Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • rentalforever
    • By rentalforever 13th Oct 17, 1:47 PM
    • 20Posts
    • 1Thanks
    rentalforever
    British Gas boiler installation quote - full system
    • 13th Oct 17, 1:47 PM
    British Gas boiler installation quote - full system 13th Oct 17 at 1:47 PM
    Helping my parents sort out their heating system as they've got a really old (about 18 years old) Ariston Combi boiler and it's been a bit flakey in recent weeks. Figured it's time to bite the bullet and sort out the entire system, some of the radiators no longer work due to leaks.

We've got an all-inclusive quote from British Gas for a Worcester-Bosch 30i ERP with 6 radiator removal+install (2x small, 2x medium, 2x large). Scaffolding included as flue is not accessible.

All this was quoted at 7200, I've talked them down to 6500. Is that a good deal? Would prefer BG for this job as I have more confidence they'll do a proper job and if they don't, it's not like they can pack up and disappear.
    Last edited by rentalforever; 13-10-2017 at 2:09 PM.
Page 2
    • rentalforever
    • By rentalforever 15th Oct 17, 10:12 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    rentalforever
    Asked three locals, 2 from Worcester-Bosch list and 1 from checkatrade:

1 couldn't be bothered to come out
    1 wanted to quote for a job where he wanted the easiest route for everything (e.g. wanted to leave piping exposed to avoid lifting up carpets) and saying scaffolding wouldn't be needed. Didn't inspire confidence that the job would be done properly
    1 came out to do a survey and said a ball park would be 5k but would come back to me with a formal quotation - that was a week ago and haven't heard from him since even though I've chased

As I've said to those who aren't a fan of BG, if they do a poor job they're a national installer and they won't be able to run away from the job. And yes the policy is if there are any extra things that crop up, they absorb the cost.
    • langsmith
    • By langsmith 16th Oct 17, 1:29 PM
    • 82 Posts
    • 28 Thanks
    langsmith
    This is the breakdown before discounts applied:

Originally posted by rentalforever
    Well over priced for what you are getting. This should be in the approx. 3.5k tops, probably a little less. I guess you're entitled to the 'Free boiler', which it most certainly is not.
    • thegasmon
    • By thegasmon 16th Oct 17, 8:39 PM
    • 39 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    thegasmon
    What area are you in? BG are expensive but you do get a little peace of mind being large company. That said the installs I see from them are no better or worse than most I come across.
    • littlerock
    • By littlerock 17th Oct 17, 12:11 PM
    • 1,468 Posts
    • 212 Thanks
    littlerock
    My local c/h installers are listed on Which approved ch installers list. I had to give a verbal reference and written reference for this. Have you thought of trying a local installer from the Which approved list?
    • mpet
    • By mpet 19th Oct 17, 4:12 PM
    • 401 Posts
    • 216 Thanks
    mpet
    We always use Swale heating (I think they cover London & the Home Counties).

This was after (many years ago now) arranging for British Gas to change a back boiler and upgrade our system - they sub-contracted the work to Swale who did a great job. Three house moves later and we have used Swale every time for upgrades/ new installations. The cost has in my opinion always been very fair
    • southcoastrgi
    • By southcoastrgi 19th Oct 17, 11:28 PM
    • 5,458 Posts
    • 3,142 Thanks
    southcoastrgi
    Way over priced, BG are prob paying less than 50% of the price you are being charged for that boiler, BG are a company no different to your local installer apart from they have more people working for them, the boiler is covered by the manu so if they are throwing in their cover for free that’s a complete waste of money
    I'm only here while I wait for Corrie to start.

You get no BS from me & if I think you are wrong I WILL tell you.
    • choccyface2006
    • By choccyface2006 23rd Oct 17, 8:02 PM
    • 2,262 Posts
    • 1,735 Thanks
    choccyface2006
    Hi,

Our conventional gravity system to combi (no rad work involved) install completed today, BG quoted 4K (with Hive), local tradesman 1 3, local tradesman 2 2k.4 (vaugue quote) and local tradesman 3 2k.

We didn't go with the last quote simply because of the price but because his family run company is well regarded in the area, his price was not only extremely competitive but fixed no matter how much extra work was involved (lots) and his spoke so much sense with regards to our choice of boiler.

The chaps that did it were absolutely lovely and even though the job ran on an extra day the price remained the same. They did all the little things too, cleaned up impeccably, registered the 5 year guarantee and we can go straight to him if we have any issues in those first 5 years.

(Cheshire)

Sarah

• plumberpaig
    • By plumberpaig 31st May 18, 1:44 PM
    • 47 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    plumberpaig
    Well over priced for what you are getting. This should be in the approx. 3.5k tops, probably a little less. I guess you're entitled to the 'Free boiler', which it most certainly is not.
    Originally posted by langsmith

The only defense I can put up for this quote is that at least they didn't try and rip you off too much for the boiler. A busy company will be getting this boiler for 875-900. A lot of the work is part of the installation and shouldn't really be quoted separately.

A good local independent company would have quoted 3500 for this work, possibly less. Find a local company who you can trust - then use them!
    • John-Paul Harris
    • By John-Paul Harris 6th Aug 18, 9:38 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    John-Paul Harris
    Hi, it seems a high quote. You could probably get that down to 3k with a local company.

We're based in liverpool if that helps

Aigburth plumbing & heating

Thanks john
    • MichaelDH
    • By MichaelDH 15th Aug 18, 3:02 PM
    • 131 Posts
    • 566 Thanks
    MichaelDH
    Our house had never had central heating until we moved in. We used a local contractor to install a Baxi 33 Combi boiler, large double rads in living room, dining room and hall, small double in kitchen, large doubles in 2 bedrooms and a small double in small bedroom plus a full height towel radiator in bathroom. Total over kill but we like a toasty house! All rads have thermostats on accept for in the hall. We had a nest thermostat installed, a magnatec boiler filter and all pipework, and boiler has a 10 year warranty. All for 3,500.

Hope this helps.
    Starting Balance August 2016: 170,199.00 | Current Balance (4th October 2017): 164,720.53
    OP's to date (starting August 2017): 906.58

Target: Balance below 160,000.00 by June 2017
    • stator
    • By stator 15th Aug 18, 6:13 PM
    • 6,650 Posts
    • 4,495 Thanks
    stator
    This thread is about a year old. Not much use posting in it now.

OP could come back and tell us if BG did a good job?
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

258Posts Today

1,625Users online

Martin's Twitter