Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

    • Itsmyselfnme
    • By Itsmyselfnme 7th Oct 17, 11:48 AM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Hoping Someone Can Help
    • #1
    • 7th Oct 17, 11:48 AM
    Hoping Someone Can Help 7th Oct 17 at 11:48 AM
    Hi all ,

    Was hoping someone can help , an old lady hit my parked vehicle outside my house she admitted liability and I decided not to let my insurance handle it because I heard they seek out more damages and charge more for a courtesy car etc , and I was worried having a claim on my account ,

    Her insurance paid me out quickly and took my car , a salvage company came and collected it (they paid me what I paid for the car) I'm not sure if they were write it off or selling it as spares , I did have to fill in the V5 with the company's name ,

    My own insurance tried to take my monthly payment from my bank , can I just buy a new car and change the vehicle ? ,

    I'd much rather do that than have to pay a chunk of money on a deposit for a new policy online ,

    Someone hit my other car over a year ago she also admitted liability and I'm sure my insurance company at that time said no they have to close the claim (but my car was written off defiantly that time ,

    So if her insurance bought it can I just change the vehicle ?

    In other words is it only when your car is written off they close your claim ?

    Thanks in advance
Page 1
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 7th Oct 17, 12:01 PM
    • 35,808 Posts
    • 20,059 Thanks
    • #2
    • 7th Oct 17, 12:01 PM
    • #2
    • 7th Oct 17, 12:01 PM
    You misunderstand how this all works

    You must notify your insurer now that your car has been written off in a collision. Stress to them that you have dealt with the third party insurer and won't be making any claim.

    Then find out how long you have to put on a replacement car on your policy.

    Check with them before buying a new car to ensure they are happy to cover it otherwise you will have to cancel the policy and buy new one elsewhere.

    You must disclose both these claims when approaching insurers for quotes over the next 5 years or so depending on how long a history is asked about
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 7th Oct 17, 4:33 PM
    • 27,187 Posts
    • 10,954 Thanks
    • #3
    • 7th Oct 17, 4:33 PM
    • #3
    • 7th Oct 17, 4:33 PM
    As above if you have not informed then you need to do it NOW. This WILL come back and bite you if you do not.

    And even though you didnt claim from your insurance you still need to declare it, the insurance companies can easily find out about this incident.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

    My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

    Due to me being a tight git.
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 8th Oct 17, 12:24 PM
    • 4,755 Posts
    • 3,555 Thanks
    • #4
    • 8th Oct 17, 12:24 PM
    • #4
    • 8th Oct 17, 12:24 PM
    When our car was written off our insurance gave us one month to replace it on the same policy.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,856Posts Today

9,066Users online

Martin's Twitter