Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    • camz2017
    • By camz2017 4th Oct 17, 9:51 PM
    • 347Posts
    • 594Thanks
    • #1
    • 4th Oct 17, 9:51 PM
    Usa 4th Oct 17 at 9:51 PM
    Hi All,

    I have 32,000 debt outstanding, I have been paying it down from 35k in the past few months and using YNAB to monitor everything.

    My employer has asked me to relocate abroad to America, which will happen Q1 2018.

    I intend on continuing to make payments, but a few questions:
    1. How best to keep making payments? Keep a UK bank account open? I don't have any family left in the UK so I would have to just leave it registered at an old address.

    2. If for whatever reason the pound becomes so strong and I actually cannot afford repayments, what could my lenders do whilst I am abroad? Can they issue a CCJ whilst abroad or make me bankrupt from abroad? Can they ring my UK employer and reveal everything?

    3. Assuming they do all things in number 2, would this affect me getting residency in the US later down the line? Or prevent me renewing a visa?

    4. Do I need to give everyone my US address?

    I'm worried the debt basically almost doubles in dollars!!

    In terms of staying in the UK, it's not really a choice at this stage.
Page 1
  • National Debtline
    • #2
    • 5th Oct 17, 11:03 AM
    • #2
    • 5th Oct 17, 11:03 AM
    Hi camz2017 and welcome to MSE,

    In terms of maintaining the payments, you could make some enquiries with the bank. You may be able to pay from abroad, but the bank may charge you for converting the payments from dollars to pounds. Some bank accounts can be used more easily than others when you are abroad so you may want to look into this with the different banks before you go.

    If you maintain the payments, then you are unlikely to hear much about them. You are very unlikely to be able to use the credit abroad so your debts will hopefully go down quicker. However, if you can no longer able to maintain the payments it does become more complicated. You could try and negotiate with the debts from America. You would need a SOA (budget) and you could try and negotiate a more affordable payment via email (rather than post). They could use UK debt collectors or county court, but if you are abroad with no property or assets in the UK this is unlikely to really affect you and they are also unlikely to make you bankrupt. They will have no right to contact your employer about your debts.

    However, they may try and pursue you in America. This would be complicated as there is no reciprocal agreement between the UK and USA, so we don't necessarily recognise each other's debts, but if you were pursued in America you would need local advice. And whether this would affect your visa applications is also something you may also need local advice on. Best of luck,

    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,158Posts Today

7,726Users online

Martin's Twitter