Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • AdventureWanted
    • By AdventureWanted 8th Oct 17, 10:10 PM
    • 544Posts
    • 1,616Thanks
    AdventureWanted
    Adventure wanted, but first we must rid ourselves of debt
    • 8th Oct 17, 10:10 PM
    Adventure wanted, but first we must rid ourselves of debt 8th Oct 17 at 10:10 PM
    Iíve ummed and aahed about starting a diary on here for a couple of months, but have decided that it is a good way for me to keep track of how our debt reduction is going and hopefully on those dark days when it feels like weíre getting nowhere I can remind myself of how things have improved.

Anywho, Iíll give a brief overview of our life/debt.

Iím a Mum to 3 Kids. Hubby is self employed and I Home educate the older 2 Kids. In August I finally had enough of our debts and decided to do something about it. After reading lots of diaries I downloaded ynab and took control of our budget. Our debts are due to a car loan, house repairs and mostly a lack of control over finances so monthly spending got out of control and we didnít really have much to show for it.

As at 1 August (LBM) our debts were:-
    CC1 - £5,185
    CC2 - £13,470
    Cc3 - £11,400

All of the credit cards are 0% and will be balance transferred to new 0% cards if we havenít paid them off at the end of the 0% deal.

The future -
    We would love to travel. Firstly weíd love to visit every county in the uk and then travel further afield to the likes of Canada and Australia. Hubby and I regret not taking the opportunities to see the world pre children, but are now very keen to share these adventures with our kids.

Weíd love to move to our forever family home, although we have no idea where in the country this would end up being in!

And more than those above weíd love to have savings for our childrenís futures and not waste the extortionate amount of money we do each month on debt repayments.

Iíll post my current debt situation post LBM in the next post.x
    LBM Aug 2017. DFD - Oct 2020 / Dec 2021
    CC1 - £0 / £5,185 1/8/17. CC2 - £484.00 / £13,470 1/8/17. CC3 - £10,220.00 / £11,400 1/8/17
    CC4 - £11,960.00 / £13,000 20/11/17
    2018 1% challenge - #1 - 61%.
    PAYDBX 2018 - #29 Pd £8,016.60 / £12,500
Page 5
    • AdventureWanted
    • By AdventureWanted 17th Dec 17, 9:21 PM
    • 544 Posts
    • 1,616 Thanks
    AdventureWanted
    Had another NSD today and yesterday wasnít too bad either, just a £50 shop from Tesco. Have had a lovely relaxing day today. Had a fun morning doing loads of jigsaws with the kids and then DH was home from work this pm. All morning we didnít have the tv on and it was heaven - the kids didnt miss it. Once itís on theyíre glued!! Has made me think that I may cancel our sky tv contract. Although not sure DH will agree. It sounds silly but the tv is our main entertainment in the evenings, but we should really spend more time reading. If i could cancel it or even reduce the price itíd be a pretty decent saving.

DH tried DC3s new car seat in the car today and I am so relieved that it fits! I had visions that the two new seats Iíd bought would mean that I couldnít have all 3 DC next to each other and either Iíd have to buy different seats or DC1 would have to be moved in to the seat in the boot! So very very relieved that itís all worked out and Iím now happier that the kids have all got very safe, which approved car seats.

In financial news, my brother repaid some money for a present iíd bought jointly for our nephew, so I transferred £16 to CC1.

Debt at 17/12/17
    CC1 - £955.00
    CC2 - £6,999.00
    CC3 - £10,940.00
    CC4 - £12,740.00

Total debt at 17/12/17 - £31,634.00
    Debt at 30/11/17 - £32,130.00 (paid £496 this month).

Have got a £120 Dd still to come out this month, but other than some small pads I wonít be able to do anything until I see how the grocery and fuel budget goes. Iím really hoping I can spend less on fuel this month, especially as so many of our groups have ended, although weíll be travelling to see family more so it may end up the same.
    • AdventureWanted
    • By AdventureWanted 21st Dec 17, 7:34 PM
    • 544 Posts
    • 1,616 Thanks
    AdventureWanted
    Gosh itís been a while since I last had a chance to post on here. DC3 has been poorly the last few days which has put most plans on hold. On the plus side I had to cancel a day out yesterday as DC3 was ill, so I paid the £20 I would have spent to CC1.

Today DC3 has developed a hacking cough, which is actually a bit of a relief, as before today she was just not eating much and being sick every now and then. Hopefully the cough means the cold is working itís way out of her system.

The DD for CC3 has come out today and Iíve also managed to pay £50 to CC1.

Debt roundup at 21/12/17
    CC1 - £885.00
    CC2 - £6,999.00
    CC3 - £10,820.00
    CC4 - £12,740.00

Total debt at 21/12/17 - £31,444.00
    Debt at 30/11/17 - £32,130.00 (£686 paid this month)

Tomorrow I have a large Tesco order being delivered. Hoping that I wonít have to go to the shops again this month. Think Iím going to have to have another look at my order tonight, as I know I have over indulged in some things (mainly chocolates) and it seems a bit silly really to spend so much and go over the top for one day. Also Iíll only regret scoffing so many chocolates afterwards. Would love to have some money left over in my grocery and fuel budget this month so I can pay a bit more off the debts, but looking at it at the moment it doesnít look overly likely.
    • jwil
    • By jwil 22nd Dec 17, 8:43 AM
    • 8,611 Posts
    • 26,521 Thanks
    jwil
    Hope you all have a lovely Christmas and New Year! xx
    "If you can dream it, you can do it". Walt Disney
    • AdventureWanted
    • By AdventureWanted 23rd Dec 17, 2:23 PM
    • 544 Posts
    • 1,616 Thanks
    AdventureWanted
    Hope you all have a lovely Christmas and New Year! xx
    Originally posted by jwil
    Thank you. Hope you & your family have a fantastic Christmas & new year too.
    • AdventureWanted
    • By AdventureWanted 23rd Dec 17, 2:36 PM
    • 544 Posts
    • 1,616 Thanks
    AdventureWanted
    Had a lovely day yesterday visiting my sister, niece & nephew. My kids absolutely adore their cousins, so was a really good day. DC3 is still poorly Luckily it only seems to be a cold, sore throat and hacking cough and not a sickness bug which is what I though she had originally. Still pretty horrible seeing her poorly, especially as she canít tell me how sheís feeling (other than crying).

Got paid for some additional work yesterday, which has meant that I could pay £510 off CC1. Balance is now £375, which should be paid by Jan.

Debts at 23/12/17
    CC1 - £375
    CC2 - £6,999
    CC3 - £10,820
    CC4 - £12,740
    Total debt - £30,934

Ooh just realised Iím in the next bracket. Hello £30! Hopefully I will be able to scrape in to the £29s at the end of Jan/beginning of Feb.

To anyone reading this, I wish you a very merry Christmas and happy, healthy & prosperous 2018.
    • AdventureWanted
    • By AdventureWanted 23rd Dec 17, 7:33 PM
    • 544 Posts
    • 1,616 Thanks
    AdventureWanted
    Just had a quick look on whatís the cost website. Have managed to reduce my DFD since starting this diary by 9 months to March 2021. Still a long way to go, but is definitely an improvement.

I have got goals in place for next year, which will be challenging, but Iím ready to bring the DFD down even further.
    • AdventureWanted
    • By AdventureWanted 27th Dec 17, 8:04 PM
    • 544 Posts
    • 1,616 Thanks
    AdventureWanted
    What a busy few days itís been. Christmas Day was a big success - the kids loved their presents and we had a lovely day playing with the DCs new toys, as well as eating loads of yummy food. In hindsight I think I could have scaled back on presents for DC1 & DC2. I added up yesterday how much I had spent for Christmas this year and itís such a lot of money. I had the money saved, but as I started buying bits in October Iíd kind of forgotten what i had already spent. Itís crazy how little you get for your money nowadays. The DC changed their minds quite late on about what they wanted from Father Christmas, so although I had finished shopping I went out and got them the new gift they were desperate for. Next year I definitely need to keep a better list of what I have already bought, choose a budget for each DC and stick to it, and buy stocking fillers when they are cheaper. I think the stockings ended up being very expensive, when they really didnít need to be.

For the last 2 days we have been at family gatherings, which has been pretty exhausting. Itís lovely seeing my family and the kids love seeing their cousins, but Iím starting to crave normal food (weíve had a buffet lunch both days) at normal times (weíve pretty much grazed all day!!), Iím also looking forward to staying at home all day. Tomorrow is our final family gathering, although DH doesnít want to go and to be honest Iíd happily give it a miss if it wasnít for the fact that my mum would be really disappointed (this time itís her brotherís family coming).

Spending wise itís been fairly good this week. Had to buy my brothers Christmas present today, get some fuel and will have to buy a birthday present tomorrow, (all budgeted for) but other than that havenít had to buy anything. Iíve also managed to resist the sales! I am currently counting down the days until Friday, when I get paid. I am looking forward to sorting out the ynab balances, transferring money to debt and doing an end of year round up. I should have a bit of money spare in a couple of categories which I can use to either pay off a CC or to the EF.

Next year I am determined to pay off a large chunk of the debt. I think since my LBM I have been quite good with budgeting, so Iím looking forward to seeing how far we can get with debt reduction when Iím disciplined throughout the year. Iíve joined a couple of challenges which will hopefully keep me on the straight and narrow and help me achieve my goal of paying £12,500 off our debt total.
    • AdventureWanted
    • By AdventureWanted 29th Dec 17, 8:39 AM
    • 544 Posts
    • 1,616 Thanks
    AdventureWanted
    Yesterday I reviewed ynab and managed to pay £24 off CC2. Is nice to pay something off this card. Not overly sure what we are doing today, so if I don!!!8217;t spend anything else I might be able to pay a little something extra before the end of the year.

We went to a few shops yesterday and I!!!8217;m quite pleased that I managed to avoid spending any money - I didn!!!8217;t even buy a coffee!! Had a lovely afternoon at my parents with my uncle, aunt and cousin. I haven!!!8217;t seen them in 3 years, which is crazy as they don!!!8217;t even live that far from us. Really must try harder to arrange family get togethers.
    • AdventureWanted
    • By AdventureWanted 29th Dec 17, 1:43 PM
    • 544 Posts
    • 1,616 Thanks
    AdventureWanted
    Iíve been paid today, so Iíve paid £325 to CC1. I only have £50 left to pay on this, which will be paid on 2nd Jan when the DD comes out . I would love to pay the balance today to clear it before the end of the year, but the DD wonít cancel in time

Debts at 29/12/17
    CC1 - £50.00
    CC2 - £6,975.00
    CC3 - £10,820.00
    CC4 - £12,740.00

Total debt at 29/12/17 - £30,585.00.

In January I will be able to start paying extra off CC2. It will be a challenge to see how low I can get the figure before the 0% period ends in July. If I can get the balance below £3.5K I will be very happy. I need to start decluttering the house and garage in the new year, so hopefully that will bring in a bit of extra money, as well as making the house look better.
    • AdventureWanted
    • By AdventureWanted 31st Dec 17, 7:16 PM
    • 544 Posts
    • 1,616 Thanks
    AdventureWanted
    Have made my final pad of 2017 today. Only a small £3.40 payment to CC2.

2017 debt roundup

CC1 - £50.00
    CC2 - £6,971.60
    CC3 - £10,820.00
    CC4 - £12,740.00

Total debt - £30,581.60

Overall since starting my journey in August the amount of debt I have now has increased slightly, due to needing to borrow money for DHs tax payments. However I!!!8217;m pleased with the direction things are going. I!!!8217;ve really taken to budgeting in the last few months and thinking more about purchases. I!!!8217;m hoping that 2018 will see me hit my debt payment goal of £12,500 (would be brilliant if I could top this, but not sure if it!!!8217;s possible!). Would also be fantastic if DH would have his LBM and be more sensible with his monthly spending money. Going to try hard to declutter our house and hopefully make a bit of money in the process.

Now off to catch up on other diaries. Wishing you all a happy new year!
    • AdventureWanted
    • By AdventureWanted 1st Jan 18, 2:58 PM
    • 544 Posts
    • 1,616 Thanks
    AdventureWanted
    Have made a pad of £6.60 to CC2 today. It!!!8217;s nice to make the first payment of 2018 and get the 2018 debt busting under way.

Have spent today sorting through the children!!!8217;s toys in the living room. We have a large ikea style unit with boxes, which we had previously put similar toys in the same box (eg box full of jigsaws), however those boxes very rarely got played with. I have spent ages putting an assortment of toys in each box, so most boxes have a toy for DC1, toy for DC2, a game and a couple of jigsaws in. I!!!8217;ve left a box out this afternoon and it!!!8217;s a hit so far.

During the sort out I!!!8217;ve managed to get rid of a travel guess who game which had bits missing, as well as a bag full of broken and rubbish toys. (Luckily the kids didn!!!8217;t spot me removing toys!!)

I!!!8217;m going to try really hard to declutter this year, so will make a note of what I have got rid of.

1. Travel guess who (bin)
    2. Bag full of kids toys (bin)

It!!!8217;s a small start with decluttering, but at least I!!!8217;ve started. Now to try and keep up the momentum throughout the year.
    • charlies tribe
    • By charlies tribe 1st Jan 18, 8:51 PM
    • 767 Posts
    • 5,607 Thanks
    charlies tribe
    Well done on getting rid of the toys, i really need a good clear through when the little ones aren't here otherwise every toy that goes in the bag is suddenly their favourite or the one they've been looking for.

Good luck in 2018, you've made a great start.
    LBM in April 17 - £7593/£33554 (22.6%) paid.
    2018 PAID OFF TARGET £1969/£5000 (39.8% paid)
    Mortgage@1 June 18 = £0/£76350 Total debt=£102311
    SPC #591
    • AdventureWanted
    • By AdventureWanted 2nd Jan 18, 7:46 AM
    • 544 Posts
    • 1,616 Thanks
    AdventureWanted
    Thanks Charlieís tribe. Next job is the toys in their bedrooms. Definitely need to sneak the toys out when they arenít watching!

My £50 DD for CC1 has gone out today, so that is CC1 paid off! So happy to have one less CC. Now need to work on bringing CC2s balance down. First challenge to get into the £5ks.

2018 goals:
    * £56.60 / £12,500 debt payment goal

Jobs for today-
    * I need to cancel my dd for CC1,
    * set up payment details for CC2, so I can make payments online rather than via card payment on their app.
    * sort through kids toys in their rooms
    * list DC2s car seat on gumtree

Ideally I need to sort though and vacuum pack up the kids clothes that theyíve just outgrown, but not sure if Iíll get a chance to do this with DC3 running round my feet. Such a hard dilemma with clothes, at the moment I just bag them up and put them in the loft in case we have another DC at some point. Also itís such a hassle to think about selling the mountain of clothes thatís there. In reality at some point I need to sort through the bits and remove items I donít particularly like, are past their best, etc, but itís such a daunting task to start. Thatís why it usually just gets put out of sight and out of mind for the time being. Although that being said itís been brilliant having all the clothes I need for DC3 from DC2.
    • AdventureWanted
    • By AdventureWanted 3rd Jan 18, 9:18 AM
    • 544 Posts
    • 1,616 Thanks
    AdventureWanted
    Yesterday didnít quite go the way I had planned. I didnít manage any of the jobs on my list, however I did make a start on clearing our cupboard under the stairs which was full of stuff. Managed to sort through some dvds and books to hopefully sell, as well as sort a small portion of loose paperwork & some bits for the charity shop.

Jobs for today-
    * set up payment details for CC2, so I can make payments online rather than via card payment on their app.
    * shred a mountain of old paperwork
    * see which online sites give the best price for dvds/books
    * get bits bagged up for CS (will take tomorrow)

On the finance front Iíve made a £15 payment to CC2 today.

Debt at 3/1/17
    CC1 - £0
    CC2 - £6,950
    CC3 - £10,820
    CC4 - £12,740

Total debt - £30,510

2018 goals - £71.60 / £12,500
    • AdventureWanted
    • By AdventureWanted 4th Jan 18, 8:56 PM
    • 544 Posts
    • 1,616 Thanks
    AdventureWanted
    I feel like Iíve had a pretty productive last couple of days decluttering the house. (Will post an update of what I managed to get rid of in a bit when I find my list!!) The kids Home Ed groups started back today, so I might not have quite as much time to sort bits out going forward.

I looked at a few sites online to give my dvds, books and cds to, but the money they offered was pathetic. 1p for a book which Iíd read once! So Iíve bagged them up to go to the charity shop where they will be able to get a bit more for it. I know I should try and sell more bits to help with the debt payments, but it only came to £3.

DH has just arrived home after his 6th 12 hour day at work. It will be nice to have him home for a couple of days. The 2 dayís extra work will be very handy, but I felt a bit like I was going crazy tonight. Some days having all 3 DC at home all day is hard work. I love them all dearly, but it can be quite relentless, especially with DC3 being so young and clingy. That being said I wouldnít have it any other way (well maybe DH Home helping would be nice!).

Jobs for today (yesterday)-
    * shred a mountain of old paperwork Started this. Itís taking forever!!
    * see which online sites give the best price for dvds/books Done. Price was awful.
    * get bits bagged up for CS (will take tomorrow) Done. 2 bags so far, but have just spotted a couple of other bits to add to the pile.
    • AdventureWanted
    • By AdventureWanted 4th Jan 18, 9:11 PM
    • 544 Posts
    • 1,616 Thanks
    AdventureWanted
    3) Fire stick box (had this box for yrs!)
    4) Fine mist spray box (bought 10 yrs ago!)
    5-6) Salt dough models x 2
    7) 2012 calendar
    8) Water filled teether (was DC2s)
    9) manual for car seat which was recalled years ago
    10-11) old bank & credit card statements
    12) brown cord jacket
    13) ceramic dip set (unopened gift)
    14) dictionary
    15) toy hammer & drill
    16-27) books x 11
    28) Gary Rhodes cookbook
    29-30) preschool workbooks (not used) x 2
    31) clock
    32) packet of new lanyards
    33-51) cds x 18
    52-73) dvds
    74) plastic building blocks
    • AdventureWanted
    • By AdventureWanted 5th Jan 18, 9:42 PM
    • 544 Posts
    • 1,616 Thanks
    AdventureWanted
    £25 paid to CC2 today. Balance now £6925. Getting closer to being in the next £100 category.

Finally got round to sorting through DC2s toys in her room, as well as having a general tidy of DC1&2s bedrooms. Managed to get rid of a bin bag full of rubbish, which was both pleasing and slightly disturbing!! Just need to sort through DC1s toys in his bedroom and then that!!!8217;s the toys sorted.

Decluttering list:
    75) Connector to plug old iPad into car stereo
    76-77) 2 x mini equestria girls dolls with missing legs!
    • charlies tribe
    • By charlies tribe 5th Jan 18, 11:56 PM
    • 767 Posts
    • 5,607 Thanks
    charlies tribe
    Well done on clearing card one and on the clear out too.

I know what you mean about the clothes, I've stored most of the bigger 2's clothes for any further children, 3 others later... they're still in the loft! I think there must be at least 20 bin bags full up there. I just can't bring myself to start sorting it.
    LBM in April 17 - £7593/£33554 (22.6%) paid.
    2018 PAID OFF TARGET £1969/£5000 (39.8% paid)
    Mortgage@1 June 18 = £0/£76350 Total debt=£102311
    SPC #591
    • jwil
    • By jwil 6th Jan 18, 3:58 PM
    • 8,611 Posts
    • 26,521 Thanks
    jwil
    Well done on clearing card 1

Well done too on the decluttering!
    "If you can dream it, you can do it". Walt Disney
    • AdventureWanted
    • By AdventureWanted 7th Jan 18, 4:40 PM
    • 544 Posts
    • 1,616 Thanks
    AdventureWanted
    Thanks Charlies tribe and Jwil.

Today has been a pretty good day. I!!!8217;ve got lots done, which I!!!8217;m pretty pleased about. Had a move round of some bookcases to move all of our home ed books into the dining room away from DC3s reach. Whilst moving the books I had a sort out and put some more cook books into the charity shop pile. I have no idea why I have so many or why I!!!8217;ve kept them for so long, as it!!!8217;s most probably been over 5 years since I!!!8217;ve even opened them let alone cook from them. Just need DH to sort through some of his bits now...

78-80 - cookbooks
    81 - old kindle (sold - yay!!)
    82 - dictionary
    83 - thesaurus

Rounded down my bank account today and paid £8 off CC2 and sent the odd pence to my emergency fund. Think I might continue sending the odd pence in my bank account every day to the emergency fund, as although it won!!!8217;t make a massive difference, it will help boost the figure without being missed.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,820Posts Today

8,093Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Nearly at the Cheshire Show. Doing an @itvMLshow there today and tomorrow. Do say hi if you're there or ask a question.

• Good morning. I'm on the train to go to the Cheshire Show today to film for an @itvmlshow Roadshow. Looking forwa? https://t.co/T0uKOKyj4I

• Early days, but so far a huge majority - 19 in 20 people - support legalising cannabis for medical use. Whereas t? https://t.co/a3gJipQITc

• Follow Martin