Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • danaleigh
    • By danaleigh 15th Oct 17, 10:13 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 2Thanks
    danaleigh
    How much should I be paying my parents for rent?
    • 15th Oct 17, 10:13 PM
    How much should I be paying my parents for rent? 15th Oct 17 at 10:13 PM
    Hi everyone!

I've just finished university and started a new job where I'll be living at home. I was just wondering how much would be a fair amount to contribute towards the house for food/rent/bills etc. My parents have never been in this situation before so they don't really know how much to charge.

I'm thinking around 400 per month?
Page 2
    • annandale
    • By annandale 17th Oct 17, 1:17 PM
    • 920 Posts
    • 2,001 Thanks
    annandale
    My monthly rent is less than 400. It's 243.
    • svain
    • By svain 17th Oct 17, 1:19 PM
    • 338 Posts
    • 614 Thanks
    svain
    Assuming your parents are not struggling to cover rent/mortgage & bills etc .... there is no need for dramatic family meetings etc .... Just ask your folks how much they want you to contribute and go from there. All this dissecting of bills and costs etc is so unnecessary .

If you respect their home and their rules, most reasonable parents will ask for a token gesture as sign of respect. If you want to upgrade any of the utilities or want extra/specific food then i think its fair to cover that yourself in addition
    Last edited by svain; 17-10-2017 at 1:25 PM.
    • annandale
    • By annandale 17th Oct 17, 1:20 PM
    • 920 Posts
    • 2,001 Thanks
    annandale
    Rents will vary depending on where you live and whether you are in a council house. Housing association home or private let. Saying pay them what you'll pay in rent when you move out could vary massively depending on where you live
    • ska lover
    • By ska lover 17th Oct 17, 1:30 PM
    • 2,731 Posts
    • 6,644 Thanks
    ska lover
    My monthly rent is less than 400. It's 243.
    Originally posted by annandale

Do you rent a flat for that amount?

The op is including all food, rent and bills in the 400 figure
    The opposite of what you know...is also true
    • maman
    • By maman 17th Oct 17, 4:17 PM
    • 17,927 Posts
    • 107,312 Thanks
    maman
    It is a negotiation between you and your parents. Personally we only took around 50 from each of our daughters per week to cover food/utilities as our mortgage was paid off and they were only living with us temporarily so they could save up for deposits on house/flats. The understanding was that they saved a high percentage of their income to help with this and they did this and now both have their own properties.

I think if I was unsure whether they would save or could see they were wasting money I would have asked them for full market rent but they were both saving monthly more than moving out would have cost them in rent and bills. Luckily they are both sensible with money.
    Originally posted by enthusiasticsaver

We took a very similar line with our DDs although we told them we didn't want any money at all. Our costs hadn't really increased from 3/4 years previously when they'd left for university and we didn't have to help with their living costs elsewhere (student houses) any longer so if anything we were a bit better off financially when they came home for a while.

I think the conversation OP needs to have with her parents is what she thinks her longer term plans might be. Has she plans to leave again whether to move to another area or find a place of her own locally. Is she simply saving for a deposit on a rented flat or has she dreams of a mortgage.

To me, it's not a commercial decision based on rents or utilities or anything else but rather how the parents can help their DD going forward.
    • theoretica
    • By theoretica 17th Oct 17, 11:16 PM
    • 5,160 Posts
    • 6,412 Thanks
    theoretica
    How is that thoughtful and considerate?. Basically your parents didn't trust you to save any money so they felt they had to secretly save money for you. If they didn't need the money they should have taught you how to save it yourself instead and how to get the best return on your savings.

Also don't forget this was your money they gave back to you so don't feel too grateful!
    Originally posted by takman
    I disagree. When someone gives me a present I don't add up everything I have given or paid them. It is a very different feeling being a fully contributing member of a household to being financially supported. I guess people who like being supported might try to give that feeling to loved ones by supporting them, while people who like paying a fair share and being an equal adult might try to give that different feeling to loved ones. If they later give a financial present when it will be appreciated, it doesn't change the past and the family dynamic at that time.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
    • Normal Bloke
    • By Normal Bloke 12th Mar 18, 12:34 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Normal Bloke
    Why are we asking this?
    Many of us have offspring ('children' seems to indicate dependence) who live in our house. Many others have family members living in others houses. Yet more live in houses that they own or, at least, are mortgaged to.
    As far as I can see, none of the responses relate to the capital costs of ownership nor the ongoming costs of maintenance.
    Whilst 'market rent' seems harsh - and is - this reflects the true cost of ownership and maintenance. The reponses also fail to reflect the honest needs of elderly parents and howmeowners.
    The simple answer is that if you can afford the market rent you should offer this to your parents - food cost!s
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 12th Mar 18, 8:35 AM
    • 20,048 Posts
    • 53,772 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Many of us have offspring ('children' seems to indicate dependence) who live in our house. Many others have family members living in others houses. Yet more live in houses that they own or, at least, are mortgaged to.
    As far as I can see, none of the responses relate to the capital costs of ownership nor the ongoming costs of maintenance.
    Whilst 'market rent' seems harsh - and is - this reflects the true cost of ownership and maintenance. The reponses also fail to reflect the honest needs of elderly parents and howmeowners.
    The simple answer is that if you can afford the market rent you should offer this to your parents - food cost!s
    Originally posted by Normal Bloke
    Just to point out that this post ^^^^ is in answer to a question posed 5 months ago.

Additionally, the OP of the thread made just the one post and hasn't logged on since October 2017 - so she's not listening.

• andydownes123
    • By andydownes123 12th Mar 18, 9:25 AM
    • 208 Posts
    • 288 Thanks
    andydownes123
    Although 400 seems fair in terms of real-world costs (a bedsit near me including all bills and WI-FI is just shy of 400 a month). I, personally, would feel that 400 is steep for living in your own family home. 200 is probably fairer, considering you are probably trying to save for your own place as well?
    • pearl123
    • By pearl123 12th Mar 18, 12:15 PM
    • 1,379 Posts
    • 2,064 Thanks
    pearl123
    Ask your parents how much they would like. You might as a result get away with spending less.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 12th Mar 18, 1:43 PM
    • 20,048 Posts
    • 53,772 Thanks
    Pollycat
    The OP posted at 10:13pm on 15th October 2017.
    She logged off at 10:22pm on 15th October 2017 - before she'd had any replies.
    She's not logged back on since.

The OP isn't listening - and probably isn't likely to answer any questions either.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,975Posts Today

5,951Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin