Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • lonelyrat
    • By lonelyrat 18th Oct 17, 7:48 PM
    • 521Posts
    • 1,406Thanks
    lonelyrat
    LonelyRat's (not so lonely) Road to Riches
    • 18th Oct 17, 7:48 PM
    LonelyRat's (not so lonely) Road to Riches 18th Oct 17 at 7:48 PM
    Hello everyone I have been posting for a few months now over on the general Debt Free Wannabe board but have decided what I'm wanting to do seems more like a Debt Free Diary, so here I am!

I started trying to tackle my situation in June with around 7,500 of debt and no clue what to do about it. I made a basic, confused, sort of plan to tackle it and got cracking... I managed to make a tiny dent but wasn't doing particularly much and still felt completely overwhelmed. One night, after a few (read: many) wines, a desperate internet search for "help, debt" brought me here. I began reading through other people's threads and started to get a better idea of what I should be doing (hello snowballing - how had I not heard of you?!). In August I got the balls together to post my first thread. I got some good advice, began to feel more motivated and focused and, above all, started to feel like there was light at the end of the tunnel

There are a number of reasons why I want to start this diary. Most importantly I feel like it will help me be more accountable for my actions. I've made a series of poor decisions which have led me to the money mess I'm in now. I need to unlearn bad habits and by writing everything down and checking in a few times a week I'm hoping to start reprogramming myself.

Some general info about me and my life:
    I have just turned 27 *shudder* and am partnered up with OH. We have been together a few years and live together with his parents in Bonny Scotland. A few months ago as we used to rent a flat together but really couldn't afford it so we've moved in with his parents to reduce outgoings and get this debt busted with the ultimate aim of saving towards a deposit (something that seemed completely unattainable even just a few months ago). I work in a dead end customer service role at a bank and he is a student who is currently in his last year of study (hallelujah)!

Hobbies for me include drinking wine, but I am attempting to cut this down and have gone sober for October. Hopefully I can carry it on indefinitely!

I got paid yesterday so money has been allocated to where it needs to go and here are my most up to date balances:

Current Debt / Debt at first DFW post

Overdraft 1 950 / 1950
    Overdraft 2 83 / 450
    Loan 472.29 / 770
    Santander CC 2744.45 / 2770.90
    Very BNPL 263.98 / 288.98
    Capital One (1) 0 / 404.25
    Capital One (2) 0 / 179
    Barclaycard 0 / 390

Total Debt 4513.72 / 7203.13

If anyone is interested in my short journey so far it can be found here: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5690629#topofpage
    Last edited by lonelyrat; 01-05-2018 at 9:19 AM. Reason: Edited to make less lengthy
    Total Debt : 1600.00 / 7266.93
    Weight Loss: 20 kg / 45kg
Page 21
    • SSDD23
    • By SSDD23 8th Aug 18, 11:54 AM
    • 475 Posts
    • 1,159 Thanks
    SSDD23
    Hope you're having a lovely time xx
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 8th Aug 18, 5:12 PM
    • 3,737 Posts
    • 21,046 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Love the word foosty

Happy hols
    Emergency fund 127/1000
    NSD December 5/31 AFD 2/10, SFD 0/10
    IF NOT NOW THEN WHEN
    • lonelyrat
    • By lonelyrat 12th Aug 18, 8:41 PM
    • 521 Posts
    • 1,406 Thanks
    lonelyrat
    Thank you everyone that's us back now. Was fab Had a truly lovely time, it was really nice to get away from everything and just switch off and enjoy 'being'.
    tl;dr - saw waterfalls, graves, castles, beaches, buddhist retreats and climbed a mountain

The rest of this post is a wee bit lengthy so feel free to skip it!

First day I had organised with the B&B that we could drop off our bags at half 11 (check in wasn't until 3) which meant we could go exploring... But the lovely lady who co-runs it had actually already sorted our room out and just let us check in straight away which was unexpected but lovely. Was nice to sit down and sort ourselves out before heading off to adventure. We did a walk up to a massive waterfall which was great, then climbed up to the Giants Graves (two cairns that supposedly giants were buried in). We then got a bus to Kildonan and walked along the beach and to some castle ruins... They were actually in people's back gardens which was unexpected!

Next day we got a bus to the north of the Island and got off at the Arran Distillery - we didn't do a tour (trying to save pennies!) but just sat outside with the sheep for a while. We then walked through the fields to a castle on the seaside... This one was also ruined, but less so (and was not in a garden ).

We had lunch sitting outside a cafe which used to be a small fire station (!) ... it was pretty cool and was speaking to the lady behind the till and she said it's been a sandwich shop for 16 years now. Sat on the beach some more waiting for the next bus (waiting on buses actually became a bit of a theme for the trip).

The next day was the biggie..... Goatfell Mountain. We asked the bus driver to give us a shout when we got to where to start from but she forgot unfortunately and we've never been before so didn't know we had passed it We stayed on the bus till the next town and then got off there. We started the walk from Corrie rather than Brodick which is more challenging... Was not what we had planned for our first attempt at climbing a mountain It was nice on the way up though as there was no one else walking the way we did. We walked up next to Corrie burn for part of the way which was beautiful as there were loads of waterfalls and I filled up my water bottle from the burn. The water was completely clear and tasted great.

The climb was tough... Was supposed to take 6 hours but took us 7 and a bit. We did it though! The path we took met up with the easier route on the range with about 400 meters to go from the top so we started to see other people. Mostly they were going down which was a bit nerve wracking for us as we worried we were taking too long and would miss the bus back. OH struggled a little more than me and when we were about 100 m from the top he said he would wait there for me. He's developed a bit of a fear of heights and was getting a bit nervous I think. I kept going and the final bit was really easy... The path and the rough steps we had been climbing kind of disappeared and you needed to scramble over boulders, but I found that far easier than climbing the stairs

When I got to the top I genuinely felt I could conquer the world. Sounds stupid, I know, but it was an amazing feeling. I had it all to myself and it was a beautiful afternoon so could see really very far. Took some selfies at the trig point and must have been longer than I thought because OH had climbed up a bit and I could see him. He had got worried I'd been gone too long and thought I had hurt myself and had raced up to me. It made me feel very loved and gave me some butterflies. He's a good egg. I went back to down to where he was and convinced him to come up with me (the end stretch was far, far easier than what we'd already done!). He's very glad he made it to the top and so am I

On the walk down the weather changed and we were actually walking through clouds which was pretty surreal. It then started to rain which was a bit nerve wracking but we made it safe and sound. OH had not worn his waterproof (surprise surprise) so got soaked. He has now agreed to listen to me in the future

We took the other route down (towards Brodick) which was much easier going. By the time we made it down there weren't any buses so we needed to walk back to the ferry terminal to get one which was pretty rough as we were shattered at that point. We did it though, and caught the last bus back to where we were staying from there.

Did 37,1288 steps and climbed 291 floors (874 meters technically).

Next day we took it easy and went to the Holy Island - an island off Arran which was bought by monks. The island was beautiful and was pretty interesting to learn about Buddhism a bit more. I got a wee book on relaxation and am enjoying it. We walked around the island as much as we could (some parts where off limits as people are in retreat.... for four years! No leaving for four whole years!) and it was really nice. There were goats, sheep and eriskay ponies and I also lucked out and saw a seal basking on a rock near the shore.

On the final day we got the bus to Arran Aromatics and the Cheese shop. Got a wee candle for our room and a hunk of cheese which is very tasty.

Safe to say I'm pretty shattered, but it was an absolutely amazing holiday. September 2015 was our last holiday as we've always been too skint .... It's almost been three years but this holiday was worth the wait

Had done 143,879 steps this week which is definitely a new personal best. Don't think I'll ever be able to replicate it Money-wise things are good... Had money in savings for spending when we were there and managed to keep in budget so feeling pretty happy about that! Still have some money left in the bank and get paid pretty soon so for the first time in a long time (ever?) I may have over 100 still in my account when I get paid Usually I'm right down to my last fiver....
    Last edited by lonelyrat; 12-08-2018 at 8:50 PM.
    • lonelyrat
    • By lonelyrat 12th Aug 18, 8:47 PM
    • 521 Posts
    • 1,406 Thanks
    lonelyrat
    Tomorrow I'm off work still so will have a day of faffing about... Will do all our laundry and go a walk. Want to pop to Asda as well to get some photies printed. I've been meaning to start a sort of album for a while now but never get round to it. Have decided that now seems a good a time as any. Went in the shed and dug out a sketch book I've had for a while and will use that. It's been sitting in there collecting dust for 2 years (since the last time I decided I wanted to start one )

Will make this a '2018' book and will do all our adventures this year so far. Will be nice to have something to look back on.

I've just lit my new fancy Arran Aromatics candle (8 and it's tiny!) and have put the fairies on. Going to get in bed and watch OITNB then have an early snooze. Will be on tomorrow at some point to catch up on everything I've missed.

(I actually feel like I've been gone a month rather than a few days )
    • Lucifa73
    • By Lucifa73 15th Aug 18, 11:41 AM
    • 7,511 Posts
    • 9,829 Thanks
    Lucifa73
    Hi Lonely! Just caught up on your adventures now I'm back to 'normal'. You have certainly packed a lot into the past 3 weeks!

Your trip to Arran sounds amazing fun - I hope the midges didn't snack on you too much?! I went camping there years ago. We climbed Goatfell and when we got to the top OH got down and one knee and proposed! (Sadly when we tried to call everyone to tell them the mobile network was down. We learned later that London Underground had been bombed )

Congratulations on your 1 year MSE-Versary and double congratulations on clearing your credit card.

I hope OH's job hunting is going well - you have carried a lot of this burden by yourself and it would be nice to see you getting a bit of support! (Sorry if that is out of turn but I really think it would help your stress levels not to be covering this all alone).

Tesco CC 020718: 3502.86/240918: 3172.14 9.44%
    Surveys 2018 cashed 14.84/cleared 21.45/pending 0.90... (plus 600 YouGov points...)
    2018 challenges: 50ps challenge:19.00 5ps challenge: 4.10
    SPC 2019 #073

• lonelyrat
    • By lonelyrat 19th Aug 18, 12:36 PM
    • 521 Posts
    • 1,406 Thanks
    lonelyrat
    Hi Lucifa It was amazingly fun! It's now made me want more holidays.... Need to keep my sensible hat on and not go crazy booking anything! Midges were ok surprisingly! Think we got very luck. Bought some 'smidge' spray and some head nets (we looked v. fashionable when we tried them on ) but never needed them. Awwww that's so romantic! OH did not drop to one knee... If he had I think it would more likely be due to exhaustion

Hmmmm OH's job hunt has ground to a halt unfortunately. I'm going to let him have a day off (as he was drinking last night and is currently out for the count) then tomorrow I will be having some words.

Don't worry, you aren't out of turn at all. I feel the same sometimes, but then feel a bit guilty for it. He was very helpful and lovely when he got his student finance every month as he would usually transfer me some to help with my debt as well as his... It's just this period where there's nothing coming in from him which is hard. Last summer it was dire BUT there was an end in sight as uni started again in September. But this time there's not an end in sight which, I can admit, is making me a bit stressed out.

I feel stretched very thin at the moment, moneywise and mentally. Payday was a few days ago... All bills are covered and I've my payment to the Virgin card. Also made minimum payments to OH's cards and put a tenner into my savings. There really isn't much left to play with for the rest of the month which is worrying. Will just need to have a very frugal month... We are heading camping over the bank holiday (as the scheduling gods in work have smiled upon me and it's too good an opportunity to miss ) so will need cash for diesel and food.

I have a confession ... Before Arran I got myself a new pair of walking boots and OH some walking shoes. I also got us a pair of good wool socks each which were quite pricey. This all went on the Virgin card which took the balance up to 850. I justified it at the time very convincingly to myself (that we wouldn't enjoy/ wouldn't be able to make the most of the holiday with blistered feet etc.) but I've been feeling guilty about it. We had a great time, but it means I'll be in debt for even longer and I don't like how easily I reached for credit. I just feel a bit pants about it all really.

I paid 200 to the Virgin card on payday so the balance is now 650... 25 increase over last month

In good news I just took a trip into town and used the scales in Boots. Have now lost 20 kg Very happy about that... Just need to keep motivated. Money and weight wise.
    • Toni'sfriend
    • By Toni'sfriend 19th Aug 18, 2:36 PM
    • 1,713 Posts
    • 16,789 Thanks
    Toni'sfriend
    I have a confession ... Before Arran I got myself a new pair of walking boots and OH some walking shoes. I also got us a pair of good wool socks each which were quite pricey. This all went on the Virgin card which took the balance up to 850. I justified it at the time very convincingly to myself (that we wouldn't enjoy/ wouldn't be able to make the most of the holiday with blistered feet etc.) but I've been feeling guilty about it. We had a great time, but it means I'll be in debt for even longer and I don't like how easily I reached for credit. I just feel a bit pants about it all really.
    Well, you know, you can't stop living and enjoying yourself. I would say this is just a good investment. It's not a waste of money that's gone in a puff of smoke. You're doing really well. Wish I could be so positive on the weight loss.
    • Scott-Weiland
    • By Scott-Weiland 19th Aug 18, 10:22 PM
    • 315 Posts
    • 704 Thanks
    Scott-Weiland
    I have a confession ... Before Arran I got myself a new pair of walking boots and OH some walking shoes. I also got us a pair of good wool socks each which were quite pricey. This all went on the Virgin card which took the balance up to 850.

Hay there is nothing wrong with buying those as long as your using them, I buy running shoes every three-four months and they are 100-120 a pair same goes for running socks 10-15quid a pair but they last and they are better than there cheaper counterparts at preventing knackered feet and injuries.
    Cashback Earnings Ish YTD 74.66 Survey Earnings YTD Ish 550.84
    Qmee 57.78 Since 3/11/2018
    • Lucifa73
    • By Lucifa73 20th Aug 18, 2:41 PM
    • 7,511 Posts
    • 9,829 Thanks
    Lucifa73
    Walking boots are critical if you plan on doing a lot of walking (and you are racking up the steps on a regular basis ) - it goes beyond blisters - you need the right support to avoid sprains and ligament damage. I don't think they were unjustified expense - they are an investment in your health and wellbeing! (Unlike the blow out I had on Friday but that's another story... )

Hopefully OH is back on track with applications... Have you spoken to him about how it is adding to your stress? Sometimes Hubbles just needs to hear my perspective to help him understand and make a change.

Where you planning on going for the weekend? We haven't been camping in a while which is a shame because we all enjoy it. The kids are at school so I'm hoping to get out and about with Hubbles and get some fresh air!
    Surveys 2018 cashed 14.84/cleared 21.45/pending 0.90... (plus 600 YouGov points...)
    SPC 2019 #073

• UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 20th Aug 18, 3:07 PM
    • 1,712 Posts
    • 9,455 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    Agree with what's been said before, a pair of good quality comfortable boots are an investment.
    Any experienced walker / hiker will tell you the same thing that the one thing that is essential to get right is the right pair of boots for your feet.
    I've spent / wasted a LOT of money over the years on various walking / hiking boots and at the moment I have two pairs that I use dependent on where I'm going, what I am doing and what the weather is expected to be like.
    I have a pair of well used, well loved (and bloomin' expensive!) Salomon Boots that are really good and comfy for most walking conditions BUT my fave boots are a pair of 30 British Army Issue Hi-Liability Combat Boots made by HAIX, that have provided many miles of comfortable hiking in all sorts of weather and terrain.
    Hope you enjoy your next adventure
    BUGGRITMILLENIUMHANDANDSHRIMP I TOLD EM! - Foul Ole Ron
    It is important that we know where we come from, because if you do not know where you come from, then you do not know where you are, and if you don't know where you are, then you don't know where you are going. If you don't know where you're going, you're probably going wrong.
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • Silver Queen
    • By Silver Queen 20th Aug 18, 3:24 PM
    • 513 Posts
    • 2,290 Thanks
    Silver Queen
    Hi Lonelyrat, just thought I'd pop in to say hi. Hope you're doing well. Sounds like your holiday was really lovely! Totally agree that good shoes are a necessity.

Did everything get sorted out with your work issues in the end, by the way?
    Debt Totals December 2018::
    350 Natwest Credit Card / Now 0 (paid off and closed 04/2017) 15,500 postgrad loan from parents/ Now 8,500 500 train ticket loan from parents / Now 0 (paid off 16/02/18) 2,000 Overdraft Now 0 (paid off 09/03/18) 1,967.83 Barclays 0% card Now 1,967.83
    • SSDD23
    • By SSDD23 20th Aug 18, 4:06 PM
    • 475 Posts
    • 1,159 Thanks
    SSDD23
    Good shoes are a necessity! I'm going to have to buy myself a size bigger for my walking now that I've put in the supportive insoles I'm supposed to have but needs must
    • efes shareholder
    • By efes shareholder 20th Aug 18, 4:15 PM
    • 399 Posts
    • 1,053 Thanks
    efes shareholder
    I was bought up to be told that you must always ensure you have a comfortable mattress and decent shoes

Generally if you aren't in one you are in the other
    • dustydigger
    • By dustydigger 22nd Aug 18, 12:13 PM
    • 705 Posts
    • 2,391 Thanks
    dustydigger
    Hi Lonelyrat,just popped in to say hello and tell you I'm peagreen with envy at your weightloss. I lost 25 kg but things went pearshaped for various reasons and I have put 5 kg back on!I'm sure all that walking you do has been a key thing in your progress. I just cant get up the motivation somehow,plus I've not been too well.
    So you are still braving Boots to check your weight? I know you found that a bit daunting,when the stupid machine starts talking!
    The machine in our town broke down and never got repaired for some reason,and the one in the city is 8miles away,so not at all helpful

Keep up the good work,and keep on prodding the OH,who still seems to be thinking he is a teenager!

If we could chuck out our partners I bet we could do wonders!
    SPC 2019 # 012 - 2 Savers 2018 #19 218 House & Home Fund 2019 - 20 (+ c/f from 2018= 531) AF Mar-Nov 269 days+ Dec 16/24 Books read 2018:153 Prolific 3.45 /
    total savings 2018:1992card xmas savings 2018:145

• Silver Queen
    • By Silver Queen 27th Aug 18, 1:53 PM
    • 513 Posts
    • 2,290 Thanks
    Silver Queen
    Hope everything is ok xx
    350 Natwest Credit Card / Now 0 (paid off and closed 04/2017) 15,500 postgrad loan from parents/ Now 8,500 500 train ticket loan from parents / Now 0 (paid off 16/02/18) 2,000 Overdraft Now 0 (paid off 09/03/18) 1,967.83 Barclays 0% card Now 1,967.83
    • Lucifa73
    • By Lucifa73 28th Aug 18, 1:45 PM
    • 7,511 Posts
    • 9,829 Thanks
    Lucifa73
    Hope all is well. Not like you to be MIA for so long. X
    SPC 2019 #073

• SSDD23
    • By SSDD23 3rd Sep 18, 3:55 PM
    • 475 Posts
    • 1,159 Thanks
    SSDD23
    Hope all is ok lonelyrat ?? xx
    • lonelyrat
    • By lonelyrat 7th Sep 18, 9:35 AM
    • 521 Posts
    • 1,406 Thanks
    lonelyrat
    Hello lovelies. Sorry for the absence... I've really not been doing very well. My mental health has taken a sharp turn for the worse and it's taken all I've got in me to get through the days. Really not sure what's happened or triggered it, but there you go. Good news is I'm still here

I haven't felt this low in a very long time. The anti depressants were doing OK and I felt relatively stable and couldn't cry even if I felt sad but now I can't stop crying. I just sit on the floor and weep and I don't know why. Nothing's changed with dosage or anything so not sure what's happening there. I have an appointment with the doctor on Monday so will see how that goes. I need to sit down and try and write out notes to prepare as I don't want to get steamrollered again.

