Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    • shadow17
    • By shadow17 7th Oct 17, 11:21 AM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    marriage registred in another country
    • #1
    • 7th Oct 17, 11:21 AM
    marriage registred in another country 7th Oct 17 at 11:21 AM
    Hi All,

    I am going through toughest time of my life as after 10 years plus of living with my wife and having a baby and making significant commitment I am left in a situation and shocked

    cut long story short, I am going to get divorced and also try to fight for my kid custody.

    my marriage was registered in an islamic country according to sharia laws of that country
    in islamic marriage there is something called mehr which means at time of marriage the husband agrees to pay the wife x amount when she demands it at any time or when they get divorced.

    the mehr can be anything from 2 flowers to 10 houses whatever she chooses.

    I have looked at numerous articles online and here is what I have seen :

    1. nikkah or islamic marriage done in the UK is not valid unless registred
    2. islamic marriage registred in another country which islam is the law then it is accepted in the uk
    3. contrary to point 2

    1 and 3 is clear but 2 is not.
    if point 2 is honoured then i suppose they should also honour the divorce condition which is whatever the woman wanted at the time of registering marriage not according to the UK laws.

    my question is what is your experience here ?

    if i have 150k net worth of asset and 100k of debt so total of 250k, under english laws, would they split every debt and everything else in half?
Page 1
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 7th Oct 17, 1:14 PM
    • 4,792 Posts
    • 3,592 Thanks
    • #2
    • 7th Oct 17, 1:14 PM
    • #2
    • 7th Oct 17, 1:14 PM
    I suggest you contact these people for specialist advice

    They give a 30 minute free consultation
    • Jenniefour
    • By Jenniefour 7th Oct 17, 1:23 PM
    • 1,311 Posts
    • 1,425 Thanks
    • #3
    • 7th Oct 17, 1:23 PM
    • #3
    • 7th Oct 17, 1:23 PM
    You probably need to seek legal advice asap, especially if your wife is planning to go back to her own country with your child without your agreement, or you think that is likely. I wonder if that's why you want custody, and I might be completely wrong. But once a child has been removed to another country it can be very hard to get them back, regardless of what the law might say. Find a family solicitor who has the knowledge and expertise about circumstances like yours.

    Hopefully others will be along with their experiences, but that won't replace proper legal advice if you and your wife already have differing views/intentions, especially about the future of your child.
    • TonyMMM
    • By TonyMMM 7th Oct 17, 2:10 PM
    • 2,664 Posts
    • 2,948 Thanks
    • #4
    • 7th Oct 17, 2:10 PM
    • #4
    • 7th Oct 17, 2:10 PM
    Number 2 on your list means that a marriage that occurs outside the UK is always considered valid here as long it was conducted legally in that country.

    The only exception would be if the marriage could never have been be legal here such as marrying your sister.

    If you are divorcing in the UK then UK law applies .... you should see a solicitor.
    Last edited by TonyMMM; 07-10-2017 at 2:16 PM.
    • Fireflyaway
    • By Fireflyaway 8th Oct 17, 10:12 AM
    • 1,824 Posts
    • 1,971 Thanks
    • #5
    • 8th Oct 17, 10:12 AM
    • #5
    • 8th Oct 17, 10:12 AM
    Brother, why ' fight' for your child? Do what is best for the child, not just for the sake of getting at your wife. Come to an fair agreement and act like adults. Obviously I don't know your circumstances but ' fighting' is a strong word. Don't unintentionally upset your child.
    As the others say, if your marriage was valid overseas its valid here but do get proper legal advice.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,115Posts Today

7,965Users online

Martin's Twitter