Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ladymay
    • By ladymay 15th Oct 17, 10:13 PM
    • 919Posts
    • 3,944Thanks
    ladymay
    Starting over...
    • 15th Oct 17, 10:13 PM
    Starting over... 15th Oct 17 at 10:13 PM
    Hi all!

It's been a while since I've used this website and forum, largely because I've been living abroad for a few years and BOY have I missed it! For the record, there's nothing remotely like MSE in Ireland and if I was much cleverer I would have loved to have started something similar.

The reason I'm rejoining the MSE clan is because in 12 weeks time (82 days to be exact) I'm moving back to Devon And while I'm really excited, I'm also extremely nervous to be starting over. I run a successful business here in Ireland that I'm hoping to bring over (but realistically it'll take at least 12 months to get to the same level - I'm a wedding singer if anyone needs one ), and the thought of being a 30-something who is going back to live with her mother is nauseating...

Financially I have no savings and 1700 on a credit card - I've put all my money into my business, so the plan is to save as much money as I possibly can before I move. I have a lot of work coming up but my day job is also self-employed so budgeting can be difficult while I wait for invoices to be paid.

I work mostly in the afternoons and evenings so I'm on the hunt for a temp morning or night time job for the next few months, but I'm also looking online for ways to earn a bit extra. I still have my UK bank account so I'm looking at doing the gambling websites using Top Cashback (I hate gambling so stopping after the minimum bet to get the cash back won't be an issue), and I write a bit in my spare time so I might try some of the task-based websites too.

Well, I think that's it for now. Wish me luck!
    Moved back to the UK 05/01/18
    New Job and New Business
    2018 Aim - Save 10k
Page 11
    • ladymay
    • By ladymay 10th Jan 18, 5:58 PM
    • 919 Posts
    • 3,944 Thanks
    ladymay
    Ooooh now this in intriguing......
    Originally posted by wishingthemortgaheaway
    Haha!!

So I have an old friend who I used to perform in musicals with when we were kids (15/16), and we hadn't seen each other in years because we both worked on cruise ships and lived in London (he's also a singer) but our paths just never crossed. When I was home at Christmas we went to see the new Star Wars movie and ended up talking for about 7 hours... Anyway, since then I've been thinking about him a lot and when I suggested meeting up he immediately said yes and that he was looking forward to catching up.

I'm definitely attracted to him but I have no idea if he feels the same way. I need to find a way of figuring this out subtly - any ideas???
    New Job and New Business
    2018 Aim - Save 10k
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 10th Jan 18, 6:29 PM
    • 1,473 Posts
    • 8,266 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    Haha!!

So I have an old friend who I used to perform in musicals with when we were kids (15/16), and we hadn't seen each other in years because we both worked on cruise ships and lived in London (he's also a singer) but our paths just never crossed. When I was home at Christmas we went to see the new Star Wars movie and ended up talking for about 7 hours... Anyway, since then I've been thinking about him a lot and when I suggested meeting up he immediately said yes and that he was looking forward to catching up.

I'm definitely attracted to him but I have no idea if he feels the same way. I need to find a way of figuring this out subtly - any ideas???
    Originally posted by ladymay
    Your subtle hints are in bold above
    7 hours of talking and an immediate yes to a request for another meet up?
    If I spent 7 hours talking to a lass there would definitely be an attraction there and if she then asked me to meet again I would also say AYE immediately

Good luck
    BUGGRITMILLENIUMHANDANDSHRIMP I TOLD EM! - Foul Ole Ron
    It is important that we know where we come from, because if you do not know where you come from, then you do not know where you are, and if you don't know where you are, then you don't know where you are going. If you don't know where you're going, you're probably going wrong.
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • wishingthemortgaheaway
    • By wishingthemortgaheaway 10th Jan 18, 7:23 PM
    • 1,478 Posts
    • 7,071 Thanks
    wishingthemortgaheaway
    I think there may be something to this - or else you are both at a point in your timelines where you just need someone similarly minded to hang out with/regress to teenage years with.

Have fun, enjoy it for what it is (a social event) and see what happens. No pressure!
    The 100 payment countdown (each payment = 400) 2018 Starts at 13/100 o/s 34,750.
    Jan 18 14/100 Feb 15/100 March 18/100 April 19/100 May 20/100 June 21/100
    Term Mortgage free date: October 2029 Current mortgage free date: April 2025 March 2024 Jan 2024
    MFW 2018 Challenge Member #162 1600ish/2,500
    • ladymay
    • By ladymay 12th Jan 18, 6:38 PM
    • 919 Posts
    • 3,944 Thanks
    ladymay
    So yesterday was lovely! I had great fun being a hair model for my friend - she's in final year of training - and obviously my hair looked great for last night, which was really fun!

We had dinner and wine, followed by cocktails (terrible idea). After a few round of Dutch courage, I asked him "So...... what's going on here?" At which point he said he felt a lot of chemistry but he was at a crossroads in his life but he really liked me, plus I might be heading off for several months with work so he doesn't know. We ended up having a bit of a smooch and then went to our respective parents' places (he's living at home atm as well). He's going on holiday tomorrow for two weeks so he said he's looking forward to seeing me when he gets back. So despite my hangover I've been grinning like a Cheshire Cat all day!

Oh, and my car passed its MOT - a few advisories but a clean bill of health! Next step is to register it for UK plates.

The only down side to yesterday was that Mum and I had our first argument. It's inevitable that these things are going to happen, and we talked it out before I left last night so we're all good. We agreed that we have to talk to each other and be careful with each other's feelings.

Today has been supremely lazy, but because a lot of payments came through I paid off my credit card! I'm not updating my signature again until the payment's cleared, and I know I might have to use it over the next couple of months, but I'm feeling good!
    New Job and New Business
    2018 Aim - Save 10k
    • wishingthemortgaheaway
    • By wishingthemortgaheaway 12th Jan 18, 6:58 PM
    • 1,478 Posts
    • 7,071 Thanks
    wishingthemortgaheaway
    Wow. A super night & day all round then (apart from the argument with your Mum)
    It sounds like you and boyo are at similar places in your life, which could be the start of a new adventure for the both of you.

Yay to mots and credit card clear offs - does this mean idiot boy's payment to you has cleared?

Also....
    You deserve a few very lazy days after all your hard work. When I'm reading about your days it feels like everything is moving at a million miles an hour. So, slow down, kick back and chill out for at least a few days.

Well done, you made it. (Oh and don't leave now that you are debt free)
    The 100 payment countdown (each payment = 400) 2018 Starts at 13/100 o/s 34,750.
    Term Mortgage free date: October 2029 Current mortgage free date: April 2025 March 2024 Jan 2024
    • ladymay
    • By ladymay 12th Jan 18, 7:56 PM
    • 919 Posts
    • 3,944 Thanks
    ladymay
    Wow. A super night & day all round then (apart from the argument with your Mum)
    It sounds like you and boyo are at similar places in your life, which could be the start of a new adventure for the both of you.

Yay to mots and credit card clear offs - does this mean idiot boy's payment to you has cleared?

Also....
    You deserve a few very lazy days after all your hard work. When I'm reading about your days it feels like everything is moving at a million miles an hour. So, slow down, kick back and chill out for at least a few days.

Well done, you made it. (Oh and don't leave now that you are debt free)
    Originally posted by wishingthemortgaheaway
    After everything's that's happened I'm not counting my chickens with my friend, but everything feels quite exciting at the moment!

And yes, Idiot Boy's payment finally came through so I don't have to worry about that anymore

Having a lazy day today has been great, I've got a few things to do this weekend but I intend on relaxing and walking a lot before cracking on with next week.

And it feels great to be debt free! But I'm aware that I'm not earning atm and I might have to dip into debt again temporarily to get set up with whatever's next. I have no intentions of going anywhere - this is my safe space! I also have no savings, pension plan or safety net so I have a few financial projects to start when I can...
    New Job and New Business
    2018 Aim - Save 10k
    • ladymay
    • By ladymay 12th Jan 18, 8:42 PM
    • 919 Posts
    • 3,944 Thanks
    ladymay
    Plan for tomorrow:

- Go to wedding fair and check it out as a potential vendor
    - Drop Mum to work and ask her boss for a temp job
    - Print off CV
    - Register car
    - Tidy flat
    - Sort music for Wednesday's audition
    - Get in touch with friend about meeting up
    - Update finances
    - Start looking at duo set lists (one of my friends has suggested we set something up)
    - NSD (except wedding fair entry)
    New Job and New Business
    2018 Aim - Save 10k
    • ladymay
    • By ladymay 13th Jan 18, 9:39 PM
    • 919 Posts
    • 3,944 Thanks
    ladymay
    - Go to wedding fair and check it out as a potential vendor Done
    - Drop Mum to work and ask her boss for a temp job Half done - her boos wasn't in
    - Print off CV Not done, I'll email it
    - Register car Half done, waiting on HMRC to confirm
    - Tidy flat Sure... Kind of...
    - Sort music for Wednesday's audition Nope
    - Get in touch with friend about meeting up Done
    - Update finances Done
    - Start looking at duo set lists (one of my friends has suggested we set something up) Nope
    - NSD (except wedding fair entry) Done, and Mum gave me change so it was a total NSD

There's plenty to be done but instead I am watching QI online and eating biscuits!
    New Job and New Business
    2018 Aim - Save 10k
    • ladymay
    • By ladymay 13th Jan 18, 9:41 PM
    • 919 Posts
    • 3,944 Thanks
    ladymay
    Tomorrow:

- Tidy up everything that has to go into storage
    - Take it to the storage
    - Drop Mum off at work
    - See middle brother and go for a long walk
    - Sort potential duo music
    - Sort music for next week's audition
    - Finish tidying
    - Clean flat
    - NSD
    - Contact Mum's boss for potential temp job
    New Job and New Business
    2018 Aim - Save 10k
    • ladymay
    • By ladymay 14th Jan 18, 5:45 PM
    • 919 Posts
    • 3,944 Thanks
    ladymay
    - Tidy up everything that has to go into storage Done
    - Take it to the storage Half down, have to finish tomorrow
    - Drop Mum off at work Didn't need to
    - See middle brother and go for a long walk Done
    - Sort potential duo music Ongoing
    - Sort music for next week's audition Done, just need to practice!
    - Finish tidying Not done
    - Clean flat Nope
    - NSD Nope, that neither
    - Contact Mum's boss for potential temp job Done, he doesn't have anything
    New Job and New Business
    2018 Aim - Save 10k
    • ladymay
    • By ladymay 14th Jan 18, 6:02 PM
    • 919 Posts
    • 3,944 Thanks
    ladymay
    This week has been so weird...

So, the good bits:

- I've finally moved back to Devon!
    - I've got a couple of auditions
    - I paid off my credit card and am currently debt-free
    - I went on a really nice date

And the rough stuff:

- My mum is driving me crazy and I have no privacy or space
    - I have no idea what I'm doing with my life
    - My anxiety has spiked

I've come up with a basic plan for this year...

Plan A

- Look for temp jobs
    - Get my nursing home entertainment up and running ASAP (update flyer, initial contact, send on emails, etc)
    - Get a cruise ship job for one of the companies I'm auditioning for this month and sail away

Plan B

- I've applied for an Entertainment Manager job, I can look for more of that kind of work

Plan C

- Stay in Torbay
    - Get the nursing home business up and running
    - Find agents, wedding fairs
    - Have business set up and profitable ASAP

I think I'll be here for at least another six weeks but I'm going to start looking for my own place. I'm just too used to my independence to live with family long term. Luckily the rent down here isn't too bad so as soon as I'm earning a full time wage I can focus on moving.
    New Job and New Business
    2018 Aim - Save 10k
    • wishingthemortgaheaway
    • By wishingthemortgaheaway 14th Jan 18, 6:34 PM
    • 1,478 Posts
    • 7,071 Thanks
    wishingthemortgaheaway
    Sounds like a good plan for the next few months.

Hope it all pans out for you.
    • ladymay
    • By ladymay 14th Jan 18, 9:33 PM
    • 919 Posts
    • 3,944 Thanks
    ladymay
    After I walked the dog I walked to the supermarket to buy chocolate. And then I remembered Sunday Trading Hours when I saw the darkness. And cried on the inside

Plan for tomorrow:

- Postpone doctor appointment and rearrange
    - Arrange dentist appointment
    - Put last storage stuff into garage space
    - Print off CV and headshot
    - Go over music for Wednesday
    - Look over registration for car
    - Contact my aunty for a coffee catch up
    - Make banana bread
    - See friend for tea
    - Fill up car
    - Get my 10K steps in
    - Shopping
    - Finish tidying
    - Clean flat
    - Not eat rubbish

Sooooo not much then!
    New Job and New Business
    2018 Aim - Save 10k
    • Mumoffourkids
    • By Mumoffourkids 14th Jan 18, 9:36 PM
    • 628 Posts
    • 3,142 Thanks
    Mumoffourkids
    I love the last item on your to do list. I think I need to add that onto mine for every day!

Good luck with getting your list completed especially the not eating rubbish!
    Total debt Dec 2017 23090.83
    Ma7 2018 3691.78 84.01% paid
    Emergency fund 150/600
    Total Savings 1328.05
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 14th Jan 18, 9:37 PM
    • 1,473 Posts
    • 8,266 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    Oh barnananananana bread... I love that
    Your welcome to mine anytime if you bring some
    It is important that we know where we come from, because if you do not know where you come from, then you do not know where you are, and if you don't know where you are, then you don't know where you are going. If you don't know where you're going, you're probably going wrong.
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • ladymay
    • By ladymay 14th Jan 18, 10:10 PM
    • 919 Posts
    • 3,944 Thanks
    ladymay
    I love the last item on your to do list. I think I need to add that onto mine for every day!

Good luck with getting your list completed especially the not eating rubbish!
    Originally posted by Mumoffourkids
    Ha! Thanks. I did mention I'm baking tomorrow, right?
    New Job and New Business
    2018 Aim - Save 10k
    • ladymay
    • By ladymay 14th Jan 18, 10:12 PM
    • 919 Posts
    • 3,944 Thanks
    ladymay
    Oh barnananananana bread... I love that
    Your welcome to mine anytime if you bring some
    Originally posted by UncannyScot
    First time using this oven, it could go very wrong! I'll let you know how it turns out...
    New Job and New Business
    2018 Aim - Save 10k
    • Mumoffourkids
    • By Mumoffourkids 14th Jan 18, 10:20 PM
    • 628 Posts
    • 3,142 Thanks
    Mumoffourkids
    Ha! Thanks. I did mention I'm baking tomorrow, right?
    Originally posted by ladymay
    Yeah but banana bread has fruit in so that makes it healthy
    Total debt Dec 2017 23090.83
    Ma7 2018 3691.78 84.01% paid
    Emergency fund 150/600
    Total Savings 1328.05
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 14th Jan 18, 10:24 PM
    • 1,473 Posts
    • 8,266 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    Yeah, Nanny Ogg claimed that Bananananana* Daiquiri was healthy cos it had fruit in it...

*She knew how to spell it but not when to stop...
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • ladymay
    • By ladymay 15th Jan 18, 9:27 AM
    • 919 Posts
    • 3,944 Thanks
    ladymay
    Ah thanks, you both made me chuckle

My friend has cancelled coffee - she has the dreaded lurgy - so that frees up a bit of time to get everything done...
    New Job and New Business
    2018 Aim - Save 10k
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,168Posts Today

8,427Users online

Martin's Twitter