Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • square bear
    • By square bear 24th Oct 17, 12:26 PM
    • 3,795Posts
    • 5,693Thanks
    square bear
    Best Genealogy site?
    • 24th Oct 17, 12:26 PM
    Best Genealogy site? 24th Oct 17 at 12:26 PM
    Hello
    I'm considering starting a family tree and before I subscribe to a site wondered if anyone on here has experience of this kind of thing and which website/s are the best to use.
    I know that my local library offers a free service but sometimes, dong research from home is more comfortable and suitable for me.

Thanks.
Page 2
    • Newly retired
    • By Newly retired 30th Oct 17, 10:50 PM
    • 2,374 Posts
    • 2,749 Thanks
    Newly retired
    I use Ancestry, but have dipped into Findmypast occasionally. Also used free BMD.
    Can anyone tell me the best way to save stuff from Ancestry to my computer? I have saved some extracts from censuses and copies of certificates, but can I save my tree, or parts of it?
    What is the best software to print a tree?
    Thanks in advance.
    • square bear
    • By square bear 5th Nov 17, 10:12 AM
    • 3,795 Posts
    • 5,693 Thanks
    square bear
    Hello again.
    I've made some more progress and found a couple of very interesting pieces of information.
    One thing, the lady relative I spoke of that was thought to have been adopted, I found that her mother remarried but the daughter retained her fathers name but her mother took on her new re-married name.
    Also, the daughter had a brother who died a few days after birth.

Does anyone have any advice on how I could find old photos of relatives?
    Can one obtain old passport photos from somewhere, for example?

Thanks
    • Grumpelstiltskin
    • By Grumpelstiltskin 7th Nov 17, 8:26 AM
    • 2,263 Posts
    • 2,361 Thanks
    Grumpelstiltskin
    Old photographs can be a pain. Unfortunately when people die sometimes photos are just dumped.

You can't access passport photos.

I have found photos of some of my ancestors online. Some Ancestry family trees have photos attached, and some were on a village history website.
    • ghostlymoron
    • By ghostlymoron 11th Aug 18, 9:08 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    ghostlymoron
    Genes reunited
    I started a family tree some years ago when the choice was very limited. I used genesreunited.co.uk recently I decided to try again and renewed my subscription but later also had a free trial on ancestry. I found that things have advanced greatly and genesreunited now appears antiquate. Ancestry is far better: easy to navigate, good information and hints which all make tracing ancestors easy and quick. I regret renewing my genes subscription but at least I have been able to port my earlier research into my computer in the .ged format.
    I would try several sites before you subscribe and pick the one you find easiest to use. It's a fascinating hobby, great for winter evenings. I'm back to 1775 on one branch but have yet to find any royal connections.
    • andydownes123
    • By andydownes123 11th Aug 18, 6:29 PM
    • 278 Posts
    • 356 Thanks
    andydownes123
    None. Unless you’re happy to have your personal details ‘loaned’ to the highest bidder.
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 11th Aug 18, 6:41 PM
    • 7,956 Posts
    • 23,929 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    M'lady mother taught me a great deal about my family, but she was a bit hazy about pre-grandparents - fair enough, she'd learned not just her family but her husband's.

I uploaded the basics onto ancestry.com, and have pulled GEDCOM format copes of my work down as backups & am now back to about 1750 with a few family portraits and newspaper photo archive stuff for the faces. I'm very lucky that my great-grandmother enjoyed the hobby & published her researches (& some pretty scandalous stories) privately so I was able to sketch on a few more branches - to find through ancestry that other family members had either copies the same info or theirs matched.

My membership has lapsed but I may go back & get an international year to chase the details on the Australian & Commonwealth branches.

My one grouch about ancestry is I can't see how to prune branches I have inadvertently cloned...
    • harrys nan
    • By harrys nan 11th Aug 18, 6:55 PM
    • 1,490 Posts
    • 2,982 Thanks
    harrys nan
    Check and see if your surname is part of The Guild of one name study.
    https://one-name.org/

I am a member of my maternal name and have had help back to 1500's
    Treat other's how you like to be treated.

Harry born 23/09/2008
    New baby grandson, Louie born 28/06/2012,
    Proud nanny to two beautiful boys
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,474Posts Today

8,517Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin