Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    • Furno50
    • By Furno50 9th Oct 17, 4:28 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    What can I claim on top of a student loan
    • #1
    • 9th Oct 17, 4:28 PM
    What can I claim on top of a student loan 9th Oct 17 at 4:28 PM
    I am hoping someone might have solid information on what I can claim, on top of a standard student loan?

    I am currently 45, got offered a place on a Photography and Graphic design degree course (full time) as a Mature student.
    I was hoping to start 2017/2018 Academic year, but I was not able to get everything sorted for the first week of the course, so I have deferred my enrollment until 2018/2019 enrollment instead

    I have never been to university, but I know that I can apply for a student loan. other than that, is there else can I apply for, to help meet my financial commitments?

    I currently work full time, and did ask if I could possibly make my position part time for the duration of the course, but was told that this will not be possible. So I would have to leave this role at some point before I start the course next year.

    I am happy to work part time hours (if that will increase the over all household income)
    My partner is a stay at home mum, but also is a carer to my disabled mother, for which she earns 264 a month.
    We have a son together (18 months old), and I have my 14 year old daughter (from previous marriage) living with me.

    I own my house (mortgage 350 a month).

    Before I get myself geared up to start the course next year. I want to know if it's a realistic option, or if I'm holding on to a pipe dream.

    Any help / guidance will be greatly appreciated.
Page 1
    • IAmWales
    • By IAmWales 9th Oct 17, 6:08 PM
    • 1,860 Posts
    • 3,925 Thanks
    • #2
    • 9th Oct 17, 6:08 PM
    • #2
    • 9th Oct 17, 6:08 PM
    Look at studying through OU (other distance learning courses are available). Also look at your subject choice, opportunities for photography graduates are very limited. Graphic design is fine, but the photography is on a par with media studies.
    • Furno50
    • By Furno50 10th Oct 17, 11:34 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    • #3
    • 10th Oct 17, 11:34 AM
    • #3
    • 10th Oct 17, 11:34 AM
    I know distance learning is possible, but I don't think I would maintain the same focus if I wasn't attending a physical lecture.

    Also, the reason I added graphic design, is because I know photography is rather limited unless going self employed, but as photography is my passion, it would definitely be the subject I combine.
    • Loppy42
    • By Loppy42 10th Oct 17, 11:41 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    • #4
    • 10th Oct 17, 11:41 AM
    • #4
    • 10th Oct 17, 11:41 AM
    Many students these days have to work part time to cover their costs or rely on additional contributions from their parents. As a mature student, with additional responsibilities it is going to be tough, but don't let that make you give up on your dream. People do manage it.

    There are scholarships, grants and bursaries available which are worth looking in to and they are not only related to specific universities or subjects, so read up on what you could apply for, plus lots of ways that students make money to supplement their income without a "proper" job, such as online freelance work (lots available in graphic design and photography), surveys and also look in to Funds4Uni.
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 10th Oct 17, 2:59 PM
    • 4,751 Posts
    • 3,555 Thanks
    • #5
    • 10th Oct 17, 2:59 PM
    • #5
    • 10th Oct 17, 2:59 PM
    • kw5
    • By kw5 20th Oct 17, 4:14 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    • #6
    • 20th Oct 17, 4:14 PM
    • #6
    • 20th Oct 17, 4:14 PM
    I have just started a Maths degree and have a similar situation, I get the full student loan for maintenance loan 8790, parents learning allowance 1617, adult dependent grant 2834. i have also just been awarded a hardship payment from the Uni to help with my twins college transport.

    HTH Kirsty
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,000Posts Today

7,971Users online

Martin's Twitter