Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    • kates08
    • By kates08 12th Oct 17, 1:52 PM
    • 76Posts
    • 92Thanks
    Buyer progressing before chain is complete
    • #1
    • 12th Oct 17, 1:52 PM
    Buyer progressing before chain is complete 12th Oct 17 at 1:52 PM
    Our buyer has booked their survey in for our house, but the top of the chain isn't complete yet. We've offered on a house which has been accepted, but our vendor has yet to secure their next property so we have instructed a solicitor but asked them not to progress until the chain is complete.

    Should we be concerned that our buyer has booked in the survey? We have no intention of pulling out but we're a bit worried that they won't be willing to wait once they have it done.

    We were FTB buying a chain free property last time so we aren't sure about the process of being in a chain.
Page 1
    • Surrey_EA
    • By Surrey_EA 12th Oct 17, 1:59 PM
    • 1,553 Posts
    • 2,042 Thanks
    • #2
    • 12th Oct 17, 1:59 PM
    • #2
    • 12th Oct 17, 1:59 PM
    Have you, or your EA, made clear to your buyers that the sale of your property is conditional on the chain above being complete?

    In some ways it's a positive sign that your buyers are keen. However, it is a mortgage valuation (assuming they require a mortgage) in addition to the survey, then it will mean their mortgage application is progressing. Once a mortgage offer is issued it will have an expiry date, usually 6 months from the date it is issued, but could be less. Therefore, this restricts your buyers to a date they must complete by, or face having to go through the mortgage application process again.
    • dpearson86
    • By dpearson86 12th Oct 17, 2:53 PM
    • 55 Posts
    • 52 Thanks
    • #3
    • 12th Oct 17, 2:53 PM
    • #3
    • 12th Oct 17, 2:53 PM
    When I put an offer on the house I'm buying (FTB) and it was accepted I got a survey arranged within a week, I wanted to know quick if there was anything wrong with the property before I started choosing/instructing solicitors.

    To give you a timeline I'm on week 16 since the offer was made and accepted (same day) I knew the chain wasn't complete and the vendors hadn't found a property but if there was something wrong I wanted to have plenty of time to find somewhere else.

    I've been told yesterday I should have the keys to the property by week 19, if there is a delay (which I hope there isn't) I know I have until Christmas Eve until my mortgage offer expires, I just liked knowing that the house wasn't a dud before I spent anything other than a surveyor cost.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,792Posts Today

6,506Users online

Martin's Twitter