prizes you want (ie, sometimes a "Prize" is Free Postage, or 10% off your order, which you just wouldn't bother entering at all).
    Some "advents" may have a "Grand Prize" where they might stipulate that you have to enter, for example, on 10 days over the course of the advent, these won't stop you from winning an individual days prize though.

How do you keep track?
    In the standard way on the forums, clicking a link in the Advent thread will take you to the Advent post, if someone has posted a "Here's today's comp" reply, thank them, you'll then know you've entered this because you have the "thanks" registered against the reply, you can't specifically Green tick the reply so use the "Thanks" as an alternative.

A lot of users will setup Spreadsheets, word documents or setup folders in their browser and save their preferred advents into it (ie the one that has the best or more relevant prizes to them), some people just go Hog-wild and enter everything. It's up to you.

Advents over 100
    Trialled this last year and it seemed to be a roaring success, so we'll be bringing this back this year. There'll be a post in the Compers Chat Forum called "Advents over 100" ... if you're going through the advents and notice a prize that is worth 100 or more you can post a link to it in that thread, this allows users who are out Christmas Shopping all day the ability to catch up on all of the days "good" prizes without having to trawl through 300-odd competition threads. All you need to do is post the Day number (if there is one), the title and a link to the competition thread ... here's last years post in action :
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5567411

The 2017 Advents thread can be found here
    ---------

If you've never done the advents before and you're a bit of a slow/end date comper, take the time now (before the advents start) to tick off as many competitions ending in December as you can, this'll give you more time for advents without having to worry about the standard competitions.

Anything else, ask / comment away.
    The actual Advent thread will probably appear on around the 1st November.

To sort the main forum to list the advents, try this
    Last edited by sleepyjones; 26-10-2017 at 1:14 PM.
Page 2
    • Blueyez
    • By Blueyez 27th Oct 17, 12:18 AM
    • 2,954 Posts
    • 18,950 Thanks
    Blueyez
    I think where it's a not very well known company or where the name could refer to more than one similar company something like:

A: 24/12 Smiths (bookstore) Or A: 24/12 Smiths (toyshop) might be helpful ?
    Originally posted by hdh74
    That sounds like a good idea.
    2018 wins-12wins
    • sleepyjones
    • By sleepyjones 27th Oct 17, 12:23 AM
    • 4,074 Posts
    • 306,061 Thanks
    sleepyjones

Definitely a yes to adding FB/TW/RC etc as that would be a big help to those who don't do those comps thus saving time by skipping them.
    Originally posted by EnglishWelshie
    ARGHHHHH
    Never any intention of not having that, it's in the original post peeps!
    • sleepyjones
    • By sleepyjones 27th Oct 17, 12:27 AM
    • 4,074 Posts
    • 306,061 Thanks
    sleepyjones
    I think where it's a not very well known company or where the name could refer to more than one similar company something like:

A: 24/12 Smiths (bookstore) Or A: 24/12 Smiths (toyshop) might be helpful ?
    yup, perfect or even
    A: 24/12 Smiths bookstore
    A: 24/12 Smiths toys

think it's Smyths toys but I get your point

You shouldn't have 2 companies with the same name, it would / should always be different anyway ... the only exception I can think of is WWF (wildlife) and WWF (Wrestling) but they weren't supposed to trade in the UK, but did and hence got sued and changed their name to WWE)

But yeah, Starbucks Coffee, Smyths Toy Superstore, Virgin Trains ... i'm not saying shorten the name of the actual brand or website/brand, ie don't post Virgin Trains as Virgin, just don't add any unnecessary bumf ... just post the name of the website ...you shouldn't have 2 names the same so it should always be Smiths Toys / Smiths Books / Smiths Magazine etc anyway
    Last edited by sleepyjones; 27-10-2017 at 1:51 AM.
    • sleepyjones
    • By sleepyjones 27th Oct 17, 1:54 AM
    • 4,074 Posts
    • 306,061 Thanks
    sleepyjones
    [rant]
    Although I do value peoples opinions I kinda think you're all thinking too much (over analysing / over complicating) / not thinking enough into this (brain fart), look at the previous years advent threads and tell me where any of your concerns have ever been a problem, actually stop, look at previous years, then comment ... I volunteered for the advents unofficially over a month ago so have been thinking it over for a while (even as far back as when there was discussions about binning the dailies), and I have done the advents before (2nd time doing the advents in my 3 years being a member of these glorious forums). I'm ok with you having your opinions and I welcome feedback ... but don't just open your mouth and let your brain fart ... have a think about it first, as I said I've actually been thinking about this for a while now.

There just seems to be a bit of a knee-jerk reaction of "oh, what about this ...", this, which probably has either never happened before or isn't too dissimilar from the way it's always been done ...

Previous years :

[/rant]
    Last edited by sleepyjones; 27-10-2017 at 2:40 AM.
    • mansey
    • By mansey 27th Oct 17, 1:58 AM
    • 4,030 Posts
    • 14,881 Thanks
    mansey
    Just bliddy get on with it
    I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints.
    !!!8213; Billy Joel

"You are awful - but I do like you! - Mandy
    • sleepyjones
    • By sleepyjones 27th Oct 17, 2:32 AM
    • 4,074 Posts
    • 306,061 Thanks
    sleepyjones
    Im trying, negative Nora's are out in force with their pants pulled up way too high!
    • hdh74
    • By hdh74 27th Oct 17, 6:27 AM
    • 2,208 Posts
    • 61,324 Thanks
    hdh74
    I'm very grateful to you however you do it. Whatever's decided we'll all adapt and you've explained it all perfectly so that should make it all easy peasy. Sorry bad health makes me too unreliable to volunteer for anything regular, very very grateful to those that do. Anyone who moans but wouldn't step in - well tough....
    • Marg2k8
    • By Marg2k8 27th Oct 17, 7:21 AM
    • 4,800 Posts
    • 185,706 Thanks
    Marg2k8
    I'm very grateful to you however you do it. Whatever's decided we'll all adapt and you've explained it all perfectly so that should make it all easy peasy. Sorry bad health makes me too unreliable to volunteer for anything regular, very very grateful to those that do. Anyone who moans but wouldn't step in - well tough....
    I quite agree.

Thanks Sleepyjones for volunteering. I'm glad you are bringing back the prizes over 100 thread that you started last year. I found that very good. Some days I was able to contribute lots to the thread and other days, I was just able to enter those other people had added, without wasting time wading through rubbish prizes.

• sleepyjones
    • By sleepyjones 27th Oct 17, 12:03 PM
    • 4,074 Posts
    • 306,061 Thanks
    sleepyjones
    Sorry, that last reply about Brain Farting sounds bit offensive in the cold light of morning ... was just a bit frustrated last night, apologies I'm on a diet so a bit grumpy
    • mansey
    • By mansey 27th Oct 17, 12:27 PM
    • 4,030 Posts
    • 14,881 Thanks
    mansey
    I didn't find it offensive, in fact I thought it was quite funny.

It is all about how you read the written word, no beating about the bush call a spade a spade and start as you mean to go on.

No messing with us oop North
    I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints.
    !!!8213; Billy Joel

"You are awful - but I do like you! - Mandy
    • hdh74
    • By hdh74 27th Oct 17, 1:02 PM
    • 2,208 Posts
    • 61,324 Thanks
    hdh74
    Perfectly said Mansy. As allus. I thought it was funny too sleepy - for heck's sake let's not be all perfectly polite prats.
    • Marcc
    • By Marcc 9th Nov 18, 9:34 PM
    • 67 Posts
    • 815 Thanks
    Marcc
    What does everyone think about just keeping advents to their own thread and not posting them on the main board at all?

I think that way we would get the best of both worlds - people who want to enter them and have the time to know where to find them and people who don't want to enter them or have the time to can still find all the other competitions without scrolling through pages and pages of advents each day.
    • sleepyjones
    • By sleepyjones 9th Nov 18, 10:03 PM
    • 4,074 Posts
    • 306,061 Thanks
    sleepyjones
    That wouldn't really work Marcc.
    You get advents where you need to answer a question, there's a different link each day. We need to have a thread for each individual advent competition so that
    1) people can post what today's prize is, so you can easily skip it if your not interested
    2) a direct link to that days competition
    3) any answers to a question that the competition might have
    4) to actually bump the post when the new days competition is up
    and 5) somewhere for people to post "I can't see the form", "it's not working for me"
    *Good Luck * Be Lucky * Stay Lucky*
    • sleepyjones
    • By sleepyjones 10th Nov 18, 10:44 AM
    • 4,074 Posts
    • 306,061 Thanks
    sleepyjones
    Just re-reading through this from last year, and as a side note, the main reason to keep the titles shorter is 1) because it should make it stand out as a single one line title and 2) when you're doing the advent thread MSE has a character limit on your post ... don't remember the exact number but when you have 200 posts linked in one post (ie FB/TW in the advents, with long titles), it's not unheard of to reach that character limit, you then need to start shuffling about the sections into the "Spare" empty posts you added and / or moving the subsequent sections down to a new post and it's all a bit of a pain

Learned a bit from previous years and have this time added a spare between each section (makes the thread a bit clunkier 'cause there's gaps, but I don't care ), but usually you would just have 4 spares at the end, meaning you'd need to move the Gleams Down to a spare, then move the twitters down etc just to create an empty post for the extra facebook characters (as an example)
    Last edited by sleepyjones; 10-11-2018 at 10:47 AM.
    *Good Luck * Be Lucky * Stay Lucky*
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

265Posts Today

3,836Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @laurawithers84: @MartinSLewis Our school is going to use your book for our new finance fortnight for year 8 students. We thought we wou?

• RT @katiejane13uk: ????????IMPORTANT - CALLING ALL LEASEHOLDERS TO COMPLETE???????? @mhclg Leasehold Reform Consultation closes this month. This is the?

• Just sent a text about postgrad loans. My Swype text auto-corrected it to pothead loans. Does it know something I don't?

• Follow Martin