Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • AdventureWanted
    • By AdventureWanted 8th Oct 17, 10:10 PM
    • 673Posts
    • 1,958Thanks
    AdventureWanted
    Adventure wanted, but first we must rid ourselves of debt
    • 8th Oct 17, 10:10 PM
    Adventure wanted, but first we must rid ourselves of debt 8th Oct 17 at 10:10 PM
    Ive ummed and aahed about starting a diary on here for a couple of months, but have decided that it is a good way for me to keep track of how our debt reduction is going and hopefully on those dark days when it feels like were getting nowhere I can remind myself of how things have improved.

Anywho, Ill give a brief overview of our life/debt.

Im a Mum to 3 Kids. Hubby is self employed and I Home educate the older 2 Kids. In August I finally had enough of our debts and decided to do something about it. After reading lots of diaries I downloaded ynab and took control of our budget. Our debts are due to a car loan, house repairs and mostly a lack of control over finances so monthly spending got out of control and we didnt really have much to show for it.

As at 1 August (LBM) our debts were:-
    CC1 - 5,185
    CC2 - 13,470
    Cc3 - 11,400

All of the credit cards are 0% and will be balance transferred to new 0% cards if we havent paid them off at the end of the 0% deal.

The future -
    We would love to travel. Firstly wed love to visit every county in the uk and then travel further afield to the likes of Canada and Australia. Hubby and I regret not taking the opportunities to see the world pre children, but are now very keen to share these adventures with our kids.

Wed love to move to our forever family home, although we have no idea where in the country this would end up being in!

And more than those above wed love to have savings for our childrens futures and not waste the extortionate amount of money we do each month on debt repayments.

Ill post my current debt situation post LBM in the next post.x
    LBM Aug 2017. DFD - Oct 2020 / Dec 2021
    CC1 - 0 / 5,185 1/8/17. | CC2 - 0 / 13,470 1/8/17. | CC3 - 8,520.00 / 11,400 1/8/17 | CC4 - 11,700.00 / 13,000 20/11/17
    2018 1% challenge - #1 - 83%. | EF - 2,800.00 / 3,800.00 | PAYDBX 2018 - #29 Pd 10,470.60 / 12,500
Page 20
    • AdventureWanted
    • By AdventureWanted 2nd Aug 18, 7:39 PM
    • 673 Posts
    • 1,958 Thanks
    AdventureWanted
    It's been another hot day here today. DC1&2 has swimming lessons today, which was almost unbearable. We nipped out with DC3 for part of the lesson to get a cold drink, but the cafe wasn't any cooler. No air con and loads of wasps

Afterwards we went to look at some sheds (gosh I live an exciting life! ). Need to double check measurements tonight and then we can hopefully order it tomorrow/Saturday. As the shed shouldn't be quite as much as we anticipated DH bought a new toilet for our cloakroom to replace the one we've got in there. All highly exciting!! Really hoping DH can get on and do some diy this weekend, although the main problem we have is which of the many jobs to do first. It's definitely times like these that I wished I was capable of helping/doing it.

I've rounded down the bank account and paid 6 to CC3 and 34p to debt savings. I updated my debt spreadsheet this morning and things are definitely heading in the right direction. Unless a miracle happens I think our dfd will be Oct 2020. Going to try my hardest to reduce this, as really want the debts gone ASAP.
    • AdventureWanted
    • By AdventureWanted 3rd Aug 18, 9:10 AM
    • 673 Posts
    • 1,958 Thanks
    AdventureWanted
    Morning,
    I'm surviving on about 4 hours broken sleep today . It's going to be a loooong day.

This morning I transferred 9 (6 from bank acc and 3 from debt savings) to CC3 and 87p to debt savings. Having re-looked at my account I've decided to pay another 50 to CC3, as this takes my debt payments so far this year to 10,000.60!! (This doesn't include money paid to DHs CC). Such a huge amount of money! I'm well on my way to paying my goal amount of 12,500. Not sure how much extra above this amount I can pay, but anything is a bonus. CC3 is now in the next hundred bracket too (8,860) .
    • jwil
    • By jwil 3rd Aug 18, 10:28 AM
    • 8,809 Posts
    • 27,539 Thanks
    jwil
    You are doing really well. October 2020 is not that far away, so if you manage to become DF sooner, that will be a great result
    "If you can dream it, you can do it". Walt Disney
    • AdventureWanted
    • By AdventureWanted 3rd Aug 18, 7:57 PM
    • 673 Posts
    • 1,958 Thanks
    AdventureWanted
    Just realised it's been just over a year since my LBM (1/8/17). It's come round really quickly. I started this debt free wannabe journey with credit card debts of 30,055 and In October last year we borrowed a further 7,900 to pay towards a business tax bill we had not budgeted for. Today's debts stand at 20,690, which does actually make me very proud. We are still a long way from the home straight, but we are doing so much better financially. Since our LBM we have set up savings pots for our annual insurances, national trust membership, car expenses, home ed subscriptions and have a fairly healthy Emergency fund. There is still a long journey ahead of us, but we are definitely more equipped for the challenge ahead.
    • abba1772
    • By abba1772 3rd Aug 18, 8:23 PM
    • 4,983 Posts
    • 17,546 Thanks
    abba1772
    That's a fab amount to clear in a year well done xx
    NEXT TARGET HALIFAX CC WAS July 18 5493.20 NOW 4042.66
    POAMAYC 2011 6382.66 POAMAYC 2012 5000.78
    POAMAYC 2013 3480.04 POAMAYC 2014 4085.14
    POAMAYC 2015 7565.24 POAMAYC 2016 8000.90
    POAMAYC 2017 7278.80 POAMAYC 2018 6627.59
    • Rachel24
    • By Rachel24 3rd Aug 18, 8:48 PM
    • 187 Posts
    • 677 Thanks
    Rachel24
    So close to getting to the teens too
    • AdventureWanted
    • By AdventureWanted 5th Aug 18, 7:20 AM
    • 673 Posts
    • 1,958 Thanks
    AdventureWanted
    Thanks Abba. Fingers crossed this month I can scrape into the teens Rachel24. I think it'll feel like such an achievement and barrier I've crossed. Still a long way to go, but will be nice to have a total starting with a 1 not a 2. Looking forward to trying to hit this target.

Yesterday I paid 2 to CC3 and today I've paid 13. Total now 20,675. Need to try and keep our groceries bill sensible this month, as this seems to be where most of my overspends happen.

DH spent yesterday tiling our cloakroom floor with the tiles we bought last month. They look really lovely. Downside it now makes the hallway look rubbish!! Ideally would like to put the same tiles in the hallway, but DH says he isn't comfortable tiling such a big area so would want to get someone in to do it. Think we'll have to put this on the back burner for a while. DH is working away again for 5 days next week, so I'm hoping to get some jobs done today in between DH finishing the cloakroom.
    • jwil
    • By jwil 5th Aug 18, 3:01 PM
    • 8,809 Posts
    • 27,539 Thanks
    jwil
    That's brilliant progress, well done
    • AdventureWanted
    • By AdventureWanted 5th Aug 18, 3:30 PM
    • 673 Posts
    • 1,958 Thanks
    AdventureWanted
    Thanks Jwil. DH has been out spending money today! Had to get rid of the old toilet, which cost 3 at our local tip! DH took 20 cash out to buy some bits at the shop and to get change for the tip - he only went and used the credit card to withdraw cash again think last time it was a 3 charge . Luckily he restrained himself at b&q and only spent 20 on bits he needed.

I've had a productive day so far and have made an inventory of my freezer and tins cupboard. Also gave the cupboard a good clean before replacing the tins. I'm hopeful that I shouldn't need to buy anything else at the shops this week. Have got a lot of pre-made meals to use up, so we'll use them up first this week.
    • jwil
    • By jwil 6th Aug 18, 9:38 AM
    • 8,809 Posts
    • 27,539 Thanks
    jwil
    Ouch to the credit card withdrawal
    • AdventureWanted
    • By AdventureWanted 6th Aug 18, 10:21 AM
    • 673 Posts
    • 1,958 Thanks
    AdventureWanted
    DH has gone away to work, so it's just me and the DC for the next 5 days.
    Plan for today is to sort through their toy boxes. I can't imagine they'll suddenly decide they don't want things anymore, but I'm planning on labelling all the boxes with what's in it. Hopefully it'll help them tidy up the toys every night! (I can wish!!). Will be good to see exactly what we have got.
    The DC decided to play dressing up yesterday. It's only when DC2 tried to put on her Snow White costume that I realised that 90% of them are too small for her now. Luckily DC3 will benefit from all of them, but it's highlighted something I can get DC2 for her birthday next month. Managed to pick up a brand new Anna costume for 8, so that's the start of her birthday presents. Am going to keep my eyes peeled for dressing up outfits for DC1 for Christmas. Hopefully I'll find some secondhand ones (in vgc) that will be perfect. It's funny how my mindset has changed so much with presents. Before I would have bought 99% of the presents new, but now I realise that secondhand is absolutely fine and there's not that much point spending so much on them or giving too much as they really don't need it. Need to think of a few things for DC2s 6th birthday. At the moment she's asking for Feber my lovely unicorn (you should definitely google it . It's not my cup of tea and costs over 200!!). She definitely will not be getting this!

Anyway, today I've paid 45 to CC3 to take it to a nicely rounded 8,800.
    • abba1772
    • By abba1772 6th Aug 18, 3:46 PM
    • 4,983 Posts
    • 17,546 Thanks
    abba1772
    I've seen the unicorn looks great but I'm thankful my daughter is 16 otherwise she would have wanted it as she's obsessed with unicorns xx
    • jwil
    • By jwil 7th Aug 18, 12:33 PM
    • 8,809 Posts
    • 27,539 Thanks
    jwil
    Sorting toys is a flipping awful activity!
    • AdventureWanted
    • By AdventureWanted 8th Aug 18, 7:08 AM
    • 673 Posts
    • 1,958 Thanks
    AdventureWanted
    Morning,

Didn't manage to get on to update diary last night. Yesterday I had a lovely day visiting my mum with the DC. We popped to a local town and had a good look round. Managed to pick up a couple of cereal storage containers, new drink bottle for DC1 (the old one broke), peppa pig tumbler (putting aside for DC3s birthday) and a storage tub for inside our Ikea boxes. Really pleased about the storage tub, as it's the perfect size to fit inside the fabric boxes on our kallax unit, whilst still having space on top for other toys. Annoyingly I had planned to put DC3s megabloks in it, but they won't fit - I might have another go today by stacking them all together to see if it can be jigsaw'd into place!! Paid 4.83 to CC3 yesterday.

Today I've paid 3.17 to CC3 and the 130 dd for cc4 has come out. Balances now at 8,792 and 11,700. Debt total now 20,492. Getting ever closer to the 19ks.
    • AdventureWanted
    • By AdventureWanted 9th Aug 18, 11:57 AM
    • 673 Posts
    • 1,958 Thanks
    AdventureWanted
    Had a brilliant day yesterday. Had friends over and all the kids had a go at tie dying tshirts. It was really good fun and they love their new tops. I even dyed one of DC2s dresses which had a huge stain on it, so I'm pretty pleased that she can wear it again, as I had planned on binning it.

Today my car is in at the garage, so I'll find out later how much it's going to cost. Luckily they've collected the car and will drop it off later, so I don't have to spend the day walking around the shops being tempted to buy things.

I sold a dress on eBay last night, so need to package it up ready to send. Hoping some of my other bits on gumtree start selling soon.

Rounded down the bank account today and have sent 7 to CC3 and 19p to debt savings.
    Last edited by AdventureWanted; 09-08-2018 at 12:00 PM.
    LBM Aug 2017. DFD - Oct 2020 / Dec 2021
    CC1 - 0 / 5,185 1/8/17. | CC2 - 0 / 13,470 1/8/17. | CC3 - 8,520.00 / 11,400 1/8/17 | CC4 - 11,700.00 / 13,000 20/11/17
    2018 1% challenge - #1 - 83%. | EF - 2,800.00 / 3,800.00 | PAYDBX 2018 - #29 Pd 10,470.60 / 12,500
    • AdventureWanted
    • By AdventureWanted 9th Aug 18, 12:36 PM
    • 673 Posts
    • 1,958 Thanks
    AdventureWanted
    Argh the car is going to cost a fortune . It needs a new pump so is going to cost an eye watering 632 . Currently have 371 in the car account. I know I've got enough in the EF, but I really didn't want to spend it!! They can spread the payment over 4 months at 0%, but not sure whether to bother or just pay it outright. DH thinks we should do the finance, but I'm not sure.
    • abba1772
    • By abba1772 9th Aug 18, 4:44 PM
    • 4,983 Posts
    • 17,546 Thanks
    abba1772
    It's what your emergency fund is for and you'll recoup the money fairly quickly xx
    • jwil
    • By jwil 10th Aug 18, 2:48 PM
    • 8,809 Posts
    • 27,539 Thanks
    jwil
    To the car. I'd pay it out of the EF and pay that back over the 4 months rather than take the finance.
    • AdventureWanted
    • By AdventureWanted 10th Aug 18, 10:08 PM
    • 673 Posts
    • 1,958 Thanks
    AdventureWanted
    Thanks Abba and Jwil. You're both completely right I should use the EF. It still seems a bit alien to have money available to use, but it definitely makes more sense to repay the money used over the 4 months rather than take finance. It actually feels like quite a big step to be able to cover this with savings rather than pay on a card and worry about it later, which is what we used to do.

The Kids tennis lessons were cancelled this afternoon, as the heavens absolutely opened. Annoyingly we'd already arrived before it rained heavier and the decision was made. Me and the DC had a quick walk around the park in the rain before going to a local garden centre to have a look round. Bought some grass seed to attempt to fix the many bald patches in the grass that the hot weather caused. It's been so much nicer being cooler the last couple of days. The DC really enjoy the rain and it's so lovely to watch them playing in the garden in the rain (obviously wearing all in one rain suits and wellies). DH is Home late tonight, so I'm hoping we might be able to go for a nice walk somewhere this weekend. Usually on his days off there's loads of diy jobs to do (which is still the case), but he's home so little at the moment it'd be nice to have a fun day out together. Will have to see what the weather has in store for us tomorrow.

Moneywise, I've made a payment of 25 to CC3 today. Need to look at my annual expenses this weekend (including all the home ed subs) and check I'm on schedule with them. I'm hoping some of the kids groups I may be ahead of schedule due to the summer holidays and might be able to use some of the money to put towards the car or to CC3.
    • AdventureWanted
    • By AdventureWanted 12th Aug 18, 8:04 PM
    • 673 Posts
    • 1,958 Thanks
    AdventureWanted
    Can't believe the weekend is almost over . It's absolutely flown by. DH goes away again tomorrow for work - luckily it's only for 4 days this time. I spent my evening last night being incredibly sad and comparing food prices! I prepared a Tesco online shop and then tried to compare prices with aldi online. We popped to aldi today (I took my tesco list which included the prices) and anything cheaper at aldi we bought. DH doesn't seem to think it's worth doing, as it's lots hassle and he doesn't think there is much of a saving. I need to work out what the price difference is tomorrow. Will be really interesting to know. My grocery bill this month is already 277.95 . A lot of the ingredients I bought today will prepare at least 6 meals (3 dishes twice), so in theory the food shop will be a lot less next week (mainly milk and bread). I will be really fed up if I once again go over my food budget (375). Even though it's a longer month I'm really hoping to scrape by.

Yesterday I made a pad of 3 to CC3, but I haven't made any payments today. Not 100% sure if the dd for halifax (CC3) will be coming out this month, as I've made additional payments so I don't want to pay too much just in case the dd comes out and leaves me short.

We should hear in the next week (hopefully) how much longer DH will be working away for. Really want to know soon so that I can work out his shift and estimate the income we have coming in to the business and therefore whether I can make any extra debt payments.
    Last edited by AdventureWanted; 12-08-2018 at 8:06 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,919Posts Today

6,475Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin