Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • lonelyrat
    • By lonelyrat 18th Oct 17, 7:48 PM
    • 271Posts
    • 662Thanks
    lonelyrat
    LonelyRat's (not so lonely) Road to Riches
    • 18th Oct 17, 7:48 PM
    LonelyRat's (not so lonely) Road to Riches 18th Oct 17 at 7:48 PM
    Hello everyone I have been posting for a few months now over on the general Debt Free Wannabe board but have decided what I'm wanting to do seems more like a Debt Free Diary, so here I am!

I started trying to tackle my situation in June with around 7,500 of debt and no clue what to do about it. I made a basic, confused, sort of plan to tackle it and got cracking... I managed to make a tiny dent but wasn't doing particularly much and still felt completely overwhelmed. One night, after a few (read: many) wines, a desperate internet search for "help, debt" brought me here. I began reading through other people's threads and started to get a better idea of what I should be doing (hello snowballing - how had I not heard of you?!). In August I got the balls together to post my first thread. I got some good advice, began to feel more motivated and focused and, above all, started to feel like there was light at the end of the tunnel

There are a number of reasons why I want to start this diary. Most importantly I feel like it will help me be more accountable for my actions. I've made a series of poor decisions which have led me to the money mess I'm in now. I need to unlearn bad habits and by writing everything down and checking in a few times a week I'm hoping to start reprogramming myself.

Some general info about me and my life:
    I have just turned 27 *shudder* and am partnered up with OH. We have been together a few years and live together with his parents in Bonny Scotland. A few months ago as we used to rent a flat together but really couldn't afford it so we've moved in with his parents to reduce outgoings and get this debt busted with the ultimate aim of saving towards a deposit (something that seemed completely unattainable even just a few months ago). I work in a dead end customer service role at a bank and he is a student who is currently in his last year of study (hallelujah)!

Hobbies for me include drinking wine, but I am attempting to cut this down and have gone sober for October. Hopefully I can carry it on indefinitely!

I got paid yesterday so money has been allocated to where it needs to go and here are my most up to date balances:

Current Debt / Debt at first DFW post

Overdraft 1 950 / 1950
    Overdraft 2 83 / 450
    Loan 472.29 / 770
    Santander CC 2744.45 / 2770.90
    Very BNPL 263.98 / 288.98
    Capital One (1) 0 / 404.25
    Capital One (2) 0 / 179
    Barclaycard 0 / 390

Total Debt 4513.72 / 7203.13

If anyone is interested in my short journey so far it can be found here: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5690629#topofpage
    Last edited by lonelyrat; 01-05-2018 at 9:19 AM. Reason: Edited to make less lengthy
    Total Debt: 1125 / 7266.93
    Outstanding Debt: Santander CC 450 - Virgin CC 675
    Weight Loss: 7.1kg/ 38kg
Page 11
    • onedaysomeday
    • By onedaysomeday 30th Apr 18, 11:16 AM
    • 404 Posts
    • 616 Thanks
    onedaysomeday
    Yay for the defrosted freezer and not going into your overdraft well done!
    Debt paid 1780.76 / 7180.59 (24%)
    CAR SERVICE CHALLENGE: 21/154 BY 5/6/18 (13.5 %)
    EMERGENCY FUND: 0 SAVINGS POTS: 0
    • lonelyrat
    • By lonelyrat 30th Apr 18, 7:18 PM
    • 271 Posts
    • 662 Thanks
    lonelyrat
    Thanks Onedaysomeday I was doing so well until last month when it all went a bit wrong, then I was really worried it was going to become a habit again so was v. aware of not letting it happen again!

Work today was meh again. Last day of the month so last day to work on my stats and I think I ended the month OK. Got an email from someone offering me their bank holiday shift on the 28th (hallelujah!) so happy about that. I'll make an extra 160 on that day so it's definitely worth it. Tried to get the 7th as well but no one was wanting to give me it

Glorious sunny day here so OH picked me up from the station after work and we went to the Loch and had a walk. Managed 10,000 steps and it was really lovely just walking around in the sun together.

Am currently making dinner - attempting cauliflower pizza. Looks very strange and I feel like I added too much egg, but we shall see how it goes
    • lonelyrat
    • By lonelyrat 1st May 18, 9:07 AM
    • 271 Posts
    • 662 Thanks
    lonelyrat
    It's a new month! I love a new month... I especially love entering a new month still having spending money from my last pay

I've made an extra payment to the Santander card this morning so the balance drops down to 850. So, so close to having it paid I'm doing better than I was last month so I may actually be able to move my debt free date forward a month. We'll see how I get on making payments this month though... I don't want to overextend myself and end up skint.

Off work again today so will just potter around. OH still asleep as he was drinking last night again. At least this time he came to bed at 3.45 rather than 7.45

To do
    1. De-clutter Kitchen and re-organise (and clean)
    2. 10,000 steps
    3. Shower
    4. Read 2 Chapters of my book
    5. Catch up on diaries
    6. Clean out used candle jars
    7. Update signature to include 50 payment to Santander cc

Another day with not much to do today. It's really weird, I feel a bit uneasy, almost like I'm forgetting something. Usually I go about my day to day life with varying levels of guilt over putting off things that need done, but I genuinely can't think of anything right now. I'm worried I've potentially blanked on something important...
    • lonelyrat
    • By lonelyrat 1st May 18, 8:37 PM
    • 271 Posts
    • 662 Thanks
    lonelyrat
    To do
    1. De-clutter Kitchen and re-organise (and clean)
    Will I ever do this?
    2. 10,000 steps
    17,513. Initial walk was just over ten but then when I got home OH suggested going to the shops as I had a few things I wanted to get. Have a communion coming up and needed to get some heels so bought a nice nude pair from Primark. They seem comfy enough but am sure I will be struggling after about 5 minutes. Also got a laundry basket from Ikea and a drawer organiser.
    3. Shower
    4. Read 2 Chapters of my book
    5. Catch up on diaries
    Will have a nosey around after work tomorrow.
    6. Clean out used candle jars
    7. Update signature to include 50 payment to Santander cc

Feeling quite achey and tired but good all the same. Just going to straighten my hair and lay out clothes for tomorrow then get in bed and watch something

107 days
    • Lucifa73
    • By Lucifa73 2nd May 18, 12:50 PM
    • 7,315 Posts
    • 9,155 Thanks
    Lucifa73
    Well done on having money at the end of the month, that is a great achievement!

Don't worry about having some free time. Make the most of it. Are you still knitting/crocheting? Take the chance to have a big long session on that, or whatever is your thing at the moment (I'm a total craft magpie and flit from hobby to hobby - the current crush is bullet journaling but I am starting to eye up my sewing supplies after Mum got me a Luna Lapin book). That way you can have something you achieved. Having said that - sometimes its nice to BE rather than DO.
    Don't give in; Don't you dare quit so easy
    Give all; That you got on the soul
    Don't say
    That you want it forever
    I know, I know
    Snow Patrol. 'Don't give in'. 21.3.18
    • lonelyrat
    • By lonelyrat 2nd May 18, 6:46 PM
    • 271 Posts
    • 662 Thanks
    lonelyrat
    Hi Lucifa73 I may have made it to the end of the month with money... But I didn't say how much I have about 35-40 to last until payday (15 days) which should be OK. Don't have anything I need to buy so I should make it through OK this month.

I haven't actually knit anything in a while The last thing was a wee blanket for the rats that had to be put to sleep and I'm still feeling a bit raw about it so perhaps that's why I've not come back to it (will need to rectify this!) I have done some research on candle-making so when I get paid this month am going to get some wax / scents off Amazon and have an experiment! I see loads of posts on instagram of people's bullet journals and they'e so beautiful! I'm not sure if I would have the patience...

Tonight I very much plan on BEing, rather than DOing anything

Dinner tonight is a treat - steak and herby potatoes. Very much looking forward to it... I'm not a big meat eater but I do enjoy a steak every now and again Will also be watching the Avengers film(s) (plural? not sure how many there actually are ) as friend from University asked me to the cinema next week to watch the new one and I've never seen any. I get a hefty discount through work so will cost 6.50 and will bring my own water.
    • onedaysomeday
    • By onedaysomeday 3rd May 18, 10:53 AM
    • 404 Posts
    • 616 Thanks
    onedaysomeday
    Ha ha I am also catching up on films to watch the new avengers one.. I have seen a lot of the marvel ones but nothing for years so playing catch up as OH has seen them all and we both really want to watch it

Bet the steak was lovely! I love steak
    Debt paid 1780.76 / 7180.59 (24%)
    CAR SERVICE CHALLENGE: 21/154 BY 5/6/18 (13.5 %)
    EMERGENCY FUND: 0 SAVINGS POTS: 0
    • lonelyrat
    • By lonelyrat 3rd May 18, 12:12 PM
    • 271 Posts
    • 662 Thanks
    lonelyrat
    Didn't have steak and didn't watch avengers last night (woops)... Was too full after a late lunch and realised that the new season of The Handmaid's Tale is out, so I watched an episode of that. It's just so brutal and haunting, it's really good but scary tv.

Will have steak tonight and maybe Avengers... Onedaysomeday I'm the same! Seen a few a while back but definitely nothing in the last few years. I really don't watch very many films, I'm more a tv show sort of person I think. Have heard good things about this one though so quite looking forward to seeing it!

Today is a nothing-y day again. Will go for a walk (gotta get that 10,000 ) then shower. Also want to hoover and finally sort the kitchen. There's a cupboard above the oven that's full of rubbish and I don't even know what's in there. I'm too short to look in it on a regular basis but I'll get the step ladder out. Going to clean it out then tell OH it can be his cupboard because he's the only person in the household tall enough to see in

Waiting for an ASOS delivery at the moment as ordered a dress for the communion. Should be delivered between 9.51 - 1.51. I think I'll wait until that arrives before I go out. Hopefully should be sooner rather than later. If it doesn't look good then I can take it back to the post office on my walk. Will read two chapters of my book while I wait then crack on with the kitchen. Can't hoover yet as OH still snoring away.
    He get's his last student finance payment tomorrow Will be nice for him to have some cash again, as mine is getting low, but scary that it's the last lot! He's said he's going to transfer a big chunk of it to me to keep for him as he will fritter it in a few weeks. So I'll fire it in my savings and I will continue to do our food/ household shopping.

When I came home from work yesterday he was looking for jobs so hopefully he finds something soon-ish. Just need to remember we are in a far better position than last year money-wise and can manage even if he doesn't get anything straight away. We made it through last summer when he had no income so we can make it another few months at least.
    • Lucifa73
    • By Lucifa73 3rd May 18, 4:57 PM
    • 7,315 Posts
    • 9,155 Thanks
    Lucifa73
    Hey - even if it was 35p at the end of the month that is WAY better than being into an overdraft so give yourself credit - this being frugal thing is not an easy path!

Hubbles and the boys went to see the new avengers on Friday and totally loved it. I am just not interested in them. I think you need to have watched the back catalogue though as there is a story thread woven through them (from what I have been told.)

I can see why the knitting might be a bit upsetting for now. Candle-making is fun but can be messy. I tried it once (got a kit for Xmas one year) but didn't love it. Last week I made my own notebook which was fun (I git to play with an electric drill!). My next project is to sew a Luna Lapin rabbit-hare as my Mum got me the book. She is super cute and I have a stash of fabric waiting to be used up.

Enjoy your steak - as a total carnivore steak is one of my favourite Friday night dinners!
    Don't say
    That you want it forever
    I know, I know
    • lonelyrat
    • By lonelyrat 3rd May 18, 8:11 PM
    • 271 Posts
    • 662 Thanks
    lonelyrat
    Lucifa73 that's true! Need to celebrate the small wins Oft, I feel like there may be a lot of watching that needs done then! Will see how many films there are I need to catch up on and if there's a few may rope OH into a movie/ duvet day on Sunday as I'm off work. I can already taste the popcorn....

I hadn't actually even thought about knitting since I did their wee blanket so I think I must have subconsciously been avoiding it. I think I may get some wool when I get paid as I do find it very therapeutic. I want to make a big patchwork blanket for OH for Christmas this year (v. early to be considering Christmas gifts but hey, ho - I like to be prepared!)

Steak was a lovely treat and I enjoyed it immensely. Also managed 14,791 steps today so feel it was well earned.

Didn't sort out the kitchen cupboard (again) but OH says he will get everything down for me to have a look at tomorrow - am thinking once he's in the kitchen I can rope him into helping me sort everything

Went to the charity shop as chair OH uses at his desk is scuppered. Got him a nice, supportive armchair type chair for 20 and he will pay me back tomorrow.

Currently faffing about with my spreadsheet then going to begin winding down for bed. Need to get into work early tomorrow as have my monthly meeting with my manager I need to prep for
    • Silver Queen
    • By Silver Queen 3rd May 18, 8:37 PM
    • 373 Posts
    • 1,759 Thanks
    Silver Queen
    Re: the bullet journal, I bought one after seeing how pretty everyone made theirs on instagram. I used it a handful of times, got frustrated at how mine wasn't pretty, wasted money on pens, didn't use them and now I have no idea where my bullet journal is
    Debt Totals May 2018::
    350 Natwest Credit Card / Now 0 (paid off and closed 04/2017) 15,500 postgrad loan from parents/ Now 10,250 500 train ticket loan from parents / Now 0 (paid off 16/02/18) 2,000 Overdraft Now 0 (paid off 09/03/18)
    • lonelyrat
    • By lonelyrat 4th May 18, 7:23 AM
    • 271 Posts
    • 662 Thanks
    lonelyrat
    Haha Silverqueen I fear that's exactly what I would do... I remember writing notes at Uni and if I spelt anything wrong I would get frustrated and rip everything out then start again! I feel it would be much the same with a bullet journal....
    • Silver Queen
    • By Silver Queen 4th May 18, 8:26 AM
    • 373 Posts
    • 1,759 Thanks
    Silver Queen
    Honestly I sometimes think we're the same person !!!128514;
    350 Natwest Credit Card / Now 0 (paid off and closed 04/2017) 15,500 postgrad loan from parents/ Now 10,250 500 train ticket loan from parents / Now 0 (paid off 16/02/18) 2,000 Overdraft Now 0 (paid off 09/03/18)
    • lonelyrat
    • By lonelyrat 4th May 18, 9:39 PM
    • 271 Posts
    • 662 Thanks
    lonelyrat
    We may just be haha!

Accidentally managed 11,064 steps today Got home from work and OH wanted to go to Asda so we walked there which was really nice. I can feel myself getting a little bit fitter, especially when tackling hills. Just need to keep going! Weigh in day tomorrow and I've been keeping to my diet so fingers crossed I'll have lost about a kilo.

Work tomorrow but am hoping will be quite quiet. Tried so hard to get someone to give me their bank holiday shift but no takers so am off Sunday and Monday. Brought it up to my manager and he's going to escalate it as I haven't been scheduled to work any, which isn't how it's meant to work. It won't exactly solve anything but at least they can know I'm a bit peed off with it.

Organised the kitchen cupboard and the fridge today and OH did a big shop and has food for himself for about 2 weeks (maybe three at a push) so feeling happy. Means I won't need to buy anything for a while, which is good as I'm skint!

OH onboard with movie day on Sunday so quite excited. He got us some popcorn and a couple of new candles (I'm such an addict!)

13 days till payday
    • lonelyrat
    • By lonelyrat 6th May 18, 8:10 AM
    • 271 Posts
    • 662 Thanks
    lonelyrat
    Woke up today feeling really great. Not entirely sure why, but I'm not going to question it

It looks gloriously sunny outside (finally) so eating some cereal in bed then going to go a walk. Managed 10,000 yesterday so am feeling quite proud. If I do another 10 today then that's 6/ 7 days and I was only aiming for 3 a week.

2 weeks alcohol free today and it's feeling really, really good My skins cleared up and I have loads of energy. I also love waking up in the morning rather than lunchtime on my days off I just feel so much more happy when I can get loads done before mid-day.

Today's plans had been to have a duvet day and attempt to watch:
    - Captain America: The First Avenger
    - The Avengers
    - Thor: Dark World
    - Avengers: Age of Ultron
    - Captain America: Civil War
    - Doctor Strange
    - Thor: Ragnarok

HOWEVER... It's sunny and I feel like curling up in front of the TV may be a bit of a waste. So I think the new plan is to make the most of the sun and then watch 2 movies tonight and then as many more as possible tomorrow OH won't know what hit him!

Going to go and liberally apply suncream now... Will check in again later
    • lonelyrat
    • By lonelyrat 6th May 18, 11:57 AM
    • 271 Posts
    • 662 Thanks
    lonelyrat
    10,974 Just had a shower now trying to wake OH up... I want to get a little barbecue from Asda and make the most of the sun. Who knows when it'll be back again?!
    • lonelyrat
    • By lonelyrat 6th May 18, 9:48 PM
    • 271 Posts
    • 662 Thanks
    lonelyrat
    Had a very lovely day Woke OH up after my walk and we went and got a little 2 barbecue. I also may have gone a bit crazy and got a lounger.... It was 20 and I feel like it was very much an impulse purchase. I'm not even sure I regret it though? I had an amazing time sitting in it reading my book and will do so again tomorrow. Just need to hope and pray I get 20 worth of sunny days!

OH had some chicken wings and hot dogs and I had some corn on the cob, halloumi and quorn sausages. Very tasty but we did manage to burn everything on one side I wanted to indulge but also tried not to go too crazy as am counting calories somewhat religiously . Came in just under my daily limit though so not too bad.

That's spending done for this month as I am now down to my last 8.74 (plus some change in my purse). Will be OK though as there is nothing I need to buy between now and payday (only 12 days away).

Going to slather myself in after sun then get in bed as am totally shattered

102 days
    • lonelyrat
    • By lonelyrat 7th May 18, 9:27 PM
    • 271 Posts
    • 662 Thanks
    lonelyrat
    Lovely day in the sun again. Managed 15,605 steps in the morning then spent the afternoon alternating between reading my book in the sun and housework. Did two loads of laundry and pegged them out and gave the kitchen a thorough clean/ tidy.

Just set out my work clothes for tomorrow and getting in bed now to wind down. Feeling crummy about work tomorrow. I had such a bad day on Saturday and I just don't feel like I have the energy to deal with people. Will keep my chin up and hope for a good day.

Meeting old flatmate tomorrow after work so may go for lunch or (if the weather is nice) go to the park. Then meeting her partner when he finishes work and going to see the Avengers. Will need to remember to buy my ticket during a break at work so I get my discount. I have a confession.... I watched none of the films I had planned to The weather was just too nice, I really couldn't justify being inside.

Managed to remain alcohol free despite the lovely weather so feeling very proud. I was worried I would cave (as I often seem to do) but I didn't. So now I know I can handle good weather without drinking.. Next thing to tackle will be social functions

101 days
    • Lucifa73
    • By Lucifa73 8th May 18, 4:31 PM
    • 7,315 Posts
    • 9,155 Thanks
    Lucifa73
    Glad you enjoyed your weekend. Did you watch any Marvel films in the end?

Also excited to note that tomorrow you will be in 2 digits to debt free!
    Don't say
    That you want it forever
    I know, I know
    • Silver Queen
    • By Silver Queen 8th May 18, 11:43 PM
    • 373 Posts
    • 1,759 Thanks
    Silver Queen
    Just wanted to let you know that you're currently my fitspo... every time I see how many steps you've done I feel guilty and do some more myself!

I have a feeling we're on a similar boat weight loss wise so maybe we can spur each other on!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,895Posts Today

4,459Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin