Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • AubreyMac
    • By AubreyMac 13th Oct 17, 1:00 PM
    • 1,417Posts
    • 3,154Thanks
    AubreyMac
    Office..........for life
    • 13th Oct 17, 1:00 PM
    Office..........for life 13th Oct 17 at 1:00 PM
    I got a new laptop.

Previously I've had my desktop which lasted about 9 years, it ran on vista. I kept it until it totally died as my computer/internet usage is minimal so it wasn't worth me getting a new one until I really had to, and now is the time.

My new laptop only has a Office 365 trial. I've looked into buying it but the options are for 1/3/5/10 devices for a year. Now what happen to buying it once and it lasting forever (or at least until you're ready to keep with the times)?

If I buy office for a year, what happens after the year? does it just stop?

My desktop had office 2010 I think and it didn't ask me to re-buy each year.
Page 4
    • joeypesci
    • By joeypesci 10th Nov 17, 3:35 PM
    • 508 Posts
    • 184 Thanks
    joeypesci
    Out of interest, if you leave their employment, are you expected to uninstall it?
    Originally posted by dunroving
    Yes you are but no one would ever know and MS never bother checking it would cost to much money for them to check.
    • antonic
    • By antonic 2nd Dec 17, 6:15 AM
    • 1,805 Posts
    • 2,637 Thanks
    antonic
    Thanks for the tip people.

I have bought my dad Office 2016 for Christmas from Amazon (cost me 10) and it works perfectly.

Got myself a copy for 10 through a Home Use Program , and again it works perfectly !.
    LBM Sept 2005 spoke to Payplan - brilliant !
    Dec 2005 debt 21.959.64 + HBOS Int 1769.32
    June 2013 debt 0.00
    DF status confirmed by email 10/07/13
    DFW Long Hauler 297
    • henm2
    • By henm2 2nd Dec 17, 12:44 PM
    • 667 Posts
    • 331 Thanks
    henm2
    I would avoid the hassle. Just download Libre Office. It works fine for free.
    • LeeUK
    • By LeeUK 2nd Dec 17, 12:45 PM
    • 5,995 Posts
    • 2,725 Thanks
    LeeUK
    Office 2016 - Cracked Edition. Winner.
    • were
    • By were 2nd Dec 17, 3:20 PM
    • 627 Posts
    • 374 Thanks
    were

I have bought my dad Office 2016 for Christmas from Amazon (cost me 10) and it works perfectly.

Got myself a copy for 10 through a Home Use Program , and again it works perfectly !.
    Originally posted by antonic
    <The devil inside me told me to type this> I would have bought the 3.50 licence, and with the change you and your dad could have sat in a pub and had a beer. Also the Pro Plus licence gives you Outlook, Publisher, Access and Skype for Business too

Disregarding what any opinion here, and no matter who you buy it from, or how you buy it, so long as it is MS say it is valid, you are good.

Personally, I use the free LibreOffice. For something free and small and in the past was VERY compatible Abiword from https://www.abisource.com was awesome.

LeeUK on post #56 has it right when he said to download the iso, as Once MS stop supporting a product they usually remove ALL the related material including patches, fixes and questions.
    Last edited by were; 02-12-2017 at 3:26 PM.
    • joeypesci
    • By joeypesci 16th Dec 17, 4:04 PM
    • 508 Posts
    • 184 Thanks
    joeypesci

Originally posted by antonic
    For 10? That doesn't sound like a legit copy.
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 16th Dec 17, 4:17 PM
    • 4,509 Posts
    • 4,541 Thanks
    DoaM
    For 10? That doesn't sound like a legit copy.
    Originally posted by joeypesci
    If they paid 10 then they paid 5p too much.

9.95 is the standard price (as I remember) for the HUP version of Office .. direct from MS themselves.
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • kittie
    • By kittie 19th Dec 17, 7:43 PM
    • 12,430 Posts
    • 78,621 Thanks
    kittie
    I have spent half a day uninstalling office 365 trial, downloading from the amazon link (29) re-starting uninstalling and re-installing, to find eventually that the activation code is invalid. I have had enough of this and have claimed a refund from amazon, just took a look at sub 4* reviews and it tells me everything I need to know ie dodgy

I have installed apache open office on my new dell windows 10 laptop. Used to have it on windows 7 on another laptop, only used it for opening programmes and it never let me down. I had word on that laptop, the only programme I needed

This apache office is fantastic, a very similar appearance to my old word programme, no bells and whistles that I would never use. Plenty of tutorials on youtube too and free
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 20th Dec 17, 9:45 AM
    • 3,702 Posts
    • 2,961 Thanks
    AndyPix
    Yes I know what a Volume Licence is.

I could be a system builder and buy a load of cheap licenses from Microsoft to install Windows and Office. Then I could decide to install Linux instead or not build the systems at all. I then sell the licences off on eBay...
    Originally posted by LeeUK

This is not what a volume licence key is.

You dont get loads of seperate keys

You get one VOLUME licence key, that can be used to activate many installs

What you are describing is an OEM bundle of licences
    Running with scissors since 1978
    • libra10
    • By libra10 31st Mar 18, 5:16 PM
    • 10,291 Posts
    • 205,033 Thanks
    libra10
    Just got back to this and have bought a licence key for Office 2016 from Ebay.

Later this evening or tomorrow I intend to download the new programme, can someone advise whether I need to uninstall my current Office 2007 programme before downloading new software, or will it overwrite old copy?

I will back up documents first.

Thank you
    • Stemma
    • By Stemma 31st Mar 18, 5:22 PM
    • 754 Posts
    • 4,513 Thanks
    Stemma
    I got this from ebay 2 months ago. I didn't have to uninstall. works perfectly and I'm glad I found this thread
    Don't fear change. You may lose something good, but you may also gain something great.
    • LeeUK
    • By LeeUK 31st Mar 18, 5:36 PM
    • 5,995 Posts
    • 2,725 Thanks
    LeeUK
    As Stemma says above, just install over the top of your old office. I did this recently when I upgraded from Office 2007 to 2016.

If you have any older Office programs that are not in Office 2016 (Like InfoPath and Groove) then they will be left in a separate start menu folder.
    • LeeUK
    • By LeeUK 31st Mar 18, 5:39 PM
    • 5,995 Posts
    • 2,725 Thanks
    LeeUK
    This is not what a volume licence key is.

You dont get loads of seperate keys

You get one VOLUME licence key, that can be used to activate many installs

What you are describing is an OEM bundle of licences
    Originally posted by AndyPix
    Some of these cheap sellers are selling VOLUME licenses though, hence why some of the sellers only allow you to buy ONE key as they don't want you to find out.
    • libra10
    • By libra10 31st Mar 18, 5:53 PM
    • 10,291 Posts
    • 205,033 Thanks
    libra10
    Thank you Stemma and LeeUK for your advice.

I will download the new software this weekend and let you know how I get on.

Much appreciated.
    • unforeseen
    • By unforeseen 31st Mar 18, 6:24 PM
    • 2,745 Posts
    • 3,486 Thanks
    unforeseen
    Some of these cheap sellers are selling VOLUME licenses though, hence why some of the sellers only allow you to buy ONE key as they don't want you to find out.
    Originally posted by LeeUK
    And there is a greater chance of a VLK being blacklisted. It happened with Windows 7
    • libra10
    • By libra10 2nd Apr 18, 2:20 PM
    • 10,291 Posts
    • 205,033 Thanks
    libra10
    Update - new download went alright, no problems.

Do I need to uninstall Office 2007 from Control Panel or leave installed?

Thank you.
    • LeeUK
    • By LeeUK 3rd Apr 18, 12:31 AM
    • 5,995 Posts
    • 2,725 Thanks
    LeeUK
    Update - new download went alright, no problems.

Do I need to uninstall Office 2007 from Control Panel or leave installed?

Thank you.
    Originally posted by libra10
    Just leave it and install Office 2016 - it will do it's thing e.g remove what isn't needed it's self during install.
    • dipsomaniac
    • By dipsomaniac 3rd Apr 18, 6:46 AM
    • 5,824 Posts
    • 2,279 Thanks
    dipsomaniac
    i had problems (error messages) at work when IT bod installed office 2016 over office 2003. Had to uninstall 2003
    "The Holy Writ of Gloucester Rugby Club demands: first, that the forwards shall win the ball; second, that the forwards shall keep the ball; and third, the backs shall buy the beer." - Doug Ibbotson
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 3rd Apr 18, 1:48 PM
    • 3,702 Posts
    • 2,961 Thanks
    AndyPix
    Uninstall office 2007 first - you will no longer be using it
    Running with scissors since 1978
    • libra10
    • By libra10 3rd Apr 18, 1:59 PM
    • 10,291 Posts
    • 205,033 Thanks
    libra10
    Thank you for advice.

I had already installed Office 2016 over Office 2007.

The control panel is showing Office 2007 separately. The new programme seems to be working perfectly. Will it cause any problems if I now uninstall 2007 version?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

320Posts Today

3,790Users online

Martin's Twitter