Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    • Mark4321
    • By Mark4321 21st Oct 17, 6:39 PM
    • 25Posts
    • 0Thanks
    ESA and private pension
    • #1
    • 21st Oct 17, 6:39 PM
    ESA and private pension 21st Oct 17 at 6:39 PM
    Hi ,
    I am on ESA Contribution based and in the Support Group from 2014 , same year ( before ESA) was granted with my private ill pension. Obviously when I was applying for ESA
    I have informed DWP about this providing them all data they asked in the questionare including amount,my policy number and details of my ill pension provider. I have informed them later twice about my ill pension ( last time in Dec 2015 when I asked DWP for mandatory reconsideration as they placed me in WREG group and I was successful ). In Aug 2016 due to my condition deterioration I was placed in the higher group resulting in more money from my ill pension. Yesterday I have received letter from DWP that I made a fraud because I didn't inform them about my ill pension increase. I am shocked because first of all I had no idea I have to inform them about my private pension change. They already have all details about my ill pension and I would be an idiot by intentinally not telling them about my ill pension change to missclaim any money from DWP. Also HMRC is fully aware about my pension increase and I am obviously being taxed on it as necessary. As above, I had no idea I need to tell DWP about my ill pension change and would assume that if they have all details from me plus HMRC is aware of it any necessary amendements will be done automaticly as this is one government body. I have looked at some posts on forum and understand now that if private pensions exceeds 85 pounds a week then I will get only 50% of ESA but I am stressed out that apart of money repayment I will be charged a fine or may go to jail for a fraud as they are saying . I am not claiming any other benefits and ESA is my only one. I wish today was Monday as I would like to call DWP straightaway to find out what happens. So I am asking you for some advice as I can't stop thinking about consequences.
    Last edited by Mark4321; 21-10-2017 at 6:46 PM.
Page 5
    • Mark4321
    • By Mark4321 8th Feb 18, 5:28 PM
    • 25 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    For how long PiP is usually granted ? I understand same way like with ESA they do reassessments ?
    • Alice Holt
    • By Alice Holt 8th Feb 18, 5:35 PM
    • 1,945 Posts
    • 2,241 Thanks
    Alice Holt
    I understand an assessment means I will have to go to see a consultant ?.
    Originally posted by Mark4321
    You will have a medical assessment by ATOS / Maximus. Often done by a nurse / paramedic.

    They will assess you against the PIP activities and descriptors:

    It is best to complete the PIP2 as fully as possible explaining why you can't do relevant activities / descriptors reliably for the majority of the time, and supply compelling medical evidence.
    Never assume the DWP will help your claim by using your ESA claim info.
    • pmlindyloo
    • By pmlindyloo 8th Feb 18, 5:36 PM
    • 11,412 Posts
    • 13,295 Thanks
    You may wish to have a read of the PIP Assessment Guides.

    These explain the process and the criteria.

    The DWP do not conduct the assessments. Like ESA these are contracted out and your assessment is usually done by a health professional.

    You can use the same medical evidence as you did for your ESA but the decision is not made on your diagnosis, It is made on assessing you on how you can carry out certain activities in your daily life.

    You may wish to use your assessment report from the pension medical that you had as well as any other evidence that you have.

    It is always good to get advice/help completing the form from a professional - your local council may have a welfare advisor or you could try CAB or look up your 'condition' on goggle and see if there are any organisations that would support you with a PIP application.

    Some people are not called for a face to face assessment - you can have a paper based assessment particularly if you have strong medical evidence.
    • Mark4321
    • By Mark4321 8th Feb 18, 5:48 PM
    • 25 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Thank you very much for help.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,945Posts Today

8,550Users online

Martin's Twitter