Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    • Grable
    • By Grable 11th Oct 17, 10:10 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    A chargeable event & tax
    • #1
    • 11th Oct 17, 10:10 PM
    A chargeable event & tax 11th Oct 17 at 10:10 PM
    My mother died earlier this year, leaving a life insurance policy which she had taken out 11 years ago. It named me, my brother and her as lives insured. My brother and I have now cashed in the policy, which has given us a sizeable chunk of cash as a 'chargeable event' for tax purposes. The combination of the gain and my normal income hasn't brought me to the higher tax rate threshold - at least I don't think it has, although I'll need to check the interest on my savings.
    Because my income is usually PAYE only and I have nothing to claim for, I don't usually fill in a tax return. I'm wondering, though, if I should this year in view of the 'chargeable event'. And if I should, when does it need to be done? The gain was made in September this year.
Page 1
    • purdyoaten2
    • By purdyoaten2 11th Oct 17, 10:19 PM
    • 868 Posts
    • 421 Thanks
    • #2
    • 11th Oct 17, 10:19 PM
    • #2
    • 11th Oct 17, 10:19 PM
    You would only need to inform HMRC if the chargeable event brought you into higher rates iof tax. Even then there may be top slicing relief available. More details of income and the chargeable event details needed.
    purdyoaten lost his password
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,371Posts Today

6,792Users online

Martin's Twitter