Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    • Dawn248
    • By Dawn248 9th Oct 17, 10:53 AM
    • 104Posts
    • 18Thanks
    Eagerstates are to manage my flat. Help?
    • #1
    • 9th Oct 17, 10:53 AM
    Eagerstates are to manage my flat. Help? 9th Oct 17 at 10:53 AM
    I've moved into my flat, which is a conversion in an existing building and have just found out the management company is one with a very bad reputation; Eagerstates. Spent the morning reading horror stories online and am really worried.
    I called them and they told me they will be managing the flats at some time in the future but aren't at the moment.
    Do I have any way of avoiding this? I'm assuming the freeholder can choose whatever managing agent they like? If this name had been on the lease I wouldn't have bought it. I'm also worried about resale. By the time I sell, the management details will be on the lease and any prospective buyer will run a mile.
    Is there anything I can do? Thanks
Page 1
    • eddddy
    • By eddddy 9th Oct 17, 11:28 AM
    • 6,473 Posts
    • 6,361 Thanks
    • #2
    • 9th Oct 17, 11:28 AM
    • #2
    • 9th Oct 17, 11:28 AM
    There's a lot of legislation designed to protect leaseholders. It's not perfect, but as a starting point, I'd say it's worth getting familiar with that. For example:
    • If other leaseholders feel the same way as you, you can investigate buying the freehold or getting the 'Right To Manage'.
    • Or you can keep a close eye on what the management co is spending your money on. For example:
    Rights to further information (inspecting accounts and receipts) (Section 22 Landlord & Tenant Act 1985)

    Within a period of six months from receipt of the summary, the service charge payer (or the secretary of a recognised tenants’ association) may write to the landlord requiring him to allow access to and inspection of the accounts, receipts and any other documents relevant to the service charge information in the summary and to provide facilities for them to be copied.

    So you can ask questions like "Why are you charging £x to change a light bulb, when a local handyman would only charge £y or I would do it for free?"

    And "Why are you paying £x for insurance, when I have 3 quotes from other insurers at half that amount?"
    I think that often people get frustrated because their complaints are too vague, like "My service charge is too high". To get anywhere, you need to drill into the detail - and then there are legal ways that you can challenge unreasonable service charges etc.

    Have a look around for a lot of useful info.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,203Posts Today

8,412Users online

Martin's Twitter