Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • AdventureWanted
    • By AdventureWanted 8th Oct 17, 10:10 PM
    • 662Posts
    • 1,937Thanks
    AdventureWanted
    Adventure wanted, but first we must rid ourselves of debt
    • 8th Oct 17, 10:10 PM
    Adventure wanted, but first we must rid ourselves of debt 8th Oct 17 at 10:10 PM
    Ive ummed and aahed about starting a diary on here for a couple of months, but have decided that it is a good way for me to keep track of how our debt reduction is going and hopefully on those dark days when it feels like were getting nowhere I can remind myself of how things have improved.

Anywho, Ill give a brief overview of our life/debt.

Im a Mum to 3 Kids. Hubby is self employed and I Home educate the older 2 Kids. In August I finally had enough of our debts and decided to do something about it. After reading lots of diaries I downloaded ynab and took control of our budget. Our debts are due to a car loan, house repairs and mostly a lack of control over finances so monthly spending got out of control and we didnt really have much to show for it.

As at 1 August (LBM) our debts were:-
    CC1 - 5,185
    CC2 - 13,470
    Cc3 - 11,400

All of the credit cards are 0% and will be balance transferred to new 0% cards if we havent paid them off at the end of the 0% deal.

The future -
    We would love to travel. Firstly wed love to visit every county in the uk and then travel further afield to the likes of Canada and Australia. Hubby and I regret not taking the opportunities to see the world pre children, but are now very keen to share these adventures with our kids.

Wed love to move to our forever family home, although we have no idea where in the country this would end up being in!

And more than those above wed love to have savings for our childrens futures and not waste the extortionate amount of money we do each month on debt repayments.

Ill post my current debt situation post LBM in the next post.x
    LBM Aug 2017. DFD - Oct 2020 / Dec 2021
    CC1 - 0 / 5,185 1/8/17. | CC2 - 0 / 13,470 1/8/17. | CC3 - 8,742.00 / 11,400 1/8/17 | CC4 - 11,700.00 / 13,000 20/11/17
    2018 1% challenge - #1 - 80%. | EF - 2,800.00 / 3,800.00 | PAYDBX 2018 - #29 Pd 10,248.60 / 12,500
Page 13
    • AdventureWanted
    • By AdventureWanted 9th Apr 18, 7:53 AM
    • 662 Posts
    • 1,937 Thanks
    AdventureWanted
    The 130 dd for CC4 has come out today, so that takes the amount paid this year to 4,700.60.

DH and I have been discussing the DC's toys and have decided that they really do have far too much. Today I'm hoping to take a few photos of some of the bits they really don't use and then I'll either list them today or tomorrow. At least once the photos are taken it is half way there.

Today's jobs:
    * relocate DH business paperwork
    * Empty dishwasher & restack
    * Clean kitchen worktops
    * Sort through completed DC worksheets/drawings and transfer from magazine rack to folder.
    * Hoover living room
    * Hoover bedrooms
    * Hoover landing
    * Start photographing bits to sell

Hopefully I can get a fair bit of the to do list done today whilst DC3 naps.
    • Storm89
    • By Storm89 9th Apr 18, 8:04 AM
    • 174 Posts
    • 1,352 Thanks
    Storm89
    Good luck with your to do list. We need to get rid of toys but my kids never let me. As soon as you go to sell it, it's their favourite toy in the world ever. I like how you put your cleaning jobs in your to do list too , helps you stay focussed !
    • charlies tribe
    • By charlies tribe 9th Apr 18, 2:58 PM
    • 775 Posts
    • 5,625 Thanks
    charlies tribe
    Good luck with the toy clearing. We are going to be swapping rooms with the girls and i'm hoping to clear some of theres but DD2 had full on tears the other night about a teddy that had had to go in the bin a couple of years ago!
    I think i have a horder.
    LBM in April 17 - 8433/33554 (25.1%) paid.
    2018 PAID OFF TARGET 2809/5000 (56.18% paid)
    Mortgage@1 June 18 = 1134/76350 Total debt @ 1st June 18=102311 100337
    SPC #591
    • AdventureWanted
    • By AdventureWanted 9th Apr 18, 7:30 PM
    • 662 Posts
    • 1,937 Thanks
    AdventureWanted
    Good luck with your to do list. We need to get rid of toys but my kids never let me. As soon as you go to sell it, it's their favourite toy in the world ever. I like how you put your cleaning jobs in your to do list too , helps you stay focussed !
    Originally posted by Storm89
    Mine hate the thought of me getting rid of any toys. I've tried to sell it to them that they'll have more space for their toys and will be able to find things easier. Not sure they're convinced though!

I have to add cleaning jobs to a to do list, as it makes me feel like I've actually achieved something!! There are so many times when I don't feel like I've managed to do anything, but if I've ticked something off a list I'm happy!!
    • AdventureWanted
    • By AdventureWanted 9th Apr 18, 7:35 PM
    • 662 Posts
    • 1,937 Thanks
    AdventureWanted
    Good luck with the toy clearing. We are going to be swapping rooms with the girls and i'm hoping to clear some of theres but DD2 had full on tears the other night about a teddy that had had to go in the bin a couple of years ago!
    I think i have a horder.
    Originally posted by charlies tribe
    Good luck with your toy clearance. We did a garage sale last year and sold a very cheap pink teddy which DC2 hadn't played with or looked at in about a year. She was really upset when it sold and still goes on about it now!! In fact, the same sale we sold an old truck of DC1s and he was really upset. I told him it made the little boy who bought it really happy, but he was still disappointed it had gone. I think all kids must have a horder gene. It's hard getting rid of bits when the DC are watching!!
    • AdventureWanted
    • By AdventureWanted 10th Apr 18, 7:05 AM
    • 662 Posts
    • 1,937 Thanks
    AdventureWanted
    Today's jobs:
    * relocate DH business paperwork
    * Empty dishwasher & restack
    * Clean kitchen worktops l
    * Sort through completed DC worksheets/drawings and transfer from magazine rack to folder.
    * Hoover living room
    * Hoover bedrooms - 3 out of 4 done
    * Hoover landing
    * Start photographing bits to sell - Started. Lots still to do.

Yesterday I managed to get lots done whilst DC3 napped. The kitchen hasn't looked this clean in ages. Is lovely having clear worktops and having them all scrubbed clean.

Listed a few things on gumtree and Facebook yesterday and already had a sale . I'm not overly sure why I took so long to list bits, but I sold some of DC1s old school jumpers for 6.50, which I was really pleased about. (He's been home ed for almost 2 years, so I really should have done this sooner!). Hopefully I can do a bit more sorting out and listing tomorrow. I think photographing things as I go along is the way forward. That way if I run out of time I can still list the item later.

We've got a busy day out today with friends, so I need to be organised this morning making a packed lunch and making sure we've got everything we need for the day. Luckily we're going to a local adventure park, which we have season tickets for, so should be a fairly low cost day.

I've rounded down the bank accounts and sent 3 to CC2 and 1.18 to debt savings.
    • jwil
    • By jwil 10th Apr 18, 1:23 PM
    • 8,789 Posts
    • 27,474 Thanks
    jwil
    It's so hard getting rid of the kids toys! I found that following the Kon Mari method helps somewhat.

I get out everything in one category - ie cars, dolls, teddies, books, etc etc,

Do one category at a time. Get them to look through and decide what they love and want to keep. Get rid of anything left. The 'power of the pile' really helps, when they can see how much they've got of that particular item. I also tell them that if they love it all and want to keep it all, then that's ok, but they have to look through it all first.

I do get rid of broken items etc regardless.
    "If you can dream it, you can do it". Walt Disney
    • AdventureWanted
    • By AdventureWanted 11th Apr 18, 9:50 PM
    • 662 Posts
    • 1,937 Thanks
    AdventureWanted
    It's so hard getting rid of the kids toys! I found that following the Kon Mari method helps somewhat.

I get out everything in one category - ie cars, dolls, teddies, books, etc etc,

Do one category at a time. Get them to look through and decide what they love and want to keep. Get rid of anything left. The 'power of the pile' really helps, when they can see how much they've got of that particular item. I also tell them that if they love it all and want to keep it all, then that's ok, but they have to look through it all first.

I do get rid of broken items etc regardless.
    Originally posted by jwil
    That sounds like a really good method to use. I started reading the Kon Mari book 18 months ago, but never finished it (I only remember reading about paperwork and folding clothes!). Think I might have to start reading it again, as it does make sense to see exactly what you've got and then choose what you want to keep. I imagine the kids would still want to keep lots of it, but it'll be good for me to see exactly what is there and I can sort the toys better afterwards.

I took the kids playmobil castle downstairs today to build and take a photo of to sell, but having said they didn't mind it going, they now want to keep it!! Think sorting the toys may be a long process!!
    • AdventureWanted
    • By AdventureWanted 11th Apr 18, 10:03 PM
    • 662 Posts
    • 1,937 Thanks
    AdventureWanted
    I rounded down the bank account today and paid 19.50 off CC2. The balance is getting fairly close to 3k now. The dd is due out within the next couple of days, so it'll be nice when the balance does start with a 2. I've been reviewing my budget for the next couple of months and as long as nothing unexpected happens we should be able to clear CC2 in July when the 0% runs out. I'm really looking forward to getting rid of it and being able fo start on bringing CC3s balance under 10k.

Have had a day at home today, as DH had arranged for the decking to be delivered today. Thankfully the delivery driver was really helpful and didn't expect me to assist in offloading all the decking boards. Other than ordering my food shop for tomorrow it's been a NSD. Tomorrow will be fairly busy taking the kids to swimming lessons and then visiting family.

DH has still not had his evening work okayed, so he's been home by 4 every day. I'm getting quite used to it now and am enjoying being able to cook dinner without entertaining DC3 in the high chair and sharing the bath time/bedtime madness with him!
    • jwil
    • By jwil 12th Apr 18, 4:10 PM
    • 8,789 Posts
    • 27,474 Thanks
    jwil
    Folding the clothes is brilliant, it saves so much space and looks great when they are done properly. Paperwork is the most tedious category ever.

I don't agree with everything in the book, but have taken certain aspects of it, and it really works.
    • AdventureWanted
    • By AdventureWanted 12th Apr 18, 5:08 PM
    • 662 Posts
    • 1,937 Thanks
    AdventureWanted
    Finally got round to sorting out the home insurance today ready for tomorrow's start date! Managed to go through a cashback website, so should hopefully get about 30 back. Insurance was 40 cheaper than the renewal we got sent and I'd over saved for the house insurance, so I've transferred the extra 75 to CC2.
    • AdventureWanted
    • By AdventureWanted 13th Apr 18, 7:55 AM
    • 662 Posts
    • 1,937 Thanks
    AdventureWanted
    The 180 dd for CC2 has come out today, so I've also made an additional 25 payment to it, as it takes the balance to 2,997.50. I do love getting into the next band of numbers. Today's payments takes me to 40% paid towards my debt repayment target, which I'm really pleased about.

When I set the repayment figure I wasn't sure how well we would get on, but luckily DH has done lots of additional work over the past few months which has really helped. Hoping to bring in some more additional money doing surveys (currently at 13 on PA), using cashback sites when I can and decluttering.
    • jwil
    • By jwil 13th Apr 18, 1:19 PM
    • 8,789 Posts
    • 27,474 Thanks
    jwil
    40% is great
    • AdventureWanted
    • By AdventureWanted 15th Apr 18, 7:56 PM
    • 662 Posts
    • 1,937 Thanks
    AdventureWanted
    Thanks Jwil.

I've updated my spreadsheets today and been chatting with DH about our debt levels and potential DFD. We are on course to pay off CC2 in July and then the money we repay each month to this card will move to CC3. I keep wondering whether I should start PADing towards our mortgage, or at least the small variable rate part (around 3k). It's currently being charged 3.89% interest, which has been around 9 a month interest. The problem is that although it is my highest interest (everything else is 0%), I'm not sure if I'm worrying about it unnecessarily. I do sometimes have a tendency to go a bit overboard and try and do too much, so this may be one of those times when I really should concentrate on making our unsecured debts less eye watering before worrying about anything else...

I've made a payment of 7.50 to CC2 today (couldn't bare it's odd figure for any longer!!). Half way through the month and I'm already looking forward to my end of month debt summary! (This is a really really sad thing to admit to!!)

Next week DH should be working about 6 hours (possibly a few more), which will be brilliant. Any extra hours he can do whilst he's on his course is a bonus. Next week will be the end of his second week of the 6 week course. He'll also have to do a weeks practical training, but as yet we have not been told when that will be happening. Really looking forward to him being back at work and me being more in control of what money we will be getting in and when.
    • AdventureWanted
    • By AdventureWanted 16th Apr 18, 7:42 AM
    • 662 Posts
    • 1,937 Thanks
    AdventureWanted
    Today's pad:

5 to CC2
    15p to debt savings

-----------------------------------------------

Debts at 16/4/18
    CC1 - 0
    CC2 - 2,985
    CC3 - 10,460
    CC4 - 12,220

Total debt - 25,665

Emergency Fund - 1,031.50
    Debt Savings - 6.26
    • AdventureWanted
    • By AdventureWanted 17th Apr 18, 8:01 AM
    • 662 Posts
    • 1,937 Thanks
    AdventureWanted
    Just finished my daily accounts checks and ynab update. Have rounded down the bank account and sent 11 to CC2 and 26p to debt savings.

Had my renewal letter through for DC3s swimming next term. I'm not really sure how but I've managed to have extra saved in that account than needed (about 55!). Obviously is a good problem to have! I think I'll have to review the monthly amount I budget, as think it's the half terms which throw the figures out. Either I should reduce down the monthly amount or continue as I am and shift any extra money over when I get the bill through. My car insurance is due next month, so might try and do a quote soon so I have a rough idea of price. That way if I haven't budgeted enough I can transfer the extra swimming money to the car account.

Me, DC1&2 have all got the dentist today. I'm always half dreading it, as no matter how many times I tell the DC how important teeth brushing is they never seem to stand still/stop spinning the toothbrush/brush properly. Really hoping their teeth are in good condition. I'm hoping they'll give my teeth a bit of a clean, but they seem really reluctant to do a scale and polish. Before we moved back to this area (5 yrs ago) we'd have a scale and polish every year. Have been saving money each month for dentist bills for me & DH, so unless anything big needs doing (which hopefully it doesn't), then the money is sat waiting to be swapped from savings.

Anyway, best get on and get ready for the day.
    • Storm89
    • By Storm89 17th Apr 18, 9:22 AM
    • 174 Posts
    • 1,352 Thanks
    Storm89
    Good luck at the dentist, ours make us have scale and polish 2x a year regardless of private or NHS patient. I hear you with the kids arsing about at toothbrushing !
    • jwil
    • By jwil 18th Apr 18, 3:14 PM
    • 8,789 Posts
    • 27,474 Thanks
    jwil
    Well done on the savings!

Agree on the toothbrushing!
    • AdventureWanted
    • By AdventureWanted 19th Apr 18, 7:17 AM
    • 662 Posts
    • 1,937 Thanks
    AdventureWanted
    The dentist went well. Kids were told they do a good job brushing, which I was a bit shocked about!! No fillings needed, so only cost 21.60, which is good. Need to mention the scale and polish before she starts next time, as by the time I was going to mention it she'd already raised the chair back up!

Yesterday I paid 4 to CC2 and 58p to debt savings. Today's payments are 20 to CC2 and 42p to debt savings.

Think I might use the rounding down debt savings accounts to make overpayments on the mortgage. Still not 100% sure though, as I really would like to get rid of the cc's as soon as possible. I read that they are expecting the Bank of England interest rate to increase next month, which will mean our 3k variable part of the mortgage will have more interest charged. At the moment it's being charged 33p interest a day and we pay just over 20 a month. I'd love to overpay on our main fixed mortgage too, but don't think I could stretch to paying the daily interest of 3.59 every day, not without hindering our debt repayment.

Today is set to be another glorious day . I really need to find our sunscreen and order some more ready for the summer. Luckily the friend we visited yesterday had some, as I wasn't really prepared for it to be so hot. Was so lovely being able to spend the afternoon outside yesterday. Kids had a massive water fight with their friends and ran loads, which meant both DC1&2 were awake after 6.30 (DC1 is usually up around 5!).
    • jwil
    • By jwil 20th Apr 18, 2:17 PM
    • 8,789 Posts
    • 27,474 Thanks
    jwil
    It's so nice having this good weather and getting outside!

I'm really hoping they wait a little longer before putting rates up again
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

453Posts Today

7,202Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin