Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • eddyinfreehold
    • By eddyinfreehold 9th Oct 17, 8:27 PM
    • 162Posts
    • 120Thanks
    eddyinfreehold
    0 WOW
    Holiday Property Bond
    • 9th Oct 17, 8:27 PM
    0 WOW
    Holiday Property Bond 9th Oct 17 at 8:27 PM
    Does anyone have any experiences of investing in the Holiday Property Bond company. It's a sort of timeshare/debenture company. The advantage to us is that they are up on wheelchair/disabled facilities and access and their places are pretty well located in the UK with a select few in the Med. Normally going on holiday is a complete pain because of things like beach access or wheelchair access etc. but our family experience with this company in Anglesey was great. Any thoughts?
Page 2
    • fred246
    • By fred246 10th Sep 18, 5:47 AM
    • 1,182 Posts
    • 669 Thanks
    fred246
    This thread reminds me of someone I knew who used to do all their shopping every week at Marks and Spencers. It cost them a small fortune every week. I kept suggesting things like going there every 3rd week or only buying things that were especially nice at Marks and Spencers. Their reply was always "The food is good at Marks and Spencers". It wasn't clever or money saving but that's what they wanted to do. HPB isn't clever or money saving but if you want to do it then do it.
    • Seronera
    • By Seronera 12th Sep 18, 2:03 PM
    • 336 Posts
    • 160 Thanks
    Seronera
    fred246 reminds me of one of those boring people who know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

I've never seen an airbnb property with a pool, a library, a gym, a piano, on site concerts and other musical/dance events, extensive well kept grounds and gardens, as well as on site help if you need it.

airbnb is fine if all he wants is amateur and a bed for the night, but HPB is in an altogether higher league, but then he can't possibly know as I bet he has never even been to an HPB property. That doesn't stop him claiming the expertise to tell people with 30 years of experience of HPB where they have gone wrong !

He seem more like a Leeds Market sort of guy than M&S if he insists on making such analogies.
    • Skibunny40
    • By Skibunny40 12th Sep 18, 2:36 PM
    • 140 Posts
    • 119 Thanks
    Skibunny40
    My parents are Bondholders and I've stayed at some of the properties, which are beautiful and all maintained to a very high standard far better than timeshare, (which my parents also have - they like holidays!!) However, the main attraction for them is the site management team: there's always someone to help, whether it's just advice on the local area or help in case of an emergency. They find it really reassuring compared with the often useless holiday reps on package holidays or the hit-and-miss customer care of Airbnb. Most Bondholders tend to be older, and I suspect place a value on this security of help, especially in a foreign country.
    • silverwhistle
    • By silverwhistle 12th Sep 18, 4:42 PM
    • 2,174 Posts
    • 3,070 Thanks
    silverwhistle
    I think fred246's scepticism is perfectly legitimate. I'm sure it suits some people and it's not for me, but I would get my spreadsheet out and look at the high fees, the cost even if not used, the off-shore nature of the investment, the lack of transparency, the bottom line cost and then move on.

Long term bond holders may be happy but that is not necessarily a recommendation to invest now.
    • fred246
    • By fred246 12th Sep 18, 5:02 PM
    • 1,182 Posts
    • 669 Thanks
    fred246
    I've never seen an airbnb property with a pool, a library, a gym, a piano, on site concerts and other musical/dance events, extensive well kept grounds and gardens, as well as on site help if you need it.
    Originally posted by Seronera
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/travel_news/article-3502670/The-expensive-Airbnb-listings-world-Listings-flash-stars-Beyonce-Justin-Bieber-splashing-7-000-NIGHT-stay-them.html
    • fred246
    • By fred246 12th Sep 18, 5:24 PM
    • 1,182 Posts
    • 669 Thanks
    fred246
    Q. What happens to my initial investment?
    A. After an initial charge of 25%, it is invested in a fund of holiday properties and securities.

It's always good to see an investment with low charges.
    • Skibunny40
    • By Skibunny40 12th Sep 18, 5:31 PM
    • 140 Posts
    • 119 Thanks
    Skibunny40
    In fairness, as an investment, it's a lousy idea!
    My parents said they viewed it as paying for an expensive one-off holiday initially ( ie. the initial lump sum investment) and then just wrote off that cash as you would if you'd had a fancy holiday. It was the price they were prepared to pay to access some amazing holiday homes...and admittedly they invested well before the days of Airbnb. I just consider myself lucky to benefit without having paid for it, and it will eventually pass down to me - hopefully a long time in the future.
    • onomatopoeia99
    • By onomatopoeia99 12th Sep 18, 9:19 PM
    • 4,804 Posts
    • 10,938 Thanks
    onomatopoeia99

7000/night? And you were complaining the HPB service charges were high

Make your mind up
    INTP, nerd, libertarian and scifi geek.
    Home is where my books are.
    • fred246
    • By fred246 12th Sep 18, 10:44 PM
    • 1,182 Posts
    • 669 Thanks
    fred246
    I was being told that Airbnb properties were basic but HPB was in a higher league. Airbnb have 4 million properties all accessible without spending thousands on a poor investment before using one.
    • Seronera
    • By Seronera 14th Sep 18, 7:34 PM
    • 336 Posts
    • 160 Thanks
    Seronera
    Keep shooting yourself in the foot Fred, its great fun reading your stuff. As a fount of holiday wisdom, give us your low down on Center Parcs, which some people love and others seem to hate.
    Last edited by Seronera; 14-09-2018 at 9:23 PM.
    • Twopints
    • By Twopints 14th Sep 18, 9:49 PM
    • 1,551 Posts
    • 2,327 Thanks
    Twopints
    Keep shooting yourself in the foot Fred, its great fun reading your stuff. As a fount of holiday wisdom, give us your low down on Center Parcs, which some people love and others seem to hate.
    What is it that Fred246 has said that is incorrect? Or will you just carry on with the personal attacks? Clearly he has struck a nerve...
    Not even wrong
    • fred246
    • By fred246 14th Sep 18, 9:52 PM
    • 1,182 Posts
    • 669 Thanks
    fred246
    Center Parcs is good but known to be a tad expensive. If you want a holiday there you just pay for the time you are there. No need to invest a small fortune in a poor investment before you go.
    • Seronera
    • By Seronera 15th Sep 18, 11:20 PM
    • 336 Posts
    • 160 Thanks
    Seronera
    Because he is spouting rubbish. Everybody makes their own value judgement on HPB and what is right for Fred is right for him, and nobody has challenged that. Over 40,000 people, mainly of the professional classes don't agree with him and yet he won't or can't accept that, and keeps trying to tell us what a dog we have put our money into when I and thousands of others don't agree. I think its one of the best 6000 I have ever spent.....but he can't fathom that one out, or when other people in the HPB say the same.

Finding a 7000 a night AirBnb property to try and disprove a point I made is ludicrous. HPB property is in a different league to most AirBnbs but if he wants to use them I have no problem. For some inexplicable reason he has a problem with me much preferring the HPB. In all honesty I think they are an entirely different product and not directly comparable......but then I use both and he doesn't, so I would know wouldn't I.

If the idea of the forum is to give people a fair overall view of the HPB, then Fred is not doing that. He has chosen to attack it, and that attack is largely unjustified as if it was as bad as he suggests it would not still be prospering after 35 years. Plenty of others have given a fair assessment of the plusses and minuses of the HPB and I feel no qualms about calling out Fred for trying to do a hatchet job, unfairly in my view.

Nobody has ever said HPB is cheap, but a lot of people don't want cheap, have examined the HPB offer pretty closely, and said "Thats fine by me, it does what I want". Why does he have such a problem with that ? Dissatisfied Bondholders are very rare creatures so Fred is missing something pretty fundamental, but he won't acknowledge that, he just bangs on again and again on the same point most of us took on board decades ago and live with perfectly happily.

You obviously think my attacks on him are unfair. Well now you know how most bondholders on here feel about his comments.
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 5th Oct 18, 4:11 PM
    • 6,539 Posts
    • 4,197 Thanks
    Hengus
    Some for the thread drift but does anyone know of a 'foolproof' way of getting HPB to stop sending unwarranted marketing material?
    • Seronera
    • By Seronera 12th Oct 18, 1:00 PM
    • 336 Posts
    • 160 Thanks
    Seronera
    Hengus Says "Some for the thread drift but does anyone know of a 'foolproof' way of getting HPB to stop sending unwarranted marketing material?"

If I were you I'd drop them a line and request to be taken off all mailing lists. This won't stop stuff that comes inside magazines and so forth, or general mail drops, but it should stop any direct addressed mailing.

Their address is HPB Management, HPB House, Old Station Road, Newmarket CB8 8EH

Good luck!
    • fred246
    • By fred246 12th Oct 18, 2:31 PM
    • 1,182 Posts
    • 669 Thanks
    fred246
    They take 25% off your initial investment that they say is for marketing costs so they can get more people to invest. That's why you are suffering Hengus. I remember contacting my trading platform when an investment said it had an initial 1% charge. Can't imagine paying 25%. That's why you lose a fortune if you cash in early. They then charge 2.5% annual charges. Ouch. That's for administering the fund, operating the booking system and 'supporting the bondholder'. I think I would need some support if I was fleeced of 25% of an investment immediately.
    • jaybeetoo
    • By jaybeetoo 18th Oct 18, 8:10 AM
    • 662 Posts
    • 333 Thanks
    jaybeetoo
    HPB is not an investment.
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 18th Oct 18, 8:57 AM
    • 6,539 Posts
    • 4,197 Thanks
    Hengus
    Hengus Says "Some for the thread drift but does anyone know of a 'foolproof' way of getting HPB to stop sending unwarranted marketing material?"

If I were you I'd drop them a line and request to be taken off all mailing lists. This won't stop stuff that comes inside magazines and so forth, or general mail drops, but it should stop any direct addressed mailing.

Their address is HPB Management, HPB House, Old Station Road, Newmarket CB8 8EH

Good luck!
    I have tried that - and failed. We have moved in the past 3 months, so the mailings are coming via mail re-direct. I may have to play the GDPR card.
    • fred246
    • By fred246 18th Oct 18, 5:55 PM
    • 1,182 Posts
    • 669 Thanks
    fred246
    HPB is not an investment.
    Originally posted by jaybeetoo
    The Holiday Property Bond website quite clearly says that it is an investment.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,750Posts Today

8,562Users online

Martin's Twitter