Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Scarecrow25
    • By Scarecrow25 19th Oct 17, 12:57 PM
    • 7Posts
    • 49Thanks
    Scarecrow25
    Tesco Savings DDs
    • 19th Oct 17, 12:57 PM
    Tesco Savings DDs 19th Oct 17 at 12:57 PM
    I can't see that this has been picked up yet, and with my first post I really hate to be the breaker of bad news !
    However, last week I opened a new Tesco Internet saver and just got the paperwork through today. In it, was a booklet, 'Changes to our Tesco Bank Internet Saver & Instant Access T&Cs'
    Summary of key changes - I quote: 'We are making changes to the way in which you can fund your Account. In particular, as of 22 April 2018 you will not be able to fund your Account by way of Direct Debits. On this date all Direct Debits set up on your Account will be cancelled. No further Direct Debits can be set up from this date.'

I know many use Tesco DDs to meet terms for interest on current accounts, at least we've a few months to come up with a new plan...
Page 41
    • whiggy2016
    • By whiggy2016 16th May 18, 8:43 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    whiggy2016
    Fraud
    Has anyone here thought about the legality of what we're doing here?

I mean, technically, yes, they are direct debits set up on our own accounts with our own details using our own money, but would the law look at them as genuine?

If anyone here who knows about this can put my mind at rest I'd appreciate it
    • beefturnmail
    • By beefturnmail 16th May 18, 9:21 PM
    • 694 Posts
    • 222 Thanks
    beefturnmail
    Fraud requires deception. Who is being deceived and how?
    • masonic
    • By masonic 16th May 18, 9:43 PM
    • 9,207 Posts
    • 6,341 Thanks
    masonic
    Has anyone here thought about the legality of what we're doing here?

I mean, technically, yes, they are direct debits set up on our own accounts with our own details using our own money, but would the law look at them as genuine?

If anyone here who knows about this can put my mind at rest I'd appreciate it
    Originally posted by whiggy2016
    There are no terms stating that the purpose of the direct debits must be to pay for goods and services and no legal definition stating that direct debits are not "genuine" if the ultimate beneficiary owns the source bank account.

Banks carefully word their T&Cs, which are unilateral - we don't get to negotiate them. It is therefore not unlawful or IMHO immoral if we exercise whatever freedoms those terms permit. Banks even get the opportunity to vary the terms (again unilaterally) if they want to stop certain things from happening.
    Last edited by masonic; 16-05-2018 at 9:46 PM.
    • surreysaver
    • By surreysaver 16th May 18, 11:48 PM
    • 2,456 Posts
    • 1,370 Thanks
    surreysaver
    Anyone else have a plan B for when the inevitable occurs with the PO?
    Originally posted by veryintrigued
    Well, the interest rates of BoS and Lloyds goes down to 1.5% in July, so my Plan B is to stop playing the game!
    I consider myself to be a male feminist. Is that allowed?
    • Mchambers
    • By Mchambers 17th May 18, 3:05 PM
    • 875 Posts
    • 264 Thanks
    Mchambers
    Well, the interest rates of BoS and Lloyds goes down to 1.5% in July, so my Plan B is to stop playing the game!
    Originally posted by surreysaver
    Don't stop. I have opened 3 PO Online Saver accounts. I have seen someone say they have got 6 Post Office Accounts. Not sure if there is a maximum you can open. Very easy to create dds.

I will be switching my N/iwide account (with 2 PO dds) to get the Barclays Reward bonus).
    • polymaff
    • By polymaff 17th May 18, 5:50 PM
    • 2,082 Posts
    • 907 Thanks
    polymaff
    Originally posted by surreysaver
    Don't stop.
    Originally posted by Mchambers
    So when will YOU stop? The Bos / Lloyds premium over a currently-available easy access account will be only 1.80 per 1,000 invested, per annum. Less if you pay tax

I can see surreysaver's point.
    • surreysaver
    • By surreysaver 17th May 18, 11:30 PM
    • 2,456 Posts
    • 1,370 Thanks
    surreysaver
    Don't stop. I have opened 3 PO Online Saver accounts. I have seen someone say they have got 6 Post Office Accounts. Not sure if there is a maximum you can open. Very easy to create dds.

I will be switching my N/iwide account (with 2 PO dds) to get the Barclays Reward bonus).
    Originally posted by Mchambers
    Well, I've got 10 - 3 issue 26, 2 issue 30, 1 24, 25, 27, 28 and 29. But my offset mortgage is 0.75% above the BoE base rate, so the next rate rise will put my mortgage at equal with these accounts - but as any savings offset against my mortgage won't be taxable, then that means I won't be any better off having these accounts, save for access to regular savers or other benefits (such as the Lloyds cinema tickets)
    I consider myself to be a male feminist. Is that allowed?
    • Kernel Sanders
    • By Kernel Sanders 18th May 18, 5:11 PM
    • 3,278 Posts
    • 1,336 Thanks
    Kernel Sanders
    So when will YOU stop? The Bos / Lloyds premium over a currently-available easy access account will be only 1.80 per 1,000 invested, per annum. Less if you pay tax
    Originally posted by polymaff
    So those even with only one monthly 1 DD going out to a charity will actually be getting less on a full 5000 balance!
    would the law look at them as genuine?
    Originally posted by whiggy2016
    'The Law' isn't interested even in minor criminality in some areas now, so it certainly won't have any interest in this! Can you seriously imagine anyone being hauled up in front of The Beak for having too many trivial DDs?
    Last edited by Kernel Sanders; 18-05-2018 at 9:07 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4Posts Today

4,001Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin