Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • lonelyrat
    • By lonelyrat 18th Oct 17, 7:48 PM
    • 183Posts
    • 525Thanks
    lonelyrat
    LonelyRat's (not so lonely) Road to Riches
    • 18th Oct 17, 7:48 PM
    LonelyRat's (not so lonely) Road to Riches 18th Oct 17 at 7:48 PM
    Hello everyone I have been posting sporadically for a few months now over on the general Debt Free Wannabe board but have decided what Iím wanting to do seems more like a Debt Free DiaryÖ so here I am!

I originally began trying to tackle my situation in June with just under £7,500 of debt and no clue what to do about it. I made a basic, confused, sort of plan to get cracking. I managed to make a tiny dent but wasnít doing particularly much and still felt completely overwhelmed. One night, after a few (read: many) wines, a desperate internet search for ďhelp, debt!Ē brought me here. I began reading through other peopleís threads and started to get a better idea of what I should be doing (hello snowballing - how had I not heard of you?!). In August I got the balls together to post my first thread. I got some good advice, began to feel more motivated and focused and, above all, started to feel like there was light at the end of the tunnel

There are a number of reasons why I want to start this diary. Most importantly I feel like it will help me be more accountable for my actions. Iíve made a series of poor decisions which have led me to the money mess Iím in now. I need to unlearn bad habits and by writing everything down and checking in a few times a week Iím hoping to start reprogramming myself. I also like the sense of camaraderie thatís present on these boards. People generally really do care and want to help which is lovely. I am very much a lurker at present but I want to contribute more and if my muddled, messy journey can inspire anyone to start tackling their own debt monster than thatís damn brilliant.

Some general info about me and my life:
    I have just turned 27 *shudder* and am partnered up with Mr. LonelyRat. We have been together a few years and live together with his parents in Bonny Scotland. This is a recent change as of a few months ago as we used to rent a flat together but really couldnít afford it. Weíve moved in with his parents to reduce outgoings and get this debt busted so we can start saving towards a deposit (something that seemed completely unattainable even just a few months ago). I work in a dead end customer service role at a bank and he is a student who is currently in his last year of study (hallelujah)!

Hobbies for me mostly used to include drinking wine however this has recently changed as well as Iím going sober for October - something I thought would not be manageable but somehow is actually going OK. Iím planning on stretching this over November as well and ideally just keeping going for the foreseeable future. I noticed there was a reducing/ giving up booze thread so I plan on trying to get involved in that as well at some point soon. Cutting out the wine is having a positive effect on my spending and my mental health as well. Now if only I could start cutting down the junk food as well!

I got paid yesterday so money has been allocated to where it needs to go and here are my most up to date balances:

Current Debt / Debt at first DFW post

Overdraft 1 £950 / £1950
    Overdraft 2 £83 / £450 (this was at £0 however there has been a setback. Next month - next month!)
    Loan £472.29 / £770
    Santander CC £2744.45 / £2770.90
    Very BNPL £263.98 / £288.98
    Capital One (1) £0 / £404.25
    Capital One (2) £0 / £179
    Barclaycard £0 / £390

Total Debt £4513.72 / 7203.13

- OD 1 is my student overdraft which Iíve somehow not managed to pay off yet. Itís charging works as such: Overdrawn £1000 - £2000 is charged at 9.9%, £0 - £1000 is free. In December the whole lot will change to being 19.9% with an OD usage fee of £6.00. The plan is currently to chuck all my debt money at this to reduce it by December.

- OD 2 is 19.89% - it had been all paid off this month but there was a bit of drama/ a set back and I had to use it to pay for something. It has taught me the importance of an emergency fund and this is now being budgeted for going forward. Mr. LonelyRat has said he will give me the £83.00 next time he gets a student loan payment which is very nice of him.

- The loan is something I try not to think about. Classic debt consolidation gone wrongÖ Never again! It doesn't allow over payments so I pay £102.81 a month and try just to forget about it.

- The Santander CC is interest free until September next year so is currently receiving a £25 payment plus £89.50 for my monthly rail ticket - doing this means I get enough cashback to cover the monthly fee. Iím quite happy keeping that ticking along until I manage to get everything else sorted.

- The Very is BNPL until May next year. I have a note of the date and it will be paid by December/ January anyway but I am currently wrestling with just paying it off using whatís available in one of the Overdrafts or waiting. I did have a wobble last month where (even though Iíd vowed not to use it) I bought some work clothes. I came to my senses and sent them back but it was far too easy to do. If I donít pay it back using the OD cash this month I may reduce the limit on it as itís £750 and it could present a challenge I donít really need if things get tight.

Aims for this month
    1. Get serious about tracking my spending. I have planned this every month since August but it always gets about a week in and I give in. NOT THIS MONTH. I will complete a full month (warts and all) and fill in an SOA to post here. Iím managing to make headway with the debt because I donít have rent/ council tax/ utilities to pay as such anymore but I still have underlying issues with overspending and these need to be addressed if I plan on making meaningful changes going forward.
    2. Start walking more! I treated myself last month to some new gym leggings and trainers in an attempt to motivate myself to start exercising however that has not happened *sigh* This will be the month though! Iím hoping this, in conjunction with tracking my spends, will help me shift a wee bit of weight.
    3. Check in here at least twice a week. Even if I have nothing meaningful to report I still want to post updates.
    4. Ensure OD 1 does not go over £1000 overdrawn to ensure I no longer pay interest on it.

Having just mentioned I want to post frequently I do have to mention I managed to wrangle a 4 day weekend at work so am off down south of the border this weekend to visit my dad in Surrey. Likely I will be off the grid as a result but will post an update on spends when I return! Pretty terrified of flying but it costs 50% less than the train so it was a no brainer. This will be a test to my sobriety as well I feel as my usual recourse for flying would be a wee wine to take the edge offÖ Wish me luck!

Thatís enough of a ramble for now - I promise future posts will be less lengthy

If anyone is interested in my short journey so far it can be found here: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5690629#topofpage
    Last edited by lonelyrat; 18-10-2017 at 7:54 PM. Reason: Edited to add in hyperlink
    Total Debt: 1600 / 7203.13
    Outstanding Debt: Santander CC 900 - Virgin CC 700
    2018 Savings: 0 / 2500
    Weight Loss: 1.6kg/ 38kg
Page 5
    • lonelyrat
    • By lonelyrat 9th Feb 18, 11:10 PM
    • 183 Posts
    • 525 Thanks
    lonelyrat
    129 days

Nothing interesting happened today. Had a terrible, terrible day at work so just feeling quite crummy. Already in bed and I do have a glass of wine which isn't great but I am limiting it to one. Was an NSD as OH bought the wine.

Definitely getting impatient for payday. 6 days. Will only be reducing my debt by about £350 this month which doesn't feel too great but ideally I can save a fair bit of the money I'm taking to Copenhagen. Anything that gets left over from the trip is going straight to the Santander card
    • dustydigger
    • By dustydigger 10th Feb 18, 10:18 AM
    • 253 Posts
    • 1,174 Thanks
    dustydigger
    you are doing so well,Lonelyrat! You are sticking to plan and doing a grand job of paying off your debts.And I like the way you list your daily tasks and tick them off. I was intending to do that and do all sorts of decluttering etc,but real life is bogging me down at the moment and its just mini steps at the moment,though my savings side has done very well.
    I arrange my finances fortnightly and sometimes it seems to be forever before the next time period and seeing changes.I can only imagine how long a whole MONTH must seem to you
    I have similar problems with meals as you.Mr Dusty eats mostly fresh food very little convenience or tinned at all,but lots of meat,and he has set tastes and wont deviate at all,and so often his meals,though delicious and tempting dont fit in with Slimming World and I end up making totally separate meals for myself,which is expensive in both time and money. I spend huge amounts of time in the kitchen. He eats a sort of meat and two veg meal twice a day ,or casseroles which are in the oven for hours,so energy consumption for cooking is high. Oh for sticking a ready meal in the microwave for 6 or 7 minutes.Once a fortnight I use a frozen chicken curry from Her*n,as a filling for a chicken pasty,but I still have to make the pastry!And once a week he will eat an Iceland tikka masala,but bulked out with broccoli in peanut sauce,so I am still fiddling instead of just shoving the curry in the microwave for 9 minutes. Plus he wants potatoes mixed in with the rice,with onions and tomatoes so its still fiddly.
    Oh,and the washing up for his meals is enormous too!
    Oh well,he's extremely healthy for a 79 year old,so he obviously thrives on it,so its worthwhile I suppose.He going abroad for a month on 19th Feb,so I regard that as a holiday. I will be reading and chatting online all day with all those extra non cooking hours

