Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mumof3.12kindebt
    • By mumof3.12kindebt 23rd Oct 17, 9:38 PM
    • 346Posts
    • 933Thanks
    mumof3.12kindebt
    Best put on my big girl pants! my saving for a deposit diary
    • 23rd Oct 17, 9:38 PM
    Best put on my big girl pants! my saving for a deposit diary 23rd Oct 17 at 9:38 PM
    My diary to debt free and saving for a deposit by 35 .*updated feb 2018 - aim to be homeowners by if not hopefully before 30*

we aim to save 25k before even going to the bank for a dip

current age 25 . current financal status . trying but not trying hard enough . in debt with hardly a pot to wee in ... it has to change ... from today

we have consolidated our debts as of November so will just do an update regarding extra payments and a remaining balance every few months.

for the most part this will be my diary on saving for a deposit the highs lows and raising 3 children all currently 8yo or younger while doing it .
    Last edited by mumof3.12kindebt; 25-02-2018 at 10:13 PM.
Page 8
    • mumof3.12kindebt
    • By mumof3.12kindebt 8th Mar 18, 6:11 PM
    • 346 Posts
    • 933 Thanks
    mumof3.12kindebt
    Went to get youngests presents for her birthday today. Came in 11 under our budget in total just her cake to get now. I have killer back ache. Have a doctors appointment for Saturday morning to try and get to the bottom of a few things that's been going on recently. I'm a little worried. But trying not to think about it. Hopefully it's nothing serious.
    • selloptape
    • By selloptape 8th Mar 18, 8:28 PM
    • 456 Posts
    • 1,877 Thanks
    selloptape
    Good luck for Sat. Hope all!!!8217;s okay with the docs x
    GC May 78.51/290 GC April 240.65/300March 322.53/350
    2 Savers Club #59 58
    MFW 2018 #49 600/3,000
    MFiT T4 #21 - reduce mortgage by 20k over 3 years
    • shangaijimmy
    • By shangaijimmy 9th Mar 18, 7:43 AM
    • 2,704 Posts
    • 13,339 Thanks
    shangaijimmy
    Without knowing too much about your back i'd suggest seeing an osteopath. You'll have to pay for treatment but from experience the cost outweighs the pain that it eventually eliminates. May even be worth asking your GP to send you there instead of to a physio. Hope it all works out.
    MFW: Turning June 2036 into March 2025... 38//120 Payments Challenge, Diary Reduction 40,984.38
    Aug 2009: 163,051 // Current: 95,015.63 // Avg Daily Interest 4.27
    MFiT-T4 #8 - 74.24% of 41,000
    • mumof3.12kindebt
    • By mumof3.12kindebt 10th Mar 18, 7:11 PM
    • 346 Posts
    • 933 Thanks
    mumof3.12kindebt
    Thank-you for the replies. It's much appreciated.

I went to see my gp today. I'm on Antibiotics for a bladder infection. And I have an emergency apointment for a smear a week on Monday. It would of been for Wednesday but it's babies birthday and I already have an appointment that day. If the smear comes back with something then we will be going down whatever road it takes me. If not I have to be referred for further investigations and scans. I'm putting on a brave face and trying not to show the family I'm worried partly because as of yet there is nothing to be worried about as such. But today's appointment made me realise life is so precious and can be taken at the blink of an eye. We have recently been spending alot more time as a family now the youngest is a little older and settling for bed etc. The small things like playing a board game together watching a film going for a walk or to the park. Do I really want to save every single spare penny for the next 3 years to buy a house (which is what I have been doing) or should I be saving half or 3/4 of the amount and doing things with my family instead the odd day out. Making memories etc. I definitely prefer the later after today. I'm still going to be sensible I'll still be saving. But their is much more to life than buying your own home. I just want to enjoy life and enjoy the journey. I want to make memories with my babies and partner I want to walk down an isle one day. I want to dance in the rain. Play in the leaves with my kids. I want to race them down a slide and roll down hills. I want to laugh with them until every muscle in my body hurts, until I can't breathe. I want to wake up every morning thinking what will we do today to end the day full of laughter, memories and smiles. But most importantantly I want to wake up. I want to breathe in the air and watch the trees in the wind. I want to be able to enjoy everyday until I one day see my last day which hopefully won't be for many years. I want to apriciate everything around me. And everyone around me. Life is precious and a blessing and tomorrow isnt promised..
    Those who died yesterday had plans for this morning. And those that died today had plans for tonight. Don't take life for granted. In the blink of an eye everything can change
    • debtaghh
    • By debtaghh 10th Mar 18, 8:22 PM
    • 1,220 Posts
    • 4,486 Thanks
    debtaghh
    Very true, life is too short. It's hard trying to find the in between with clearing debt or saving or spending the extra on treats.
    Debt 16th October 2017: Cc 49,987- family 37,561: total debt 87549

Current debt: Cc 42,775 , Family 39,608 total debt 82,383

Frugal living challenge # 10- 8000 presents/ food/ entertainment/clothes/shoes/haircuts
    • mumof3.12kindebt
    • By mumof3.12kindebt 11th Mar 18, 3:54 PM
    • 346 Posts
    • 933 Thanks
    mumof3.12kindebt
    Got back from church and partner was having a slight moan there was nothing to eat. So to stop him going to the shop I made American pancakes. Everyone's happy.

Got the kids nan some flowers 10
    And milk 2.50 for 8 pints.

That's the only spends today
    • mumof3.12kindebt
    • By mumof3.12kindebt 11th Mar 18, 5:00 PM
    • 346 Posts
    • 933 Thanks
    mumof3.12kindebt
    In other news I need to update my spreadsheet tonight.

I need to contact my nvq tutor tomorrow.
    And do a food shop. I'm feeling quite tired and achy today. We were going to go for a walk earlier today but it started pouring it down so we watched a film instead. I'm secretly glad otherwise god knows how much pain id be in if we had gone. I'm hoping to get the energy to bake and do some gardening and sort out the bedrooms again this week. But we will see. As at the moment I'm exhausted.
    • mumof3.12kindebt
    • By mumof3.12kindebt 12th Mar 18, 11:48 AM
    • 346 Posts
    • 933 Thanks
    mumof3.12kindebt
    we have a Meeting with ds2 nursery today.
    And will be popping to Asda to get partners mom and my grand mothers some flowers for mothers day. (I don't see my mum, but that's another story) and will stop at Aldi on the way home for nappies for the two youngest.

I'm feeling a little better today but energy levels are still low and I have work tomorrow morning so Trying to rest and not do too much.

The kitchen is clean and tidy.
    Youngests presents are on the bed ready to be wrapped tonight for Wednesday.

I have Thursday to Saturday off with no plans. So I'm going to concentrate on finally getting the hall finished. And the bedrooms reorganized again.

I'm trying to spend as little as possible as I still hope to get on the property ladder before youngest starts school and also be completely debt free. (just my loan to pay off).

We have agreed when the two youngest need more clothes we are going to hunt second hand and charity shops and the same rule will apply for Xmas this year to get the most for our money.

Looking back on our spread sheet so far we will struggle to say in budget this month.

I've spoke to partner and we have agreed to add on a other/days out to the budget this will be 100 a month. If we want something outside of the budget or a day out that costs money it comes out of this. If we want something and it costs more than the 100 we have to save enough in that account before we can buy it.

We are going to do a roadtrip with the kids in the summer. Will set a budget and once the money runs out we come home. We won't be pre-booking places to stay etc. We will just load up the car with the camping stuff and kids and go with a plan of places we want to visit. I think we are going to do this every year. In the UK first and then get our passports and start traveling Europe. The one major holiday we have planned is disneyland Paris in 2022 .

I keep telling myself I want a proper dining room / area. This is one of the things keeping me motivated to save . But we still need the odd treat so it doesn't get too much. I don't want the journey of saving to stop us enjoying life. My kids only get one childhood. And I dont want them growing up thinking we are poor or were always Skint because we never had a day out etc. I'm not saying days out have to cost. We will be doing as many free days out as possible but it would be nice to go to the cinema or bowling or too a zoo etc . That reminds me I still have the money in the money box for our annual national trust pass.
    It would be amazing if we could still buy somewhere before Xmas next year.

That reminds me I'm going to sort out my banking this week and see what can be transferred to savings.
    • mumof3.12kindebt
    • By mumof3.12kindebt 12th Mar 18, 4:14 PM
    • 346 Posts
    • 933 Thanks
    mumof3.12kindebt
    150 in money box
    50 from cashing in our change. All ready to be paid into our savings account tomorrow
    • mumof3.12kindebt
    • By mumof3.12kindebt 12th Mar 18, 4:27 PM
    • 346 Posts
    • 933 Thanks
    mumof3.12kindebt
    not including the money for our national trust pass

Today we found out ds2 who has gdd. Will be going to mainstream school in September with full-time additional support to be reviewed every term. I really hope they have made the right choice for him.

Eldest and his friend will be back from school soon so oven is on ready for dinner. Ds2 and dd have had a nap. And I can't wait to get into a bath and then bed.
    • debtaghh
    • By debtaghh 12th Mar 18, 7:07 PM
    • 1,220 Posts
    • 4,486 Thanks
    debtaghh
    Keep going, you're doing great.
    Debt 16th October 2017: Cc 49,987- family 37,561: total debt 87549

Current debt: Cc 42,775 , Family 39,608 total debt 82,383

Frugal living challenge # 10- 8000 presents/ food/ entertainment/clothes/shoes/haircuts
    • mumof3.12kindebt
    • By mumof3.12kindebt 13th Mar 18, 9:05 PM
    • 346 Posts
    • 933 Thanks
    mumof3.12kindebt
    i really feel like i need a break away, i've agreed with partner to see what we have saved by our birthday (both july) if we can id like to do a long weekend in london and a camping trip.

had work today and im still feeling exhausted, not going to lie i may just go to bed once ive updated the spreadsheet. im off now until sunday fortunately as ive taken some holiday, i have some 'paperwork' to do and its quite alot so im going to focus on that from Thursday till next week to keep my mind off things. i haven't felt this tired in a very long time.

im going to inquire about carpet and lino quotes for our lounge and bathroom to make things nicer well we are here as im starting to get very depressed again about 'this place' i keep seeing things id love but we don't have the room here or don't see the point in buying it until we move and know what sort of room sizes we are dealing with.

all i can say is im well and truly feeling fed up
    • mumof3.12kindebt
    • By mumof3.12kindebt 13th Mar 18, 10:11 PM
    • 346 Posts
    • 933 Thanks
    mumof3.12kindebt
    ive purchased our national trust pass for the year ! planning our first day out for this weekend hopefully
    • mumof3.12kindebt
    • By mumof3.12kindebt 15th Mar 18, 9:30 AM
    • 346 Posts
    • 933 Thanks
    mumof3.12kindebt
    youngests birthday has been and gone. was a very busy day of family visiting.

need to update the spreadsheet

off to do the housework
    • mumof3.12kindebt
    • By mumof3.12kindebt 15th Mar 18, 5:35 PM
    • 346 Posts
    • 933 Thanks
    mumof3.12kindebt
    will make a point of depositing the money out of the money box before the weekend.

once thats cleared we have a grand total of 4000 so far not bad considering we started our journey 5 months ago and we have also cleared 2100 in debt ! pleased with that

me and the partner just had a high five about it .. little wiggle of a celebration woohoo!
    Last edited by mumof3.12kindebt; 15-03-2018 at 7:25 PM.
    • mumof3.12kindebt
    • By mumof3.12kindebt 15th Mar 18, 7:25 PM
    • 346 Posts
    • 933 Thanks
    mumof3.12kindebt
    spreadsheet updated, its an eye opener to say the least !
    • gallygirl
    • By gallygirl 15th Mar 18, 7:53 PM
    • 16,588 Posts
    • 109,533 Thanks
    gallygirl
    me and the partner just had a high five about it .. little wiggle of a celebration woohoo!
    Originally posted by mumof3.12kindebt
    You need to use the money shuffle dance:

Well done both of you

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    Mortgage Balance = 0
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
    • mumof3.12kindebt
    • By mumof3.12kindebt 16th Mar 18, 5:15 PM
    • 346 Posts
    • 933 Thanks
    mumof3.12kindebt
    Thank you

Tonight after school we went to the park. We ce home all covered in mud. As well as the park we jumped in puddles. We rolled down hills. He screamed hello from the top of a hill. I captured middle childs first ever hill roll on camera I went down the slide with the youngest and the boys. It was an hour of pure laughter and joy for all of us.

Oven is heating up for dinner and then I'm going to continue with sorting out our bedroom which I started before the school run
    • mumof3.12kindebt
    • By mumof3.12kindebt 17th Mar 18, 8:45 AM
    • 346 Posts
    • 933 Thanks
    mumof3.12kindebt
    It's snowing here today. Only light so it won't stick. (hopefully) as I have work tomorrow.

Sorted out our bedroom last night. Ordered some chest of drawers and bed side tables. Hoping it will help keep it more organised. Other than If we buy new chest of drawers for the kids at somepoint. And storage for the bathroom that's the last of buying any furniture before we move. They are smaller than our current ones so will allow more space. But that's the last of the spending outside our budget.

We still need to book the water zorbing experience and have nandos vouchers to use.

Nearly every room here is now better organized and it's making me feel better about living here. To be honest though I have got rid of lots of stuff.

Need to update the spreadsheet again.

Need to sort the kids room. The cupboard in our room and the drawer under dds cot this week.

Church tomorrow again as I'm not in till the afternoon.

Off to read my book for abit before I crack on with the housework. We are spending the day at home today. Might do some baking later.

Today will be a NSD either way
    • mumof3.12kindebt
    • By mumof3.12kindebt 17th Mar 18, 12:05 PM
    • 346 Posts
    • 933 Thanks
    mumof3.12kindebt
    Used up the eggs that needed using up for lunch. And going to use the rest to make pancake mix and pancakes for some breakfasts this week.
    Made my bed. Kitchen is clean and tidy just need too hoover. Hoping to fill a bin bag of stuff to leave the house this weekend.

Off to sort through the boys clothes now. Did dds yesterday and will sort through mine again when the chest of drawers come. They are coming between 7-11am on Monday which is awsome means I can sort through the clothes Monday afternoon after my smear. Thinking of getting so drawer organisers for our socks and underwear drawers. And possibly one for my leggings
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

420Posts Today

4,985Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin