How do I know if my tooth is cracked?

Comments

• jenniewb wrote: »
    Be aware OP that fractures, especially hairline fractures are very difficult to pick up in an xray. They don't even show up on much bigger bones so easily- I had a tibial stress fracture (a hairline fracture in my lower leg) for 2 years. It was xrayed twice in those two years but I was given the all clear. It was painful initially enough to prevent me walking and I was told by a physio and eventually an orthopaedic consultant that it was more than likely the stress fracture began with the onset of the pain yet as I've said, on each occasion it was not picked up, not in an xray and not in an MRI either. It was only picked up by chance with a nuclear bone scan and they are a whole different ball game.

I've had a fracture in my tooth before. It hurt a lot and even without eating or drinking. It hurt when I moved my head and felt like a jagged pain in addition to the new sensitivity if I did try to eat/drink anything or breathe in cool air if that's any help. Pain killers helped (ibuprofen or NSAIDS or asprin, taken with paracetamol and codedine at night, I used to take one of either every 2 hours but never take NSAIDS alone with asprin- check with a medic though to ensure your OK to take any medication), it all seemed to help but didn't take it away. In addition to the localised pain it resulted in my having an almost constant headache and being unable to sleep, though possibly the headache was caused by the lack of sleep, I don't know!
    The tooth then became infected so I can't really say more than that because the pain became caused by something else but it did go away when the tooth was removed.

Even with that fracture the Dentists nor myself in this case were not able to see clearly enough on the xray that was taken much more than a blur of a dark line and were not able to see if it went down as far as the root or not. (Turns out it was that far down or at least became that far down possibly, by the time it was taken out).

But the thing that always sits in my mind is that if it's that difficult to see a hairline fracture in a leg bone which is pretty massive in comparison to most bones in the body, it makes sense that it's even harder to see in a tooth and I didn't just have an xray either. I had a few scans. It's not so much that they don't pick things up, it's that if the fracture is something as thin as a hairline fracture (still v.painful IME!) it's just difficult to tell. The only way around it seems to be to wait and see. Sorry this sounds like a really impossible thing to do when your in pain, but the only other option is to remove the tooth. Unlike other bones, teeth don't seem to repair.

My (non medical, tuppence worth) suggestion? Take pain killers to reduce the pain as much as you can, decide on a time to give it for your body to rectify to see if it could be something else- agree this with your Dentist and if when the time has passed you cannot be pain free or carry on without pain killers, I'd assume it's not going to repair by itself. Again, I am not a medic, this is just what I'd do if it were happening to me.

Many thanks.

Yes, you have raised an excellent point. It seems cracks in teeth and bone are really hard to pick up.

I have also had MRI scans, a CT scan and a cone beam CT scan.

I do take tramadol and have done so for many years. I have been told it could be trigeminal neuralgia but that is presumably because there is no evidence of a crack or infection (which is of course very difficult to rule out as you have suggested).

Tramadol causes some nasty side effects.

I imagine things are made more complicated by the fact that the tooth has a crown on it, which could also be masking part or all of the crack.

I do feel the pain is radiating to the top of my head which is why I suspect there may be something wrong with one or more of my teeth. It could also be the root canal treatment has failed and the infection is not showing up on x-rays. I understand this is possible too.

Another problem I face is if I were to speak to my dentist and ask them to extract the tooth, I suspect they will not accede to that request on the basis that that have a duty of care and the GMC could take action on their registration if extracting the tooth doesn't resolve the pain.
  • Toothsmith
    Toothsmith Posts: 10,074 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    It does look like you have been very well investigated for this problem - so it is highly unlikely that any suggestions made on here are going to be of much help to you.

Trigeminal neuralgia is really a diagnosis of elimination - when everything else has been looked into, then that is probably what it could be. I sometimes think that 'trigeminal neuralgia' is diagnosed a bit too easily, and more people are told they have it just because it's an easy way to dismiss pain.

BUT - it does look like you have been thoroughly investigated, and so that is probably the correct diagnosis.

I did have a patient a few months back who had brain-surgery to disconnect the nerve root that was thought to be causing the trouble. If teeth really have been eliminated as the cause, that might be an avenue worth looking into?
    How to find a dentist.
    1. Get recommendations from friends/family/neighbours/etc.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
    3. Assess the helpfulness of the staff and the level of the facilities.
    4. Only book initial appointment when you find a place you are happy with.
  • Toothsmith wrote: »
    It does look like you have been very well investigated for this problem - so it is highly unlikely that any suggestions made on here are going to be of much help to you.

Trigeminal neuralgia is really a diagnosis of elimination - when everything else has been looked into, then that is probably what it could be. I sometimes think that 'trigeminal neuralgia' is diagnosed a bit too easily, and more people are told they have it just because it's an easy way to dismiss pain.

BUT - it does look like you have been thoroughly investigated, and so that is probably the correct diagnosis.

I did have a patient a few months back who had brain-surgery to disconnect the nerve root that was thought to be causing the trouble. If teeth really have been eliminated as the cause, that might be an avenue worth looking into?

I'm not convinced my teeth have been excluded. I know infection and evidence of a crack does not always show up on an x-ray, even a cone beam CT scan. Indeed, no x-ray or test is 100% conclusive.

I agree in that the diagnosis of TN is handed out a bit too carelessly for my liking.

I'm not keen on anyone doing any brain surgery on me, especially if TN is not the cause.
  • I had a cracked tooth for several years that was making me jump through the roof each time I bit on it, then a fragment broke off just as I got to thinking of asking for it to be pulled out. The relief was instant, even before I had the break filled.
  • Toothsmith
    That's a very common story with cracked cusps.That's not quite what the OP is complaining of though.
    Although cracks & infections don't always show up on x-ray - over the longer term, a problem with a tooth should come to light as the area gets bigger, and so will then show up on x-ray.
    How to find a dentist.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
  • jack_pott wrote: »
    I had a cracked tooth for several years that was making me jump through the roof each time I bit on it, then a fragment broke off just as I got to thinking of asking for it to be pulled out. The relief was instant, even before I had the break filled.

Thanks.

I take it you went to your dentist with this issue and the crack didn't show up on an x-ray?

I don't have any pain when I bite.
    That's a very common story with cracked cusps.That's not quite what the OP is complaining of though.
    Although cracks & infections don't always show up on x-ray - over the longer term, a problem with a tooth should come to light as the area gets bigger, and so will then show up on x-ray.

Yeah, that is what I would have thought. My pain has been with me for at least 10 years.I suppose it could depend on the type of crack. If the crack is in the root of the tooth only would it eventually spread?
  • Toothsmith
    Yeah, that is what I would have thought. My pain has been with me for at least 10 years.I suppose it could depend on the type of crack. If the crack is in the root of the tooth only would it eventually spread?

Obviously, I can't see you and haven't examined you - but I would have thought so too.

If a tooth that had cracked 10 years ago didn't show any radiographic evidence (never mind CBCT evidence) of being cracked by now - then I would say it isn't cracked.
    How to find a dentist.
  • Toothsmith
    In all this time MrHeisenberg has anyone investigated the TMJ/tooth grinding/bruxism possibilities as the cause of your pain? I've assumed previously that they have?
    How to find a dentist.
    Obviously, I can't see you and haven't examined you - but I would have thought so too.

If a tooth that had cracked 10 years ago didn't show any radiographic evidence (never mind CBCT evidence) of being cracked by now - then I would say it isn't cracked.

Yeah, it does seem unlikely that it is cracked. I am going for another CBCT scan today though.

I suppose some evidence of an infection would have showed up by now too? That said, I did have a seriously infected tooth once (for quite a long time) and I was told by various dentists there was no infection.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure