Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • lonelyrat
    • By lonelyrat 18th Oct 17, 7:48 PM
    • 428Posts
    • 1,042Thanks
    lonelyrat
    LonelyRat's (not so lonely) Road to Riches
    • 18th Oct 17, 7:48 PM
    LonelyRat's (not so lonely) Road to Riches 18th Oct 17 at 7:48 PM
    Hello everyone I have been posting for a few months now over on the general Debt Free Wannabe board but have decided what I'm wanting to do seems more like a Debt Free Diary, so here I am!

I started trying to tackle my situation in June with around 7,500 of debt and no clue what to do about it. I made a basic, confused, sort of plan to tackle it and got cracking... I managed to make a tiny dent but wasn't doing particularly much and still felt completely overwhelmed. One night, after a few (read: many) wines, a desperate internet search for "help, debt" brought me here. I began reading through other people's threads and started to get a better idea of what I should be doing (hello snowballing - how had I not heard of you?!). In August I got the balls together to post my first thread. I got some good advice, began to feel more motivated and focused and, above all, started to feel like there was light at the end of the tunnel

There are a number of reasons why I want to start this diary. Most importantly I feel like it will help me be more accountable for my actions. I've made a series of poor decisions which have led me to the money mess I'm in now. I need to unlearn bad habits and by writing everything down and checking in a few times a week I'm hoping to start reprogramming myself.

Some general info about me and my life:
    I have just turned 27 *shudder* and am partnered up with OH. We have been together a few years and live together with his parents in Bonny Scotland. A few months ago as we used to rent a flat together but really couldn't afford it so we've moved in with his parents to reduce outgoings and get this debt busted with the ultimate aim of saving towards a deposit (something that seemed completely unattainable even just a few months ago). I work in a dead end customer service role at a bank and he is a student who is currently in his last year of study (hallelujah)!

Hobbies for me include drinking wine, but I am attempting to cut this down and have gone sober for October. Hopefully I can carry it on indefinitely!

I got paid yesterday so money has been allocated to where it needs to go and here are my most up to date balances:

Current Debt / Debt at first DFW post

Overdraft 1 950 / 1950
    Overdraft 2 83 / 450
    Loan 472.29 / 770
    Santander CC 2744.45 / 2770.90
    Very BNPL 263.98 / 288.98
    Capital One (1) 0 / 404.25
    Capital One (2) 0 / 179
    Barclaycard 0 / 390

Total Debt 4513.72 / 7203.13

If anyone is interested in my short journey so far it can be found here: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5690629#topofpage
    Last edited by lonelyrat; 01-05-2018 at 9:19 AM. Reason: Edited to make less lengthy
    Total Debt : 1723.49 / 7266.93
    Weight Loss: 19.2 / 45kg
Page 12
    • lonelyrat
    • By lonelyrat 9th May 18, 8:27 PM
    • 428 Posts
    • 1,042 Thanks
    lonelyrat
    Lucifa73 I didn't... I just kept putting it off The film was really actually really good though... Despite my lack of backstory. It has actually made me more interested in watching the other ones so may get round to it one day! 99 days I've been in double digits before so I feel a bit like a cheat, but this time I will definitely manage to clear it all by my dfd.

Oh Silver Queen haha! Thanks for that, don't think I've ever been anyones fitspo before I saw you did over 20,000 one day which is very impressive... I feel like we can definitely motivate each other!

On that note did 10,795 today and 15,410 yesterday I hadn't planned on trying to hit ten thousand on days I was working so feeling quite content with it. Off tomorrow so will definitely go on a walk but then may take Friday and Saturday off as I'm working both days.

Was talking to a friend at work and she's planning on joining the gym next door so I may join as well at some point. Am feeling OK just walking at the moment but I do think getting half an hour in the gym before work could be good. We get a discount so it's 9.99 per month which isn't too bad. I won't be joining up just yet but will consider it in July.

Yesterday was a spendy day and am ashamed to report am in the overdraft by 10 It isn't the end of the world but I'm annoyed at myself about it. I do have 21.30 that I had requested to cash out from Prolific to cover it but still, grr.

