Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • abibee
    • By abibee 18th Oct 17, 7:42 PM
    • 411Posts
    • 245Thanks
    abibee
    Doing porridge, frugally
    • 18th Oct 17, 7:42 PM
    Doing porridge, frugally 18th Oct 17 at 7:42 PM
    Does anyone have ideas to jazz up porridge? I'm trying to eat more frugally, and porridge is really easy on the pocket and good for the body. But, I find it really bland on it's own. I've tried porridge with sliced banana which is lovely, but gets boring. There must be loads of inexpensive toppings/mixes for it?

I've googled, and all I see is super fancy (read expensive) pretentious ideas that nobody would ever do for real.
Page 3
    • dingdongsaving
    • By dingdongsaving 19th Oct 17, 7:40 PM
    • 355 Posts
    • 4,383 Thanks
    dingdongsaving
    All of my usual favourites are listed above...but I also love nutmeg and a squirt of golden syrup...it tastes exactly like rice pudding and makes an excellent pudding or supper when you've had a big lunch.
    • YORKSHIRELASS
    • By YORKSHIRELASS 19th Oct 17, 9:11 PM
    • 4,596 Posts
    • 38,452 Thanks
    YORKSHIRELASS
    I've had to train myself to leave it to cool, I kept scalding my mouth, and setting my teeth on edge.
    Originally posted by jack_pott
    Ha! Very true. I am amazed at the brilliant ideas people have for jazzing up porridge (lots of new ideas to try). Think I need to start taking a bit more interest in my breakfast.

I am currently experimenting with porridge in my food flask for work. First couple of times it set like concrete so I am working on the right consistency.
    • FrugalWeirdo83
    • By FrugalWeirdo83 20th Oct 17, 5:36 AM
    • 43 Posts
    • 254 Thanks
    FrugalWeirdo83
    Overnight oats are quite nice. I just add a bit of milk and natural yoghurt, honey and a handful of frozen berries and stick it in the fridge until morning
    • freyasmum
    • By freyasmum 20th Oct 17, 9:50 AM
    • 16,644 Posts
    • 48,593 Thanks
    freyasmum
    We do love overnight oats in summer - I use the total 0% fat Greek yogurt and some berries - or stewed cinnamon apples (though I'm lazy and use frozen apples to make my stewed apples!).

This morning though, inspired by this thread and instead of our usual bacon sarnies/cereal/lamb and egg treat, we had porridge.

I used 1/2 cup rolled oats, 1 cup boiling water, 1 pinch salt and a sprinkle of sweetener (diet). I left it to sit for 1 minute and then microwaved it for 1 minute. Another little sprinkle of sweetener and a glut of milk and I was set up for the day!
    • southantrim3
    • By southantrim3 20th Oct 17, 12:58 PM
    • 778 Posts
    • 1,484 Thanks
    southantrim3
    I love my porridge in the morning.
    Make it on the hob. Put a pinch of salt in it first of all and shake it around, then add the semi skimmed milk (no water) and leave it on a med heat (level 4/5) until it starts to bubble, and that's it. Straight forward and simple . Fancy the idea of peanut butter to jazz it up...
    Everybody's Normal Till You Get to Know Them.
    • WeegieWumman
    • By WeegieWumman 11th Aug 18, 11:52 AM
    • 248 Posts
    • 1,429 Thanks
    WeegieWumman
    Lemon Curd
    Ice Cream sauces
    Pear & Ginger
    Vanilla Essence
    tinned Mandarin Oranges
    Grated Nutmeg
    Flavoured Yogurt
    Any mixture of Berries and/or Fruit
    Top with a little Mincemeat

Just look in your fridge or food cupboard and you'll probably find leftovers etc. that you can use while being frugal.
    Last edited by WeegieWumman; 11-08-2018 at 12:03 PM. Reason: Tapped SEND too early
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 11th Aug 18, 12:27 PM
    • 63,724 Posts
    • 373,063 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    Why eat porridge if you don't like it on its own. Adding other stuff might make it a more expensive choice than nicer things to eat.

Beans on toast is 12p ... and tasty/filling, loads of fibre and one of a 5 a day.

Adding a 12p banana to your porridge to make it palatable makes it pricier than beans on toast if you look at it that way.
    • jackrabbit123
    • By jackrabbit123 12th Aug 18, 7:13 AM
    • 16 Posts
    • 27 Thanks
    jackrabbit123
    Peanut butter is my favourite porridge topping
    Originally posted by FrugalAndFabulous
    This I must try, I love anything nutty!

I've found recently porridge has gone up in price?

I love overnight porridge au natural , I just re heat it in the morning, yum! It's the kids favourite breakfast!
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 12th Aug 18, 9:15 AM
    • 20,538 Posts
    • 55,227 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Why eat porridge if you don't like it on its own. Adding other stuff might make it a more expensive choice than nicer things to eat.

Beans on toast is 12p ... and tasty/filling, loads of fibre and one of a 5 a day.

Adding a 12p banana to your porridge to make it palatable makes it pricier than beans on toast if you look at it that way.
    Originally posted by PasturesNew
    I like porridge on it's own.
    I like porridge with stuff added - be it various fruit or different jams/curds/conserve and/or nuts.

I would be bored to death with breakfast if I had the same thing.
    And a 12p banana isn't going to break my budget.
    • marmiterulesok
    • By marmiterulesok 12th Aug 18, 3:13 PM
    • 7,574 Posts
    • 34,198 Thanks
    marmiterulesok
    I love eating porridge made with water,then I cook it,add cold milk at the end and a teaspoon of golden syrup.I also sprinkle some cinnamon on it as I'm cooking it.Delicious.
    NSD August 13/20
    Budgeting again in earnest,no excuses
    'Keep plodding,one day at a time'
    DF 7/7/18
    Savings:106/5000chf
    • angela110660
    • By angela110660 12th Aug 18, 3:20 PM
    • 768 Posts
    • 1,991 Thanks
    angela110660
    Some great ideas for toppings everyone. Thanks. I soak my oats overnight either in water or almond milk and then microwave for 2 mins next morning. I usually slice a banana in and stir or use a teaspoon of choc spread mixed in or some maple syrup. I eat porridge nearly every day of the year- heck I even ate it on a cruise!! It is such a good filling start tot the day.
    Free films - 2009: saw 7 films. 2010 saw 7 films. 2011 saw 7 films. 2012 saw 5 films;2013 saw 7 films; 2014 and 2015 saw 1 in each. Nothing since!
    • marmiterulesok
    • By marmiterulesok 12th Aug 18, 3:33 PM
    • 7,574 Posts
    • 34,198 Thanks
    marmiterulesok
    Some great ideas for toppings everyone. Thanks. I soak my oats overnight either in water or almond milk and then microwave for 2 mins next morning. I usually slice a banana in and stir or use a teaspoon of choc spread mixed in or some maple syrup. I eat porridge nearly every day of the year- heck I even ate it on a cruise!! It is such a good filling start tot the day.
    Originally posted by angela110660
    I like to soak them too.I usually have it for my supper.
    NSD August 13/20
    DF 7/7/18
    • marmiterulesok
    • By marmiterulesok 12th Aug 18, 3:36 PM
    • 7,574 Posts
    • 34,198 Thanks
    marmiterulesok
    Overnight oats are quite nice. I just add a bit of milk and natural yoghurt, honey and a handful of frozen berries and stick it in the fridge until morning
    Originally posted by FrugalWeirdo83
    Overnight oats are great.
    My version:

-natural yogurt
    -porridge oats
    -a sprinkling of wheatgerm
    -a few tsp of ground almonds or dessicated coconut
    -some dried fruit
    -overnight in the fridge then stir in some honey before eating.
    NSD August 13/20
    DF 7/7/18
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,209Posts Today

5,027Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin