Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mumof3.12kindebt
    • By mumof3.12kindebt 23rd Oct 17, 9:38 PM
    • 386Posts
    • 1,070Thanks
    mumof3.12kindebt
    Best put on my big girl pants! my saving for a deposit diary
    • 23rd Oct 17, 9:38 PM
    Best put on my big girl pants! my saving for a deposit diary 23rd Oct 17 at 9:38 PM
    My diary to debt free and saving for a deposit by 35 .*updated feb 2018 - aim to be homeowners by if not hopefully before 30*

we aim to save 25k before even going to the bank for a dip

current age 25 . current financal status . trying but not trying hard enough . in debt with hardly a pot to wee in ... it has to change ... from today

we have consolidated our debts as of November so will just do an update regarding extra payments and a remaining balance every few months.

for the most part this will be my diary on saving for a deposit the highs lows and raising 3 children all currently 8yo or younger while doing it .
    Last edited by mumof3.12kindebt; 25-02-2018 at 10:13 PM.
Page 14
    • mumof3.12kindebt
    • By mumof3.12kindebt 18th Aug 18, 10:59 PM
    • 386 Posts
    • 1,070 Thanks
    mumof3.12kindebt
    Things haven Been good. I've had to take a few days off sick which I won't be paid for so wages will be down in next pay. We are doing a carboot a week on Monday and in the mean time I'm selling as much as I can on fb to make up for loss of wages. Also gets rid of stuff out the house.
    I've minimised the kids clothes and mine. Minimised the toys. Tomorrow I'm going to bag up house hold stuff before work. And go through the wardrobe again and under the stairs monday.

Tomorrow I Aim to put 20 things in a bag to leave my home.

Also on a plus side I've been doing yoga at home again. It really helps with my cerebral palsy and I have managed without tramadol for 6 weeks. (was taking it daily)

Also tomorrow I'm going to go back to my vape. And cut my caffeine and go back to drinking more water as I've been struggling to sleep lately.

We will have to make up for the lack of days out over the last two weeks in the next few weeks and the upcoming weekends I have off. (been housebound for 2 weeks due to all of us being Ill)

Hoping to get back on track with the finances now we are all better too
    • debtaghh
    • By debtaghh 18th Aug 18, 11:17 PM
    • 1,422 Posts
    • 5,376 Thanks
    debtaghh
    Hope things pick up for you.
    • lindez
    • By lindez 19th Aug 18, 8:08 PM
    • 320 Posts
    • 1,120 Thanks
    lindez
    just read your diary you have done well getting rid of your loan well done !! I hope you all feel a lot better soon x
    Payment A Day Chapter 18:
    MFWB#44
    • mumof3.12kindebt
    • By mumof3.12kindebt 20th Aug 18, 6:34 PM
    • 386 Posts
    • 1,070 Thanks
    mumof3.12kindebt
    Thankyou both.
    Managed to sell some stuff today and made £30
    Survived last nights shift. Back in tomorrow morning
    Did some money shuffling so put some money in the savings account.
    Eldest went to play at a friends so he's had a good day.
    Going to list some more for sale once the youngest too are in bed. Then it's bath and early night for me.

Have a good evening all
    • mumof3.12kindebt
    • By mumof3.12kindebt 27th Aug 18, 10:29 PM
    • 386 Posts
    • 1,070 Thanks
    mumof3.12kindebt
    Giving blood for the second time tomorrow. !
    Did a carboot this morning made £31 after our pitch fee. Doing another one on Saturday.
    Sorted the boys bedroom out.
    Need to Sort our room the lounge and kitchen this week while I'm on annual leave
    • mumof3.12kindebt
    • By mumof3.12kindebt 28th Aug 18, 1:31 PM
    • 386 Posts
    • 1,070 Thanks
    mumof3.12kindebt
    It's coming to the end of the month. And this month has made me realise I lost the focus on my goal a little.
    Here is our currently financial situation.
    Catalogue 585
    Loan 140
    Credit card 859
    Emergency fund 2100
    House 0
    House money box 111

I could pay off my debts completely this month but that would leave us with very little savings and that gives me huge anxiety I don't want to go back to that place. So I'm going to continue to build the savings and pay some each month out the debt. The loan will be paid off after next months dd. Then I'll be concentrating on the cc and then the catalogue as it's 0% Interest.

I have all my target aims on each account name for my savings so I know how much I'm aiming for.
    I also need to update my budget tonight and crack on with my diploma
    • mumof3.12kindebt
    • By mumof3.12kindebt 1st Sep 18, 10:17 PM
    • 386 Posts
    • 1,070 Thanks
    mumof3.12kindebt
    1st of septemeber

this month is my last loan payment
    Last edited by mumof3.12kindebt; 01-09-2018 at 10:25 PM.
    • mumof3.12kindebt
    • By mumof3.12kindebt 1st Sep 18, 10:48 PM
    • 386 Posts
    • 1,070 Thanks
    mumof3.12kindebt
    my goals by the end of the year.
    sell my little car
    have £5k in emergency fund
    be debt free
    quit the fags !! (this is one i have been trying but not hard enough)
    give blood once more before the year finishes
    get ds2 settled in school

plan for now intill the new year
    sept - pay off credit card and loan
    oct - pay off catalogue + £500 in savings
    nov - £1100 in savings
    december - £500 in savings + £600 for xmas

plus any money from the sale of my car. (which i need to get valued).
    plus any overtime money.

i also have a 6 month electric bill on its way as our meter was broken, so savings will drop when i pay that.

January 1st we start the deposit saving journey
    • zcrat41
    • By zcrat41 2nd Sep 18, 6:55 AM
    • 1,504 Posts
    • 4,142 Thanks
    zcrat41
    Good luck with your goals.

I had a lot of success with nicotine lozenges many years ago.
    Aim: To o/p the mortgage by £131 pm.
    07/18: £254. Smashed it!
    08/18: £219.31 Smashed it again!
    09/18: £131 Acheived challenge
    10/18 £Target £131 plus £50 into savings
    • mumof3.12kindebt
    • By mumof3.12kindebt 7th Sep 18, 10:37 AM
    • 386 Posts
    • 1,070 Thanks
    mumof3.12kindebt
    I have a vape which I've managed to quit with before... Going to give it another try.

Doing an extra shift at work today.

We have had a good first week to September.
    All spends have been essential. (food petrol council tax etc)

Will pay the credit card Off in full at the end of the month
    Then next month it just leaves my catalogue and then we will be debt free.
    l
    • mumof3.12kindebt
    • By mumof3.12kindebt 16th Sep 18, 4:44 PM
    • 386 Posts
    • 1,070 Thanks
    mumof3.12kindebt
    Managed to get another extra shift on Friday at work.

Concentrating on getting rid of all our debt by next month. Then I need to build our emergency fund higher. After that it's our house deposit. And once moved I'll be continuing to save up so I can take the plunge in setting up my own business. In the meantime I need to concentrate on getting all my relevant qualifications.

I seem to never have any down time anymore. So last night my and the OH went out for a meal.
    • jodles16
    • By jodles16 17th Sep 18, 9:39 PM
    • 1,369 Posts
    • 4,142 Thanks
    jodles16
    Have read your diary, you are amazing! So many people would struggle with even one of the things you deal with on a daily basis, you fabulous person!

Did you manage to sort out the pension thing?

Keep up the amazing work!

Jodles
    MFW2017 #29 1200.24/4524
    MFiT #66
    Overall aim 10,124.20/21,743 (£156,000)
    2016- Jan-£177,472, Apr-£173,195.04, July- £171,417.47 Oct- 169,366
    2017- Jan- 167,347.80 Apr- July- Oct-

• mumof3.12kindebt
    • By mumof3.12kindebt 7th Oct 18, 12:40 PM
    • 386 Posts
    • 1,070 Thanks
    mumof3.12kindebt
    Hi jodles hope your well. Thanks for stopping by
    I haven't managed to get my pension sorted dispite a number of written requests.

But...

I've handed in my notice and should start my new job next month. I'm hoping Ill be able to get regular overtime. If not I'm going to try and find an agency I can work for too to increase our income.

We have also got engaged. Don't plan to marry for a few years at least and when we do it will be as simple as possible. If I could be legally married without a wedding that is what I would do

Things in life are looking bright.
    finances will be stretched over the coming months. But I'm looking forward to our future. With all the hard work I'll be putting in I hope it all pays off.

I really need to re-look at my finances and see where we are at. I'll do that tonight.
    • Hazelnutty
    • By Hazelnutty 7th Oct 18, 6:23 PM
    • 75 Posts
    • 241 Thanks
    Hazelnutty
    Just stopping by as a newbie - congrats and good luck!
    • debtaghh
    • By debtaghh 7th Oct 18, 7:05 PM
    • 1,422 Posts
    • 5,376 Thanks
    debtaghh
    Congratulations on your engagement and new job!
    • mumof3.12kindebt
    • By mumof3.12kindebt 8th Oct 18, 8:35 PM
    • 386 Posts
    • 1,070 Thanks
    mumof3.12kindebt
    Thankyou
    Plan to do a no spend week from the tenth to the 15th. So will do a food shop with enough to last. Will make us get creative with using up food and teach us what we can live without. Quite excited!

.... I need to get a life..
    • mumof3.12kindebt
    • By mumof3.12kindebt 13th Oct 18, 9:04 PM
    • 386 Posts
    • 1,070 Thanks
    mumof3.12kindebt
    My little car has been damaged. Huge deep scratch covering both doors.
    I have a 500 pound excess on my insurance so going to get a price to have it done if it's cheaper than insurance I'll do it that way if not I'll make a claim. As soon as its rectified it's being sold. Although my little car will be perfect for me to do agency work. And the extra cash would be good.

I really need to get this debt cleared it's starting too bug me. We are so close and yet it feels so far away... Urgh !

I hope to have it all cleared by dec/jan .
    I'm not going mad this Christmas. I'm half tempted to tell the family we wont be buying for them

I should be paid by my current employer at the beginning of next month. And then paid by my new employer on the 26th. I need to speak to the as I still have no start date.

Going to have a cuppa and go through my emails on my laptop to make sure they haven't tried t< get in touch. Then I'm going to get an early night.

Hope you all have a lovely weekend
    • mumof3.12kindebt
    • By mumof3.12kindebt 13th Oct 18, 9:43 PM
    • 386 Posts
    • 1,070 Thanks
    mumof3.12kindebt
    Just got a quote online for my car
    After the cost of a respray I should be able to get around 5500 for it.
    I'm gutted to sell it and I could easily get some agency work if I kept it. But it's just devaluing sat outside and ATM Im not using it enough.

So I'm going to definitely sell it. I will be able to pay off my remaining debt. And the rest of the money with what I already have saved will bring us up-to 5k in the emergency fund. Which means as of January we can properly start our deposit saving journey.
    Between January and December next year I Aim to save 15k in our house deposit fund. Im happy to take on extra work to make it happen. If we could achieve this for the next two years we will then be in a position to apply for a mortgage. So no more excuses. Let's do this!!

And now ive put that on here there is no backing down!
    • mumof3.12kindebt
    • By mumof3.12kindebt 15th Oct 18, 8:07 PM
    • 386 Posts
    • 1,070 Thanks
    mumof3.12kindebt
    had my appointment throught today to see another consultant. Regarding my bowel. GP thinks I have inflammatory bowel disease .

other than that we are doing OK. We are on track with the budget.
    It's also looking like I'll be able to complete my diploma by Xmas
    • mumof3.12kindebt
    • By mumof3.12kindebt 17th Oct 18, 9:51 AM
    • 386 Posts
    • 1,070 Thanks
    mumof3.12kindebt
    Attended my best friends wedding yesterday. I didnt spend anything as I drank drinks they provided instead of going to the bar.
    Ex MIL had the kids. She also tided and cleaned the house for me bless her and did my last load of laundry
    I ache a lot today.

Today's plan
    empty the car
    Take car for a drink
    List items on fb/ebay
    Do diploma
    Make spag bol for dinner
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,898Posts Today

7,583Users online

Martin's Twitter