Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • lonelyrat
    • By lonelyrat 18th Oct 17, 7:48 PM
    • 541Posts
    • 1,522Thanks
    lonelyrat
    LonelyRat's (not so lonely) Road to Riches
    • 18th Oct 17, 7:48 PM
    LonelyRat's (not so lonely) Road to Riches 18th Oct 17 at 7:48 PM
    Hello everyone I have been posting for a few months now over on the general Debt Free Wannabe board but have decided what I'm wanting to do seems more like a Debt Free Diary, so here I am!

I started trying to tackle my situation in June with around £7,500 of debt and no clue what to do about it. I made a basic, confused, sort of plan to tackle it and got cracking... I managed to make a tiny dent but wasn't doing particularly much and still felt completely overwhelmed. One night, after a few (read: many) wines, a desperate internet search for "help, debt" brought me here. I began reading through other people's threads and started to get a better idea of what I should be doing (hello snowballing - how had I not heard of you?!). In August I got the balls together to post my first thread. I got some good advice, began to feel more motivated and focused and, above all, started to feel like there was light at the end of the tunnel

There are a number of reasons why I want to start this diary. Most importantly I feel like it will help me be more accountable for my actions. I've made a series of poor decisions which have led me to the money mess I'm in now. I need to unlearn bad habits and by writing everything down and checking in a few times a week I'm hoping to start reprogramming myself.

Some general info about me and my life:
    I have just turned 27 *shudder* and am partnered up with OH. We have been together a few years and live together with his parents in Bonny Scotland. A few months ago as we used to rent a flat together but really couldn't afford it so we've moved in with his parents to reduce outgoings and get this debt busted with the ultimate aim of saving towards a deposit (something that seemed completely unattainable even just a few months ago). I work in a dead end customer service role at a bank and he is a student who is currently in his last year of study (hallelujah)!

Hobbies for me include drinking wine, but I am attempting to cut this down and have gone sober for October. Hopefully I can carry it on indefinitely!

I got paid yesterday so money has been allocated to where it needs to go and here are my most up to date balances:

Current Debt / Debt at first DFW post

Overdraft 1 £950 / £1950
    Overdraft 2 £83 / £450
    Loan £472.29 / £770
    Santander CC £2744.45 / £2770.90
    Very BNPL £263.98 / £288.98
    Capital One (1) £0 / £404.25
    Capital One (2) £0 / £179
    Barclaycard £0 / £390

Total Debt £4513.72 / 7203.13

If anyone is interested in my short journey so far it can be found here: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5690629#topofpage
    Last edited by lonelyrat; 01-05-2018 at 9:19 AM. Reason: Edited to make less lengthy
    Total Debt : ?? / 7266.93
    Weight Loss: ?? kg / 45kg
Page 28
    • Lucifa73
    • By Lucifa73 19th Dec 18, 9:20 AM
    • 7,553 Posts
    • 10,001 Thanks
    Lucifa73
    Hi Lovely.

There's some bugs going around at the moment - the sleep could be your body fighting one off. I did much the same last night.

When does the new job start?
    16.1.19/14.1.19: T MC £168/£3629.26 : VM £0/£13876.59 : W £0/£1400 = 0/18905.85 =0.89%
    SPC 2019 #073

• Silver Queen
    • By Silver Queen 19th Dec 18, 10:32 AM
    • 556 Posts
    • 2,475 Thanks
    Silver Queen
    I am so happy for you! Feel like we're good friends even though we don't even know each others' names

Congrats again and well done well done well done!!!
    Debt Totals January 2019::
    £350 Natwest Credit Card / Now £0 (paid off and closed 04/2017) £15,500 postgrad loan from parents/ Now £8,250 £500 train ticket loan from parents / Now £0 (paid off 16/02/18) £2,000 Overdraft Now £0 (paid off 09/03/18) £1,967.83 Barclays 0% card Now £1,747.83
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 27th Dec 18, 2:14 PM
    • 2,137 Posts
    • 13,363 Thanks
    redofromstart
    Hope everything is ok and that you have had a good Christmas?
    • Kitten868
    • By Kitten868 27th Dec 18, 9:30 PM
    • 1,086 Posts
    • 2,659 Thanks
    Kitten868
    Wowee what totally fabulous news. So what's your official start date? What needs to happen for you to be ready? Will you go up and then oh and the stuff come later? Or everything all at once? Or people first, stuff later?

Hope you've had a brilliant Christmas. Bet you ran into work with your notice xxx
    Loan 1 £5400/£8000
    Loan 2 £3400/£5800
    Total £8800/£13800 36% PAID

And CC £1475/1900
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 1st Jan 19, 6:32 PM
    • 2,137 Posts
    • 13,363 Thanks
    redofromstart
    Happy new year lonely rat!
    • Lucifa73
    • By Lucifa73 7th Jan 19, 1:55 PM
    • 7,553 Posts
    • 10,001 Thanks
    Lucifa73
    happy New Year Lovely. Hope you had a great couple of weeks. Can't wait to hear more about your move!

Luc x
    16.1.19/14.1.19: T MC £168/£3629.26 : VM £0/£13876.59 : W £0/£1400 = 0/18905.85 =0.89%
    SPC 2019 #073

• Starmummy
    • By Starmummy 7th Jan 19, 2:02 PM
    • 311 Posts
    • 1,460 Thanks
    Starmummy
    Happy new year lonely and well done on the job.

SM
    debt consolidated 16/8/18 £12,606.83/£12,618.12 (Total debt at LBM 1st Jan '18 c..£19.5k)
    EF savings £850.08 Holiday Savings £350.02 House Deposit (LISA) £631.25/£12,000 5%
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 7th Jan 19, 2:09 PM
    • 3,917 Posts
    • 22,377 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    I hope all is well? Missing finding out what is happening for you...
    • lonelyrat
    • By lonelyrat 11th Jan 19, 4:13 PM
    • 541 Posts
    • 1,522 Thanks
    lonelyrat
    Hello lovelies Long time no see... I'm so sorry Classic Lonelyrat strikes again! Feel like I've been wallowing in a pit of despair for the last few weeks for no apparent reason. Probably just seasonal blues/ Christmas but it really knocked me and I've been having a hard time getting the gumption to even get out of bed. Been off work sick and just been spending all my time in bed. Ashamed to say it's been about a week since I last had a shower That changes today though as am back at work tomorrow.

I have no idea where the times gone. I feel like I blinked and weeks have passed...

I will come back on on Sunday to have a read through people's threads/ properly update here, but I just wanted to say I appreciate everyone checking in You are all fab

Just a very brief update
    1. Everything is going ahead with the move/ new job (at a million miles a minute). Van rented and OH will be driving us and our stuff down next Thursday. New job starts on the 21st.
    2. No clue where I am debt wise. Made some payments with the Virgin card before Christmas so I need to sit down and figure out where I stand with that. New year, new spreadsheet time I think.
    3. Money-wise I am doing surprisingly well this month. I have £196 left of last months wage and it's payday at some point next week. This feels very strange as I'm usually counting the pennies by this point.
    4. Stopped taking my anti-depressants (because I am a numpty). Started again last night (because I am trying not to be a numpty) but am running low so have asked OH to phone the GP for me to see if I can get an appointment for next week before we leave.
    5. Started drinking again over the festive period and this now needs to stop.
    6. OH parents still not on board with the move which is hard. OH seems to be feeling better about it though which is something.

It all feels very doom and gloom at Chez Lonelyrat, but this will improve I am sure! Anywho, I'm off to have a shower () will be back on Sunday to catch up!
    Last edited by lonelyrat; 11-01-2019 at 4:16 PM.
    • SSDD23
    • By SSDD23 11th Jan 19, 4:16 PM
    • 583 Posts
    • 1,501 Thanks
    SSDD23
    Lovely to see you back xxxx
    Money made in January: £80.81/£100.00 // January NSDs: 12/20 //
    SPC #029 £15.50 // DFXMAS 2019 #035 £178.73/£5000

Debt-busting
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 11th Jan 19, 4:37 PM
    • 2,137 Posts
    • 13,363 Thanks
    redofromstart
    Good to see you posting, hope the move goes well
    • Lucifa73
    • By Lucifa73 11th Jan 19, 4:39 PM
    • 7,553 Posts
    • 10,001 Thanks
    Lucifa73
    Lovely to see you Lovely! Sorry to hear you have been feeling rotten. Hopefully the new year and the move/new job will help with some fresh start energy.

