Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ladymay
    • By ladymay 15th Oct 17, 9:13 PM
    • 1,051Posts
    • 4,375Thanks
    ladymay
    Starting over...
    • 15th Oct 17, 9:13 PM
    Starting over... 15th Oct 17 at 9:13 PM
    Hi all!

It's been a while since I've used this website and forum, largely because I've been living abroad for a few years and BOY have I missed it! For the record, there's nothing remotely like MSE in Ireland and if I was much cleverer I would have loved to have started something similar.

The reason I'm rejoining the MSE clan is because in 12 weeks time (82 days to be exact) I'm moving back to Devon And while I'm really excited, I'm also extremely nervous to be starting over. I run a successful business here in Ireland that I'm hoping to bring over (but realistically it'll take at least 12 months to get to the same level - I'm a wedding singer if anyone needs one ), and the thought of being a 30-something who is going back to live with her mother is nauseating...

Financially I have no savings and 1700 on a credit card - I've put all my money into my business, so the plan is to save as much money as I possibly can before I move. I have a lot of work coming up but my day job is also self-employed so budgeting can be difficult while I wait for invoices to be paid.

I work mostly in the afternoons and evenings so I'm on the hunt for a temp morning or night time job for the next few months, but I'm also looking online for ways to earn a bit extra. I still have my UK bank account so I'm looking at doing the gambling websites using Top Cashback (I hate gambling so stopping after the minimum bet to get the cash back won't be an issue), and I write a bit in my spare time so I might try some of the task-based websites too.

Well, I think that's it for now. Wish me luck!
    2019 Aim: Save 10,000
    Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want now
Page 25
    • ladymay
    • By ladymay 16th Apr 19, 1:37 PM
    • 1,051 Posts
    • 4,375 Thanks
    ladymay
    HOW ARE WE HALF WAY THROUGH THE MONTH???

HOW AM I A YEAR OLDER???

Well, I had a wonderful few days off - quite spendy too with escape rooms, dinners out, cinema trips, crazy golf, but totally worth it - and it's back to it now for a solid month with a solitary day off next Sunday.

One fun work thing that's happened is that I've been hired as a cover singer for a local close harmony trio (think Andrews Sisters)! It's been yonks since I've done any major harmony work so I'm really excited! First gig with them is 11th May so I have lots of learning to do before then.

I'm going to post a financial catch up this evening, but for now this is my list for the week:

Work
    - List and order the equipment I'll need over the next few months - this will be mega spendy...
    - Go over all music I need for this weekend
    - Invoices
    - Catch up on emails Done
    - Add five new pages to website
    - Arrange photoshoot
    - Email local group about performing at the festival Done, they're still trying to get sponsorship
    - Contact potential clients near the boy's flat (if I'm up there every month, I may as well try and get some work up there!)
    - Send current set list and schedule to harmony trio to arrange rehearsals Done, just waiting for them to get back to me
    - Blog post
    - Have a listen to all the tracks the trio have sent me
    - Edit duo video
    - Sort out which networking events I'm going to over the next month
    - Figure out music for St George's Day
    - Rearrange gig with the community group
    - Call Motown band leader to arrange rehearsals for summer show

Life

- Clean car
    - Book Dr appointment Done
    - Order prescriptions Done
    - Finance catch up and budget for next few months
    - Meet cousin
    - See Mum Done
    - Rearrange volunteer training Done
    - Take last few bits to boutique to sell
    - Buy brother's present Done
    - Shopping Done
    - Edit story ready for critique session next week
    - Put sample paints on Mum's bathroom walls
    - Work out x 3 one down, two to go
    - NSD x 4

Yeah... busy week! Five gigs to fit in as well. Who needs sleep?
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 16th Apr 19, 2:27 PM
    • 1,903 Posts
    • 10,889 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    OMG, OMG, OMG.... You got a gig with The Lounge Kittens???? *faints*
    BUGGRITMILLENIUMHANDANDSHRIMP I TOLD EM! - Foul Ole Ron
    It is important that we know where we come from, because if you do not know where you come from, then you do not know where you are, and if you don't know where you are, then you don't know where you are going. If you don't know where you're going, you're probably going wrong.
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • ladymay
    • By ladymay 16th Apr 19, 2:53 PM
    • 1,051 Posts
    • 4,375 Thanks
    ladymay
    OMG, OMG, OMG.... You got a gig with The Lounge Kittens???? *faints*
    Originally posted by UncannyScot

Oh my goodness, I wish, I'm not nearly cool enough for that It's a much more traditional trio; I love the Lounge Kittens though!
    • ladymay
    • By ladymay 16th Apr 19, 8:52 PM
    • 1,051 Posts
    • 4,375 Thanks
    ladymay
    In short - it's going to be a squeaky few months! Main reason being that I need to buy a load of equipment for the business which will be over a grand (I need to find out how much exactly), and while some of that can get transferred over to my 0% credit card, half of it will stay on the horrible credit card and have to get paid off asap. Having said that, April is by far my busiest month so far, and if that trend continues and I keep working hard, there's no reason why I can't have the surplus cleared and start saving again in the next three months.

Best get on the emails and texts tomorrow!
    • ladymay
    • By ladymay 20th Apr 19, 4:20 PM
    • 1,051 Posts
    • 4,375 Thanks
    ladymay
    Well, it's been a lovely and very productive few days! Dinner with mum and my middle brother on Thursday evening - I paid for a round of drinks but the food was mum's treat, and my brother bought some fancy candles and gave me a bit of money which as paid for a few nice bits this weekend.

Yesterday was two nursing home gigs, followed by my favourite bar's birthday party (a friend of mine was singing too, double win!) Only a mocktail for me as I was driving and I'm trying to do the 'health kick' thing with the bf. And today I went to the beach with a cousin and her little one for sandcastles and ice cream. Cheeky nursing home gig this afternoon and now I'm waiting to do my sound check at a holiday park in the glorious sunshine

Bookings-wise, no new clients this week but I've booked in six new dates throughout the year with regulars, so while I need to get on the sales train again next week (choo choo!) I'm confident that as long as I keep working hard the gigs will come.

I'm also working hard on my SEO (Search Engine Optimisation) rankings and Social Media strategy at the moment, which is every bit as dull as it sounds one thing I think I'll enjoy that'll really help is I've started a blog on my website! It's going to be about weddings, the vintage scene, and my love of music. I really want to get back in the habit of writing regularly again and I think this will be a good way to start!

Not much else to report for now - I'm working every day until next Sunday o I'm just plugging away and having a lovely time.

'Hoppy' Easter

xx
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

39Posts Today

1,276Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin