Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • fooby1
    • By fooby1 9th Oct 17, 9:48 AM
    • 18Posts
    • 2Thanks
    fooby1
    TV Licensing - Do I Need to Remove Antenna Cables from room?
    • 9th Oct 17, 9:48 AM
    TV Licensing - Do I Need to Remove Antenna Cables from room? 9th Oct 17 at 9:48 AM
    I had a threatening letter from TV licensing informing me that my property is "under investigation" as I haven't applied for a TV license. I don't watch live TV and decided when they brought in the iPlayer catch up requirements that a subscription to BBC iPlayer isn't worth 147 a year.

I only watch Netflix, YouTube and very rarely 4od catchup. No antenna is plugged in to my TV, however there is a regular TV antenna and Sky satellite cable coming in through the wall. It's a rental, so I'd rather not chop the cables, but if they wanted to, could I be fined for having cables coming into my living room that could produce a live TV signal?
Page 7
    • Agent_Rothbard
    • By Agent_Rothbard 15th Feb 18, 10:47 AM
    • 32 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Agent_Rothbard
    there is a regular TV antenna and Sky satellite cable coming in through the wall. It's a rental, so I'd rather not chop the cables, but if they wanted to, could I be fined for having cables coming into my living room that could produce a live TV signal?
    Originally posted by fooby1
    I've seen very many alarming YouTube videos of Capita employees taking it upon themselves to install TV receiving equipment by plugging in unused cables. I have removed the plug from my aerial cable, stored it completely away in a different room and installed a piece of terminal block on the bare wires at the end of the cable. That way, unless the Capita employees fit a new plug, they cannot install TV receiving equipment (in the highly unlikely event that they gained entry with a warrant).

But if I move house, I can replace the plug on the aerial lead so that the new owners can make use of it.

That solution might work for you in your rental? It doesn't damage the cables in any way and can be reversed if you move.
    • Agent_Rothbard
    • By Agent_Rothbard 16th Feb 18, 7:31 PM
    • 32 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Agent_Rothbard
    ...or you could always fit one of these
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWKkYmG1G5s
    • Robisere
    • By Robisere 16th Feb 18, 10:31 PM
    • 3,015 Posts
    • 4,214 Thanks
    Robisere
    ...or you could always fit one of these
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWKkYmG1G5s
    Originally posted by Agent_Rothbard

Watching that video was worse than watching a TV with only one channel: Dave.
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 16th Feb 18, 10:41 PM
    • 14,022 Posts
    • 17,610 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    Personally, I don't think there's any need for "heroic measures" like locking the aerial socket of your TV.
    I'm a Board Guide on the The Money Savers Arms, Phones & TV, Techie Stuff, In My Home,
    and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there.

Any views (especially those on the UK TV Licence) are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • abudabi
    • By abudabi 15th Jan 20, 10:47 PM
    • 83 Posts
    • 49 Thanks
    abudabi
    To be on the safe side I would advise you to detune your TV ,if you have one, putting your TV on search for channels with no connection to an ariel will do this. Remove all aeriel cables from the room or tie them up in a bundle so they cannot reach your TV/Monitor You will get Goons from Capita claiming they want to come inside your property and check that you are legal. Dont let them in they have no authority to do so. Once you find out they are from Capita do not speak to them and for God sake dont give them your name. The Goons are on bonus schemes for getting people to court and where there is money there can be dishonesty. They give up after a couple of visits. You are now LLF (Legally Licence Free) The money you saved will pay for your Netflix/ Amazon video service
    Originally posted by mickthemikeman
    I've just got off the phone today from to licensing and they say I dint have to detune my tv only not to press the bbc I player app I have a freesat dish but only watch YouTube Netflix and itv hub but no live channels
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

133Posts Today

2,050Users online

Martin's Twitter