Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    • dannygcfc23
    • By dannygcfc23 11th Oct 17, 1:42 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Recovering Statements from old/closed account
    • #1
    • 11th Oct 17, 1:42 PM
    Recovering Statements from old/closed account 11th Oct 17 at 1:42 PM
    My father died in 2011, my uncle was given access to his bank account to presumably pay off bills, funeral fees etc. We recovered the money covering some of these things in a suit against a hospital (wont get into what happened), but from the damages recovered, funeral bills among other things were supposed to be paid with this money. If the money used from the bank account paid off these bills before the suit, surely the money gained from the suit goes back to the estate and to me as next of kin. However the money from the suit went to pay off these bills that i presumed had already been paid for from his current account when he passed away. I was told he had around 17k in his current account at time of his death. I have not seen any of this money as it paid off what I was led to believe funeral bills and other bills. However now i'm not so sure as things dont seem to add up. Is there a way I can go to the bank (Lloyds) and ask for statements from his presumably now closed current account to see what went out of his account after he died to see what was paid for?
Page 1
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 11th Oct 17, 2:13 PM
    • 7,414 Posts
    • 7,973 Thanks
    • #2
    • 11th Oct 17, 2:13 PM
    • #2
    • 11th Oct 17, 2:13 PM
    Lloyds won't provide you with information about someone else's account in these circumstances (where they've already granted access to a surviving relative, who'd have had some sort of authority to be involved).

    However, if (reading between the lines a bit) your uncle was the executor of the will and you believe he hasn't fulfilled his responsibilities properly by paying enough to you as beneficiary, then you'll have to challenge him with (probably) some legal assistance - it sounds like there's a lack of clarity from all your references to assumptions and hearsay though, so establishing actual verifiable facts will be key....
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,856Posts Today

9,066Users online

Martin's Twitter