Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • unifan
    • By unifan 21st Oct 17, 2:27 PM
    • 11Posts
    • 1Thanks
    unifan
    Lowell Financial Ltd???
    • 21st Oct 17, 2:27 PM
    Lowell Financial Ltd??? 21st Oct 17 at 2:27 PM
    Hi,
    Not sure if this is the best place to post this.

My husband has just received a letter from Lowell Financial Ltd out of the blue. We don't owe anybody anything, not in arrears with anything. The letter does not say what it's about and can't get them on the phone as yet. It says they're a company that buy debts but we don't have any, can't think what it's about. They just want my husband to contact them. It says that they've been checking with a credit reference agency, but we've checked and there is nothing on there either. We have no idea what it's about. We're always very careful.

I've read on here and BBC watchdog that this company don't exactly play by the rules.

Does anyone have any advice on how best to approach this? Is it best to email rather than phone?

Obviously we'll have to find out what it's about as the letter tells us nothing at all, but what do we do from there. We honestly can't think what it can be. Debt, loans, etc., are something we avoid. All utilities paid up to date.

It's really distressing already. We're both really ill and have more than enough already to cope with.

Any advice? Thanks.
Page 2
    • waamo
    • By waamo 9th Oct 18, 3:41 PM
    • 4,684 Posts
    • 6,070 Thanks
    waamo
    My best guess is that BG put the default on. They will have a name but no current contact details so up to now haven't been able to register a default debt.

Lowell have found someone who has, in essence, confessed to being the debtor and have recovered the debt from that person.

Armed with a name and current address they are now able to register a debt.

Sadly it is a situation of your own making.
    This space for hire.
    • societys child
    • By societys child 10th Oct 18, 1:08 PM
    • 5,511 Posts
    • 6,157 Thanks
    societys child
    But that someone said they didn't owe anything but decided to pay anyway.
    Originally posted by 25 Years On
    Yes, but it wasn't the OP was it!

It was the poster who resurrected this old thread that decided to pay. Try and keep up

• Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 10th Oct 18, 1:24 PM
    • 22,465 Posts
    • 12,019 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    Yes, but it wasn't the OP was it!
    Originally posted by societys child
    Basically, the user who resurrected the thread (JIMMYJAMS1511) has become the OP now and it's perfectly acceptable to refer to him by that acronym.

No one responding recently has confused the new with the old (so far). Society's Child.
    • Hermione Granger
    • By Hermione Granger 10th Oct 18, 1:55 PM
    • 921 Posts
    • 1,515 Thanks
    Hermione Granger
    Basically, the user who resurrected the thread (JIMMYJAMS1511) has become the OP now and it's perfectly acceptable to refer to him by that acronym.
    Originally posted by Moneyineptitude
    As OP refers to the original poster or original post, then jimmyams1511 can't be the OP, so no, I wouldn't say that it's perfectly acceptable to refer to them as such.

Whilst it might not be causing confusion at the moment, when you start referring to different posters as the OP on threads where there may be many pages of replies spread out over a period of time, then it could well cause confusion.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 10th Oct 18, 2:04 PM
    • 22,465 Posts
    • 12,019 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    As OP refers to the original poster or original post, then jimmyams1511 can't be the OP, so no, I wouldn't say that it's perfectly acceptable to refer to them as such.
    Originally posted by Hermione Granger
    To my mind, he's now the CURRENT OP.

The fact is that "Jimmyjams1511" (Or current "OP" ) should never have resurrected this old thread, but the number of times it happens suggests that many new users don't understand how to make a new thread and instead search for threads with a similar topic and add their own.

Closing such old threads is a possible solution, but it's massive undertaking and where do you draw the line?

Regardless, we are way off-topic now.
    • Gengiskhant
    • By Gengiskhant 24th Oct 18, 1:58 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Gengiskhant
    Do not pay them.
    I know this thread is old but if anyone is still reading/ worrying about this company. Don't. We have been receiving letters from a debt collector with my workplace addrress but with a name of someone that does not live or work here. I have been handing them back to the postman for months but today I accidentally opened one. Guess who the the debt collecors are after... Lowell Financial Limited... . They have been using a fake addrress to dodge their own debts. My guess is that they have gone bankrupt and are trying to avoid what they owe.

If anyone is still receiving letters from them contact arvato. They are the debt collectors that are chasing Lowell Financial Limited.
    • reason2
    • By reason2 24th Oct 18, 2:26 PM
    • 336 Posts
    • 374 Thanks
    reason2
    didnt notice the date*
    Last edited by reason2; 24-10-2018 at 2:28 PM.
    • Sea Shell
    • By Sea Shell 9th Nov 18, 11:35 AM
    • 1,010 Posts
    • 1,599 Thanks
    Sea Shell
    Just to resurrect this thread....I've just received one of these letters too. I don't owe anything to anyone...and am now worried by this. Any advise??
    " That pound I saved yesterday, is a pound I don't have to earn tomorrow "
    • waamo
    • By waamo 9th Nov 18, 12:06 PM
    • 4,684 Posts
    • 6,070 Thanks
    waamo
    Just to resurrect this thread....I've just received one of these letters too. I don't owe anything to anyone...and am now worried by this. Any advise??
    Originally posted by Sea Shell
    Write back denying the debt and tell them not to contact you again.
    This space for hire.
    • Sea Shell
    • By Sea Shell 9th Nov 18, 2:19 PM
    • 1,010 Posts
    • 1,599 Thanks
    Sea Shell
    That was my initial thought, but will that not just confirm that they've got the right person, at the right address?
    • waamo
    • By waamo 9th Nov 18, 3:16 PM
    • 4,684 Posts
    • 6,070 Thanks
    waamo
    That was my initial thought, but will that not just confirm that they've got the right person, at the right address?
    If it's not your debt how can it be the right person at the right address?
    This space for hire.
    • Sea Shell
    • By Sea Shell 9th Nov 18, 3:27 PM
    • 1,010 Posts
    • 1,599 Thanks
    Sea Shell
    Surely they'll then know I am Mrs SS, at the address they have. At the moment they just seem to be fishing for a response. No debt actually mentioned.

The letter is a "we've been passed your details.. please get in touch to discuss" type of thing.
    • D_M_E
    • By D_M_E 9th Nov 18, 4:11 PM
    • 1,966 Posts
    • 67,729 Thanks
    D_M_E
    Sea Shell - just ignore them, do not write, email or phone, ignore.

The time to respond is if they send you details of what they say you owe and/or what they are chasing you for and, at this point you send them a provit letter asking them to prove it is actually you who is the debtor.

Sample letter available here https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2607247

Also do not give them any of your data, such as date of birth, full name, etc etc
    • waamo
    • By waamo 9th Nov 18, 6:04 PM
    • 4,684 Posts
    • 6,070 Thanks
    waamo
    Surely they'll then know I am Mrs SS, at the address they have. At the moment they just seem to be fishing for a response. No debt actually mentioned.

The letter is a "we've been passed your details.. please get in touch to discuss" type of thing.
    They are fishing. They probably have been given a debt owed by someone with a similar name and/or date of birth or perhaps some other details.

They are fishing to see if you are the debtor or just someone shares some commonality.

It's up to you how you want to play it really but if it genuinely isn't you then you should be able to get them to erase any data they erroneously have about you.
    This space for hire.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

191Posts Today

1,523Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I've just heard about the 8 month pregnant woman shot through the stomach by a crossbow. Its both evil and medie? https://t.co/hQTOxWiXhj

• Major new guide... Brexit, what it means for you and your finances: M mortgages, savings, flights, consumer rights? https://t.co/SXCMG2qXwX

• Have you haggled on the high street in the last year? If so who with and did you succeed? Please vote in this week? https://t.co/fdzmmFfA4u

• Follow Martin