SPC 2018 # 012 -
    £2 Savers 2018 #19 £78 Tesco Xmas Savers £10.01
    House & Home Fund 2018 - £132 (plus £174 from 2017 = £306)
    SW loss - 4 stone
    / AF April 20/24 Books read 6/12 Prolific £15.49
    SW Spring challenge 0.5/6 lbs//30mins Walks (Body Magic) 7/12

• Silver Queen
    • By Silver Queen 10th Feb 18, 9:32 PM
    • 338 Posts
    • 1,644 Thanks
    Silver Queen
    here's nothing "only" about a £350 reduction in debt in one month! That's amazing and really something to be proud of. I hope you have an amazing time in Copenhagen, it's important to get away from the stress of life sometimes. And remember, whilst you're away, you're saving on the cost of spending and food that you would usually spend in the UK! Good plan to pay any extra spending money onto your cc!

As to the bank switching, at the end of the day if things are too stressful as it is then I think it's totally fair enough to not want to deal with the faff. Personally it's worth it for me, as the amount I get is 1/10th of my monthly salary for only about 15 minutes work and I have a weird obsessive desire to plan things and control things to a T so it makes me feel like I'm in control.

Hope your day today was better than yesterday and hope you, OH and the ratties are all good x
    Debt Totals April 2018::
    £350 Natwest Credit Card / Now £0 (paid off and closed 04/2017) £15,500 postgrad loan from parents/ Now £10,500 £500 train ticket loan from parents / Now £0 (paid off 16/02/18) £2,000 Overdraft Now £0 (paid off 09/03/18)
    • lonelyrat
    • By lonelyrat 11th Feb 18, 2:20 PM
    • 183 Posts
    • 525 Thanks
    lonelyrat
    Thanks Dusty it's hard work but I'll get there eventually. I used to work in a bar and I got paid weekly in cash and I actually really miss it. The work was fun and I could organise my finances a lot better. Trying to stretch the whole month is definitely hard! Purely just because I'm so impulsive as I spend too much in the first two weeks then end up skint for the next two!

I like the idea that Mr. Dusty's trip is a holiday for you! I hope you enjoy yourself and all that time without so much cooking/ washing up
    • lonelyrat
    • By lonelyrat 11th Feb 18, 2:29 PM
    • 183 Posts
    • 525 Thanks
    lonelyrat
    Thanks as well Silver Queen - I do feel like I'm not doing enough BUT come March I should be able to make a big dent in it as I'll have my bonus. I know £350 isn't bad but it also isn't as much of a reduction as I would like (here's my impulsiveness again!) I really cannot wait until I'm debt free and my money actually goes to my future rather than just meaningless rubbish.

I was looking through my transactions yesterday on the Santander card to see how on earth I managed to ring up £2800 worth of debt on it and it was mostly just food shops after OH left his job There were a few big purchases like a sofa and bits and bobs for our flat when we first moved in and a really big council tax payment.... But mostly it was just day to day shops. Looking back we were 100% fooling ourselves we could afford our flat. We were just about managing to get by when my OH was working as well but once he stopped it all went to pot.

I think I did a lot of trying to kid myself we were OK but we really weren't. If OH's parents hadn't offered to let us move in with them I have no idea what kind of pickle we would be in now

With regards to Copenhagen I've stopped feeling guilty about it A break will be lovely and I do feel we deserve it for getting to where we are. Obviously we aren't at the finish line just yet but hopefully we can come back from it recharged and ready to bust some debt.

Yeah, I think I will just leave the switch. It's turning down free money but I can't really be bothered right now. It's just the fact I would need to open another dummy account to switch and then contact Natwest and ask to remove OH from the application and then I don't know if I would have to do another application. I just didn't go about it in the right way at all Maybe a few months down the line when we're debt free I'll give it a go again, if they have any switching incentives at the time ... I think I will need to consult with you first to make sure I am doing it the best way. You will be a seasoned pro by then anyway

I really like that you have an obsessive desire to plan. I'm a bit like that too... Control freak sounds really awful but it is kind of a fitting label haha! It's just so nice having a plan in place and something to focus on.

Yesterday was better. I was in a bad mood because of how bad Friday was but it definitely wasn't as awful. Off today though so feeling good. Going to take doggo to the loch when OH gets his !!!! in gear.

Tomorrow is our hotel stay which I am very excited about. Going to meet OH in town when I finish work and take a trip to Lush to get a bath bomb then walk to the West End Then on Tuesday we're going to have a massive big (free) breakfast and go to the Art Gallery and have a walk along the river as well. There's some lovely cafes in the west end as well so am considering taking £20 out of my savings for spending. I can top it up again when I get paid on Thursday or Friday. We shall see. Maybe I can get OH to pay hmm...

He's doing well, not doing quite as much for his dissertation as he should be though and I'm worried he's falling behind. He seems to spend a lot of time playing Counterstrike and not a lot of time doing research. I was thinking of maybe trying to get him to come into town with me when I go to work then go to the uni library. I know when I was doing my dissertation I had trouble working on it from home and did my best work in the library.

Half the ratties are doing fine... the other half not so much. One of them has a mammary tumour and it's getting really large and starting to get in her way and her cage-mate has been acting really slow and dopey so I'm worried that both of them will need to cross the rainbow bridge soon. Me and OH were maybe thinking of taking them both before Copenhagen to get PTS as I think I would be concerned being away from them. I really don't want to but I think it's probably for the best. I just really don't want either of them to be in pain
    • lonelyrat
    • By lonelyrat 11th Feb 18, 2:52 PM
    • 183 Posts
    • 525 Thanks
    lonelyrat
    Today has not been an NSD. I bought OH a Valentines day card and it was £3.00 Took it from the £20 I have in my direct debit account. I also paid £5 to the Santander card (just because I wanted to make some kind of debt payment). I wasn't going to get a card, I was just going to give him a cuddle, but he always gets me really lovely cards for Christmas/ birthdays/ Valentines so I felt I should return the favour.

Been fiddling with my spreadsheet again and feeling motivated. Payday in 4/5 days so we're almost there!

Today
    1. Take doggo to the Loch
    2. Sort laundry (Everything is clean but is all just sitting in a pile on the sofa needing put away)
    3. Sort overnight bag for hotel
    4. Shower and straighten hair

Short list today. Planning an early night tonight. Think we may watch a few episodes of The Walking Dead. I used to be really into it but I thought the last season was fairly rubbish and watched one episode of the most recent one and gave up A friend at work said it gets better though so will give it another go. Sometimes I think certain shows only work if you binge them.... Then the poorer episodes sort of get lost in amongst the good episodes, whereas if you are watching every week you have a long time to ponder how bad something was!

Got food in for dinner so ideally don't need to go to the shops - going to have Quorn mine tacos. OH may want to go though to get actual mince as he isn't keen on the Quorn variety.

127 days
    • lonelyrat
    • By lonelyrat 11th Feb 18, 9:07 PM
    • 183 Posts
    • 525 Thanks
    lonelyrat
    Today
    1. Take doggo to the Loch
    Was a really lovely day. Walked around the Loch then went on a woodland walk which was really fun. She was having the best time, paddling in the water and chasing birds. I'm quite exhausted but would love to go again and go another route.
    2. Sort laundry
    3. Sort overnight bag for hotel
    Got my clothes and bits in a wee pile and will get OH to bring with him when he meets me after work
    4. Shower and straighten hair

We did end up going to the shops as OH wanted some beer and spicy chicken stuff. OH bought me some Sanex bubble bath stuff that's clear and scentless so I can add it to the bath with whatever I get from Lush tomorrow. Very, very excited for this bath

OH playing computer games with his friends so I'm watching some rubbish TV and going to paint my nails
    • lonelyrat
    • By lonelyrat 16th Feb 18, 2:54 PM
    • 183 Posts
    • 525 Thanks
    lonelyrat
    Payday has come and gone again - £749. Slightly more than last time but really not enough to make impressive headway with the debt. It's still reducing just more slowly than I would like.

Current Debt / Debt at first DFW post

Santander CC £1650 / £2770.90
    Virgin CC £750 / £700
    RBS Loan £102.81 / £770
    Very BNPL £100 / £288.98

Total Debt £2602.81 / 7203.13

Down £516.30 from last month which is way better than I thought I was going to manage this month. Not sure how thats come about? I will need to consult the spreadsheet. (Edit: Just read through some of my previous posts and checked my spreadsheet and I made a payment to the Santander cc at the end of January of £150 and a few other little ones which I completely forgot about. I also made a payment at the beginning of Feb - Im very scatterbrained).

Was in for overtime today - only 3 hours but its better than nothing. They posted some today so Ive applied and if they approve I will have 7 hours next week and 8 the week after. Should work out at an extra £170/£180ish which is OK. Next month is a bonus month as well which is ideal. That should be when Im able to make more significant headway. Frustratingly they have posted loads of Overtime for when Im away on Holiday. Grumble grumble.

I had wanted to have the Santander card down to £1600 but it was wishful thinking. I really couldnt find an extra £50 to throw at it unfortunately.

This month is potentially going to be rough. Ive got £100 left after direct debits and credit card payments to last until the 1st of March then whatevers left from the Copenhagen savings will have to do until next payday. Its not awful but its not good.

Hotel stay was lovely, although we overslept and missed breakfast! Ended up getting brunch (and a mimosa ) out which was really nice, but not budgeted for. Art gallery was very good though and, most importantly, free. The bath was amazing. Had a glass of Cava in the bath with my bathbomb (£3.50 ) and watched a TV program about the Burj Al Arab. Was very chilled and we got a takeaway pizza to munch in bed (free as OH bought it).

I also got very lucky on Valentine's day. OH made me a card and got me some truffles and lilies which are very beautiful. Theyre my favourite flowers so was a lovely surprise.

No plans for today. Feeling quite tired after my early start so am considering a nap . Have messaged my old flatmate to ask if she would like to catch up soon as Ive been meaning to do it since the 3rd of January. I genuinely dont understand why I am the way I am Not replying to messages makes me feel so guilty and crummy and it genuinely only takes a few minutes to do, so why do I not just do it? Ghhh. Anyway done now and I feel a massive wave of relief. Messaged my dad as well as we havent spoke in about a week. I am planning on heading back down to Surrey in April for a few days as its his birthday. Ive already got the time booked off work so its just a case of monitoring the flights for when theyre the cheapest.

Tomorrow
    1.Take doggo to the Loch
    2. Organise wardrobe (somehow its a mess again?)
    3. Organise kitchen cupboards as they are also a mess
    4. Tesco / Aldi shop
    5. Get up to date on a few people's diaries (creepy). Been off for a few days so am sure I've missed some stuff.

I also need to decide what to do about Natwest. I got the application through the post from them that we just need to sign and send back. I cant decide if we should go ahead or not. Im still leaning towards not but at the same time would like £125 hmmm. Will mull it over tomorrow. OH not much help as it's "up to" me.

120 days

(Checked when payday falls in June and it's the weekend so means I will get paid early. So have shaved a few days of my DFD. This debt busting is so easy, right? )
    Last edited by lonelyrat; 16-02-2018 at 3:19 PM.
    • lonelyrat
    • By lonelyrat 16th Feb 18, 3:04 PM
    • 183 Posts
    • 525 Thanks
    lonelyrat
    Just edited my post and was hit with the blasted "!!!8217;ve" everywhere. I thought I was safe Have had to go through and delete all my apostrophes. Im not very happy though as I do love an apostrophe. Was fine when I first posted so I must have done something when I was editing it
    Last edited by lonelyrat; 16-02-2018 at 3:09 PM.
    • lonelyrat
    • By lonelyrat 18th Feb 18, 10:03 PM
    • 183 Posts
    • 525 Thanks
    lonelyrat
    Not managed a single thing on my to do list... Am feeling really rubbish and sick. Nauseous and got a bad cold and just generally feeling like poop. Work today was abysmal. I kept having to run to the bathroom as I thought I was going to be sick Fingers crossed I get over it sooner rather than later.

Good news is it's been two NSD's. Am finally getting the hang of them - although that could be as I just have no money

Had a nap after work today then helped OH move his desk out of our bedroom. He's going into the spare room with it as our bedroom is a bit too cramped. Bedroom now feels lovely and big and tomorrow OH will hoover it and we will maybe have a shuffle round with the bed and see if we can better make use of the space.

In bed got my knitting out and am going to watch some crappy TV then fall asleep. I'm so shattered! (Even after my nap).

118 days
    • indigowarrior
    • By indigowarrior 18th Feb 18, 10:49 PM
    • 493 Posts
    • 3,522 Thanks
    indigowarrior
    I have just read the whole blog. Your doing so well!
    #545- SPC/ Frugal Living Challenge April NSD 3/18 Survey Earnings £15.71/£100
    • Silver Queen
    • By Silver Queen 19th Feb 18, 5:00 PM
    • 338 Posts
    • 1,644 Thanks
    Silver Queen
    You poor thing! Hope you feel better soon!

You're doing absolutely AMAZINGLY on the debt repayments, I honestly don't know how you do it!
    Debt Totals April 2018::
    £350 Natwest Credit Card / Now £0 (paid off and closed 04/2017) £15,500 postgrad loan from parents/ Now £10,500 £500 train ticket loan from parents / Now £0 (paid off 16/02/18) £2,000 Overdraft Now £0 (paid off 09/03/18)
    • lonelyrat
    • By lonelyrat 19th Feb 18, 10:23 PM
    • 183 Posts
    • 525 Thanks
    lonelyrat
    Hi indigowarrior - thanks so much for reading my ramblings! It's a fair amount of waffle so well done for making it through!

Silver Queen aww thanks for the sympathy... I just feel so damn crappy! Quite a few people at work seem to have come down with a bug so think it's all related. Got home at about 2 and promptly KO'd. Good news is I'm still shattered so I'll be crawling back into bed again shortly I think I'm a bit of a baby when I get sick - all I want is to sleep and have someone stroke my forehead and tell me everything will be OK.

Thanks for the kind words about the debt! I have no idea how I'm managing to be honest ... I think it's partly just knowing it'll be over soon so I don't really mind having no spending money. It's definitely not sustainable long term but doable for another 4 months I feel! The part time wage means I can't throw as much as I'd like at it but at the same time I have little to no bills to pay thanks to OH's parents letting us stay so it kind of cancels out I think.

I'll jump over to your thread in a minute when I've finished rambling here and see how you're doing. I meant to spend some time catching up on diaries but have been feeling a bit too poo to manage it. I do love our conversations being spread over the two!

Work tomorrow but it's just Overtime so I should make it through the day. Only 3 hours again as they weren't offering more but it's better than nothing. Means I finish work at 10 so going to try and get the energy to take doggo a walk after... Maybe doing some light (very light ) exercise will make me feel less sickly.

Also had a reply from my Uni flatmate and she's keen to meet up which is lovely. Just waiting to hear back on her work schedule and we'll get something organised. Very excited to see her as it's been a few months since we've caught up.

117 days
    • lonelyrat
    • By lonelyrat 21st Feb 18, 10:57 PM
    • 183 Posts
    • 525 Thanks
    lonelyrat
    Managed to take the dog a walk when I got in yesterday so counting that as a win! Later in the evening OH's mum wanted some pop from the corner shop nearby so we took her for another, shorter, walk. Very happy doggo, very tired lonelyrat.

Not an NSD today as went to Tesco after work to get some bits. Am sorted for food for the next two weeks now though which is good. Been doing really good on the booze front. Haven't had any wine in over a week which is amazing for me. I have had a corona here and there but it could be worse

In work tomorrow then off on Friday thank goodness. This week has felt really long with the Overtime. Meeting up with old flatmate on Saturday so very excited about this. Nervous at the same time as we haven't seen each other in a while and that's mostly my fault.

OH will be in University on Firday so I have the day to myself which will be lovely! He only has 1 day a week in Uni (lucky !!!!!!) and I'm actually contractually meant to always work on Fridays so I never have a day off without him so am quite enthusiastic!

Feeling excited for Copenhagen... We're almost there! Got less money in savings than I had wanted but still doing OK.

Currently in bed with my oldest rattie. He's been patiently waiting for me to finish typing so I can pet him so I will finish up and watch some rubbish telly and give him a pat
    Last edited by lonelyrat; 22-02-2018 at 7:32 PM.
    • lonelyrat
    • By lonelyrat 22nd Feb 18, 7:40 PM
    • 183 Posts
    • 525 Thanks
    lonelyrat
    Not an NSD today. Bought some dark chocolate (£1.50) and a bottle of Cava (£5.55) to celebrate what felt like the longest week ever being over. I've had a really strong craving for dark chocolate recently. I never even thought I liked it before but it's all I could think about in work today

OH currently peeling potatoes as he's going to make us some chips for dinner and then the plan is to watch Three Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri in bed and drink the Cava. Then I'm going to tuck into my chocolate Very lovely evening it's shaping up to be! Going to have an early snooze though... Gotta be rested so I can enjoy my day alone tomorrow

114 days
    • lonelyrat
    • By lonelyrat 22nd Feb 18, 7:41 PM
    • 183 Posts
    • 525 Thanks
    lonelyrat
    Not an NSD today. Bought some dark chocolate (£1.50) and a bottle of Cava (£5.55) to celebrate what felt like the longest week ever being over. I've had a really strong craving for dark chocolate recently. I never even thought I liked it before but it's all I could think about in work today

OH currently peeling potatoes as he's going to make us some chips for dinner and then the plan is to watch Three Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri in bed and drink the Cava. Then I'm going to tuck into my chocolate Very lovely evening it's shaping up to be! Going to have an early snooze though... Gotta be rested so I can enjoy my day alone tomorrow

114 days
    Originally posted by lonelyrat

Clearly the healthy eating and weight loss is going well This post is 90% just me talking about food and drink...
    • lonelyrat
    • By lonelyrat 23rd Feb 18, 5:55 PM
    • 183 Posts
    • 525 Thanks
    lonelyrat
    Not the best day off alone after all. OH's parents both in a bad mood with one another and arguing and with OH out the house I felt a bit uncomfortable. Just sort of hid in the bedroom and made as little noise as possible

Going to make bean quesadillas for dinner then another early night. We didn't end up watching the film yesterday but may do so tonight. OH's chips were top notch so I may put a request in for them again sometime soon. Not exactly healthy though

OH rung the vet today and we have the girls a double appointment booked for Monday. I know it's for the best and they are both on their last legs but it's still hurts so much. I hate having the power to decided that they live or die... It doesn't feel right. That will be our mischief down to 2 out of 7 in total. Poor wee babies.

Trying to stay positive as it isn't until Monday so will shower them with love this weekend.

113 days
    • lonelyrat
    • By lonelyrat 24th Feb 18, 9:07 PM
    • 183 Posts
    • 525 Thanks
    lonelyrat
    Only 3 more shifts in work until my holiday Day off tomorrow so planning to get myself sorted so don't need to worry about it next week.

Tomorrow
    1. Trip to Primani
    - tights and a scarf (maybe) for me
    - Boxers and socks for OH

2. Download books for my Kindle
    3. Purchase Copenhagen card for our travel while there
    4. Remove photos from my phone as storage dangerously full. I have an external hard drive I will fire them on and go through them another time.
    5. Book bus tickets to airport
    6. Find suitcase (this will be a job for OH as I think it is in the shed and he deals with the shed )
    7. Find adaptors - no idea where they are as it's been a shockingly long time since I've been on holiday! If I can't find them tomorrow I will order online. I've had a look on Amazon and can get 2 for £3.99 with next day delivery so may end up doing that.

Moneywise there are no changes. Have my savings sorted for Copenhagen but will be fully skint when we come back unfortunately. OH should have his SAAS money come in around the 7th though so I can rely on him to do the food shopping until I get paid again.

112 days
    • lonelyrat
    • By lonelyrat 25th Feb 18, 9:07 PM
    • 183 Posts
    • 525 Thanks
    lonelyrat
    Today
    1. Trip to Primani
    - tights and a scarf (maybe) for me
    No scarf but I did get an amazing pair of floral peep toe boots for £3 Definitely a "want" not a "need" but I do love them. I also treated myself to some lovely earrings from Accessorize and some lip/ cheek stain from the Body Shop. Silly me. That's the frittering over though - need to be stronger. Spent £17 in total.
    - Boxers and socks for OH
    He didn't need any in the end so saved some money there at least.
    2. Download books for my Kindle
    3. Purchase Copenhagen card for our travel while there
    4. Remove photos from my phone
    Will do tomorrow.
    5. Book bus tickets to airport
    6. Find suitcase
    Will do tomorrow.
    7. Find adaptors
    Couldn't find the adaptors so have purchased 2 on Amazon and they will be here tomorrow.

Shaved OH head as his hair was getting quite long. I've also had a shower and am now in bed. Going to watch some Walking Dead with the lady rats and OH. Feeling very nervous and sad for tomorrow but trying my best not to think about it.

111 days
    Last edited by lonelyrat; 25-02-2018 at 9:15 PM.
    • lonelyrat
    • By lonelyrat 26th Feb 18, 7:02 PM
    • 183 Posts
    • 525 Thanks
    lonelyrat
    Very sad day. Our mischief is now down to two... not really a mischief anymore, more a duo.

Ladies did very well going to the vet and didn't seem too scared which was important.

Saw a different vet today than last time and she seemed more keen for surgery on the one with the mammary tumour (MT) than the previous vet did but still thought there was a high likleyhood that the little lady wouldn't wake up from it. Her cagemate, the one with the potential pituitary tumour (PT) was on borrowed time and the vet definitely thought she needed to be PTS so we decided on it for both of them. It wouldn't have been fair on MT for her to go through the stress of the surgery and wake up and find her best friend gone. Rats are very social and have strong bonds/ friendships with one another so it would have been probably too confusing and sad for her. Very, very painful saying goodbye. MT climbed up my arm at the vet and just chilled on my shoulder while we discussed options for PT. Quite proud of myself for not crying too much - only a little blub in the vets (was a different story when we left though... ), OH was a wreck and couldn't stop crying poor thing. I knitted the ladies a patch last night and we took it with us to the vets and then wrapped them in it when we buried them. The vet took them away together and they fell asleep together which was nice I think.

Spends today:
    £30 Euthanasia
    £12 Wine
    £2 potatoes
    £0.75 fruit pot for remaining rats
    £1.80 dark chocolate

£46.55 (that I don't actually have *sigh*)

Feeling a bit negative and bleugh but I suppose that's too be expected. In bed already and don't plan on getting back up until 5.30 tomorrow when I need to go to work. Going to get the remaining rats out for extended cuddles tonight.

I'm now going to have a look online as I haven't got travel insurance and feel that I should probably get us some. I've never had travel insurance and nothing's ever gone wrong but I'm a bit of a worrier these days and would prefer to be covered. Will do a price comparison thing and see if I can go through Topcashback potentially. Being as MSE as possible while also spending all my money? Not great.

I need to send OH some things to print (bus tickets/ paper copy of flight ticket etc.)

I have removed the photos from my phone so that feels good and OH knows where the suitcase is so that's half done. Tomorrow will be a laundry day I think.

110 days
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

18Posts Today

3,796Users online

Martin's Twitter