Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • lonelyrat
    • By lonelyrat 18th Oct 17, 7:48 PM
    • 272Posts
    • 668Thanks
    lonelyrat
    LonelyRat's (not so lonely) Road to Riches
    • 18th Oct 17, 7:48 PM
    LonelyRat's (not so lonely) Road to Riches 18th Oct 17 at 7:48 PM
    Hello everyone I have been posting for a few months now over on the general Debt Free Wannabe board but have decided what I'm wanting to do seems more like a Debt Free Diary, so here I am!

I started trying to tackle my situation in June with around £7,500 of debt and no clue what to do about it. I made a basic, confused, sort of plan to tackle it and got cracking... I managed to make a tiny dent but wasn't doing particularly much and still felt completely overwhelmed. One night, after a few (read: many) wines, a desperate internet search for "help, debt" brought me here. I began reading through other people's threads and started to get a better idea of what I should be doing (hello snowballing - how had I not heard of you?!). In August I got the balls together to post my first thread. I got some good advice, began to feel more motivated and focused and, above all, started to feel like there was light at the end of the tunnel

There are a number of reasons why I want to start this diary. Most importantly I feel like it will help me be more accountable for my actions. I've made a series of poor decisions which have led me to the money mess I'm in now. I need to unlearn bad habits and by writing everything down and checking in a few times a week I'm hoping to start reprogramming myself.

Some general info about me and my life:
    I have just turned 27 *shudder* and am partnered up with OH. We have been together a few years and live together with his parents in Bonny Scotland. A few months ago as we used to rent a flat together but really couldn't afford it so we've moved in with his parents to reduce outgoings and get this debt busted with the ultimate aim of saving towards a deposit (something that seemed completely unattainable even just a few months ago). I work in a dead end customer service role at a bank and he is a student who is currently in his last year of study (hallelujah)!

Hobbies for me include drinking wine, but I am attempting to cut this down and have gone sober for October. Hopefully I can carry it on indefinitely!

I got paid yesterday so money has been allocated to where it needs to go and here are my most up to date balances:

Current Debt / Debt at first DFW post

Overdraft 1 £950 / £1950
    Overdraft 2 £83 / £450
    Loan £472.29 / £770
    Santander CC £2744.45 / £2770.90
    Very BNPL £263.98 / £288.98
    Capital One (1) £0 / £404.25
    Capital One (2) £0 / £179
    Barclaycard £0 / £390

Total Debt £4513.72 / 7203.13

If anyone is interested in my short journey so far it can be found here: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5690629#topofpage
    Last edited by lonelyrat; 01-05-2018 at 9:19 AM. Reason: Edited to make less lengthy
    Total Debt: 1125 / 7266.93
    Outstanding Debt: Santander CC 450 - Virgin CC 675
    Weight Loss: 7.1kg/ 38kg
Page 7
    • lonelyrat
    • By lonelyrat 2nd Mar 18, 9:13 PM
    • 272 Posts
    • 668 Thanks
    lonelyrat
    Yeah Rachel24 I think I definitely will be. It's not too bad... As long as I still do have a holiday at some point I'm happy enough. Will check dates when I'm back in work and see what I can get off. It is definitely a shame not being able to go but at the same time we may have just ended up confined to the hotel room which wouldn't have been great. By not going yesterday we did end up saving £40 which we were going to spend on a taxi there (with public transport being cancelled) so that's good I guess. It wasn't a planned spend so would have had to come out of the spending money for the trip which wouldn't have been ideal.

Hi Silver Queen - yeah, bang in the middle of the red zone! Ideally we do end up get a refund for the accommodation but if we don't then I will definitely reschedule with them. I was down in the dumps about it yesterday but it's actually OK. Going later in the year will minimise any guilty feelings I had about going on holiday while being a debt free wannabe anyway. Once we've heard back from the insurance and spoken to the hotel I will know where we stand a bit more so can take some action.

Done absolutely nothing today Stayed in bed with OH and the remaining rats watching TV and it has been lovely. There's something really nice about being tucked up in bed all warm and watching the cold weather outside. Makes me feel guilty though as I know there's people out there who aren't as lucky as me. I genuinely can't even imagine what it must have been like being homeless the last few days. I currently don't give to any organised charities, sometimes if I do have change I'll give some to people in town but I don't feel like I do do enough. When I don't have debt to pay down I think I will allocate some money a month to 'charity'. Not necessarily organised charity but some kind of giving.

We didn't end up getting the wine yesterday so walked to the shops today and got some. I do love walking around in the snow but it was quite slippy today and I am prone to taking a tumble so it was a treacherous journey!

Plans for tomorrow are to take the dog a snowy walk and unpack the suitcase as I have yet to do it. Will take tomorrow off work but will go back in on Sunday if the trains are running.

Starting to get itchy for payday... It always happens as soon as the new calendar month begins. I can do about 2 weeks with what I budget myself then the remaining two are a struggle. Should be paid early this month again with the way the days fall so looking at the 16th. Not too long to go Excited for this months wage as well as I have my bonus coming to me plus some overtime and also a slight wage rise (to the tune of £40 - £50 a month Not a huge rise but still better than a kick in the teeth).

106 days
    • lonelyrat
    • By lonelyrat 3rd Mar 18, 5:29 PM
    • 272 Posts
    • 668 Thanks
    lonelyrat
    Just checked and the flights have been refunded. Now just waiting on the bus tickets but have had confirmation from CityLink that refund will be issued within 7 working days. Will keep my eyes peeled

Feeling very positive on the debt busting front today. I think being off work just has me in a good mood in general Less than two weeks to payday Plan is to do £650 to the Santander card to bring it down to £1000. May be a tad bit ambitious and as always I'm not sure how much I will end up getting paid. But I think it's an amount I should (hopefully) comfortably manage. As ever things are open to change once I see my payslip.

Still snowing here - I actually feel like it's never going to end. Will be venturing out for a walk once OH gets his bum in gear.

105 days
    Last edited by lonelyrat; 03-03-2018 at 5:35 PM.
    • Poor_Single_lady
    • By Poor_Single_lady 3rd Mar 18, 10:41 PM
    • 1,388 Posts
    • 5,366 Thanks
    Poor_Single_lady
    Hello. I have been reading your diary recently. Mostly lurking. Hope you are getting on ok. Not sure where you are based or if it would be a bit soon for you and they may have rehomed them already.

But somebody in Leicester abandoned 4 rats at 2 months old in a box in and RSPCA are looking for new home and to rehouse them all together.

They say they are quite timid and looking for a nice home. There was an article on the internet but I can't paste the link.

Not very mse friendly tho sorry if I'm s bad influence! xx
    2017- 5 credit cards plus loan
    Overdraft And 1 credit card paid off.

2018 plans - reduce debt
    • Silver Queen
    • By Silver Queen 4th Mar 18, 7:59 AM
    • 376 Posts
    • 1,762 Thanks
    Silver Queen
    Itís so nice to have the time off even if you arenít going away! And on the plus side, youíre going to be so far ahead on the debt busting front!
    Debt Totals May 2018::
    £350 Natwest Credit Card / Now £0 (paid off and closed 04/2017) £15,500 postgrad loan from parents/ Now £10,250 £500 train ticket loan from parents / Now £0 (paid off 16/02/18) £2,000 Overdraft Now £0 (paid off 09/03/18)
    • lonelyrat
    • By lonelyrat 4th Mar 18, 9:42 PM
    • 272 Posts
    • 668 Thanks
    lonelyrat
    Hey PSL... Hope my ramblings haven't been too boring! I'm such a lurker as well. I do pop up every now and again on other threads but it isn't that regular. I'm just a creep by nature it seems Thanks for the tip about the ratties. Unfortunately we won't be taking in anymore. It's just too hard mentally to say goodbye and it's easy to try and fill the hole that they leave with new babies... But then you just have to go through it all over again. We've decided that these two boys are our last Which is a shame as they are just such lovely pets... But mentally I don't think I can take any more losses!

Yeah Silver Queen I am very much enjoying being off! Had thought about going back in today but woke up and promptly changed my mind! I've also decided I'll take one more day and won't go back until Tuesday. I'm working the upcoming bank holidays (double time and a half ) and will get days back in lieu so think I can stretch my annual leave and still have tomorrow off. I really don't want to go back!

Done zip all today. Changed the bed and gave the room a bit of a tidy but that's about it Have not unpacked the suitcase still. That will now be a task for tomorrow. Plans for tonight are to watch Netflix with the ratties and maybe OH if he runs out of steam playing video games. We've been together three years today and we marked the occasion by taking a romantic walk to Tesco to see if they had any bread

104 days
    • lonelyrat
    • By lonelyrat 8th Mar 18, 9:07 PM
    • 272 Posts
    • 668 Thanks
    lonelyrat
    Am feeling generally very boring and poor at the moment. Have 61p left in my Monzo (that'll buy me loads ) and just over £12 in change in my purse.

OH got his student finance yesterday so today we went to Asda after I finished work and he got his food for a week and a half (I have so much food in the fridge/ freezer so I didn't need to get anything). The plan was to do it for £25 but he didn't manage that and spent £35 instead He didn't meal plan before going and I think that's where it all went a bit wrong... I'm going to have a look at the receipt and see what the most expensive things were and see how to combat that for next time. I feel relaxed knowing we don't need to do a food shop in a while and knowing he's sorted AND it's a lot less than he would normally spend after getting his finance. Baby steps, baby steps.

OH got a letter through today from one of his Credit Card providers (one he paid off in Jan) telling him they're upping his limit by £350 due to the way he manages his card This will not be happening. There's a line at the end about 'responsible lending' which really ground my gears.

Applied for a new role at my work today. Bit of a spur of the moment decision.... Someone on my team mentioned it to me so we've both gone for it! Should hear back within 2 weeks whether or not I'll be considered. It's still a low/ entry level job but there would be a pay rise and I'd be dealing with corporate customers rather than regular customers which could be an interesting change of pace. It would be full time again but the hours would be a lot better than my current role at FT. Finishing no later than 5.30 and Monday - Friday which would be lovely. Not going to get my hopes up too much but still feeling proud of myself fo applying. Would actually be really, really nice to go back to getting paid a decent amount again

Today is 100 days till I'm debt free and it feels good Will feel even better being under 100. Got a week (or a week and a day - unsure) until payday and then i'll make some payments. Very excited to get the Santander card to £1000.

No plans for this evening. OH currently working on his dissertation (FINALLY) and I'm just faffing around watching TV. Just done my first survey on Prolific in a while - a whopping 40p.
    • lonelyrat
    • By lonelyrat 9th Mar 18, 2:43 PM
    • 272 Posts
    • 668 Thanks
    lonelyrat
    99 days jjdhfdjfh dhfhdjfdhfd jdfjjdjfdj
    • lonelyrat
    • By lonelyrat 10th Mar 18, 10:44 PM
    • 272 Posts
    • 668 Thanks
    lonelyrat
    Not an NSD - went to Tesco and got OH's mum some chocolates and card and was going to get her flowers too but saw a lovely orchid for £8 which was just actually cheaper than the flowers I liked (I'm a flower snob ) so got that instead. An orchid will last longer than flowers so really an MSE decision? Probably not. We did half in so not too bad.
    OH abandoned me in the card aisle... He just said "you're dealing with this" and wandered off I was less than impressed! But he did buy some wine so all was forgiven Currently watching TV with a (large) glass and lurking on diaries. Off work tomorrow so I can justify it, kind of?

Getting very excited for pay day - less than a week now Not had any notification about bonus amount which is strange. Last bonus was September and I'm sure I found out about 2 or 3 weeks before payday how much I was due.

I also had a look on an external job site for the role I've applied for (as the internal site doesn't specify salary) and it actually seems to pay £400 less than my role at full time. I'm not sure if that's a mistake (hopefully) on the external site or not as I'm sure Corporate used to earn more than Retail. Am confused... I would still go for it even if it did pay less as I would like to go full time again if the hours were more suitable. I need to stop thinking about it as I seem to be getting ahead of myself! I won't hear back for weeks about the application and even then I probably won't be successful. Reign it in Lonely.

Debt busting wise I think I'm going to join the Payment A Day challenge. Currently I round down my balance after making card payments (as I'm obsessive about numbers looking right) and pay into a savings account but I do then end up taking the money out and using it. What I'll do instead is round down to a, pleasing, balance and pay it to the Santander card. I'm not going to join until I get paid next week as currently I don't have any money to make payments.... So would be off to a rather shocking start!

Very excited for payments this month... It will be the end of the dreaded RBS Loan. It's been a year and a half of £102.81 and nothing to show for it apart from a Sofa which is currently getting damp in the shed I cannot wait to be free of it. Having an extra £100 a month will make a really big difference to getting the rest of the debt paid down. Especially if, worst case scenario, I don't get the new job so stay part time and can't pick up overtime. Gotta make my £750 a month work harder!

98 days , almost 97
    • lonelyrat
    • By lonelyrat 12th Mar 18, 10:44 PM
    • 272 Posts
    • 668 Thanks
    lonelyrat
    Asked my line manager about bonus today and he emailed me my figure - £522 and some pennies. Not too bad. I got slightly more the last few times with the same performance rating but that was before I went part time. I should also have about £80 - 90 of overtime as well so this month is looking like it will be nice and healthy. I did do some working out and it looks like I'll maybe be just over £1100... Which used to be what I earned every month I miss having that much money. Still keeping my fingers and toes crossed about the new role.

Excited to join the payment a day challenge once payday rolls around... I've actually started it a wee bit (just with pennies) to get into the swing of it. I'm finding looking at the Santander card balance and it not being in multiples of 5 quite stressful though. Need to just push past it. £1647.5 is better than £1650.

Been feeling pretty sick today... Nausea and weird tummy cramps all day at work so got in bed when I got home and haven't left it really. OH ordered an Indian for dinner which was lovely but didn't do much to help my poor, crampy tummy. Will I ever learn? The diet is now well and truly screwed... I boiled chicken myself but did have rice and sauce from the Indian .... probably the least healthy bit

Need to try really, really hard to shift some weight so going to go hard with it as of tomorrow (always as of tomorrow ). I'm going to see my Dad in England in mid April and he always comments on my weight and I want for once for him not to have anything bad to say. Or at least less bad than usual.

Off work tomorrow and have no plans currently. I am so, so boring. Might take the dog to the Lochs again but all depends on how much dissertation OH gets done. It's due in April and he's hardly done anything. I'm actually getting so stressed out.... Purely because I remember what it was like when I was doing mine and it's bringing back all these anxious memories. He's just quite far behind where he should be at this point. He's still only on his introduction chapter

We've banned computer games until it's all finished so hopefully a few weeks without playing with his friends and he'll be feeling very motivated to get it done.

96 days until I'm debt free and only 4 days until payday (I think).
    • lonelyrat
    • By lonelyrat 13th Mar 18, 2:45 AM
    • 272 Posts
    • 668 Thanks
    lonelyrat
    95 days. Although the very, very early hours of.

Suddenly full of beans when I've been feeling exhausted all day. Not sure what's happened there but am not enjoying it Going to put some Netflix on and turn the lights off and see what happens. Wish me luck
    • lonelyrat
    • By lonelyrat 13th Mar 18, 12:58 PM
    • 272 Posts
    • 668 Thanks
    lonelyrat
    Didn't end up falling asleep until about 4. I just had so much energy, literally no idea where it came from Woke up at 10 which isn't too bad considering. Determined to have a productive day and an early night as back in work tomorrow.

Today
    1. Insurance
    - Print claim form
    - Contact Easyjet for confirmation no other flight was available
    - Query excess (policy said £0 but they're now saying £75? No idea why. I do not understand insurance).
    2. Message friend from University to meet up
    3. Add upcoming shifts to calendar
    4. Re-organise wardrobe/ chest of drawers as is (once again) a mess
    5. Hoover
    6. Shower (+ dry and straighten hair)
    7. Call resourcing (missed a call from them earlier today and am now scared to call back).

Made a little payment to my Santander card today and also put 2p into a savings 'pot' with Monzo. Am going to be trying to get a savings habit started. Yesterday was 1p, today 2p, tomorrow 3p etc. It's not a lot but am hoping I will get into the swing of saving regularly. Now I can see the light at the end of the tunnel with the debt busting I wan't to start getting into the mindset of saving. BUT I also don't want to get ahead of myself... I found myself doing a 'future savings' tab on my Excel and it was easy to get carried away. I can't wait until my money is my money again though. Ashamedly that hasn't been the case since I started University. I think there was one summer when I was working in a bar and making quite a lot so ended up paying off my student overdraft but I'm sure as soon as Uni started again I was back in it. It will feel good knowing I literally don't owe anyone anything.

Today will not be an NSD... Going to walk up to Aldi and get some fizzy water and squash. Trying to cut out the coke and find fizzy squash is a good alternative. I have a few £ change left in my purse so will just be using that. Good thing too as I am so, so very low on money. I usually like to leave a buffer in my direct debit account of about £25. I do technically have an overdraft on that account but haven't ever been in it so don't count it. With the small payments I've been making the buffer has been depleted to only a few pounds which is making me a bit nervous!
    • lonelyrat
    • By lonelyrat 13th Mar 18, 1:29 PM
    • 272 Posts
    • 668 Thanks
    lonelyrat
    Today
    1. Insurance
    - Print claim form
    - Contact Easyjet for confirmation no other flight was available
    Spoke to someone on their online chat who advised me to fill out a contact us form. So have done that... Can take 21 days to get a response

- Query excess
    Have emailed back and also mentioned I am waiting to hear back from Easyjet.
    2. Message friend from University to meet up
    3. Add upcoming shifts to calendar
    4. Re-organise wardrobe/ chest of drawers as is (once again) a mess
    5. Hoover
    6. Shower (+ dry and straighten hair)
    7. Call resourcing (missed a call from them earlier today and am now scared to call back).

Also messaged an old work colleague on FB - she moved to corporate a few months ago so have asked her how she's finding it.
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 13th Mar 18, 3:59 PM
    • 1,682 Posts
    • 10,102 Thanks
    redofromstart
    ooh nice bonus, and make that phone call back to resourcing.
    • enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 13th Mar 18, 5:46 PM
    • 6,401 Posts
    • 13,164 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    95 days until you are debt free is wonderful. That means hopefully you can enjoy a guilt free holiday in Copenhagen with no snow. Sorry about your lady rats . Are they like hamsters and only live for a few years?
    Debt free and mortgage free and early retiree. Living the dream

I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Mortgages and Endowments, Banking and Budgeting boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • lonelyrat
    • By lonelyrat 14th Mar 18, 3:36 PM
    • 272 Posts
    • 668 Thanks
    lonelyrat
    Hello redofromstart! You'll be happy to know I did call resourcing back Not until today as I was far too nervous yesterday, but I did do it! Had a chat with a lovely lady about the role and have a telephone interview scheduled for tomorrow. It will be with the lady I spoke to today so I feel quite comfortable about it. Just need to try and think what sort of competency questions I'll be asked and try and draft some answers and prep tomorrow.

Last telephone interview I had there hadn't been any conversation prior to it (just an email exchange) and I feel like having that introduction conversation today has made me feel more relaxed. I can get in my own head a lot and often worry about things unnecessarily. Hopefully I can continue to feel calm about it and fake some confidence tomorrow

Enthusiasticsaver - I know! I feel like it's getting very, very close... Am very excited to be getting there. It's been ups and downs and I have felt like it's a never ending worry sometimes but soon all my balances will be zero and i'm sure it will feel fantastic. Then the next goal will be to start saving (enthusiastically ) for a deposit.

With regards to holiday it's all up in the air with insurance but hopefully it should get sorted soon enough. I think the plan will be to go away for a long weekend in August. Both OH and I will be debt free, but only newly so. So we will still need to watch spends etc. but will be very nice to go away and not have the guilt of everything clouding the experience.

My poor ladyrats! I miss them terribly. It's so hard when pets die... They bring such joy when they're around and such sadness when they pass. Rats do live a really short time, on average about 2 - 3 years so the ladies did do well. It was so hard making the decision to have them PTS, even though I do know it was the kindest thing it still feels crummy. They were little fluffy family members.

We just have two boys left. One of them is almost three and the other is 2 and a quarter. I've recently 'downsized' their cage so now they live in a bungalow (as they're both starting to struggle climbing). Neither of them are very impressed with me though

94 days
    Last edited by lonelyrat; 14-03-2018 at 3:39 PM.
    • dustydigger
    • By dustydigger 14th Mar 18, 7:56 PM
    • 303 Posts
    • 1,285 Thanks
    dustydigger
    Woo-hoo,94 days. You're getting there. Good to hear about the bonus,it'll be so useful

SPC 2018 # 012 -
    £2 Savers 2018 #19 £90 Tesco Xmas Savers £17.29
    House & Home Fund 2018 - £172 (plus £174 from 2017 = £346)
    SW loss - 4 stone
    / AF May 21/24 Books read 10/14 Prolific £2.56
    30mins Walks (Body Magic) 8/12

• lonelyrat
    • By lonelyrat 14th Mar 18, 8:58 PM
    • 272 Posts
    • 668 Thanks
    lonelyrat
    I know Dusty! Very excited... I do like having a job where I get a bonus, even if its just a small one compared to other peoples. Will be going mostly to the Santander card. Very much looking forward to that balance being under £1000. Seems far more manageable if it's a 3 figure number rather than a 4 figure!

Was supposed to be prepping for the interview but instead I had a nap... So that's a great start! Have now done some digging online and found questions that are likely to be asked (motivational and competency based). Plan for the evening now is to put a film on and try and brainstorm some answers. I want to feel 100% prepared for tomorrow. No excuses!
    • lonelyrat
    • By lonelyrat 16th Mar 18, 8:13 PM
    • 272 Posts
    • 668 Thanks
    lonelyrat
    It's been a mixed bag the last two days.

Positives
    - Payday - £1173.77
    - Received cashback and interest to the tune of £3.02
    - Overtime offered at work so have applied for 15 hours next week. I also have a bank holiday shift of 7 hours on April the 2nd so should have a decent April wage to look forward to.
    - Made payments to the Santander card and to Very. Have transferred my FINAL loan instalment to RBS ready for the dd. Have left the other dd money sitting in the 123 account ready to go.
    - Had my interview today and it went well. She was very lovely and friendly and said she was "more than happy" to progress me to the assessment centre. So that will be at some point during the week of the 26th. It will involve (more) competency based questions, a maths assessment and another test to see if you can spell/ use correct grammar.

Feeling proud of myself for getting the gumption together to go for it. It is the same pay as what I'm on now but I would be full time again. So probably about £1200 a month which would be a very welcome change. Hours are far, far better than my current role (at full time). Would never be working past 5.30 which would be great. Still don't want to get ahead of myself but feeling quietly positive about it. Was a complete bundle of nerves beforehand. I really am my own worst enemy

Negatives
    - Tomorrow would be my parents 38th wedding anniversary if my mum was still alive. Feeling emotional for my dad (and selfishly for myself too). I know he is going to be finding the next few days tough and I wish I could be there for him more than I am.
    - Yesterday I woke up with loud shuffling nosies coming from the boys cage. I went to investigate and my poor baby Samwise was struggling to breathe and looked like he was having a fit. We immediately called the vet and took him in and they said his back leg paralysis (something that's come on in the last few weeks) was spreading up to his diaphragm and he was struggling to breath and in distress. He took one look at him and said he needed to be put to sleep. It was the worst shock. With the ladies I had been prepared... Things did come on fast but we had a few months to get our head round what was happening and knew the time was coming. With this it was just completely out of the blue. I completely broke down in the vet. I was hyperventilating and couldn't stop crying and was just generally a mess. It was awful saying goodbye to him. I knew it had to happen but I think I was just in shock and didn't understand what was happening.

After he was put to sleep we took him home and took him into the fields/ woods near where we live. There's a tree on it's own in a field where we've buried all the other rats so he got to join them and we planted some daffodils with him.

Sam was our first rat and I had a special bond with him. We used to nap together when he was a baby and he would sit in my lap every night in bed. It hurts my heart that he's gone.

Now we're just down to one rat and I feel very guilty. They shouldn't live on their own as they're very social creatures and can get depressed but I genuinely can't take any more deaths. It's just too much. I actually feel like at the moment I can't catch a break a bit. The plan is to shower him with as much love as possible and hope he doesn't get too sad. Unsure if we should move him back into his double story cage as the only reason they had downsized was due to Sams back legs going funny. Will need to have a think.

Trying not to feel too guilty/sad this evening. I am off work tomorrow and have celebrated payday finally arriving with a bottle of cheap Cava from Tesco and some crackers and cheese. Am going to have a chilled evening watching a film with my bottle and snacks while OH works on a presentation for Uni. No plans for tomorrow. Might do some laundry but that's about it.

Santander CC £1100 / £2770.90
    Virgin CC £725 / £700
    RBS Loan £0 / £770 !!!!
    Very BNPL £50 / £288.98

Total Debt £1875 / 7203.13

Now my RBS loan is almost paid I keep getting messages popping up on the app with "offers" to try and entice me into taking another one out or up my overdraft by £450. No chance

I had wanted to pay off more of the Santander card and get it down to £1000 or under but I don't want to overcommit myself. I've spent £100 on flights to see my dad for his birthday in April which I actually hadn't budgeted for It will be money well spent though as I haven't seen him since Christmas and am missing him. We shall see where I stand with money this month. If I can afford to make extra payments to the card then I will do.

92 days
    Last edited by lonelyrat; 17-03-2018 at 7:34 PM.
    • lonelyrat
    • By lonelyrat 18th Mar 18, 8:32 PM
    • 272 Posts
    • 668 Thanks
    lonelyrat
    Feeling a bit bleugh today. Think it may be some kind of post pay day slump. The excitement of making payments has worn off and I'm faced with the stark realisation that I once again have no money. I think I say it every month BUT it's going to be a tight month I think I'm a bit disappointed I didn't get the Santander card down to £1000. I just don't think I can find another £100 without stretching myself too thin.

Day off on Tuesday so I may see if I can find anything to sell to make some cash. I think I got rid of everything when I first started trying to sort the debt.... Will still have a nosey in the shed and see if anything crops up.

So much overtime this week. Feeling good about it money-wise but can already feel the tiredness and grumpiness. Just praying for some nice, happy customers. I did not have nice, happy customers today. That may also have an impact on why I feel like such a negative Nancy now I think about it.

90 days
    Last edited by lonelyrat; 19-03-2018 at 6:27 PM.
    • Rachel24
    • By Rachel24 18th Mar 18, 9:06 PM
    • 160 Posts
    • 558 Thanks
    Rachel24
    Lonely rat I don't know what job you're in but I can definitely sympathise. I'm on the phones tomorrow and I'm already dreading the horrible customers. Chin up and just think 90 days you will be debt free and the overtime will have been worth it! Xx
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,356Posts Today

7,669Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin