Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    • EddyBaloch
    • By EddyBaloch 5th Oct 17, 10:14 PM
    • 59Posts
    • 10Thanks
    House running tips
    • #1
    • 5th Oct 17, 10:14 PM
    House running tips 5th Oct 17 at 10:14 PM
    Dear fellow members,

    I am awaiting completion on my first house in two weeks. I have always lived in rented flats before so will really appreciate if you can give me some tips on how to run and maintain a house. My biggest concern is what to do if there is a gas leak or a toilet block? Can I take out specific insurance which can allow me to call someone to come and look/repair the fault (similar to breakdown cover for cars?) Or do i need to maintain a network of plumbers, electricians etc? So far all I have got is a building & contents insurance in which I pay extra to have home emergency cover. But I am not sure whether that's sufficient or not.

    It is a 1950s semi detached. The property is in need of a lot of modernisation which I am planning on carrying out in piece-meal basis as I save. It has got an old back boiler and the plumbing, guttering, and drains need replacing among other things but everything is in fine working order for now.

    Finally, an idea came to my mind to get electrical and gas safety checks carried before I move in. I googled and apparently I can find relevant people from to carry it out for me. What do you think?

    Thanks for reading this and I look forward to your input!

    Last edited by EddyBaloch; 05-10-2017 at 10:28 PM.
Page 2
    • SuzieSue
    • By SuzieSue 7th Oct 17, 11:28 AM
    • 3,832 Posts
    • 4,047 Thanks
    Go out and check the gutters every few months when it rains to ensure that they aren't overflowing.
    • G_M
    • By G_M 7th Oct 17, 8:47 PM
    • 44,463 Posts
    • 52,798 Thanks
    GM knows Mr Kipling's grandad.
    Originally posted by kinger101
    Do me a favour!

    It's a catch-phrase. as bad as "I'm lovin' it" by ..... that other company.

    I make my own cakes!
    • csgohan4
    • By csgohan4 7th Oct 17, 9:21 PM
    • 4,551 Posts
    • 2,841 Thanks
    Do me a favour!

    It's a catch-phrase. as bad as "I'm lovin' it" by ..... that other company.

    I make my own cakes!
    Originally posted by G_M

    Do you make your own tea too?
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land"
    • Katgrit
    • By Katgrit 8th Oct 17, 12:53 AM
    • 510 Posts
    • 1,378 Thanks
    If your toilet blocks nip down the shop and buy yourself the cheapest 2 litre bottle of fizzy pop you can find. Empty it down the sink or fill up all your glasses and mugs with it, doesn't matter. You just want the empty bottle. Now cut off the bottom 2 inches of the bottle AND MAKE SURE THE CAP IS SCREWED ON TIGHT. Holding the cap end, put it into the toilet bowl and thrust HARD into the u bend like you would with a plunger. You might want to sort of close the toilet lid as much as possible to avoid splashes. Few thrusts with your pop bottle and that'll clear even the most stubborn blockages. Its never failed me yet, and trust me, I have a habit of blocking toilets!!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

71Posts Today

1,905Users online

Martin's Twitter