Speak soon
    Luc x
    SPC 2019 #073

• lonelyrat
    • By lonelyrat 13th Jan 19, 10:32 AM
    • 541 Posts
    • 1,522 Thanks
    lonelyrat
    Thanks again guys Feeling slightly more positive today... Still feel overwhelmed but have a handy list of 'to-dos' to keep me right!

Packing is almost completely done which is fab, just a few last bits and bobs. Got three more days left at work so have my work clothes out and some comfies for travelling and that's it. Also done an inventory on a spreadsheet so I know exactly what we have. I feel like we just have so much 'stuff' but can't really get rid of things as they seem like essentials (probably not actually essential though ). Will have another look through when we actually get to England. Heading to Argos today to pick up a suitcase which I've ordered for the rest of our clothes/ remaining bits.

Picking up the van from Glasgow at 8.30 on Thursday so am hoping by the time we get it back here and all loaded up we'll be away by 10.30/11.00. Have organised furniture/ boxes etc. in the spare room so shouldn't take too long to load. OH's Dad is off work on Thursday so he can give us a hand

Feeling quite cheeky about the drive down as OH not particularly looking forward to it and I get to sit back and be a passenger!

On the driving front I sat my theory test last week and passed it. Third time I've done it since 2012 - I just keep letting it expire before actually bothering to learn to drive Third time WILL be the charm though as am determined that 2019 will be the year I finally learn drive.

Nothing else needs to be done for me to be ready to start work, which is making me relax a little bit. I had needed a copy of my GCSE results and couldn't find it which was proving quite stressful but I had contacted the exam board and requested a copy. It set me back £40 I was worried it wouldn't arrive before my first day but my Dad has just sent me a message saying it's arrived at his, so that's one less thing to worry about.

My contract for my phone was up this month and I had been going to go sim only with another provider. I used Vodafone's online chat thing to cancel, but they ended up retaining me I was so convinced I was changing but they beat the deal I found elsewhere and threw in a signal booster box. Am quite happy as my bill has dropped from £43 to £19.35. That takes effect from this month which is handy! I know I could probably have got something for around a tenner, but this plans got a lot of data which I want. My old plan was only 6gb (and sometimes I would run out) whereas this new one is 30gb (way more than I will ever need!)

To do:
    1. Pack ASOS order to return to post office tomorrow (new job is dress down and I bought a few bits).
    2. Pick up suitcase in Argos
    3. Get passport photo taken
    4. Pack remaining bits in suitcase
    5. Hoover bedroom
    6. Shower
    7. Take rubbish to the cowp
    8. Varnish sofa/ pouf legs (they are light brown wood but I want them darker. Have already done one coat of varnish but need a few more before it'll look decent).

Have a lovely Sunday everyone
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 13th Jan 19, 12:09 PM
    • 3,917 Posts
    • 22,377 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Well done on passing your driving theory test

You are so honest with your struggles and triumphs. I really admire that about you.
    It isn't surprising you have wobbled with so much change, but really you are doing so very, very, well.

Have a lovely Sunday x
    • lonelyrat
    • By lonelyrat 14th Jan 19, 9:18 PM
    • 541 Posts
    • 1,522 Thanks
    lonelyrat
    Thanks DIA Baby steps and I may actually achieve some of my 2019 goals

Had a modestly successful go at my to - do list yesterday...

To do:
    1. Pack ASOS order to return to post office tomorrow
    All packed but didn't return to PO today, will do tomorrow
    2. Pick up suitcase in Argos
    3. Get passport photo taken
    Will do tomorrow - am going to M&S to pick up 2 bras and there's a photo booth near by.
    4. Pack remaining bits in suitcase
    Everything packed minus clothes for the next few days and toiletries (eek!)
    5. Hoover bedroom
    6. Shower
    7. Take rubbish to the cowp
    Done - but there is now more rubbish Will go Wednesday night as well when packing/ clearing out completely done
    8. Varnish sofa/ pouf legs
    OH did this for me and they are looking lovely.

OH called the GP for me today and they don't have any appointments until the 22nd, but they have ordered me a prescription and can go to the pharmacy tomorrow to fill it. Should be enough to last until I get registered in England. I've had a look and prescriptions cost £8.80 Not massive, but still - am used to getting them free!

Fell asleep after I got in from work and am now wide awake. Really need to cut back on the naps as they are no good for me

Tonight I am going to:
    1. Clear out the fridge/ freezer and see what needs used up/ what can be taken.
    2. Sort out my login for my pension account as I usually just get into it through the work intranet and don't need my password (and therefore have forgotten it )
    3. Draft email to send to new employer tomorrow - they've moved offices and I'm not sure the address for Monday.

I feel a bit lost as I think there should be more that I need to do/ must be things I've forgotten but I've wracked my brains and really can't think of anything

Celebrating small wins tonight:
    - AF for 3 days
    - 2 more shifts at work
    - Still have money in my current acc and payday is in 2 days.
    - Bought myself 2 good bras from M&S and am looking forward to having happy/ comfy boobs.
    • Silver Queen
    • By Silver Queen 14th Jan 19, 9:36 PM
    • 556 Posts
    • 2,475 Thanks
    Silver Queen
    Free prescriptions!

It might be more cost effective for you to get a pre paid certificate x
    Debt Totals January 2019::
    £350 Natwest Credit Card / Now £0 (paid off and closed 04/2017) £15,500 postgrad loan from parents/ Now £8,250 £500 train ticket loan from parents / Now £0 (paid off 16/02/18) £2,000 Overdraft Now £0 (paid off 09/03/18) £1,967.83 Barclays 0% card Now £1,747.83
    • lonelyrat
    • By lonelyrat 15th Jan 19, 7:56 AM
    • 541 Posts
    • 1,522 Thanks
    lonelyrat
    Free eye tests too Silver Queen which I still havenít sorted out... I had one booked but got nervy for some reason and cancelled and now donít think thereís time to rebook. Whoops! May have a nosey and see if I can get something sorted for tomorrow.

Iíve had a look at pre paid and youíre right, it may be worth considering! I suppose when Iím registered with a GP and have my first appointment Iíll ask them how long my prescription will last for. Ideally they can do me 2 months worth like up here, but not sure!

Couldnít fall asleep until half 4 last night (thanks for nothing nap!) and had nasty nightmares when I did manage to sleep. Still reeling from them

Today is going to be productive (and nap free)
    1. Pick up bras from M&S
    2. Passport photos
    3. ASOS returns to Po
    4. Clear out fridge / freezer (out of bin bags so didnít happen yesterday )
    5. Make it through work

Have a lovely day everyone ❤️
    • Starmummy
    • By Starmummy 15th Jan 19, 9:17 AM
    • 311 Posts
    • 1,460 Thanks
    Starmummy
    Hi Lonely,

I just read your post from the 11th and wanted to reach through my screen and give you a big hug.

I'm so glad you are feeling brighter now.

You have so much going on at the moment, even if they are all positive things it is completely natural to feel overwhelmed by it all. Just be kind to yourself.

I really admire you.

Keep on keeping on lovely.

Take care

SM
    debt consolidated 16/8/18 £12,606.83/£12,618.12 (Total debt at LBM 1st Jan '18 c..£19.5k)
    EF savings £850.08 Holiday Savings £350.02 House Deposit (LISA) £631.25/£12,000 5%
    • SSDD23
    • By SSDD23 15th Jan 19, 9:30 AM
    • 583 Posts
    • 1,501 Thanks
    SSDD23
    Hope you're not too exhausted today! xx
    Money made in January: £80.81/£100.00 // January NSDs: 12/20 //
    SPC #029 £15.50 // DFXMAS 2019 #035 £178.73/£5000

Debt-busting
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 15th Jan 19, 6:53 PM
    • 3,917 Posts
    • 22,377 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    There is nothing wrong with naps. I hope you did well with your list today
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,012Posts Today

8,907Users online

Martin's Twitter