Met friend after work and went to a restaurant that did mexican street food which was very tasty (although probably calorific) and as if that wasn't enough we walked to the west end to get churros and ice cream... Again very tasty but not quite diet friendly. Have made up for it today though and am well under my calorie goal. Didn't drink anything though! So that's a social occasion done and dusted alcohol free.

Plans for tomorrow include returning a dress I got for a communion I have this weekend as doesn't fit properly. That will be 25 back but onto my debit card so will be a few days before I see it. I'll go a walk as well and will do a load of laundry. For once there isn't any other housework that needs doing thanks to my super productive day on Monday! Feels good but I also feel a bit at a loss as to what to do with myself again
    • dustydigger
    • By dustydigger 9th May 18, 8:53 PM
    • 601 Posts
    • 2,020 Thanks
    dustydigger
    I am hoping for a cash out on Prolific - eventually!! I am on 19.58,with 3 pending,which would get me to the cash out of 20 free ,but whereas normally it takes just a few days for survey fees to be added,this time I have been waiting over a week,no addition in sight.
    Once you cash in,how long does it take to go in your account? I had a TCB cashout that took well over a month

SPC 2018 # 012 -
    2 Savers 2018 #19 154 Tesc* Xmas Savers 25.85
    Icel@nd bonus card 16 House & Home Fund 2018 - 277 (plus 174 from 2017 = 451)
    weight loss :3/7lb AF Mar-Aug 178 days+ Sep 18/24 Books read Sep 9/12 Prolific 4.75

• lonelyrat
    • By lonelyrat 9th May 18, 9:27 PM
    • 428 Posts
    • 1,042 Thanks
    lonelyrat
    Hi Dusty I've just checked through emails/ bank transactions and I can see I cashed out on November 15th and had the money in my Circle account on the 17th. As soon as it was there I transferred to my bank account and that was instant. You will need to set yourself up for Circle if you haven't already done so then you put the same email you use for that into Prolific and they send it.

Top cash back was quite slow for me last time! Not as slow as waiting for some of the cashback to stop pending though... I referred my OH and got 20 but it did take since October until last month for it to be payable!
    • dustydigger
    • By dustydigger 10th May 18, 7:53 AM
    • 601 Posts
    • 2,020 Thanks
    dustydigger
    Yep.TCB is slow. Apparently H*lland & Barr*tt want to pay me my one pound something after 3 months. Then it takes weeks to get through TCB and into the bank.Wow! I'm not holding my breath
    Last edited by dustydigger; 10-05-2018 at 7:56 AM.

SPC 2018 # 012 -
    weight loss :3/7lb AF Mar-Aug 178 days+ Sep 18/24 Books read Sep 9/12 Prolific 4.75

• lonelyrat
    • By lonelyrat 10th May 18, 8:50 AM
    • 428 Posts
    • 1,042 Thanks
    lonelyrat
    It can take so long... I try not to look at it and maybe in a year I'll have a good amount to cash out

Not particularly warm today but may be sunny (too early to tell). Just gearing up for my walk Going to walk into the next town and go to the Asda there as need to get photos printed. OH's birthday coming up and he wants trainers but I don't want to get him ones he won't like so I've found 6 pairs I like and think he will and am going to get photos printed of them. Then going to get a board and stick them on, decorate it and make a spinny thing (not sure how!) Will get the cash out and put in a nice decorated envelope for him. Feels a bit better than just handing him money and saying "go get trainers" OR getting him ones he thinks are ugly.

Usually I go a bit OTT with his birthday but this year I have zero money so am trying to make what I am doing more exciting to make up for the lack of gifts.

Need to think of something else to get him that's cheap but personal. Usually I'm so good with birthdays/ Christmas but my minds gone blank. Maybe we've just had too many now and I've lost my touch

Have given the kitchen a once over and put on a load of laundry. Am hoping it stays clear so I can peg out when I get back from my walk. Not taking dress back on my walk as don't want to carry a bag with me so will wake OH up when I get home and get him to drive me

98 days
    • Silver Queen
    • By Silver Queen 10th May 18, 9:57 AM
    • 466 Posts
    • 2,128 Thanks
    Silver Queen
    That sounds like a really great idea! I love it, I know for a fact that my OH would love it if I did that for him...it's a shame I'm not a nice GF like you are

I've been really impressed with you! Hope that doesn't sound condescending because that's not the intention at all. I wish I had half of the motivation that you have right now. You're smashing the debt, you're getting up really early when it's not necessary to get on with your day, you seem to have fixed your sleep pattern and you're smashing the step count every single day! You should be really really proud of yourself.

I'm just gonna use your diary to guilt trip myself into maybe possibly ever getting up more than 20 minutes before I have to leave to get anywhere....
    Debt Totals September 2018::
    350 Natwest Credit Card / Now 0 (paid off and closed 04/2017) 15,500 postgrad loan from parents/ Now 9,250 500 train ticket loan from parents / Now 0 (paid off 16/02/18) 2,000 Overdraft Now 0 (paid off 09/03/18)
    • lonelyrat
    • By lonelyrat 10th May 18, 1:45 PM
    • 428 Posts
    • 1,042 Thanks
    lonelyrat
    I'm not always a nice girlfriend... I can be a moody cow haha! I just love birthdays... I get more excited for his birthday than I do mine

Aww thank you Silver Queen - thats really lovely If I can do it then anyone can! Genuinely have no idea where the sudden burst of motivation has come from but am definitely attempting to make the most of it! I'm finding that I'm falling asleep quite early so waking up early without an alarm which is nice. I downloaded something called flux for my laptop - it alters your screen colour to reduce blue light when the sun goes down so that may be having an impact on me finding it easier to sleep. I also enabled Night Shift on my iphone which does the same so would suggest having a look at it if you ever struggle to wind down. In an ideal world the bedroom would be a screen free zone, but that just isn't realistic for me!
    Did 11,180 steps today... However when I got to Asda realised I had forgot my USB So couldn't print out the photos. Will have to do it another day as I don't think I've got another 11 thousand steps in me.

Had a shower and made eggy bread for lunch which was very tasty. I did peg out my laundry before the shower but the sky is now starting to look like it may rain so going to nip out and bring everything in again

OH still asleep so going to wake him up at 2.30 I think... I may have fixed my sleep pattern but unfortunately can't fix his!
    • Silver Queen
    • By Silver Queen 10th May 18, 1:53 PM
    • 466 Posts
    • 2,128 Thanks
    Silver Queen
    I'm the same, absolutely adore birthdays and christmas and always struggle to keep under budget.

I've just now already booked/purchased OH's xmas present....
    350 Natwest Credit Card / Now 0 (paid off and closed 04/2017) 15,500 postgrad loan from parents/ Now 9,250 500 train ticket loan from parents / Now 0 (paid off 16/02/18) 2,000 Overdraft Now 0 (paid off 09/03/18)
    • lonelyrat
    • By lonelyrat 11th May 18, 6:43 PM
    • 428 Posts
    • 1,042 Thanks
    lonelyrat
    They're just so much fun... I love thinking up the perfect gift, it feels really satisfying. Impressed that you're already sorted for Christmas for your OH... That's some serious forward planning - I like it

Did 11,238 steps today. Got home from work and OH was still asleep so we cuddled for a bit then I made him come with me to Tesco for some lady products. He was quite grumbly about it but I think the fresh air will have done him good. He was less than impressed when I poo pooed his suggestion of a shortcut and instead made us walk the long way up a hill

Will not be doing 10,000 tomorrow as have the communion on Sunday and need to rest my feet as I'm wearing heels and really not very good in them. My feet just get so sore, so quickly. I don't know how people do it! OH has kindly said he will give me a foot rub tomorrow night in preparation though

Will be a bit of a test not to drink on Sunday. I did OK hanging with my friend and her OH but an actual function with loads of OH's extended family will not be good for my nerves. Sounds really lame but I may try and practice some small talk.

Just about to make quorn fajitas for dinner then get in bed and watch some stuff. Today is my TV day... There's new Grey's and new RuPaul's drag race so I'm quite spoiled tonight. OH will be relegated to the other room and I'm going to have an early night.

Tomorrow is weigh in day so I have my 50p at the ready and will get OH to take me to the Tesco before I get the train to work. Fingers crossed my splurge on Tuesday isn't that bad!

No change money wise... Not really much of a debt free diary at this point as just a diary Still got some change in my purse and now less than a week till payday so feeling good. OH going to commence the job hunt properly next week

97 days
    • Silver Queen
    • By Silver Queen 11th May 18, 6:56 PM
    • 466 Posts
    • 2,128 Thanks
    Silver Queen
    You're doing really well money wise. Keep it up!

Are you part of any weight loss groups on here? I'm thinking of popping in to one. Or maybe we can start one ourselves

I know exactly what you mean about OH's family and nerves and drinking. I am genuinely awful at small talk, especially around non-law people (god I'm so sad!) so I know all about quietly muttering to myself practicing a convo before I have to do t... and of course a glass or two of wine helps

I have a big OH family event tomorrow so I'm a nervous wreck right now as well! His mum is one of five and it's the first time I'm meeting all the cousins. I'm sure it'll be ok though just as I'm sure your communion will be fine!
    • lonelyrat
    • By lonelyrat 11th May 18, 9:36 PM
    • 428 Posts
    • 1,042 Thanks
    lonelyrat
    Thank you Will get there eventually... Money from Prolific came in so that's been shifted to the overdraft.

I'm not in any groups.... But you're right! We should have a look for one or make our own. Would be helpful for motivation

Eugh, small talk....I feel like if I say stuff I want to actually care about what I'm talking about so just chatting about the weather etc. can seem so pointless. With other people it just flows so naturally... Am quite jealous. I'm a bit concerned as I'm an atheist as well, so will feel a wee bit out of place with a bunch of Catholics... I got brought up Protestant so don't even have some childhood memories to rely on. I don't even really know what happens at a communion Do kids drink wine and eat little crackers? Is that it?
    I'm sure you'll be grand tomorrow Social weekend coming up for both of us Not sure how I feel about it
    • Silver Queen
    • By Silver Queen 12th May 18, 11:51 AM
    • 466 Posts
    • 2,128 Thanks
    Silver Queen
    I was brought up atheist and am still atheist so I honestly have no clue

OH's family are catholic too so I definitely understand that minefield!
    • lonelyrat
    • By lonelyrat 12th May 18, 9:06 PM
    • 428 Posts
    • 1,042 Thanks
    lonelyrat
    Silver Queen hope today was OK for you! Am feeling pretty positive about tomorrow (small chat sufficiently rehearsed ) but my feet are a wee bit sore as I did 13,195 steps today. Am considering flats rather than the heels but not sure. May take the flats in my handbag and see how I get on.

I hadn't planned to do my steps today but it was so sunny and lovely and wanted to take the dog a walk after work. OH came with me (and grumbled about it) and it was really nice. Doggo had lots of fun rolling around in the grass and splashing in any puddles/ mud she could find. Feel quite guilty as OH's dad took her to get a shampoo and her nails cut etc. the other day and now I've gone and got her all muddy again
    Just out the shower and my hairdryer has packed it in Was going to leave the hair wash until tomorrow but am now v. glad that I didn't as I can let my hair air dry tonight and sort it when I wake up.

Will need to buy a new hairdryer... Am considering cutting my hair off though. It's down to my bum at the moment and really thick so takes a good 30 minutes to dry and needs quite a heavy duty hairdryer, but I would quite like to go just above the shoulders. Would be chopping off about 16 inches so not sure if I'm brave enough. But if I were to do it I could get a super cheap hairdryer instead. Decisions, decisions. If I did cut it I think I would quite like to donate it but really don't know if the quality is good enough. It's not dyed or anything but I may have some split ends, not sure. Could always ask the hairdresser what they think maybe.. If I can get the gumption to actually go to one! No idea why the thought of being in the hairdresser is anxiety inducing

Went to Tesco before work this morning and their weight machine seems to be broken... It ate my 50p then powered down so I was not best pleased. After work I walked to boots in town and weighed myself there - lost 1.5 kg so feeling happy. Only another zillion to go.... Will now go to boots instead of Tesco as am usually working Saturdays and it's only a slight detour.

96 days
    • dustydigger
    • By dustydigger 13th May 18, 4:41 PM
    • 601 Posts
    • 2,020 Thanks
    dustydigger
    Well done on the weight loss,Lonelyrat!

I have given up for the moment.I lost 4 stone (25kg) in a year,and then didnt lose anything in 3 months,turned out to be under active thyroid which slows the metabolism.And dieting slows it down too.
    I am taking a break for a while to stabilise and will try to be more active and keep moving more to try to improve the metabolic rate as the calories I have been eating are just enough to maintain or unfortunately gain about 1/2lb a week,which is SOOO not good ,so on with the walking shoes,possibly out with the weights(!!!!!!)
    I have stopped attending Slimming World,and I liked their scales,always about two to two and a half pounds lighter than my home scale.(Maybe allowing for clothing?) Now I am going to have to go by my dodgy wobbly scales,several pounds higher,unless I take a leaf out of your book and use Boots's scale. Its 2 miles away at the shopping centre so I would have to schedule shopping and weighing together,and its right in front of the shop window,everyone has to pass you going in,its a bit embarrassing.
    The scale in the city Boots (7miles away) is off in a corner at the far end of the shop,tucked away almost out of sight. I feel quite happy taking off my coat and shoes there,would feel conspicuous in our local store,which doesnt even have a stool to dump your coat on. Certainly not user friendly!
    Last edited by dustydigger; 13-05-2018 at 4:52 PM.

SPC 2018 # 012 -

• lonelyrat
    • By lonelyrat 13th May 18, 8:56 PM
    • 428 Posts
    • 1,042 Thanks
    lonelyrat
    Dusty 4 stone is amazing and something you can be so proud of! Slowing down isn't a bad thing if it's what will help the thyroid.

I know what you mean about liking certain scales more than others I was going to Tesco because I wanted some stability as my scales at home aren't very good. Will not be going again though, not very stable if they stop working! The boots scales are right next to the prescription counter so if anyones waiting on anything then they can see/ hear me. No place to put jacket and bag as well, like you said - not very user friendly! Also they are so, so loud! "MEASURING YOUR WEIGHT, MEASURING YOUR BODY FAT!!!!!" ... They just shout! I swear everyone in the immediate area turns around. Very embarrassing

Made it through the communion after party thing and didn't drink... Felt a little out of place, especially when I saw people with wine and g & t's. I felt a wee bit jealous but then just thought about how much better I'm feeling in myself. Wore my heels in the end (they killed ) so felt quite smart. Got home about 3 so popped the fitbit on and OH and I went for a walk. Managed 13,281 steps... Not quite planned but the weather was so lovely again so I sort of felt I had to

Just taken off my makeup and washed my face. Going to go through my skincare routine in bed and find something to watch with remaining rat. Am almost out of my toner and moisturiser so have put that on the budget for when I get paid. I feel a bit silly spending on skin care when I'm in debt but I've found a routine that seems to work for my skin (finally) and it's massively improved, no more break outs and I'm just looking healthier in general. I don't want to give that up

95 days debt busting to go... and 21 days alcohol free!
    • onedaysomeday
    • By onedaysomeday 14th May 18, 9:10 AM
    • 560 Posts
    • 818 Thanks
    onedaysomeday
    You're doing so well with your steps and weight loss and not drinking! I'm very impressed! I need to really start doing more than I am at the moment I seem to lose a couple of lbs then it goes straight back on! I weigh myself on scales at OH's that I brought but I dislike them as they keep telling me I've lost no weight and OH keeps losing weight - lucky !!!!!!!

As I'm sure you know, I totally agree with spending money on skincare stuff, I am almost out of my toner after having to spend on moisturiser last month
    Just trying to make up for past mistakes and work towards the future I want
    • lonelyrat
    • By lonelyrat 14th May 18, 3:43 PM
    • 428 Posts
    • 1,042 Thanks
    lonelyrat
    Aww thanks Onedaysomeday - just got to try and keep myself motivated!

Bought my dress for the communion 3 weeks ago and got it in two sizes as wasn't sure which one would fit. Tried them both on when they arrived and needed the bigger one BUT yesterday it looked too big and the smaller one fit perfectly. Felt like such a win! Still a long way to go but am feeling like I can keep it up.

Guys lose weight a lot easier than ladies so don't get too disheartened by it. I know if my OH pulls his finger out and starts eating healthily as well the weight will just fall off him and I'll still look like a lump!

Work done for the day and now just having lunch. Have houmous w/ crackerbread, olives and halloumi so a bit of a mediterranean feast. Going to get some suncream on soon and go lounge in the sun. OH still asleep but hoping he will get up soon so we can take the dog a walk. Only done 5,000 on my way to and from the station/ work so itching to get another 5

Have made the decision I will join the gym when I get paid, with the work discount it's 9.99 a month which can be taken out the food budget Friend from work has joined and said it's not too busy in the mornings. She usually works the same shifts as me so I'll have someone there to keep me accountable (i'll definitely need it!) Does mean with the way the trains work that I'll potentially have to leave the house at 5.15 in the morning which I'm not too keen on.... But if I can get into a pattern then it'll be fine.

NSD today
    94 days
    • onedaysomeday
    • By onedaysomeday 14th May 18, 3:56 PM
    • 560 Posts
    • 818 Thanks
    onedaysomeday
    Love love love the sound of houmous olives and halloumi yummmm

That's good that someone has sussed out the quiet time - I'm going to make myself drive in early as it's quiet at 6.30am than 6.30pm. Sunday is my favourite day to go as it's really quiet just after lunch time

Yay for the smaller dress and being able to get some sun! It's cloudy again where I am!
    Just trying to make up for past mistakes and work towards the future I want
    • lonelyrat
    • By lonelyrat 15th May 18, 6:49 AM
    • 428 Posts
    • 1,042 Thanks
    lonelyrat
    It was very tasty but meant I wasn't really ready for dinner... Potentially ate too much Yeah I'm glad she's gone and checked it out.. Am also glad I'll have someone with me for the first few times at least!

Seems sunny/ dry again here so quite happy... Hayfever is kicking my butt I feel so congested and rubbish. Just taken some anti histamines so keeping my fingers crossed they kick in soon.

Usually OH gives me a lift to the station in the morning and I walk home, but today I'm going to walk and see how long it takes as I'd like to walk in the morning more regularly.

Should be payday in 2 or 3 days so getting excited for it. Will still have little to no money for spends BUT can make a payment to the Santander card. Then there's just one more payment to go! 2800 DONE (although I did cheat a bit as 700 went on the Virgin card - I balance transferred it because I panicked and didn't think I could clear it all by the time the interest free period ended in September. I shouldn't have worried though ).

Aims for today:
    1.10,000 steps
    2. Return ASOS dress that was too big to the PO
    3. Return New Look dress (alternative to ASOS dress but not as nice) to PO
    4. Email Easyjet about Cancelled flight in March (if they don't reply within 7 days I will write a complaint letter detailing what I need and including a stamp for them - Really not impressed it has taken more than two months to send me something. I was quite chilled about it, but now would really like my 260 back).
    5. Lounge in the sun, if sunny (this is the most important one haha!)

Have a good day everyone

93 days
    • Silver Queen
    • By Silver Queen 15th May 18, 1:04 PM
    • 466 Posts
    • 2,128 Thanks
    Silver Queen
    Wow Lonelyrat you are way more chill than I am! I would have lost my mind if I'd waited that long for a refund. Definitely be firm with them and make sure they respond to you! Otherwise bring a complaint with the ombudsman!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

87Posts Today

1,469Users online

Martin's Twitter