The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

Gift Ideas for Colleagues on my Retirement

I am taking early retirement in 3 weeks time. I have been at my company for nearly 20 years. I would like to buy each of my very close colleagues, both male and female, a gift to show my appreciation. In my personal experience, I think this is quite unusual, so thought it would be an interesting thread to find out what other people have already done, or just to throw some good ideas into the pot.

Comments

• Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 8,969
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    It is unusual - but what a nice thought!

I would try to make the gift personal - a potted rose for a gardener, for example.
  • Alexland
    Alexland Posts: 9,653
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Never heard of this being done before but suggest it is done very discreetly to avoid offending other colleagues not selected for gifting.
  • crv1963
    crv1963 Posts: 1,372
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Not a retirement gift to us but we had a Team meal planned and when we had paid our deposits we got them back and a colleague had refunded them, paid for all the meals and first drink we each had. He did this to say thank you to us all for the support and help we gave him and each other. We were all thrilled! So maybe ask each person you wish to give a gift to, to join you for a celebratory meal on your retirement?
    CRV1963- Light bulb moment Sept 15- Planning the great escape- aka retirement!
  • Cat_House
    Cat_House Posts: 59
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I have already arranged a meal for my retirement day, but have already told the 25 plus people, as a pensioner, I wouldn't be able to afford to pay. I just wanted to do something for the 5 close members in my team. Yes, I have already thought about not offending people, but my close team are the most important people and I think everyone in the other departments will understand this?
  • I'm not sure of your budget for this but possibly a nice pen for each of your colleagues with a personal inscription for each. It should be reasonably affordable, equal in status and gives you the chance to give a heartfelt or humorous message to suit. Whatever you decide, it is a nice thought and I'm sure it will be appreciated.

Enjoy a long, happy and healthy retirement!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure