Debate House Prices

In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non MoneySaving matters are no longer permitted. This includes wider debates about general house prices, the economy and politics. As a result, we have taken the decision to keep this board permanently closed, but it remains viewable for users who may find some useful information in it. Thank you for your understanding.

Brexit, the economy and house prices part 5

Comments

• wunferall
    wunferall Posts: 845 Forumite

That might explain why Varadkar has postponed the promised speech which was meant to be at 2:30 pm.
    Surely nobody thinks he put it off just to finish his cuppa.
    ;)
  • Tammykitty
    Tammykitty Posts: 1,005 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Filo25 wrote: »
    You are right that there certainly are differences between NI and rUK, but I think the issue on this though would be the perception of moving further from the UK and more towards Ireland which is pretty much the antithesis of everything the DUP stands for (or maybe I should say stands against!).

That's a difficult sell for them at a time when they have an effective veto over any deal, I wouldn't view the DUP as a party that compromises quickly or easily in any case!

The wording is vague enough to allow further haggling in Phase 2 assuming we get there, but the fundamental issue hasn't been addressed yet if we do proceed to Phase 2 on this basis.

My opinion seems to be that the DUP stands for whatever it needs to stay in power, reject an power sharing deal when it was the SDLP and UUP in power, accept practically the same deal when they are the biggest unionist party (and SF the biggest nationalist party).

The DUP hold more power now than they ever have in the history of the party - maybe with some sort of agreement over some NI specific issue (such as amnesty for British Army personnel for troubles related atrocity (For the record, I do not agree with this proposal), they can be persuaded to accept this deal.

It seems wrong that 6 DUP MP's can block an agreement which the Tories, the Irish government and the EU would all accept.

If the DUP say no to a hard border and no the special status for NI, but yes to leaving the EU, then they need to come up a solution for this, the Tories are trying to get a deal, which pacifies the DUP, but they haven't managed, and the DUP have to accept this.
  • Tammykitty wrote: »
    It seems wrong that 6 DUP MP's can block an agreement which the Tories, the Irish government and the EU would all accept.

They can't. It can only be blocked by the DUP, Labour, the SNP and the Lib Dems all voting together to block it.
  • Filo25
    Filo25 Posts: 2,131 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    They can't. It can only be blocked by the DUP, Labour, the SNP and the Lib Dems all voting together to block it.

The bigger issue for the government would be if the DUP withdraws from the Confidence and Supply arrangement, not that I think they will, no matter how tough they talk on the issue.
  • Filo25 wrote: »
    The bigger issue for the government would be if the DUP withdraws from the Confidence and Supply arrangement, not that I think they will, no matter how tough they talk on the issue.

Agreed. Arlene Foster is not going to hand the running of the country to a man who stood in silence to honour the same group of people that shot her father in the head.
  • ukcarper
    ukcarper Posts: 17,337 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Herzlos wrote: »
    Only one of the numbers is based on something and credible, and it ain't yours.
    Both figures aren’t credible but if you want to descend to Arklights level that’s up to you.
  • Filo25
    Filo25 Posts: 2,131 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Leaks indicating that there won't be a deal announced today
  • wunferall
    Update:

Re: Ireland & NI, it does indeed look very much like yet more lies.
    Katya Adler on Twitter has just said "no deal" on Brexit but "narrowing of positions" according to Juncker and "Confident we will conclude this positively" from May.

I foresee some malcontent ahead from the remoaners who were resolute in their conviction that the UK had bowed to EU pressure when it is now obvious that (at least so far) there is zero evidence that they have.
  • mayonnaise
    mayonnaise Posts: 3,690 Forumite
    wunferall wrote: »
    I foresee some malcontent ahead from the remoaners who were resolute in their conviction that the UK had bowed to EU pressure..
    Erm...it was the likes of Farage and The Express being resolute on a Brexit 'betrayal'. Not remoaners. ;)
    Don't blame me, I voted Remain.
  • wunferall
    edited 4 December 2017 at 5:33PM
    "I foresee some malcontent ahead from the remoaners who were resolute in their conviction that the UK had bowed to EU pressure when it is now obvious that (at least so far) there is zero evidence that they have."
    mayonnaise wrote: »
    Erm...it was the likes of Farage and The Express being resolute on a Brexit 'betrayal'. Not remoaners. ;)
    Really?
    Is this not you then, earlier today?
    mayonnaise wrote: »
    Basically, that's NI in the single market and customs union then.
    Is this what Brexiteers meant with taking control of our borders? :)
    Oops.
    :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family