Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ladymay
    • By ladymay 15th Oct 17, 10:13 PM
    • 900Posts
    • 3,807Thanks
    ladymay
    Starting over...
    • 15th Oct 17, 10:13 PM
    Starting over... 15th Oct 17 at 10:13 PM
    Hi all!

It's been a while since I've used this website and forum, largely because I've been living abroad for a few years and BOY have I missed it! For the record, there's nothing remotely like MSE in Ireland and if I was much cleverer I would have loved to have started something similar.

The reason I'm rejoining the MSE clan is because in 12 weeks time (82 days to be exact) I'm moving back to Devon And while I'm really excited, I'm also extremely nervous to be starting over. I run a successful business here in Ireland that I'm hoping to bring over (but realistically it'll take at least 12 months to get to the same level - I'm a wedding singer if anyone needs one ), and the thought of being a 30-something who is going back to live with her mother is nauseating...

Financially I have no savings and 1700 on a credit card - I've put all my money into my business, so the plan is to save as much money as I possibly can before I move. I have a lot of work coming up but my day job is also self-employed so budgeting can be difficult while I wait for invoices to be paid.

I work mostly in the afternoons and evenings so I'm on the hunt for a temp morning or night time job for the next few months, but I'm also looking online for ways to earn a bit extra. I still have my UK bank account so I'm looking at doing the gambling websites using Top Cashback (I hate gambling so stopping after the minimum bet to get the cash back won't be an issue), and I write a bit in my spare time so I might try some of the task-based websites too.

Well, I think that's it for now. Wish me luck!
    Moved back to the UK 05/01/18
    New Job and New Business
    2018 Aim - Save 10k
Page 17
    • wishingthemortgaheaway
    • By wishingthemortgaheaway 5th Apr 18, 8:57 PM
    • 1,213 Posts
    • 5,546 Thanks
    wishingthemortgaheaway
    I'm tired reading all that. But woohoo to a savings plan.
    The 100 payment countdown (each payment = 400) 2018 Starts at 13/100 o/s 34,750.
    Jan 18 14/100 Feb 15/100 March 18/100
    Term Mortgage free date: October 2029 Current mortgage free date: April 2025 March 2024 Jan 2024
    MFW 2018 Challenge Member #162 1400ish/2,500
    • ladymay
    • By ladymay 5th Apr 18, 9:03 PM
    • 900 Posts
    • 3,807 Thanks
    ladymay
    WTMA, This is a quiet week! As much as I enjoy working all the time, I still find it a novelty to be able to see all my family regularly and I'm making the most of them all. I'm just so grateful things are starting to work out.
    New Job and New Business
    2018 Aim - Save 10k
    • ladymay
    • By ladymay 7th Apr 18, 10:07 AM
    • 900 Posts
    • 3,807 Thanks
    ladymay
    Well, yesterday was interesting... I ended up going on a date with a lovely guy who I think I'll be seeing again!

Plans for today:

- Go to the Donkey Sanctuary
    - Email agents
    - Pay subs
    - Update finances

Have a great Saturday everyone!
    New Job and New Business
    2018 Aim - Save 10k
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 7th Apr 18, 1:08 PM
    • 1,366 Posts
    • 7,567 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    Looking good missus

Enjoying your updates and positivity.
    BUGGRITMILLENIUMHANDANDSHRIMP I TOLD EM! - Foul Ole Ron
    It is important that we know where we come from, because if you do not know where you come from, then you do not know where you are, and if you don't know where you are, then you don't know where you are going. If you don't know where you're going, you're probably going wrong.
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • ladymay
    • By ladymay 7th Apr 18, 8:52 PM
    • 900 Posts
    • 3,807 Thanks
    ladymay
    Thanks Uncanny! Hope you and pooch are keeping well.

I've finally sat down with March's list and we're already a week through April - I no longer understand time, how it works, and why it's going so fast

March

Work
    - promo video YES! This is done, I put it up Thursday night and it's on nearly 2000 views so just waiting for the bookings to roll in (if only!)
    - research agencies further and showcases I have a list of people to contact, that needs to be done ASAP
    - learn 10 new songs for vintage act I've learned a few, not sure it's 10 though...
    - call 100 new homes This just hasn't happened, I just don't have the time to concentrate on this right now
    - follow up on every home I've contacted so far Again, I just keep running out of time for this
    - start putting together non-vintage act Set lists are done for this, now I have to buy the tracks and get learning!
    - research social media and increase engagement This is ongoing and not as hard or boring as I thought. Engagement on FB has massively increased, I'm now looking at focussing on LinkedIn as a source of corporate work
    - PLI and union membership Still not done
    - book in four gigs DONE
    - research where similar acts are performing locally and nationally Not done yet, ran out of time

Writing
    - look into children's publishers Not done
    - look into joining local children's writers group Need to pay my subs then I can start going to events
    - write down basic premise for new story Done, but now it's on paper I'm not sure I like it..

Life / health
    - work out 10 times Done
    - keep going over and over finances Done, things are looking generally positive
    - go to my therapy appointment Done
    - rejig flat with Mum and put into storage or sell non-essentials This is a painfully slow and ongoing process
    - look into selling/swapping desktop for laptop Between being away and having tech issues I've haven't managed to get this sorted yet

Considering I only had six nights at home last month, I did pretty well. But I really need to focus my port time when I'm on the ship and make the most of all the wifi hotspots so I can keep going with the work. Not having regular fast internet is what's slowing me down atm, and while at time this (among other things) frustrates me with my job, I have to remember it's paying the bills and I can't have everything I want right now - more's the pity!

Mentally I've had a couple of big anxiety spikes but generally things are starting to calm down a little - I have a second assessment for my anxiety on Monday afternoon and I'm feeling really positive about being able to manage it with help

Now to write the very late April list...
    New Job and New Business
    2018 Aim - Save 10k
    • ladymay
    • By ladymay 7th Apr 18, 10:16 PM
    • 900 Posts
    • 3,807 Thanks
    ladymay
    April list!
    Work

- Call and follow up emails for all local and national agents
    - Download 100 songs
    - Learn 20 new songs (VERY ambitious)
    - Look into where jazz acts are performing locally
    - Design and print new flyers and banners
    - Look into wedding and vintage fairs, and where might have spots later this year

I think, realistically, I need to stop worrying about the nursing homes side of the business. For a gig at a wedding or holiday park, I can charge up to five times more and while I love my work in nursing homes, it's so much more work for less money Now I'm looking at my finances and potentially saving for a mortgage, it's 'head over heart' time...

Life

- Surveys and cash back
    - Keep on with my finances and budgets
    - Find out if I get the balance transfer card
    - Look into Flexi savings account and LISA
    - Look into switching bank account
    - Cancel Spotify
    - Work out 10 times
    - Look to see if there's a local Toastmasters group
    - Continue to work hard, but not to the point of increasing my anxiety!
    - Buy wardrobe
    - Sell computer and buy cheaper replacement
    - Sell all the tat in our flat!
    - Celebrate my birthday!

This list will inevitably be added to in due course
    New Job and New Business
    2018 Aim - Save 10k
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 7th Apr 18, 11:54 PM
    • 1,366 Posts
    • 7,567 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    Jazz??? seriously??? isn't that just a bunch of musicians all playing whatever they like regardless of what anyone else is playing???

Sorry, I just don't get Jazz, at all... believe me, I've tried...
    I know a lot of muso friends who rave about it though...
    However, they don't get my love of progressive rock / metal like TesseracT, Tool, Opeth or gods help them Rush...
    One thing we all agree on though is that our music is the soundtrack of our lives
    BUGGRITMILLENIUMHANDANDSHRIMP I TOLD EM! - Foul Ole Ron
    It is important that we know where we come from, because if you do not know where you come from, then you do not know where you are, and if you don't know where you are, then you don't know where you are going. If you don't know where you're going, you're probably going wrong.
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • ladymay
    • By ladymay 9th Apr 18, 7:07 PM
    • 900 Posts
    • 3,807 Thanks
    ladymay
    Jazz??? seriously??? isn't that just a bunch of musicians all playing whatever they like regardless of what anyone else is playing???

Sorry, I just don't get Jazz, at all... believe me, I've tried...
    I know a lot of muso friends who rave about it though...
    However, they don't get my love of progressive rock / metal like TesseracT, Tool, Opeth or gods help them Rush...
    One thing we all agree on though is that our music is the soundtrack of our lives
    Originally posted by UncannyScot
    Cheeky so and so I'm old school jazz, Ella Fitzgerald, Peggy Lee and Nat King Cole are my favourites. But improvised jazz can be awful, I'll agree with you on that one!

Had a lovely (but not very MSE) couple of days in London with friends and I'm pretty much packed and ready to go back to work in the morning. Absolutely shattered and I can't believe my week off is over already I've been told I have to train up a new manager this week, which is obviously part of the job but means adding more hours to my already-very-long week and takes away precious time from my music. Ah well...

Had my second assessment for my anxiety today and they've decided to refer me for cognitive behavioural therapy Things are starting to calm down but I'm delighted to be getting sorted so my immediate response whenever something minor happens isn't a panic attack!

Right, time to relax and head for an early night!
    New Job and New Business
    2018 Aim - Save 10k
    • ladymay
    • By ladymay 10th Apr 18, 7:57 AM
    • 900 Posts
    • 3,807 Thanks
    ladymay
    Up and at 'em, boys!

Packed and ready to go, quick brekkie with the mothership first though. This week has flown and I really need to sort out my list while I'm away - there's just no time!!
    New Job and New Business
    2018 Aim - Save 10k
    • DebtFreeDuo
    • By DebtFreeDuo 13th Apr 18, 10:01 PM
    • 808 Posts
    • 4,136 Thanks
    DebtFreeDuo
    I haven't managed to have a full read through but had a quick read through, how exciting about a potential date number 2! It sounds like you're doing well and hopefully being referred for CBT will help you massively. I will be back soon for a full update soon, I just have so much to keep on top of with my exams fast approaching!
    Debt free by Christmas 2018 #004: 2565.82/7445.69
    2018 in 2018 #25: 674.21/2018
    SPC 586
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,014Posts Today

6,622Users online

Martin's Twitter