Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • lonelyrat
    • By lonelyrat 18th Oct 17, 7:48 PM
    • 425Posts
    • 1,033Thanks
    lonelyrat
    LonelyRat's (not so lonely) Road to Riches
    • 18th Oct 17, 7:48 PM
    LonelyRat's (not so lonely) Road to Riches 18th Oct 17 at 7:48 PM
    Hello everyone I have been posting for a few months now over on the general Debt Free Wannabe board but have decided what I'm wanting to do seems more like a Debt Free Diary, so here I am!

I started trying to tackle my situation in June with around 7,500 of debt and no clue what to do about it. I made a basic, confused, sort of plan to tackle it and got cracking... I managed to make a tiny dent but wasn't doing particularly much and still felt completely overwhelmed. One night, after a few (read: many) wines, a desperate internet search for "help, debt" brought me here. I began reading through other people's threads and started to get a better idea of what I should be doing (hello snowballing - how had I not heard of you?!). In August I got the balls together to post my first thread. I got some good advice, began to feel more motivated and focused and, above all, started to feel like there was light at the end of the tunnel

There are a number of reasons why I want to start this diary. Most importantly I feel like it will help me be more accountable for my actions. I've made a series of poor decisions which have led me to the money mess I'm in now. I need to unlearn bad habits and by writing everything down and checking in a few times a week I'm hoping to start reprogramming myself.

Some general info about me and my life:
    I have just turned 27 *shudder* and am partnered up with OH. We have been together a few years and live together with his parents in Bonny Scotland. A few months ago as we used to rent a flat together but really couldn't afford it so we've moved in with his parents to reduce outgoings and get this debt busted with the ultimate aim of saving towards a deposit (something that seemed completely unattainable even just a few months ago). I work in a dead end customer service role at a bank and he is a student who is currently in his last year of study (hallelujah)!

Hobbies for me include drinking wine, but I am attempting to cut this down and have gone sober for October. Hopefully I can carry it on indefinitely!

I got paid yesterday so money has been allocated to where it needs to go and here are my most up to date balances:

Current Debt / Debt at first DFW post

Overdraft 1 950 / 1950
    Overdraft 2 83 / 450
    Loan 472.29 / 770
    Santander CC 2744.45 / 2770.90
    Very BNPL 263.98 / 288.98
    Capital One (1) 0 / 404.25
    Capital One (2) 0 / 179
    Barclaycard 0 / 390

Total Debt 4513.72 / 7203.13

If anyone is interested in my short journey so far it can be found here: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5690629#topofpage
    Last edited by lonelyrat; 01-05-2018 at 9:19 AM. Reason: Edited to make less lengthy
    Total Debt : 1723.49 / 7266.93
    Weight Loss: 19.2 / 45kg
Page 18
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 6th Jul 18, 6:06 PM
    • 3,292 Posts
    • 17,706 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Yoga with Adrianne is great but she put persistent cookies on my computer that I can't remove so instead of being zen I've started hating her...

I cleaned and decluttered my kitchen today so I know what you mean about the calm it generates

Haha, theres no shame in loving MnS. Me too...

And what is it about fairy lights. I turn them on and find instant happiness
    Emergency fund 500/1000
    If not now then when?
    • lonelyrat
    • By lonelyrat 6th Jul 18, 9:59 PM
    • 425 Posts
    • 1,033 Thanks
    lonelyrat
    Thanks Scott - will certainly have a look! Excited to put my new found space to good use!

doingitanyway I loooove fairy lights... They just make the room so cosy! It's really light here in the evenings at the moment so I'm usually asleep by the time the sun sets so don't get the full effect, but in winter they are brilliant!

Got up early and went on my walk (20,072 ) Walked to the lochs which took an hour and a half, did a lap and spent some time dog watching on a bench (not at all creepy ) then walked back again. It was great but now I'm pooped and also a tiny bit burnt on my shoulders. Probably what I deserve after having a chuckle at OH's predicament the other day.

Tomorrow after work am meeting OH and we're going to pop into M&S and see if there's anything good in store then head to Boots. Weigh in day and feeling a bit nervy as I didn't go last week... Am just worried I won't have lost anything at all. Fingers crossed that isn't the case.

41 days

p.s did not do the easy jet letter....
    • lonelyrat
    • By lonelyrat 7th Jul 18, 5:05 PM
    • 425 Posts
    • 1,033 Thanks
    lonelyrat
    Went to M&S after work and may have lost the plot a bit ... Got 2 pairs of sports leggings, 2 vests, a fleece and a dress. Thought it was all a brilliant idea at the time but have now re-considered.

Will be returning 1 pair of sports leggings and the dress. Wasn't too pricey as everything was in the sale but the items I'm returning were impulse spends whereas the others had been planned. OH didn't end up meeting me in town and I feel that is also a reason I spent more than I should have... If he was there he would have been grumbling at me to hurry up!

Am off work tomorrow so will take a trip (and bring OH with) to return the impulse buys.

Went to boots and weighed myself - was very nervy as I hadn't gone last week and was so worried it would be a gain BUT I lost 2.3 kg So am still on track

Currently faffing around waiting for OH to finish helping his dad with something then we are off a walk. Going to the same place I went yesterday but this time will drive and just do a few laps. I'm at 6000 steps already so shouldn't take too long.

To do tomorrow:
    1. Easyjet letter (no excuses this time)
    2. Laundry
    3. Return impulse spends
    4. 10,000 steps

Going to be a pretty chilled day which will be nice... Need to gear up for next week as am doing a little bit of overtime and it always seems to take it out of me.

40 days
    • lonelyrat
    • By lonelyrat 8th Jul 18, 9:38 AM
    • 425 Posts
    • 1,033 Thanks
    lonelyrat
    To do:
    1. Easyjet letter (no excuses this time)
    Done done done done done!!!! Took all of 5 minutes... Not sure why some things seem so damn difficult when really they aren't. Will get OH to print and go post later today.
    2. Laundry
    Just pegged out - cloudy today but supposedly going to clear up later on. Still warm though so will hope there isn't any surprise rain.
    3. Return impulse spends
    Will also return the vest tops as well... I can get the same in Primark for a a pound or two less.
    4. 10,000 steps
    Going out now - was going to wait for OH then go to Strathclyde park BUT he was up until 6.30 this morning It was someones birthday and he came to bed absolutely steaming... Was very funny but I know I'm not going to be able to get him up for about 6 hours. I know when I get him up he will be a massive grouch as well so I would rather just go on my own

Was getting very excited that I am so close to being debt free but then realised I think I may have miscalculated something somewhere... Santander card will be paid come pay day (woohoo) but there's still 650 on Virgin. I had calculated that somehow I was going to clear that in August... But I only get paid 750ish so unsure how I had worked that one out.

I think I may have added the 250 insurance (which I don't have yet) and the 250 deposit (which has been spent on Arran) on to the spreadsheet and not taken them off. Silly me... I had thought it all seemed a bit too good to be true

Have had a rejig and will clear it in September so still well within the interest free period.

Little annoyed at myself for getting it wrong and taking my eye off the ball but don't mind it taking one more month. Especially as we get to go on a holiday I'm so excitable it's silly... I think because Copenhagen was a no go I'm just itching to get away - even just somewhere in Scotland!

70 days (for what? The third time now? )
    • dustydigger
    • By dustydigger 8th Jul 18, 1:22 PM
    • 594 Posts
    • 2,009 Thanks
    dustydigger
    Hi Lonelyrat!I'm very remiss, I havent visited your thread for ages,I had about 50 posts to read!
    You are doing so well. And good to see you returning the impulse buys,the lady of a year ago wouldnt have even thought of it!
    Sorry about the demise of the last of your ratty friends.Losing pets is so sad.I remember when we lost 3 cats in three years,because we live beside a major road. We have plenty of space with hedges,trees and bushes galore behind the house,but those cats insisted on crossing the road in front of the house,streaking across in front of buses and cars repeatedly.I gave up on pets after that,too much heartbreak.
    So envious of your walking prowess,10,000 steps seem to be a doddle to you I am suffering badly with the neuropathy in my feet,the legacy of the diabetes,and I am not getting out much,and I see the sad result in the weight gain! Well done on your great weight loss, I'm sureyou are feeling the benefits.
    Keep up the good work

SPC 2018 # 012 -
    2 Savers 2018 #19 154 Tesc* Xmas Savers 25.85
    Icel@nd bonus card 16 House & Home Fund 2018 - 277 (plus 174 from 2017 = 451)
    weight loss :3/7lb AF Mar-Aug 178 days+ Sep 18/24 Books read Sep 9/12 Prolific 4.75

• doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 8th Jul 18, 1:31 PM
    • 3,292 Posts
    • 17,706 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    All your steps must have contributed to your weight loss. Well done.

A holiday in Scotland will be lovely too. It is such a beautiful country
    Emergency fund 500/1000
    If not now then when?
    • lonelyrat
    • By lonelyrat 9th Jul 18, 3:37 PM
    • 425 Posts
    • 1,033 Thanks
    lonelyrat
    Hello Dusty! A lot of waffle and not much interesting content I'm sure! Thank you, I will miss him (will miss them all) BUT they did have good lives and were very, very loved. Will be pet free for the foreseeable (pet free, debt free, alcohol free? new diary name for when the time comes!?? )

Impulse buys have not been taken back yet but they will be tomorrow after work It's for the best... I had planned for certain spends and I got what I needed, just got sucked in by the thought of NEW stuff. I think because I've dropped a dress size or two I was overly excitable in the changing room because everything looked nicer/ fit well. But the aim is to lose more weight so no point getting clothes now!!

Trust me 10,000 is not a doddle for me yet! One day, maybe, it will be but not quite yet! Have only done 3,189 today so far walking to home from the station. OH asleep (as per usual) but once he wakes up we're going to go a walk. Determined to get him fitter for our holiday too!

Speaking about OH turns out on Sunday night when he was steaming he went on his Very to order an X-box (as you do?!) ... Thankfully he didn't go ahead with it but turns out he has a balance on Very that neither of us had thought about when I was trying to sort out his debt.
    It's 750 and it's various tech bits on BNPL until October Am just going to leave it as is for now but we will need to deal with that at some point as well which is frustrating. Hopefully he gets a job ASAP and it can be sorted sooner rather than later. If worst comes to worst I can always pay it with the Virgin card but I would really rather avoid that. We'll see where we stand in the next few months.

His other debt is pretty much all sorted... He only has one cc left to pay and he received a 0% balance transfer offer through the post from a cc he paid off a few months ago so will be transferring the one he still has to pay to that so we don't pay any interest.

Feeling a wee bit stressed money-wise, just feel like it's a step forward followed by two steps back. But I am confident we will still get there... This development doesn't technically affect my DFD it's just come as a surprise and will need to be dealt with at some point.

Thanks doingitanyway - I do think it's contributed! I like getting out myself sometimes as well... It can be a bit of a madhouse here sometimes and is just nice to get out on my own for a bit and just listen to music/ plod along. Did 13,714 yesterday so ended the week well

Money still good for the rest of the month. Am managing to be very frugal this month and not quite sure why/ how but am happy with it. Still got a tenner in my purse for emergencies and some loose change as well. A grand total of 50p in my Monzo as I sent OH 12.04 for some computer game thing the other day. Can't foresee needing to buy anything in the next 8 - 9 days before payday so think we will be fine. This payday will be paying off the Santander card then transferring some money into savings to keep separate until Arran
    • BelleOfBilboa
    • By BelleOfBilboa 9th Jul 18, 5:39 PM
    • 25 Posts
    • 62 Thanks
    BelleOfBilboa
    It may have taken me two days but I have finally read through your whole diary
    You have done so well clearing your debt and not long to go until you can finally say you're debt free!! I'm feeling very inspired and ready to tackle my own debt!
    I'm quite new to this but I'll subscribe so I never miss a post

Next 362.91/0; Natwest OD 2000/2000; Natwest Loan 1692.50/1346.18; CDL 5700/5290; Bank of M&D 2710.35/2260.35 DFD 31/12/19

• lonelyrat
    • By lonelyrat 11th Jul 18, 9:00 AM
    • 425 Posts
    • 1,033 Thanks
    lonelyrat
    Hi Belle Thanks for popping in.... I admire your determination with my thread, it can be a bit of a roller coaster haha!

Day off today thankfully so going to go a walk then mooch around the house. Feeling a bit down today but no real reason for it. Will try and have a nice, relaxing day and hopefully my mood will improve.

Just been on Amazon putting things in my basket for payday (midgie repellent, a walking guide book of Arran and a book on trees I've been eyeing up for a while!) and there was a promo for the Amazon card - if you apply you get a 25 gift voucher. So I went ahead and did it and got my stuff for free I don't actually want the card so will cancel it soon. Had the card sent to my dad's address so I never need to see it.

Went for a walk with OH after work yesterday and I wanted to go inspect a tree as I thought there were mushrooms growing out of it but couldn't be sure. Off I trot to go investigate and I step in what I thought was just a small (about a meter and a half long) shallow bit of mud... Turns out it was very, very swampy and I sunk in up to my calves! Had to throw myself forward and push myself out onto the ground with my arms on the other side. I was seriously, seriously mucky.

OH just stood on the other side laughing at me refusing to attempt to come over. The tree was indeed covered in white/ brown mushrooms which was interesting but not really worth the faff to get there Getting back to where OH was I had to kind of do a running leap to get over the swamp and almost fell in again! I got some seriously funny looks from other walkers when we started off again and OH needed to hose my trainers AND me off when we got home. Lesson learned.

Did 13,150 steps and think the swamp situation took it out of me because I was asleep by 21.43 yesterday according to my fitbit.

Going to go my walk now and walk back via Tesco. Am out of squash and special K so need to stock up. I go through a lot of squash since I stopped drinking alcohol and fizzy juice Good news is I like the own brand stuff so it's not too pricey. Will need to break into my emergency tenner to get it but only 6 days till payday so not feeling too upset about that.
    • Silver Queen
    • By Silver Queen 11th Jul 18, 10:12 AM
    • 464 Posts
    • 2,116 Thanks
    Silver Queen
    Went for a walk with OH after work yesterday and I wanted to go inspect a tree as I thought there were mushrooms growing out of it but couldn't be sure. Off I trot to go investigate and I step in what I thought was just a small (about a meter and a half long) shallow bit of mud... Turns out it was very, very swampy and I sunk in up to my calves! Had to throw myself forward and push myself out onto the ground with my arms on the other side. I was seriously, seriously mucky.

OH just stood on the other side laughing at me refusing to attempt to come over. The tree was indeed covered in white/ brown mushrooms which was interesting but not really worth the faff to get there Getting back to where OH was I had to kind of do a running leap to get over the swamp and almost fell in again! I got some seriously funny looks from other walkers when we started off again and OH needed to hose my trainers AND me off when we got home. Lesson learned.
    Originally posted by lonelyrat

Sometimes I read stuff like this and I wonder if we're not actually the same person what a sticky situation!

Are you good at identifying mushrooms? I find it fascinating but I have no knowledge of them whatsoever, so I normally just spend ages looking at them trying to google what they are...
    Debt Totals September 2018::
    350 Natwest Credit Card / Now 0 (paid off and closed 04/2017) 15,500 postgrad loan from parents/ Now 9,250 500 train ticket loan from parents / Now 0 (paid off 16/02/18) 2,000 Overdraft Now 0 (paid off 09/03/18)
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 11th Jul 18, 11:36 AM
    • 1,937 Posts
    • 11,898 Thanks
    redofromstart
    Yes that sounds like the kind of thing I do too. Hope your trainers recovered?
    • lonelyrat
    • By lonelyrat 11th Jul 18, 8:53 PM
    • 425 Posts
    • 1,033 Thanks
    lonelyrat
    Silver Queen we may actually be I am no good at identifying mushrooms. In fact, I have never identified a mushroom before! These ones just piqued my interest and I wanted to have a go at *trying* to identify them. Bad news for the tree that had these ones though as I have read it is likely a sign that the tree is "suffering from a fungal disease or internal decay." According to google anyway.... By finding out which type of mushroom it is I can then figure out what plan of action to take to treat the tree. In my head this is now my tree and I am a tree surgeon... I am aware that this is not the case though but it's fun to pretend.

It looks most closely like an oyster mushroom but I can't be sure and I didn't take a picture. It shall remain a mystery it seems!

I would like to get good at all this nature business. I've wanted the tree book that's on it's way to me for quite a while. It's pocket size and has pictures and descriptions so will be fun to take out on my walks. The plan is to get reasonably well informed about trees then move on to other flora or, potentially, birds.

redofromstart I actually thought I was stuck for a minute, I had to hustle to pull myself out because I think I would have just kept sinking! Would like to think my OH would have stepped in to help pull me out but he was far too busy laughing. Trainers are A-OK thankfully! They're light grey so I was resigned to the fact that they may stain and be a kind of poo colour forever but OH managed to work some magic on them. He hosed them off outside then when I was in the shower went at them with some Vanish in the kitchen sink. They've been out on the washing line drying and the results are in - they're sparkling clean. He's a good egg.

Have had a lovely day but am very achy. Went for a 10k walk earlier on my todd which was really nice. I went exploring someplace I've never walked before and ended up outside the town on top of a hill which had a lovely view. Walked home via Tesco and got my squash and cereal. They had a big basket of Bran Flakes reduced to clear so I got a box of them rather than Special K. Hopefully they hang around until I get paid and I can stock up as I always alternate between the two.

Did 13,761 steps and also got the dumbbells out for a wee arm workout. I have strong legs but really, really weak arms so trying to get a bit stronger. Just did ten minutes but my arms are feeling it. Plan will be to do every other day and see how we get on.

Candles have now been lit, fairy lights have been turned on and I am about to climb into bed and sort my face. Have laid out my clothes for work tomorrow and OH and I have just changed the bed sheets so feeling very relaxed and comfy. I love having fresh sheets, makes getting into bed feel a bit special
    • lonelyrat
    • By lonelyrat 13th Jul 18, 8:25 AM
    • 425 Posts
    • 1,033 Thanks
    lonelyrat
    OH has decided we are off on an adventure today! Very excited as I am usually the organiser, not him. Not sure exactly where we are off to but he has said there are waterfalls involved

He has, however, fallen back asleep now so unsure if I should wake him up or if this is all part of the plan

Pocket tree book arrived yesterday so will be bringing that with me to try and begin my treeducation.

Have twenty pounds in my direct debit account which was acting as a buffer in case anything unexpected happened but will need to use some of that for fuel today I think - it's OK though as payday should be in 5/6 days
    • Silver Queen
    • By Silver Queen 13th Jul 18, 9:09 AM
    • 464 Posts
    • 2,116 Thanks
    Silver Queen
    Your OH reminds me of my OH lonelyrat...

Funny story. For my OH's birthday a couple of years back I took him on a surprise holiday to Paris. It was really lovely and we had a great time and I felt smug for ages afterwards about being the best at birthdays.

Fast forward to my birthday about 6 months later. He made a huge fuss and told me he was going to take me somewhere that I would love and it was a big surprise as to where. He was talking about it for weeks.

He took me to the woods with a stop in the co-op along the way for a picnic it's the thought that counts....
    Debt Totals September 2018::
    350 Natwest Credit Card / Now 0 (paid off and closed 04/2017) 15,500 postgrad loan from parents/ Now 9,250 500 train ticket loan from parents / Now 0 (paid off 16/02/18) 2,000 Overdraft Now 0 (paid off 09/03/18)
    • lonelyrat
    • By lonelyrat 13th Jul 18, 7:43 PM
    • 425 Posts
    • 1,033 Thanks
    lonelyrat
    Haha 100% the thought that counts! OH asked me this morning to book my birthday off work as he is going to plan something... I am pretty confident his idea will be similar to your OH's!

Can't fault him today though ... Was wonderful. Drove to Callendar then went on a walk to the Bracklinn falls. It was great The falls were really beautiful so we hung around there just dangling our legs over the water and admiring the scenery for a while, then we climbed up through some forestry (was a very steep climb! OH was threatening to give up at one point ) and came out at the top of a glen surrounded by sheep. I did get a bit mucky again and the newly clean trainers have become poo coloured once more... Was walking through some growth near a pool and the ground got pretty swampy. Thankfully I realised and quickly retreated, before I could sink in, but I did get a bit mucky again

I successfully identified my first tree! Am feeling very proud Was a Scots Pine. I was sitting down for a fair bit fiddling with cones / inspecting needles / consulting my pocket guide while OH moaned about the bugs. The trees were huge but I think were still relatively young as they were conical at the top and apparently they become flat topped when they are older.

The aim will be to identify one new tree every walk I go on and eventually I will start recognising them, hopefully.

The walk was circular and we did 15,802 steps which was quite solid. The end part was downhill which was very much appreciated by the both of us! We then went and got lunch in a pub in Callender. OH had fish and chips (as usual) and I had bruschetta. Spent 15 on lunch for us which we took from our joint overdraft. Feeling a little guilty about it, but it will be paid back in a couple of days when I'm paid. Have added it to the spreadsheet and adjusted spending money for next month a wee bit.

After lunch we had a walk through the town which was very quaint. Also started to walk around a sort of lake near the car park but OH was a bit pooped so we called it a day. He's now passed out on the bed next to me, poor thing.

Tomorrow we're going to go a walk near where I went the other day as I had spotted a "community nature reserve" that I've never seen before. Just did some digging and looks pretty sweet. Apparently it's home to deer and water vole
    • lonelyrat
    • By lonelyrat 15th Jul 18, 6:34 PM
    • 425 Posts
    • 1,033 Thanks
    lonelyrat
    Had a nothing day yesterday... Went for a walk which wrecked me then spent the rest of the day lying down in various locations in the house
    Got some new lavender oil from Amazon which I hadn't used yet so burned some of that last night and ended up falling asleep at half 8 Doesn't smell quite as nice as the stuff I used to get from Holland and Barrett but it's half the price.

Was at work today and finally got the letter from them about the decision from my disciplinary... It's been over a month since the hearing and I was supposed to let them know if I wanted to appeal within 7 days but they only just gave me the outcome letter now. Bit of a mess and good news that I wasn't wanting to appeal!

Feeling very excited for payday (potentially 3 days to go ) as the Santander card will be done - finally! I actually can't wait to see it at 0... This time last year it felt like it was weighing me down and I really had no idea how on earth I was going to get rid of it. Happy days! Just virgin to go then it's time to start saving

Weighed myself after work today and it wasn't great. Only lost 0.4 kg which seems like nothing, but it's still a loss and my body fat % decreased a fair bit since last week so I'm going to look at that as a positive and try and ignore the fact I basically still weigh the same I had set a mini goal which was to lose 3 kg by the time we go to Arran which I think is still possible if I just keep watching what I eat. Was my totm this last week which has had an impact on my mood a little bit and perhaps on my eating as well. Tomorrow is a new day though and am determined to have a good week food / exercise wise.

Money-wise am going to be strict with myself and OH with our budget again this month but have allowed more breathing room in fun money than the last few months. Am wanting to put a chunk of of that into savings for Arran and not touch it until we go Also am 100% not going into the HSBC overdraft this month... It makes me feel really anxious that I'm slipping It's happened a few times in recent months and I don't want it to become a habit so am going to be very conscious of it this month.

OH not properly looked for jobs yet but think next week will be the week Am hoping he finds something that he enjoys. He could get something like I'm doing relatively easily but I don't want him to go down the same route I did. I panicked when I finished uni and just took something to get me cash to pay my rent but working in the environment I do has slowly took away my confidence in myself and it's quite hard work getting it back again.

Have faffed around and done a wee bit of tidying/ cleaning since I got home and am going to pop out at 6.45 for a short walk to get me up to 10,000. When I get back I'm going to get the dumbells out for 10 minutes then OH and I are going to start watching Game of Thrones again from the beginning
    • Toni'sfriend
    • By Toni'sfriend 15th Jul 18, 6:45 PM
    • 1,610 Posts
    • 15,332 Thanks
    Toni'sfriend
    When are you going to Arran? I haven't bee n there in about 40 years (showing my age). Himself and I had an overnight stay in Prestwick a couple of years ago. We got the bus back to Glasgow and the view of Arran was just beautiful. It was winter but a cold, crisp, sunny day and the mountains were covered in snow. It was just fantastic. I do hope you enjoy yourself.
    • Scott-Weiland
    • By Scott-Weiland 16th Jul 18, 12:18 AM
    • 255 Posts
    • 546 Thanks
    Scott-Weiland
    Had a nothing day yesterday... Went for a walk which wrecked me then spent the rest of the day lying down in various locations in the house
    Got some new lavender oil from Amazon which I hadn't used yet so burned some of that last night and ended up falling asleep at half 8 Doesn't smell quite as nice as the stuff I used to get from Holland and Barrett but it's half the price.

Was at work today and finally got the letter from them about the decision from my disciplinary... It's been over a month since the hearing and I was supposed to let them know if I wanted to appeal within 7 days but they only just gave me the outcome letter now. Bit of a mess and good news that I wasn't wanting to appeal!

Feeling very excited for payday (potentially 3 days to go ) as the Santander card will be done - finally! I actually can't wait to see it at 0... This time last year it felt like it was weighing me down and I really had no idea how on earth I was going to get rid of it. Happy days! Just virgin to go then it's time to start saving

Weighed myself after work today and it wasn't great. Only lost 0.4 kg which seems like nothing, but it's still a loss and my body fat % decreased a fair bit since last week so I'm going to look at that as a positive and try and ignore the fact I basically still weigh the same I had set a mini goal which was to lose 3 kg by the time we go to Arran which I think is still possible if I just keep watching what I eat. Was my totm this last week which has had an impact on my mood a little bit and perhaps on my eating as well. Tomorrow is a new day though and am determined to have a good week food / exercise wise.

Money-wise am going to be strict with myself and OH with our budget again this month but have allowed more breathing room in fun money than the last few months. Am wanting to put a chunk of of that into savings for Arran and not touch it until we go Also am 100% not going into the HSBC overdraft this month... It makes me feel really anxious that I'm slipping It's happened a few times in recent months and I don't want it to become a habit so am going to be very conscious of it this month.

OH not properly looked for jobs yet but think next week will be the week Am hoping he finds something that he enjoys. He could get something like I'm doing relatively easily but I don't want him to go down the same route I did. I panicked when I finished uni and just took something to get me cash to pay my rent but working in the environment I do has slowly took away my confidence in myself and it's quite hard work getting it back again.

Have faffed around and done a wee bit of tidying/ cleaning since I got home and am going to pop out at 6.45 for a short walk to get me up to 10,000. When I get back I'm going to get the dumbells out for 10 minutes then OH and I are going to start watching Game of Thrones again from the beginning
    Originally posted by lonelyrat
    Dont be down re the weight loss, a body fat drop is good if you have dropped 1-2 percent bf thats good as an example. Baby steps its the long game. Well done lonely
    Cashback Earnings Ish YTD 72.18 Survey Earnings YTD Ish 429.59
    "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit."
    • lonelyrat
    • By lonelyrat 17th Jul 18, 8:31 PM
    • 425 Posts
    • 1,033 Thanks
    lonelyrat
    Hi Toni'sfriend Going on the 7th of August for a few days... Right in the middle of midgie season I've never been before but looks like it will be a great trip. That sounds very beautiful! A crisp sunny day sounds like it would have been lovely. Am very excited for when we go and hoping we will have it mostly dry when we are there.

Thanks Scott, I'm feeling OK. Was a bit disappointed the number on the scales wasn't lower but I am very aware that it isn't everything. That's why I go to Boots to weigh myself rather than just use our bathroom scales - I want to measure body fat as well. That way even if the weight doesn't decrease I can still see that I'm making progress! I've tried to lose weight in the past and always got disheartened when it didn't happen quickly enough... Trying very hard to be more patient this time!

Work has been a bit meh. Very busy and none of my teammates have been in so have been a bit lonely. Off tomorrow though and OH and I going on another adventure This time we are going to the "whangie" (a rock feature up some hills near Loch Lomond). There's supposedly a scientific explanation for how it was created but there's also a myth that I like more. Apparently the devil was on his way to a meeting with a coven of witches and his tail dragged across the hill creating the whangie

Will be fun! There's also a reservoir near the walk we're going on so will try and incorporate that as well. Have made sandwiches for us from bits we had in so will just be spending on diesel and maybe some juice. I get paid tomorrow so will come from next months spends. Have altered the budget a wee bit to add in extra travel/ diesel costs going forward. Just for the next few months while we're exploring a bit more... This way it doesn't come from general spending so I can track things a bit better. It can be reduced again in winter when I go into hibernation again

Very much looking forward to tomorrow morning. Will wake up early and fiddle with the finances for a bit before I get OH up to go. Will be making my FINAL Santander card payment as soon as I wake up

Feeling very proud. I know the debt isn't gone yet, but I'm almost there... I feel so free in comparison to this time last year I'm still in the same crummy job and we're still skint, BUT I feel like the future is bright.

Either tomorrow evening or Thursday evening I'll be back on to update balances and do some snooping on diaries
    • lonelyrat
    • By lonelyrat 19th Jul 18, 10:54 AM
    • 425 Posts
    • 1,033 Thanks
    lonelyrat
    Santander card is officially at zero!

A few more months then the Virgin card will be paid off then it's time to start saving Have allowed slightly more spending money than usual this month as we're going away.

Have decided that I wan't to be able to drive by Christmas (ideally)... So plan is to start saving a wee bit every month to be able to afford lessons. Unfortunately my theory has run out so will need to sit that again Am thinking I will book it in for August and just get it out the way.

Yesterday was very, very lovely. Got to the hill we were climbing quite early so wasn't busy which was nice. The views from the top were amazing... Could see right over to Loch Lomond and the surrounding hills which was great. Couldn't actually find the Whangie for ages I think when we were walking up the hill we were too keen to get to the top and must have missed it. Once we did finally find it it was good though... It's a slit in the rock and you walk through it.

Ate our sandwiches perched on rocks at the opening of the Whangie looking out over the reservoir which was really lovely. We had the place to ourselves most of the time we were there which was nice. On our descent we picked some blueberries as well which were really tasty.

Later on we walked to the reservoir as well through some forest. Identified a small- leaved lime tree There's an app from the Woodland Trust called "British Trees" which is really good! It has an A- Z of trees and you can also identify them by feature (leaves, bark, flowers etc.) so I've been using that in conjunction with my tree book. It's quite good as it has actual photos of the trees whereas the book just has diagrams. There's also an option to mark a map where you saw a specific tree which I think is pretty cool.
    Did 27,516 steps and climbed 110 floors I'm sure for people more active than me that's nothing... But for me and OH it felt like a pretty amazing feat

Plans today are to chill out and try not to spend any money Need to nip to the post office to send a return but that's it. Going to maybe go to the Loch for a lap or two if OH is up for it later then just have an early night. Will be back on later to have a nosey around as I've been a bit lax.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

199Posts Today

1,853Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Dora_Haf: @MartinSLewis So many people on here saying they're great until you get your PROPER job. What if Your proper job Is ON zero?

• RT @hslt88: @MartinSLewis I?m a trustee for a youth charity. We only have a limited pool of funds for flexible youth workers for holiday sc?

• RT @Dan_i_elle_88: @MartinSLewis Loved working zero hour agency care work. Never out of work and I loved having the flexibility! Only left?

• Follow Martin