Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • AdventureWanted
    • By AdventureWanted 8th Oct 17, 10:10 PM
    • 1,035Posts
    • 3,585Thanks
    AdventureWanted
    Adventure wanted, but first we must rid ourselves of debt
    • 8th Oct 17, 10:10 PM
    Adventure wanted, but first we must rid ourselves of debt 8th Oct 17 at 10:10 PM
    I’ve ummed and aahed about starting a diary on here for a couple of months, but have decided that it is a good way for me to keep track of how our debt reduction is going and hopefully on those dark days when it feels like we’re getting nowhere I can remind myself of how things have improved.

Anywho, I’ll give a brief overview of our life/debt.

I’m a Mum to 3 Kids. Hubby is self employed and I Home educate the older 2 Kids. In August I finally had enough of our debts and decided to do something about it. After reading lots of diaries I downloaded ynab and took control of our budget. Our debts are due to a car loan, house repairs and mostly a lack of control over finances so monthly spending got out of control and we didn’t really have much to show for it.

As at 1 August (LBM) our debts were:-
    CC1 - £5,185
    CC2 - £13,470
    Cc3 - £11,400

All of the credit cards are 0% and will be balance transferred to new 0% cards if we haven’t paid them off at the end of the 0% deal.

The future -
    We would love to travel. Firstly we’d love to visit every county in the uk and then travel further afield to the likes of Canada and Australia. Hubby and I regret not taking the opportunities to see the world pre children, but are now very keen to share these adventures with our kids.

We’d love to move to our forever family home, although we have no idea where in the country this would end up being in!

And more than those above we’d love to have savings for our children’s futures and not waste the extortionate amount of money we do each month on debt repayments.

I’ll post my current debt situation post LBM in the next post.x
    LBM Aug 2017. DFD - Oct 2020 / Dec 2021
    CC1 - £0 / £5,185 1/8/17. | CC2 - £0 / £13,470 1/8/17. | CC3 - £4,364.00 / £11,400 1/8/17 | CC4 - £11,050.00 / £13,000 20/11/17
    2019 1% challenge - #1 - 1%. | PAYDBX 2019 -#29 Pd £266.00 / £15,000 | PAYDBX 2018 - Pd £15,010.60
Page 30
    • AdventureWanted
    • By AdventureWanted 5th Jan 19, 8:56 AM
    • 1,035 Posts
    • 3,585 Thanks
    AdventureWanted
    Morning ,

I'd planned on writing in my diary last night, but had the start of a migraine coming on, so had to avoid technology!

Yesterday I paid £9 cashback received to CC3 and today I've rounded down the bank account sending £4 to CC3.

Had a fun day yesterday, although was frustrating at first as we turned up for tennis lessons a week before they started (doh!). Luckily a friend had also done the same, so we hired a court (free with our tennis membership) and had a lovely time playing tennis/kids playing games before we had to pop into the warm cafe to warm up - it really was bitterly cold yesterday. Need to be a lot more organised next week, as I hadn't put any of the gloves/hats in the car .

Our dishwasher has started leaking . DH is going to try and replace the seal (it's leaking out of the top, spraying on the underside of the worktop and dripping down the door onto the floor. Not sure whether the worktop has been damaged or whether the vinyl flooring will be ok once it's dried out. The dishwasher is about 8 years old, so have no idea whether it can be fixed or if we'll have to get a new one. DH had a quick look at dishwashers and luckily you can get one for a couple of hundred if we had to get one, although DH was talking about getting one which you can switch on via WiFi/Alexa (why??). Will have to wait and see if he can buy a replacement seal and fix it when he's next off on Monday.
    • abba1772
    • By abba1772 5th Jan 19, 12:55 PM
    • 5,520 Posts
    • 21,096 Thanks
    abba1772
    That's a good age for a dishwasher fingers crossed it can be fixed xx
    NEXT TARGET BARCLAYCARD WAS Jan 18 £4299 NOW £4123.85
    POAMAYC 2011 £6382.66 POAMAYC 2012 £5000.78
    POAMAYC 2013 £3480.04 POAMAYC 2014 £4085.14
    POAMAYC 2015 £7565.24 POAMAYC 2016 £8000.90
    POAMAYC 2017 £7278.80 POAMAYC 2018 £13039.59
    POAMAYC 2019 £453.59
    • jwil
    • By jwil 6th Jan 19, 9:10 AM
    • 9,653 Posts
    • 32,149 Thanks
    jwil
    Hope you manage to fix the dishwasher x
    "If you can dream it, you can do it". Walt Disney
    • WannabeFree
    • By WannabeFree 6th Jan 19, 3:52 PM
    • 2,659 Posts
    • 23,409 Thanks
    WannabeFree
    I have spent (too much ) of today reading from the beginning and wow you're amazing! I was directed over here on my diary as I am really considering Home Ed for my youngest (4 nearly 5)

Look forward to stalking following
    x
    “Once you hit rock bottom, that's where you perfectly stand; That's your chance of restarting, but restarting the way.”

POAMAYC 19 #70 £450/£2070
    • AdventureWanted
    • By AdventureWanted 7th Jan 19, 7:24 AM
    • 1,035 Posts
    • 3,585 Thanks
    AdventureWanted
    I have spent (too much ) of today reading from the beginning and wow you're amazing! I was directed over here on my diary as I am really considering Home Ed for my youngest (4 nearly 5)

Look forward to stalking following
    x
    Originally posted by WannabeFree
    Hi Wannabefree ,
    Thanks for stopping by . If you have any home Ed questions let me know and I'll try my best to help. I really enjoy home educating the DC. It's really rewarding helping them understand new learning topics and it's certainly helped me learn a thing or two! Will have a look to see if you've got a diary in a bit.
    • AdventureWanted
    • By AdventureWanted 7th Jan 19, 6:36 PM
    • 1,035 Posts
    • 3,585 Thanks
    AdventureWanted
    I've made sure I've come on my diary before 8 tonight, so that I actually get round to posting. After 8 I'm at serious risk of falling asleep on the sofa and therefore not posting!

Yesterday I paid £6 to CC3 and today I've paid £5. There aren't going to be any big additional payments this month, as DH hasn't done any extra days at work since Christmas. He's planning on a few hours tomorrow and next week, but the business needs to keep the money. I'm hoping that we'll be able to pay a bit more in february, as I'm finding it frustrating that I'm only £45 into my £15,000 debt repayment target.

Popped out to the shops today with the family to exchange the clothes DH bought me for Christmas. Think he was disappointed that I didn't like either of the things, but I can't help that! He bought things he'd like me to wear rather than things I'd feel comfortable in (eg. A short jumper which flashes a lot of stomach - I've had 3 kids and don't do anywhere near enough exercise to be able to get away with it!!). Managed to get a really lovely green pinafore dress and black top, so I'm really pleased .

Hope everyone's had a good day.
    • AdventureWanted
    • By AdventureWanted 8th Jan 19, 7:58 AM
    • 1,035 Posts
    • 3,585 Thanks
    AdventureWanted
    Morning ,

DC3 didn't sleep brilliantly last night, so it's going to be a long day today. Hoping DH will swap her cotbed from the cot part to the bed either today or tomorrow, as think she's ready for it. It does worry me a lot swapping her into a bed, as when she wakes at night she stands up and I don't want her doing that in the bed in case she falls. That being said she could do with having a duvet and not the grobag she's in, as last night when in bed with us she kicked all the covers off and slept like that (me & DH were desperately scrambling to keep covered by a small part of duvet!)

The dd for CC4 has come out today (£130), so the balance is very close to being under £11k (£11,050). Looking forward to next month when it gets into the £10ks. I was half tempted to pay an extra £51 off, but as the 0% deal doesn't end until Oct 2020 I've restrained myself!

We don't have many plans at present for today (no groups), so I'm hoping to blitz the house a bit whilst the kids do some worksheets. I've printed out info on Ancient Greece, so need the kids to start work on their project. At the moment they are spending most days playing with their Harry Potter coding wands they got for Christmas. I don't understand coding and don't really understand why it now features quite heavily in schools, but the kids enjoy it and seem to understand it more than I do, so that's good .

Hope everyone has a good day.
    • jwil
    • By jwil 8th Jan 19, 10:36 AM
    • 9,653 Posts
    • 32,149 Thanks
    jwil
    Have a good day
    • WannabeFree
    • By WannabeFree 8th Jan 19, 12:56 PM
    • 2,659 Posts
    • 23,409 Thanks
    WannabeFree
    Have a lovely day

x
    “Once you hit rock bottom, that's where you perfectly stand; That's your chance of restarting, but restarting the way.”

POAMAYC 19 #70 £450/£2070
    • AdventureWanted
    • By AdventureWanted 8th Jan 19, 8:06 PM
    • 1,035 Posts
    • 3,585 Thanks
    AdventureWanted
    Thanks Jwil & WannabeFree - hope you both had good days today.

I've had a fairly productive day today. Managed to blitz the kitchen and even wiped all the cupboard doors down. It looks so much nicer when the worktops are clear. The dishwasher has stopped leaking on its own, which is good news, although very surprising. I'm anticipating it breaking properly soon, so am going to research dishwashers just in case. Pulled out our corner sofa in the living room and vacuumed under it (after removing half a tonne of toys and an overdue kids library book I thought we'd lost forever!). I'm absolutely shattered today and so am already in bed! Going to watch the first episode of the Marie Kondo program on Netflix and then go to sleep (unless I fall asleep during, which is usually my form!).
    • AdventureWanted
    • By AdventureWanted 9th Jan 19, 7:39 AM
    • 1,035 Posts
    • 3,585 Thanks
    AdventureWanted
    Morning ,

I'm feeling pretty good today - had a fantastic nights sleep (8 hours of solid sleep, which is unheard of!!). I watched the first program of the Marie Kondo program last night and I can't wait to start looking through my clothes. I find it a bit odd though that you just pick the clothes up and she doesn't recommend trying them on, but I might give it a go her way first.

Money wise I've finished checking the bank accounts and have rounded down the balance sending £5 to CC3 and 76p to debt savings.

DH has got the day off today, so no idea what we'll do today. Hoping to spend a bit of time continuing the cleaning blitz I started yesterday - kitchen end of our kitchen/dining room looks lovely, but the dining room is fairly cluttered.
    • jwil
    • By jwil 9th Jan 19, 10:04 AM
    • 9,653 Posts
    • 32,149 Thanks
    jwil
    Glad you had a better nights sleep.

I found that the 'spark joy' thing really does work by handling clothes. You can try stuff on if you're not sure about something. I also found that when wearing things I'd kept, I found that I didn't like them as much, maybe they didn't fit right or were uncomfortable and they then went after that.
    • AdventureWanted
    • By AdventureWanted 10th Jan 19, 7:46 AM
    • 1,035 Posts
    • 3,585 Thanks
    AdventureWanted
    Didn't manage to look through the clothes yesterday, so will have to save it for another day. We're out all day today at the DC's groups - poor DC3 is going to be fairly bored just watching the other 2 taking part in things. Going to bring a few toys, colouring books, etc so hopefully it'll keep her occupied for a bit.

I've paid £10 to CC3 today. Bank account all up to date and currently on budget, although I've reduced the grocery budget this month, so I'm going to have to work hard to stick to it.

DH and I were discussing the possibility of visiting his friend in Canada at some point, but think we are going to have to take a short flight first to see how DC2 reacts. She is a worrier and I can imagine her crying lots with worry and not sure anyone would cope with that on a 8/9 hour flight . No idea where we'd go to for a test flight though. Ideally it'd be cheapish. A friend recommended trying the centre Parcs in Holland as they are a lot cheaper than the uk one, but think it'll still cost us around £700 to go (flights and accommodation) without spending money. Maybe we'll have to wait until next year for an overseas trip.
    • jwil
    • By jwil 10th Jan 19, 10:19 AM
    • 9,653 Posts
    • 32,149 Thanks
    jwil
    Where abouts in the country are you? You could just fly to a different part of the UK as a test flight. It probably wouldn't cost too much.

You could go to Orkney and do the shortest flight in the world
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westray_to_Papa_Westray_flight
    • AdventureWanted
    • By AdventureWanted 11th Jan 19, 8:11 AM
    • 1,035 Posts
    • 3,585 Thanks
    AdventureWanted
    Where abouts in the country are you? You could just fly to a different part of the UK as a test flight. It probably wouldn't cost too much.

You could go to Orkney and do the shortest flight in the world
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westray_to_Papa_Westray_flight
    Originally posted by jwil
    Hi Jwil,

We're in East Anglia. Stansted is the nearest airport, but can get to the London ones without too much hassle (a few hours drive). We could do a flight up to Edinburgh or down to Newquay, but will have to look at how easy it'd be to get round without a car once there. I think it would most probably work out to be the cheaper option, as we could just get a cheap travelodge/premier inn for a couple of nights then come back. I think part of me is delaying making a decision as I'm really apprehensive about how DC2 will react. It sounds so silly, but when she was scared of her tooth coming out she cried for ages (and REALLY loudly!). Will have a look at prices for flights to places in the UK today. Thanks Jwil .
    • AdventureWanted
    • By AdventureWanted 11th Jan 19, 8:18 AM
    • 1,035 Posts
    • 3,585 Thanks
    AdventureWanted
    Money wise I've paid £10 to CC3 today.

Need to buy a new baby card and gift for a friend in the next couple of days. Not sure if many sales are still on, but will have a look round online to get the best option for the smallest price! If I can't find anything I'll have to have a trip to the nearest city some point next week.

Have got so much tidying/housework to do at the moment, so think I'll make a large list and try to complete it all before Monday. My lovely tidy kitchen didn't last . Not sure why DH is incapable of putting things in the dishwasher, but there you go!
    • jwil
    • By jwil 11th Jan 19, 10:39 AM
    • 9,653 Posts
    • 32,149 Thanks
    jwil
    Little jwil is the same when he's scared, I totally understand. We will need to do the same at some point. I do want to do the Orkney one some day as we are often up there.

You'd be able to get a bus from most airports to the nearest town/city so could go for a central hotel.
    • AdventureWanted
    • By AdventureWanted 12th Jan 19, 8:08 AM
    • 1,035 Posts
    • 3,585 Thanks
    AdventureWanted
    Morning,

Had an odd day yesterday. Not really sure why, but was just in a bit of a funk all day. Couldn't seem to shift the slightly grumpy/meh feeling. Whilst making dinner I did turn the music on and have a dance round the kitchen, which did help a bit. I think every month I get this feeling and it's really irritating! I know it's all mainly related to the house being a cluttered mess, not having enough time to do everything and the debt not going down as fast as I would like. Just feel a bit like I'm not doing enough. Oh well hopefully the feeling will pass soon.

Today I've paid £30 to CC3, which takes that balance to £4,400.

DH is working all weekend and we have no plans yet, so I'm looking forward to a more relaxed weekend at home. Hopefully I can get a few jobs done, as well as playing with the kids.
    • Homegrown0
    • By Homegrown0 12th Jan 19, 9:29 AM
    • 450 Posts
    • 2,336 Thanks
    Homegrown0
    Just pitching in some info about Edinburgh ad I noticed you mentioned potentially flying there for a couple of days you can get the tram straight from the airport into the city centre and once you're in the city you can walk to most places and for the bits a bit further out (or if the kids get tired) the tram goes pretty much to all the main areas. There's also an abundance of regular buses. When i go to edinburgh i often get a good price on the premier inn at Haymarket which is really central and I'm sure the last time was £50 for a double room.

Hope you manage to find a nice tester break!
    Sealed Pot Challenge 075
    Pay off by Xmas 2019 #02 - target £10,000
    • jwil
    • By jwil 13th Jan 19, 9:01 AM
    • 9,653 Posts
    • 32,149 Thanks
    jwil
    Hope you are feeling a bit chirpier today. I'm the same when it gets to the middle of the month and the wait for payday so there can be some more movement is so long!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,936Posts Today

8,741Users online

Martin's Twitter