I'm still feeling very overwhelmed and I feel sort of like I'm disconnected and stuck in a massive marshmallow and no matter how hard I try and move forward I'm just stuck where I am, in the marshmallow

Finances and diet have taken a bit of a back seat as I haven't really had the energy to do anything BUT I skimmed over my bank accounts/ credit cards for the first time in a few weeks and feel OK-ish, quite rubbish but I don't have the energy to feel much more. I have accrued more debt, which is pants. But I can still sort it I think. I've somehow added another 970ish (I think) to my debt... I need to sit down and actually find out how the **** I've managed it and how bad the damage actually is. I don't even know what happened. I feel like parts of the last few weeks are a bit blurry and I think I maybe went mad impulsively spending before I started to feel as despondent as I currently do.

We did go camping and I fired the site fees on my credit card but we didn't spend any money when we were there, other than on diesel so I don't think that really adds up. Like I said, I'm not sure and will need to do some investigating. It's a ridiculous amount of money to spend in a few weeks and I don't have anything to show for it so I'm really confused/ annoyed at myself.

I also had a haircut, actually, which set me back 30. I don't know what compelled me... I've cut my own hair for the past 5/6 years as I feel really nervous about the thought of going to the hairdresser some reason. BUT after work one day I just walked into a training academy and they had availability so I just cut it all off. 20 inches gone. At the time I thought it was a great idea and I was facing a fear that I have, but in hindsight I think it was maybe just a bit manic.

Anyway, debt is up (will come back later with an actual figure and hopefully a plan of action) and weight is up by just under 2 kilos I think. Will update my signature with the totals when I've figured out the damage.

Good news is that I haven't been drinking at all. I have been very tempted.... For the first real time since I stopped in April. Wine has been occupying my mind a lot whereas before, after a few weeks sober, I didn't even think about it really. Work has been quite stressful and my performance is slipping and when I come home I keep thinking about how nice it would be to unwind with a glass (I can actually see it in my minds eye, with some condensation on the glass) or get blootered and sink into oblivion. I haven't drunk though. There's a large part of me that knows how much worse it would likely make everything.

Poor OH is doing his best to help but I think I've maybe become too much for him. The other day I couldn't get out of bed but he kept haranguing me to go with him to his grans. Eventually I got up but then couldn't find a top in the mess that the room had become (I usually like to keep our room clean and organised, but have just been throwing clothes on the floor recently) and was just sitting there among all the mess crying feeling like I was becoming part of the mess. He just let me cry for a while then he sat with me cleaning everything up. He's so wonderful and I've started to get worried that this will all be a bit too far for him and he'll just have enough of me and chuck me.

It's also hard because he doesn't understand what's happened to me, but I can't explain it because I don't know either.

Anyway, that's enough of a ramble for now. I woke up quite early today and I've written a to do list for the first time in a while, so am going to try and get a few things done.

To do:
    1. Phone protect your bubble (as I've smashed my phone)
    2. Laundry
    3. Go a walk (I think I've been averaging about a thousand steps a day so really need to get moving again)
    4. Shower
    5. Go to bed by 10.30

It's not the grandest to do list (and there's far more stuff I actually need to do) but it's enough for today I think. If I can manage all of this I will be proud
    • Silver Queen
    • By Silver Queen 7th Sep 18, 10:25 AM
    • 513 Posts
    • 2,290 Thanks
    Silver Queen
    Sorry to hear that things have been hard for your lately.

No matter what, your mental health absolutely comes first. It's OK if you have little blips on the debt and weight loss as long as you look after yourself first.

I completely know what you mean re: marshmallow. Hopefully your GP will be able to help.

Have you had any CBT? Perhaps that would help you?

Always here to talk, give excellent advice (of course) and dish out a bit of tough love if necessary. PM me. You know how much of a mess I am so I won't judge, promise
    • BelleOfBilboa
    • By BelleOfBilboa 7th Sep 18, 10:29 AM
    • 29 Posts
    • 70 Thanks
    BelleOfBilboa
    Oh lonelyrat sorry to hear you are feeling so low

I am no expert but your to do list may help you get back on track! One step at a time I do think your walking was doing you the world of good, if you do one thing today, go for your walk and take in your surroundings.

Hope you feel better soon xx
    Next 362.91/0; Natwest OD 2000/2000; Natwest Loan 1692.50/979.53; CDL 5700/4870; Bank of M&D 2710.35/1965.35 DFD 31/12/19

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,763Posts Today

7,251Users online

Martin's Twitter