Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • lonelyrat
    • By lonelyrat 18th Oct 17, 7:48 PM
    • 441Posts
    • 1,088Thanks
    lonelyrat
    LonelyRat's (not so lonely) Road to Riches
    • 18th Oct 17, 7:48 PM
    LonelyRat's (not so lonely) Road to Riches 18th Oct 17 at 7:48 PM
    Hello everyone I have been posting for a few months now over on the general Debt Free Wannabe board but have decided what I'm wanting to do seems more like a Debt Free Diary, so here I am!

I started trying to tackle my situation in June with around 7,500 of debt and no clue what to do about it. I made a basic, confused, sort of plan to tackle it and got cracking... I managed to make a tiny dent but wasn't doing particularly much and still felt completely overwhelmed. One night, after a few (read: many) wines, a desperate internet search for "help, debt" brought me here. I began reading through other people's threads and started to get a better idea of what I should be doing (hello snowballing - how had I not heard of you?!). In August I got the balls together to post my first thread. I got some good advice, began to feel more motivated and focused and, above all, started to feel like there was light at the end of the tunnel

There are a number of reasons why I want to start this diary. Most importantly I feel like it will help me be more accountable for my actions. I've made a series of poor decisions which have led me to the money mess I'm in now. I need to unlearn bad habits and by writing everything down and checking in a few times a week I'm hoping to start reprogramming myself.

Some general info about me and my life:
    I have just turned 27 *shudder* and am partnered up with OH. We have been together a few years and live together with his parents in Bonny Scotland. A few months ago as we used to rent a flat together but really couldn't afford it so we've moved in with his parents to reduce outgoings and get this debt busted with the ultimate aim of saving towards a deposit (something that seemed completely unattainable even just a few months ago). I work in a dead end customer service role at a bank and he is a student who is currently in his last year of study (hallelujah)!

Hobbies for me include drinking wine, but I am attempting to cut this down and have gone sober for October. Hopefully I can carry it on indefinitely!

I got paid yesterday so money has been allocated to where it needs to go and here are my most up to date balances:

Current Debt / Debt at first DFW post

Overdraft 1 950 / 1950
    Overdraft 2 83 / 450
    Loan 472.29 / 770
    Santander CC 2744.45 / 2770.90
    Very BNPL 263.98 / 288.98
    Capital One (1) 0 / 404.25
    Capital One (2) 0 / 179
    Barclaycard 0 / 390

Total Debt 4513.72 / 7203.13

If anyone is interested in my short journey so far it can be found here: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5690629#topofpage
    Last edited by lonelyrat; 01-05-2018 at 9:19 AM. Reason: Edited to make less lengthy
    Total Debt : 1723.49 / 7266.93
    Weight Loss: 19.2 / 45kg
Page 20
    • lonelyrat
    • By lonelyrat 3rd Aug 18, 8:46 AM
    • 441 Posts
    • 1,088 Thanks
    lonelyrat
    Oh I forgot - I got the letter from Easyjet (finally). They've sent me the wrong thing Need to gear myself up to contact them again. We're now 5 months from when my flight was cancelled ....
    • lonelyrat
    • By lonelyrat 3rd Aug 18, 8:47 AM
    • 441 Posts
    • 1,088 Thanks
    lonelyrat
    Oh! I also forgot.... *drum roll please* .... I have been here for 1 year It's my birthday
    • Toni'sfriend
    • By Toni'sfriend 3rd Aug 18, 8:49 AM
    • 1,639 Posts
    • 15,616 Thanks
    Toni'sfriend
    I love Edinburgh. Have a lovely day.
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 3rd Aug 18, 9:13 AM
    • 1,975 Posts
    • 12,179 Thanks
    redofromstart
    Happy Birthday Lonelyrat
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 3rd Aug 18, 5:41 PM
    • 3,420 Posts
    • 18,633 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    And what a difference a year can make
    Emergency fund 700/1000
    If not now then when?
    • Scott-Weiland
    • By Scott-Weiland 3rd Aug 18, 5:59 PM
    • 283 Posts
    • 598 Thanks
    Scott-Weiland
    Happy Birthday Lady have a cracking day x
    Cashback Earnings Ish YTD 73.92 Survey Earnings YTD Ish 486.84
    "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit."
    • lonelyrat
    • By lonelyrat 3rd Aug 18, 8:12 PM
    • 441 Posts
    • 1,088 Thanks
    lonelyrat
    Thanks guys

A whole year of MSE.... Oh my, how things have changed! This time last year I was still drowning, unsure that I would ever get us out of the mess we were in. Now things are on the up. Still in debt, but hey ho. We're almost there There's been ups and downs but I've loved keeping this diary. It's so much more than just moneysaving. You've all been so lovely and wise and helpful and I'm very grateful for everything and everyone.

Here's to busting the last of this debt, then many more years of moneysaving

Lovely day today but am well and truly knackered. Arthur's seat done and dusted... Silly me took us the wrong route and we ended up almost rock climbing up But we backtracked and made it up eventually. Wonderful views and well worth my sore legs now.

Stopped by my grans for a few hours before heading home and was lovely to have a catch up I don't see her enough so really want to try harder. She's only an hour away, I need to make the time more often.
    Last edited by lonelyrat; 03-08-2018 at 8:14 PM.
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 3rd Aug 18, 9:22 PM
    • 3,420 Posts
    • 18,633 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Is that Arthur's seat in mid Lothian near Hawthornden castle or am I way off the mark?

You are nearing the end of your debt journey. I felt elated when the end was in sight but strangely anxious too. Such a good idea to start a savings journey as soon as you are debt free. A new focus will be good
    Emergency fund 700/1000
    If not now then when?
    • Scott-Weiland
    • By Scott-Weiland 3rd Aug 18, 10:10 PM
    • 283 Posts
    • 598 Thanks
    Scott-Weiland
    Thanks guys

A whole year of MSE.... Oh my, how things have changed! This time last year I was still drowning, unsure that I would ever get us out of the mess we were in. Now things are on the up. Still in debt, but hey ho. We're almost there There's been ups and downs but I've loved keeping this diary. It's so much more than just moneysaving. You've all been so lovely and wise and helpful and I'm very grateful for everything and everyone.

Here's to busting the last of this debt, then many more years of moneysaving

Lovely day today but am well and truly knackered. Arthur's seat done and dusted... Silly me took us the wrong route and we ended up almost rock climbing up But we backtracked and made it up eventually. Wonderful views and well worth my sore legs now.

Stopped by my grans for a few hours before heading home and was lovely to have a catch up I don't see her enough so really want to try harder. She's only an hour away, I need to make the time more often.
    Originally posted by lonelyrat
    Haha you should use strava so we can all follow your walks and keep you motivated
    • lonelyrat
    • By lonelyrat 4th Aug 18, 9:59 AM
    • 441 Posts
    • 1,088 Thanks
    lonelyrat
    Sort of close DIA ... About a twenty minute drive north so not technically in midlothian I don't think. My geography is a bit skewiff though so I could be wrong

Scott - I will have a look at Strava! I'll get it for Arran

Today will be a nothing day... Legs are still protesting from yesterday so am just going to take it easy and faff around today.

Need to go to Aldi to get some milk and sparkling water (99p for a 4 pack of 2 litre bottles!!!! Costs 1.50 in Tesco and 1.09 in Asda. Considering the amount of sparking water and squash I drink the savings are adding up )
    • Scott-Weiland
    • By Scott-Weiland 4th Aug 18, 11:48 AM
    • 283 Posts
    • 598 Thanks
    Scott-Weiland
    Hi Lonely you may as well its free and i have used it for running and cycling and its good. It canny too because if you use anything like myfitnesspal ie the diet bit it feeds what ever walking etc into that app. And as a result it tells you how many extra calories you can eat.

I know the feeling re doing nothing more 9.3mile run done le walk around like a cripple time.
    • lonelyrat
    • By lonelyrat 5th Aug 18, 6:31 PM
    • 441 Posts
    • 1,088 Thanks
    lonelyrat
    Hahaha Scott I'm actually still suffering today.... I think it was all the stairs They were more than half the size of my legs so I was having to leap up them haha. Tomorrow I will just be resting (again) ... Don't wanna end up going off to Arran and being too sore still.

Last day of work done for 8 whole days
    Sorted a packing list and was asking OH what waterproof he's going to take and he doesn't want to he thinks a hoodie will be fine. It's going to rain three days that we're there and we're planning on doing loads of walks/ climbing the Goat Fell so unsure how he thinks he'll be fine in a hoodie BUT I don't want to nag him.

I'm just worried as if he gets cold/ wet/ uncomfortable he's going to get grouchy and moan at me. Which will not make the trip vey pleasant for either of us

I'm quite practical and he's very easy breezy and I think there's more friction than normal for some reason. We went to boots as I wanted to get first aid supplies and he made me feel like a looney for wanting to buy antiseptic cream/ plasters etc. I just feel like I would rather have stuff and never need it than either one of us takes a fall/ hurts ourselves and we don't have anything.

I also just bought him some quite expensive walking shoes so his feet are more comfy (he gets bad blisters too) and he isn't very appreciative. I think he's just getting used to me getting stuff for him and I don't want him to get too comfy or he'll never actually properly look for a job.

Anyway... Grumble over. Just feeling a bit on edge I think and OH not helping

Tonight I want to find some new books to put on my Kindle so will faff around online for a bit then think OH wants to watch some more Game of Thrones. It's the first time I'm re-watching Season 1 again and it's so fast paced, it's really good. The newer seasons seem to take ages to get going but this one is straight into it.

Tomorrow
    1. Laundry
    2. Hoover
    3. Pack
    4. Update Spreadsheet
    5. Snoop on Diaries
    6. Aldi or Asda for snacks (breakfast bars/ nuts etc.)

Happy Sunday everyone.
    • lonelyrat
    • By lonelyrat 5th Aug 18, 6:35 PM
    • 441 Posts
    • 1,088 Thanks
    lonelyrat
    I think I will pack his waterproof in my backpack and just not tell him That way if he needs it he can have it but he'll have to admit I was right first
    • Toni'sfriend
    • By Toni'sfriend 5th Aug 18, 7:09 PM
    • 1,639 Posts
    • 15,616 Thanks
    Toni'sfriend
    I would definitely take a waterproof even in summer. The weather is very unpredictable. And you are quite right tot take medicines, snacks, etc. It's an island and can be expensive for things like that. I think people sometimes underestimate the lack of shops in rural type areas. We had a friend who went to Barra where her husband had been born and she asked where the nearest M & S was. Inverness?
    • lonelyrat
    • By lonelyrat 6th Aug 18, 11:58 AM
    • 441 Posts
    • 1,088 Thanks
    lonelyrat
    Toni'sfriend - thanks for backing me up haha! Exactly right... I dont want to risk it weather-wise or end up relying on shops there too much for stuff. I just like being prepared Just faffing around now waiting till I can wake up OH then will get on with the day. So, so happy that I'm off work for the indefinite. I feel very free which is nice... Despite my grumble yesterday I feel like things are on the up mood-wise (hopefully).

To Do:
    1. Laundry
    Got a load on now (full of OH's clothes). Will be done in 5 mins then will put in the tumble. Not pegging out weather unfortunately.
    2. Hoover
    OH will do this later. One thing I really dislike doing is hoovering and I'm very lucky that he usually agrees to do it
    3. Pack
    Have found my old 50L backpack in the shed so need to give that a bit of an air out/ clean. I wrote a list of stuff to pack so once the bag is less foosty and OH's clothes are dry I'll crack on with that.
    4. Update Spreadsheet
    Did this when I woke up - feeling very organised and calm money-wise. Transferred Arran spending out of my savings into my current so we are good to go.
    5. Snoop on Diaries
    Will have a nosey this evening
    6. Aldi or Asda for snacks (breakfast bars/ nuts etc.)
    Going to wake up OH at 12 and then jump to the shops and get snacks.
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 6th Aug 18, 12:15 PM
    • 3,420 Posts
    • 18,633 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Great to hear your mood is on the up.

The calm that descends when the money situation is going according to plan is lovely isn't it? So much better than the panic and fire fighting when there is no plan!

Have a good day
    Emergency fund 700/1000
    If not now then when?
    • dustydigger
    • By dustydigger 6th Aug 18, 2:25 PM
    • 639 Posts
    • 2,106 Thanks
    dustydigger
    Wow! I turn away for a or two day and come back and find 18 unread posts!Happy first birthday. Mine will be end of November.
    Ah,Scottish weather. I once went youth hosteling in my schooldays,think I was 17,one of the happiest memories I have. The first week it rained unceasingly,the second we were burned to a crisp!
    But all that walking in the rain for 4 or 5 hours a day made our skins beautifully soft.Perhaps we were waterlogged!Yep,definitely take the waterproofs
    Last edited by dustydigger; 06-08-2018 at 2:29 PM.

SPC 2018 # 012 -
    2 Savers 2018 #19 178 Tesc* Xmas Savers 61.56
    Icel@nd bonus card 14 House & Home Fund 2018 - 322 (plus 174 from 2017 = 496)
    weight loss : 0/7lb AF Mar-Sep 208 days+ Oct 13/24 Books read Oct 4/8 Prolific 12.25

• lonelyrat
    • By lonelyrat 6th Aug 18, 7:15 PM
    • 441 Posts
    • 1,088 Thanks
    lonelyrat
    Doingitanyway I'm glad too The calm is lovely... I allowed us more spending money this month than usual (but siphoned some into savings for Arran) and it's seemed a lot easier. Can't wait until OH gets a job though... Then things will definitely be on the up.

Thanks Dusty! A year... Feels pretty crazy. OH has relented and has agreed to a waterproof so I am happy. He won't bring any trousers though, only shorts. We have midgie spray but don't know how reliable it will be... If he gets his legs bitten then that's on him. Have told him I will accept no moaning Haha Dusty that's Scottish weather down to a T... You can have four seasons all in one day I hope if it is raining a lot my skin gets nice and soft too....

Have now packed and our room is lovely and clean so feeling relaxed. OH dad will drop us at the station tomorrow so don't need to walk which is nice.

Will not be on while we're away .... So happy money-saving everyone and will check in when we're back xx
    • Scott-Weiland
    • By Scott-Weiland 6th Aug 18, 7:17 PM
    • 283 Posts
    • 598 Thanks
    Scott-Weiland
    Doingitanyway I'm glad too The calm is lovely... I allowed us more spending money this month than usual (but siphoned some into savings for Arran) and it's seemed a lot easier. Can't wait until OH gets a job though... Then things will definitely be on the up.

Thanks Dusty! A year... Feels pretty crazy. OH has relented and has agreed to a waterproof so I am happy. He won't bring any trousers though, only shorts. We have midgie spray but don't know how reliable it will be... If he gets his legs bitten then that's on him. Have told him I will accept no moaning Haha Dusty that's Scottish weather down to a T... You can have four seasons all in one day I hope if it is raining a lot my skin gets nice and soft too....

Have now packed and our room is lovely and clean so feeling relaxed. OH dad will drop us at the station tomorrow so don't need to walk which is nice.

Will not be on while we're away .... So happy money-saving everyone and will check in when we're back xx
    Originally posted by lonelyrat
    Haha buy him some citronella buggy stuff the bugs wont go near him and neither will you probably lol
    • Toni'sfriend
    • By Toni'sfriend 6th Aug 18, 7:23 PM
    • 1,639 Posts
    • 15,616 Thanks
    Toni'sfriend
    Have a lovely time, Lonelyrat.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,806Posts Today

8,409Users online

Martin's Twitter