Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • newleaf
    • By newleaf 6th Oct 17, 5:34 PM
    • 3,003Posts
    • 3,441Thanks
    newleaf
    item drastically reduced in price shortly after purchase
    • 6th Oct 17, 5:34 PM
    item drastically reduced in price shortly after purchase 6th Oct 17 at 5:34 PM
    I bought an expensive coat a couple of days ago, a 'new season' waterproof, so obviously I was not expecting it to be reduced in price any time soon, and I needed it. It came today, and I'm very pleased with it, so I went back to the website intending to leave a favourable review but was then very shocked to find that it has 40% off in a weekend promotion!
    I suppose could repurchase and return the original, but that would incur a returns cost.
    Do I have any grounds to ask for a refund of the difference in price between the price I paid and the current offer?
    I've emailed them to complain, but I would like to be certain of my rights before I start arguing the toss.
    Official DFW Nerd No 096 - Proud to have dealt with my debt!
Page 2
    • SouthUKMan
    • By SouthUKMan 9th Oct 17, 9:17 PM
    • 381 Posts
    • 304 Thanks
    SouthUKMan
    Social skills perhaps.
    Originally posted by Sicard
    This is a forum where a range of views and opinions are sought and exchanged. Personally I find the way the op handled this situation distasteful. End of.
    • johnson293
    • By johnson293 13th Jul 18, 11:33 AM
    • 470 Posts
    • 220 Thanks
    johnson293
    We've just had a similar thing happen to us, with Goldsmiths.

We bought 2 wedding rings, one for me and one for her - mine had to be made/sized, but her size was in stock. We paid for both rings, and took hers home.

This week, we got the call that my ring was ready and to go and try it & collect it. On visiting the store, they now have an up to 50% sale on... sods law, the ring we bought for her is 50% off, down from 600 to 300.

After getting my ring, we (cheekily) asked the assistant if there was any refund of the difference available, otherwise we'd consider returning it and ordering it again online (they had sold out of it instore).

She was fine about it and said just to return the ring with receipt to store, and they would simply process a return/refund, and we'd simply buy the same ring back at the lower price.

We were surprised they were so open to doing that, and after checking the receipt, it stated refunds within 14 days only (exchanges within 30 days), and we were slightly over the 14 days, but they sorted a refund of the difference (300) without issue.

So, big thumbs up for Goldsmiths ,and we now have 300 more to spend towards wedding stuff.
    • reason2
    • By reason2 13th Jul 18, 3:54 PM
    • 265 Posts
    • 286 Thanks
    reason2
    I look forward to the OP buying something and seeing it 48 hours later for 40% more and offering the company the difference between what they paid and what the new price is..
    • shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 13th Jul 18, 5:05 PM
    • 10,120 Posts
    • 11,367 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    I look forward to the OP buying something and seeing it 48 hours later for 40% more and offering the company the difference between what they paid and what the new price is..
    Originally posted by reason2
    You do know what the name of this website is don't you?
    They had every right to enquire about getting a refund of the difference (just as the retailer had the right to refuse the request) and for 300, I don't blame them in the least.
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 13th Jul 18, 9:48 PM
    • 32,115 Posts
    • 20,203 Thanks
    DCFC79
    We've just had a similar thing happen to us, with Goldsmiths.

We bought 2 wedding rings, one for me and one for her - mine had to be made/sized, but her size was in stock. We paid for both rings, and took hers home.

This week, we got the call that my ring was ready and to go and try it & collect it. On visiting the store, they now have an up to 50% sale on... sods law, the ring we bought for her is 50% off, down from 600 to 300.

After getting my ring, we (cheekily) asked the assistant if there was any refund of the difference available, otherwise we'd consider returning it and ordering it again online (they had sold out of it instore).

She was fine about it and said just to return the ring with receipt to store, and they would simply process a return/refund, and we'd simply buy the same ring back at the lower price.

We were surprised they were so open to doing that, and after checking the receipt, it stated refunds within 14 days only (exchanges within 30 days), and we were slightly over the 14 days, but they sorted a refund of the difference (300) without issue.

So, big thumbs up for Goldsmiths ,and we now have 300 more to spend towards wedding stuff.
    Originally posted by johnson293
    Why drag up an old thread ?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

18Posts Today

4,434Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Donald Trump has apologised and admits he said would when he meant "wouldn't" when siding with Putin over US inte? https://t.co/z1CRJSkEO1

• About to watch #AckleyBridge on C4+1. I do enjoy it, even though I always feel somewhat stressed and depressed after watching.

• RT @stevenowottny: 19/30 UK airports now charge you for spending 10 mins dropping someone off at the terminal - good investigation from @je?

• Follow Martin